pixeltracker

NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions- Page 2

NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#25NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 12:40pm

ljay889 said: "Green is absolutely right that WAR PAINT should have been nominated for score."

100% agree!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

MadsonMelo
#26NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 1:29pm

It's clear that Brantley love for Rashad and Peil clouded his opinion of who is, actually, winning those featured categories. Also, CFA with Musical and nothing else?? lol

Green is much better with the predictions. I only doubt that Greif will win over Chavkin's masterful work of direction.

I'm really sad for Steele, but Creel is also amazing, would be happy at end of the day.

Also, if Little Foxes is really losing to Jitney in Revival (and may take Thompson with), I really believe that Nixon is winning as a consolation prize.

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#27NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 1:32pm

I can't wait for Come From Away to pull an Avenue Q, and see all your jaws hit the ground. cheeky

froote
#28NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 1:44pm

The only Best Musical result that would have my jaw hitting the ground is Groundhog Day. Any of the other three could easily happen.

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#29NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 1:45pm

froote said: "The only Best Musical result that would have my jaw hitting the ground is Groundhog Day. Any of the other three could easily happen.

"

Good good haha, that would shock me  also! 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#30NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:03pm

I wouldn't be shocked if CFA won, but I don't think it should.

I love Peil, but thinking she's going to win is absolutely delusional.

neonlightsxo
#31NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:05pm

Brantley is often way off on these. Green is much closer.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#32NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:10pm

Also, Jenn Colella should not win over Rachel or Stephanie.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#33NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:21pm

To me at least, Rachel Bay Jones is one of the "lockiest" picks this season, which is why both Brantley's Peil and Green's Colella selections surprised me. 

nycward
#34NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:24pm

I kind of see the reasoning behind Mary Beth Peil. No, I haven't seen the show but this is a woman who has been a reliable musical theatre actress for 40 years. She played Anna opposite Yul Brynner and at 76 might just get a lot of sympathy as I believe this is her first nomination. Also Anastasia is a hit and won't receive anything else. I think some of these older Tony voters think like Oscar voters in this way. Besides, the touring croud will get to say Tony winning musical when Anastasia tours. I personally would vote for RBJ but I would applaud the sentiment if MBP won.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#35NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:39pm

This is her second nomination since The King and I.

neonlightsxo
#36NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:42pm

I agree that Rachel Bay Jones is a lock. But again, these 2 have never really been great at picking winners in the past.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#37NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:45pm

ljay889 said: "This is her second nomination since The King and I.

"

Since The King and I? Her nomination this year for Anastasia is her second Tony nom ever.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#38NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:45pm

To be clear, this is Mary Beth Peil's second Tony nomination. She was nominated for Best Feautred Actress in a Musical in 1985 for The King and I (she was below the title).

I don't think anyone would be mad with her winning. She's a beloved actress who has consistently worked onstage for decades and is TV's Jackie Florrick. To still be doing great work is a testament to her rich talents, and I'm glad she's getting recognized.

bear88
#39NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:47pm

What if voters are split between Jones, Block, and Colella, leaving an opening for a respected Broadway veteran like Peil? It doesn't seem very likely, based on what I've read, but it doesn't seem totally insane as a longshot prediction.

I am curious about how Great Comet will do overall, and I wonder why people still think it's a serious contender for Best New Musical. I loved the show, and I can make a case for it, but it seems like the two leading contenders are Dear Evan Hansen and Come From Away. Even the show's biggest fans here seem resigned to the likelihood that it won't win, probably won't get Score, and might not get anything but technical awards. But I don't know any Tony voters, don't have any idea about a groundswell behind this show or that one. I'm just curious.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#40NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:52pm

HeyMrMusic said: "I don't think anyone would be mad with her winning. She's a beloved actress who has consistently worked onstage for decades and is TV's Jackie Florrick. To still be doing great work is a testament to her rich talents, and I'm glad she's getting recognized.

"

Oh absolutely! I love that she's finally received another nomination after a too long an absence from the Tony radar. In the past few years, she's done so many fantastic shows ("Women on the Verge," "Follies," "The Visit," "Les Liaisons Dangereuses"), too, that she's long overdue for the recognition. I wouldn't mind if she won this year, but mostly because I want her to be a Tony winner.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#41NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:58pm

PianoMann said: "Oh absolutely! I love that she's finally received another nomination after a too long an absence from the Tony radar. In the past few years, she's done so many fantastic shows ("Women on the Verge," "Follies," "The Visit," "Les Liaisons Dangereuses"NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions, too, that she's long overdue for the recognition. I wouldn't mind if she won this year, but mostly because I want her to be a Tony winner."

Agreed! She is wonderful in everything she does, especially the ones you mentioned. (Well, I didn't get around to Les Liasons Dangereuses, but to have two juicy roles in one season...wow!

broadwayboy223
#42NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 3:21pm

Any chance that Block could win and pull an upset?

froote
#43NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 3:29pm

bear88 said: "I am curious about how Great Comet will do overall, and I wonder why people still think it's a serious contender for Best New Musical. I loved the show, and I can make a case for it, but it seems like the two leading contenders are Dear Evan Hansen and Come From Away. Even the show's biggest fans here seem resigned to the likelihood that it won't win, probably won't get Score, and might not get anything but technical awards. But I don't know any Tony voters, don't have any idea about a groundswell behind this show or that one. I'm just curious."

I think it's still a serious contender because I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, other than the fact people keep repeating 'it's between CFA and DEH.' Why is it? Comet has acclaim, 12 Tony nominations, it has just as much of a fanbase on here as DEH and probably more of one than CFA. I can see the inaccessibility argument and the divisive nature of the show but I think that would more likely work against it if the award was voted for on a preferential ballot, like Best Picture at the Oscars. 

Again, I'm not saying it's winning, but I think it's foolish for anyone to count it out, especially as it's poised to take a ton of Tonys home unlike Come From Away.

Updated On: 5/11/17 at 03:29 PM

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#44NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 3:33pm

I'm surprised no one thinks Zaks could get Director for Dolly. It just feels like enough of a juggernaut that I wouldn't be surprised if it came through with a bit of a sweep (costumes, scenic, lighting, direction all feel possible to me with actress, featured actor and revival being locks). I'm not basing this on which awards I think it deserves. I just have that strange kind of hunch that while everyone's debating Comet vs. Hansen vs. Come from Away, Dolly could surge and take home a bucketful of Tonys.

froote
#45NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 3:35pm

Scenic design is much more of a lock for Comet than featured actor is for Hello Dolly.

pupscotch
#46NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 4:23pm

froote said: "Scenic design is much more of a lock for Comet than featured actor is for Hello Dolly.

"

If Comet doesn't win scenic design, there will be something seriously wrong.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#47NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 4:27pm

broadwayboy223 said: "Any chance that Block could win and pull an upset?"

^YES! Please baby Jesus! Give FALSETTOS just one! 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#48NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 6:02pm

I think Comet's costume design was actually a much more impressive feat. The seamless integration not only across cultures but across generations is remarkable. Comet's worth the award more so than Hello, Dolly!'s beautiful yet predictable and definitely not extraordinary costumes.

I think the same applies for lighting and scenic design. I won't be upset about Hello, Dolly! taking the scenic design, however. While simple, it was very effective at evoking the era. It was beautifully executed and stayed true to the nature of the piece as well.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#49NYTimes' Brantley & Green Make Their 2017 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 5/11/17 at 6:11pm

I love and like immensely a number of new shows this year, including Great Comet.   I was surprised by it being the nomination leader....which had made me re-think it's chances to win Best Musical.   The only things I think are a given: Midler and Platt.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.