pixeltracker

ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018- Page 2

ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018

Alessio2
#25ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/4/17 at 7:38pm

Seeing this next week in LaJolla, I have a friend in the show.  For those criticizing the show, have you even seen it?

asmith0307
#26ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/4/17 at 9:03pm

I can answer that question.. No, they more than likely haven't.

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#27ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/4/17 at 9:20pm

I saw it in La Jolla yesterday. It's an entertaining critic-proof jukebox musical in the same vein as Mamma Mia. The plot "excuses" for songs can be pretty lame. For example, a character is looking for a salt shaker so the plot can segue into the "Margaritaville" song ("Wasted away again in Margaritaville, searchin' for my lost shaker of salt.) The cast are all talented. The score is a Jimmy Buffet greatest hits collection. Lisa Howard is definitely the standout in the cast, taking her character beyond cardboard characterization. 

I definitely expect more work to be done on the show before Broadway, especially the corny book which requires more genuine laughs. The La Jolla crowd was filled with Parrot Heads (Jimmy Buffet) fans, all of whom seemed to be of retirement age.  Since the sets are made to tour, a limited run on Broadway could probably still recoup with the tour continuing to other cities.  

For those of you who enjoy jukebox musicals and/or love Jimmy Buffet the show will be enjoyable. Those of you who are looking for a solidly constructed musical will be probably be disappointed.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#28ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/4/17 at 9:38pm

I think a lot of people are underestimating the appeal of Jimmy Buffet. From his music to his restaurants to his clothing line to his SiriusXM station, this is the kind of show that is going to appeal to the tourist husbands that may not be into seeing a musical. I'm not talking about quality of his music or the show itself, I'm just talking about the built-in appeal of his brand.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#29ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/4/17 at 10:13pm

Sounds like a perfect show for a Carnival Cruise. Personally I can't think of a bigger waste of a Broadway Theatre.

green waver
#30ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/4/17 at 10:42pm

My, the condescension is raining down-and not based on anything concrete, but the mere idea of such a project. Well, not all successful musicals are witty, profound, boldly innovative, etc. Did you ever see Rock of Ages, a show that even joked about how superficial it was? It went on to have quite a successful run. Given half a chance, an entertaining show can find its audience.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#31ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/4/17 at 11:08pm

No condescension. Jukebox musicals are to theatre what "Survivor" or "Honey Boo Boo" is to TV. They have an audience but are not to my taste.

green waver
#32ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/4/17 at 11:22pm

South Fl Marc said: "No condescension. Jukebox musicals are to theatre what "Survivor" or "Honey Boo Boo" is to TV. They have an audience but are not to my taste.

"So you know before you even see a musical, if it contains pre existing well known pop songs, that you're going to hate it? Even if its as well executed as say, Jersey Boys? That's quite a pre judgement, or more simply, a prejudice.

zainmax
#33ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:02am

Forbes has an article on it, and says that " tickets will go on sale to special fans three weeks before the general public tomorrow morning." How do you become a special fan? I like Paul Alexander Nolan, and I'd be interested in seeing it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marchershberg/2017/06/04/margaritaville-to-move-into-marquis-theatre/#46f9b4f9136a

CaseyBrent41
#34ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:04am

I TOLD ALL YOU PEEEPS SPONGEBOB TO THE PALACE FOR A LIMITED RUn, but no one believed me! D:

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#35ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:22am

What role does Lisa Howard play?

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#36ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:30am

icecreambenjamin said: "I'll give it at most two months."

You don't know many Parrot Heads, do you?

Don't be surprised if this turns into the box office hit of next season. 

"I shall stay until the wind changes."
Updated On: 6/5/17 at 11:30 AM

perfectliar
#37ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:53am

CaseyBrent41 said: "I TOLD ALL YOU PEEEPS SPONGEBOB TO THE PALACE FOR A LIMITED RUn, but no one believed me! D:"

Wtf does this announcement have to do with Spongebob?

Willie4316
#38ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:15pm

perfectliar said: "CaseyBrent41 said: "I TOLD ALL YOU PEEEPS SPONGEBOB TO THE PALACE FOR A LIMITED RUn, but no one believed me! D:"

Wtf does this announcement have to do with Spongebob?
"

The rumors were that Spongebob was waiting for the Marquis to clear out and take that. Escape claimed the Marquis, leading to the rumor that if Spongebob were to come in, it would be a larger house such as the Palace. Playbill and BWWorld both just confirmed that Spongebob will be going to the Palace. 

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#39ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:28pm

Did they add this song yet?

Love Boat soon will be making another run
The Love Boat promises something for everyone
Set a course for adventure
Your mind on a new romance

Love wont hurt anymore
Its an open smile on a friendly shore
Yes love...
Its love...

cryan71
#40ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:43pm

I saw it this past weekend.  A couple of points:

• highest grossing show in La Jolla Playhouse history
  • Most repeat viewing in La Jolla Playhouse history (the house manager told me people were seeing it 2 or 3 times)
  • Extended 3 times
  • Many of the audience was in costume and they really enjoyed this.  And they are the perfect Broadway demographic 50s - 60s.

The issues for me were:

• Story was wonky in the act 1 and many of the jokes didn't land
  • Not exactly enthused by the non-hit songs
  • Some of the parrot heads don't really know how to behave in a broadway show.

My question:

This will do well in the summer when the tourists are in town, but during the winter, will the New Yorkers come and see it?  This isn't high drama or deep, it's just a fun show.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/6/17 at 2:49pm

cryan71 said: "I saw it this past weekend.  A couple of points:

• Most repeat viewing in La Jolla Playhouse history (the house manager told me people were seeing it 2 or 3 times)
  • Extended 3 times
  • Many of the audience was in costume and they really enjoyed this.  And they are the perfect Broadway demographic 50s - 60s.

The issues for me were:

• Story was wonky in the act 1 and many of the jokes didn't land
  • Not exactly enthused by the non-hit songs
  • Some of the parrot heads don't really know how to behave in a broadway show.

My question:

This will do well in the summer when the tourists are in town, but during the winter, will the New Yorkers come and see it?  This isn't high drama or deep, it's just a fun show.

Some of the parrot heads don't really know how to behave in a broadway show.

Many of the audience was in costume and they really enjoyed this.  And they are the perfect Broadway demographic 50s - 60s.

UGH! Please no!

"Sounds like the white trash-drunken mess crowd that go to Key West is the crowd for this...

Will it last by next summer? 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

whatever2
#42ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/6/17 at 4:17pm

Between the tourists and the bridge-and-tunnel crowd, this will achieve commercial success ... like it or not, we'll all probably still be wasting away again in Margaritaville at next year's Tonys -- "with special appearance by musical legend Jimmy Buffett."

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#43ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/6/17 at 4:19pm

The bar at the Marquis better have a kickass drink menu when I inevitably see this.

mlsheehan Profile Photo
mlsheehan
#44ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/6/17 at 4:58pm

What role does Lisa Howard play?

She ia the best friend of the lead.  It's a major supporting role.  She's a lot of fun in it!

The bar at the Marquis better have a kickass drink menu when I inevitably see this.

There were special drinks in La Jolla.  Margarita machines, and I believe they had the drinks that were featured prominently in the show as well.  Also, lots of concession items.  There is money behind this show.

Updated On: 6/6/17 at 04:58 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#45ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/6/17 at 6:22pm

I don't know why but the thought of Brantley reviewing this show sitting next to "Parrotheads" just makes me laugh.

cryan71
#46ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/6/17 at 7:28pm

I think you are right about the Bridge and Tunnel crowd.  There's a reason why Rock of Ages lasted so long on Broadway.  

However, I'm sure they are going to make a ton of changes before it goes to Broadway.  It has 3 more productions this year.  Who knows, it might be in great shape by the first preview.

VintageSnarker
#47ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/6/17 at 7:50pm

cryan71 said: "I saw it this past weekend.  A couple of points:

• Extended 3 times

Didn't it just open? How do they have such high repeat viewing numbers? Or do people just usually not see shows multiple times at La Jolla? 

How do you come "in costume" for a show like this? 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#48ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/6/17 at 8:57pm

VintageSnarker said: "cryan71 said: "I saw it this past weekend.  A couple of points:

• Extended 3 times

Didn't it just open? How do they have such high repeat viewing numbers? Or do people just usually not see shows multiple times at La Jolla? 

How do you come "in costume" for a show like this? 

"

Considering it's a subscription non-profit house, I'd gather a guess that no, they don't have repeat attendees often. However, considering there was a preview period prior to opening there have been planets of opportunities for return visits. 

I've heard maybe 3 Jimmy Buffett songs in my life and even I can guess how people might "dress up" for this search. Google Jimmy Buffett and you'll get an idea. 

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#49ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE to Take the Marquis Theatre in Spring 2018
Posted: 6/26/17 at 3:44pm

mlsheehan said: "What role does Lisa Howard play?

She ia the best friend of the lead.  It's a major supporting role.  She's a lot of fun in it!

There were special drinks in La Jolla.  Margarita machines, and I believe they had the drinks that were featured prominently in the show as well.  Also, lots of concession items.  There is money behind this show.

I may go just for the drinks and the fun of it.  Is there a Playbill out yet?  I really like the graphics I've seen so far.

"