What, No Bette?

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#75What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 6:18pm

bwaydreamer said: "Bette won't be performing, she won't risk the live aspect in a space where she and the producers don't have complete control. She does the whole show with an ear piece in for christ's sake.  They are trying to avoiding a CZJ moment understandably, but it is sad that it won't be recorded for history on the tony's as she obviously could do it and sound great.  Very odd to do Hello Dolly without Dolly.

"

What is the CZJ moment being referenced here a couple of times??

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#76What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 6:20pm

Her fairly terrible Tony performance (not that it actually mattered; it wasn't reflective of her performance in the show and she won anyway).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#77What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 6:25pm

A Canadian in NYC said: What is the CZJ moment being referenced here a couple of times??"

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#78What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 6:49pm

We're seeing Anastasia and Dolly (again) tomorrow? I will ask her myself. 

(hahahahah) I think it's publicity; from what I read David Merrick would be proud of all this.

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#79What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 6:49pm

Bette does the show with an ear piece? I didn't know this. Is it to hear herself or receive cues?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#80What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 6:53pm

bwaydreamer said: "Bette won't be performing, she won't risk the live aspect in a space where she and the producers don't have complete control. "

What? This is Bette-friggin-Midler we're talking about. One of the greatest live performers of our time. Bette can walk in to any theater and have the audience in the palm of her hand. Bette has a long history of taking control of award shows the moment she steps on stage. A "Bette is so scared" narrative is laughable.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#81What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 6:59pm

CallMeAl2 said: "bwaydreamer said: "Bette won't be performing, she won't risk the live aspect in a space where she and the producers don't have complete control. "

What? This is Bette-friggin-Midler we're talking about. One of the greatest live performers of our time. Bette can walk in to any theater and have the audience in the palm of her hand. Bette has a long history of taking control of award shows the moment she steps on stage. A "Bette is so scared" narrative is laughable."

??????Amen. The woman I saw at Shubert a month ago is a force of nature, she is not scared of performing in front of an audience. A very loving audience, none the less.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

bwaydreamer
#82What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 7:28pm

Not saying she is scared, but she always has control.  As does Scott Rudin.  They don't want any risk that something could go wrong that could be out of her control as well.  something off with the sound or the mic doesn't work, anything that could potentially paint her in not the best light.  I love Bette and am not knocking her talent, just stating facts I've heard.  And yes she does have an ear piece in the show in case she drops a line or flubs up something.  She called line many times in previews so this was added for her sake.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#83What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 7:31pm

bwaydreamer said: "Not saying she is scared, but she always has control.  As does Scott Rudin.  They don't want any risk that something could go wrong that could be out of her control as well.  something off with the sound or the mic doesn't work, anything that could potentially paint her in not the best light.  I love Bette and am not knocking her talent, just stating facts I've heard.  And yes she does have an ear piece in the show in case she drops a line or flubs up something.  She called line many times in previews so this was added for her sake.

"

What a load of baloney from top to bottom. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

BWAY Baby2
#84What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 8:02pm

Ridiculous- and I also believe it will be resolved soon- and I hope Bette opens the show with Hello, Dolly, wins her much deserved award for Best Actress in a Musical- and basks in the love and adulation she so richly deserves. Love her.

bwaydreamer
#85What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 8:27pm

Nothing to resolve, it's not happening. Let it go 

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#86What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 8:47pm

Ahhhh.. Catherine Zeta-Jones... of course!  Thanks haterobics for posting that epic performance What, No Bette?  

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#87What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 8:54pm

DAME said: "What a load of baloney from top to bottom. "

I'm with you. If this were Barbra Streisand, then yeah - I would buy the control thing. But Bette is not Barbra. Sure, Bette will flub a line or a note, but she will take it in stride and make it part of the evening's entertainment specifically because her performances aren't based on her ego, but on giving the audience a good time. She would slip on a banana peel if she thought the audience would love it.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#88What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 8:56pm

This topic has galvanized various camps. In the glass half full department: this show is adored, as is Midler. Everyone wants a transcendent experience watching it -- and Bette -- receive recognition at the Tony's.  Like many, I hold out hope that things will resolve, and that an accommodation ... to someone ... will be brokered.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#89What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 9:01pm

After less than 24 hours and the number of responses on this thread, I will be disappointed if Bette does perform at this point as it means people have all been played and given these people more undeserved/free attention.  {YAWN}  after one of the more exciting seasons in a long time, with so much potential that was unnecessarily snubbed (Yes, I'm talking about Sunset Boulevard and even Anastasia, which while not my thing would have been a huge interest to a large audience... Not to mention Jake Gyllenhall and Sunday in the Park....) this is really pathetic.  Oh Will she or wont she perform???  They should've taken her initial "No" as the final answer and moved on.  But I suspect - WOW - SHOCK - she opens the Tonys.

At this point, I doubt I'm going to even watch the telecast...

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#90What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 9:20pm

I'm really kind of shocked. The "no Bette at the Tonys" even seems to apply to the 1st ever Tony compilation CD/download.

17 tracks but no "Hello Dolly", not even DHP or Gavin and Kate. 

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

SFFrontRow
#91What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/30/17 at 9:52pm

Add my voice to the chorus of disappointment to the producers of Hello Dolly! (and yes, its almighty star Ms Midler) for putting all the fans though this ridiculous temper tantrum. They ain't Hamilton, never was and never will be. What a crock of S**T. 

Apparently, they really don't care about the general theater public who really want to see a snippet of the great Ms Midler performing in a role she was made for. Oh well, I guess they are making the money they wanted, and aren't putting this on the road, so who gives a rat's ass about the public.

Thanks for nothing Mr Rudin, Ms Midler, and all the other money grubbing, snot rags associated with this production.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#92What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 12:14am

Here's a not too complicated solution and one that would definitely enliven the proceedings:  (Mark Evanier is a television writer)

How to get Bette Live on the Tonys

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#93What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 3:28am

Bette too scared to sing live at Radio City? You young things know she has played there live many times before on her tours and always sold out that 6,000 seat house, right? I first saw her live there and unbelievably she overwhelmed the space.

Whatever is going on -- producer dispute, star dispute, cast (dancers) safety dispute, Merrick inspired publicity campaign for the show or for the Tonys, whatever -- Bette is not afraid of appearing live at Radio City.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#94What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 4:41am

Call_me_jorge said: "Hasn't Bette done tours in front of Arena sized crowds? I'm pretty sure she's not nervous of the size of radio city.

"

She has played Radio City Music Hall. It was the first place I saw her live.

Why is all the invective directed at Rudin and Midler? Why don't we hate on CBS? What's the big deal, really? It was only a few years ago we got a remote Tony performance from a cruise ship!

After Eight
#95What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 6:14am

SFFrontRow said:

"Add my voice to the chorus of disappointment to the producers of Hello Dolly! (and yes, its almighty star Ms Midler) for putting all the fans though this ridiculous temper tantrum. "

Frankly, your little temper tantrum here comes off as, well, a faintly ridiculous temper tantrum. 

"They ain't Hamilton, never was and never will be."

Thank heavens for that! And do you really that Hamilton's performing on the awards show was an act of pure selflessness and magnanimity on that show's part?

"Apparently, they really don't care about the general theater public who really want to see a snippet of the great Ms Midler performing in a role she was made for. Oh well, I guess they are making the money they wanted, and aren't putting this on the road, so who gives a rat's ass about the public."

Were you equally irate at the producers of Sunday in the Park With George for withdrawing their show from Tony consideration? They equally deprived the general theatre public of seeing Jake Gyllenhaal performing in a scene from a show that the critics proclaimed a masterpiece. They made the money they wanted, and haven't put it on the road..... so where's your anger at them?

"Thanks for nothing Mr Rudin, Ms Midler, and all the other money grubbing, snot rags associated with this production."

Personally, I say thanks to all of them for bringing Hello, Dolly! back to Broadway and showing us what a real musical with real music is, should be, and should have been all these years.

And yes, I'm disappointed with not seeing a number from the show at the Tonys. I would also have liked to see pictures of the opening night festivities. But one can't always have everything one wants. And my disappointment is minuscule compared to my gratitude for having Hello, Dolly! back where it belongs.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#96What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 7:19am

What I don't understand is that a handful of shows have performed on their own stages, or in other locations, on the Tony telecast before. The precedent has already been set, so I'm confused by the Tonys adamant "no."

neonlightsxo
#97What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 9:43am

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "What I don't understand is that a handful of shows have performed on their own stages, or in other locations, on the Tony telecast before. The precedent has already been set, so I'm confused by the Tonys adamant "no.""

The awards show declined to allow “Hello, Dolly!” to perform remotely, concerned about setting a precedent. The Tonys have occasionally aired musical numbers remotely from other theaters, but in recent years the broadcast has ended that practice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/29/theater/hello-dolly-bette-midler-seems-unlikely-to-sing-at-tony-awards.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftheater&action=click&contentCollection=theater&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#98What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 10:57am

I blame Scott Rudin. I blame Scott Rudin's MASSIVE ego. I blame everything about Scott Rudin that has always made him the biggest ASSHOLE in the entertainment industry.

willrolandsframes
#99What, No Bette?
Posted: 5/31/17 at 11:38am

PalJoey said: " 

I blame Scott Rudin. I blame Scott Rudin's MASSIVE ego. I blame everything about Scott Rudin that has always made him the biggest ASSHOLE in the entertainment industry.
"

Thank you. This is what needed to be said.

I truly think there's more here. Rudin seems like the kind of guy who's mentally 7 steps ahead of the Tony producers.

If I was forced to bet on what happens with Dolly on Tony night, I would bet that we won't even see Penny in my Pocket. In fact, we will probably see no Dolly whatsoever in an attempt by Rudin to keep the entirety of the production behind closed doors.

Financially, this is genius by Rudin if the above conclusion is fulfilled. He just got free publicity, and now more people are intrigued to go see this production, so they'll pay $200 to go see it, or pay for a $700 premium ticket. Rudin will make money, and Bette will win her Tony. Rudin wins. Broadway loses.

However, there is always a moral argument. And these kind of shenanigans belong nowhere near the Great White Way. I know it's probably not possible, but in my opinion, this is the kind of gamesmanship that could get Scott Rudin removed from the Broadway League and banned from producing at all on Broadway.