pixeltracker

CFA now the favorite for Tony?- Page 2

CFA now the favorite for Tony?

froote
#25CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:53am

Jarethan, my point is that audiences (whether teenagers or traditional audiences) don't decide what wins Tonys. So stating that DEH is going to win musical, score and book so definitively in such a competitive year - by 60-70% - because of enthusiastic audiences is naive and overly presumptuous. Particularly so when you state two other musicals that have been both critically acclaimed and performed well with other awards have 'no chance'. As I said, Anastasia's audiences are just as enthusiastic and it didn't turn out so well for them on the awards front. Likewise, Wicked would have been an easy winner if this was how the Tonys were judged.

Of course you can believe what you want and maybe you will be right, but I don't think you're using an accurate metric of judgement.

Updated On: 6/5/17 at 12:53 AM

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#26CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 12:59am

I think it's unfair to say one musical will win over the other because of its message. 

CFA and DEH have messages that are very important right now. One is about the relationship with ourselves  and those close to us, and the other is about our relationship with a foreign entity. 

(But then the third is a striking revolutionary piece about the new places theatre can go to while exploring the human condition so ¯\_(?)_/¯ )

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#27CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 1:12am

I recently visited my hometown and the school that I went to and when I asked anyone what they thought about the current broadway season, the only show that they could name was Dear Evan Hansen (and Hello, Dolly!).  Have whatever opinion you want about the show, it has somehow reached out beyond the normal NYC theatre crowd and effected a lot of people from all over the US.  It may not be as big a phenomenon as Hamilton, but it's still much bigger than the any of the recent best musical winners or nominees.  It really is the hot new show in town, regardless of what everyone on here thinks of it.  Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with DEH or The Great Comet winning.

Gensho Profile Photo
Gensho
#28CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 2:26am

Dear Evan Hansen is going to win Best Musical. 

djoko84
#29CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 6:54am

Dear Evan Hansen will win. Just because it wasn't eligible at the Drama Desks doesn't all of a sudden mean CFA is the frontrunner. But you can predict CFA and look dumb while I'll pick DEH and look like a Tonys scholar.

TigerBait88 Profile Photo
TigerBait88
#30CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 7:21am

Threads like this are annoying. As others have said, CFA wasn't even the big winner of the night and DEH and TGC were ineligible. Nothing has changed really except some good press for CFA for a day or so

Broadway61004
#31CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 8:14am

Also, it's a completely different voting body between the Drama Desks and the Tonys, so even if all 3 had been eligible, what would that really tell us?

With that said, yes, it still seems to be a neck and neck race between DEH and CFA, with Hansen still having a slight edge, but Come From Away definitely a strong contender. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#32CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 8:44am

LesWickedly said: "I think another reason I want Dear Evan Hansen to win is so it can limit the amount of people calling it a show for teens when it's really much more than that.

"

To be fair, the NYT said it was a musical "for anyone with a beating heart." And that review is everywhere. So I think people know that it's much more at this point. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#33CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 8:58am

It's interesting that many seem to think Rachel Chavkin will win for Direction but predict either Dear Evan Hansen or Come From Away will win Best Musical. The last time the production of a Best Direction of a Musical winner didn't win was in 2006 when John Doyle won for Sweeney Todd.

#34CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 9:09am

HeyMrMusic said: "It's interesting that many seem to think Rachel Chavkin will win for Direction but predict either Dear Evan Hansen or Come From Away will win Best Musical. The last time the production of a Best Direction of a Musical winner didn't win was in 2006 when John Doyle won for Sweeney Todd.

"

No, it was in 2013 when Diane Paulus won Best Direction for Pippin

rjm516
#35CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 9:23am

My vote would be for DEH, but from everything I've heard said about Comet lately and the word of mouth, it almost seems like the underdog compared to Comet.

After Eight
#36CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 9:25am

"If we went off audience reactions, Anastasia would have 10 nominations.

"

If that's the case, I wish they went off audience reactions. cheeky"

So do I. It was a million times more enjoyable than these four dismal nominees.

What a lamentable state of affairs.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#37CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 9:53am

After Eight said: "What a lamentable state of affairs."

Perhaps you should consider going to church and reciting the Book of Lamentations rather than the theatre. 

P.S. You seem to be advocating for awards based on the taste of children rather than adults. LOL

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#38CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:11am

245601 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "It's interesting that many seem to think Rachel Chavkin will win for Direction but predict either Dear Evan Hansen or Come From Away will win Best Musical. The last time the production of a Best Direction of a Musical winner didn't win was in 2006 when John Doyle won for Sweeney Todd.

"

"

Pippin won Best Revival of a Musical.

TigerBait88 Profile Photo
TigerBait88
#39CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:13am

245601 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "It's interesting that many seem to think Rachel Chavkin will win for Direction but predict either Dear Evan Hansen or Come From Away will win Best Musical. The last time the production of a Best Direction of a Musical winner didn't win was in 2006 when John Doyle won for Sweeney Todd.

"

"

If we're talking about musicals that were eligible for best new musical and not revival then the previous point about 2006 is correct. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#40CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:21am

The pre-Tony awards (Drama Desks, Outer Critics, Drama League, Lortels, Obies, etc)are never particularly good precursors for the Tonys and people really need to screw that into their brains. Their voting bodies are all totally different- typically small groups with little overlap with Tony voters- and each have their own rules for eligibility. It's not like the Academy Awards precursors, where most of the various guilds have their own specific awards to give us an idea of what Academy members will do.

Dear Evan Hansen and Great Comet were both at a disadvantage with these awards this year for having been previously eligible (The Band's Visit will face the same disadvantage next year). Dear Evan Hansen in particular seems to have drawn the short straw by having its Off-Broadway debut in a competitive year.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#41CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:31am

If there is anything we know about the Tony's last night it is that The Great Comet will likely walk away with the most awards of the night winning anywhere from 3-6 awards including the locks of Best Scenic Design, Lighting Design, Director, the More likely than not Best Choreography, Costumes, The Likely Best Orchestrations, and then the actual competitive races Featured Actor and Best Musical.

The Great Comet:

Near Locks: Scenic Design, Lighting Design, Director

More Likely then Not: Choreography, Costumes

Competitive: Musical, Best Featured Actor, Orchestrations

If there's a Sweep: Score, Book

Come From Away:

Near Locks: Best Featured Actress

Likely: Book

Competitive: Musical, Score

If there's a sweep: Orchestrations, Choreography 

Dear Evan Hansen:

Near Locks: Best Actor

Likely: Score, Musical

Competitive: Book, Orchestrations,

If there's a Sweep: Featured Actress, Featured Actor, Director

Broadway61004
#42CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:34am

TigerBait88 said: "245601 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "It's interesting that many seem to think Rachel Chavkin will win for Direction but predict either Dear Evan Hansen or Come From Away will win Best Musical. The last time the production of a Best Direction of a Musical winner didn't win was in 2006 when John Doyle won for Sweeney Todd.

"

Agree 100% with this. While I'll freely say Chavkin deserves director (even though on the whole I think Hansen is far more deserving of Best Musical), director and production have only not matched twice this century (for musicals). Add to the fact that many people feel Grief is far overdo and Chavkin is a relative newcomer, and it actually seems rather likely Grief may take it. Also would not at all be surprised to see Jerry Zaks win.

#43CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:36am

TigerBait88 said: "245601 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "It's interesting that many seem to think Rachel Chavkin will win for Direction but predict either Dear Evan Hansen or Come From Away will win Best Musical. The last time the production of a Best Direction of a Musical winner didn't win was in 2006 when John Doyle won for Sweeney Todd.

"

"

If we're talking about musicals that were eligible for best new musical and not revival then the previous point about 2006 is correct. 

"

...but Sweeney Todd was a revival too

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#44CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 10:44am

bdn223 said: "Come From Away: Near Locks: Best Featured Actress"

That's a pretty darn bold prediction. I would say that Rachel Bay Jones is the near-lock in this category. I think Jenn Colella is great, but I'd be shocked if she won the Tony. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#45CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:02am

VotePeron said: "I would adore Great Comet to be the surprise victor, but believe Come From Away will most likely (deservingly) take it. Unless the Tony Awards completely ride the DEH hype/sensation train, I truly feel there is a strong chance for 2 of the better musicals (or even Groundhog Day which is sensational as well) to take the prize. Even Ben Platt lost at the Drama Desks last year even though you all claim he's giving one of the best performances ever, and I would love to see Andy Karl repeat his win. Sorry to be "that guy", but I just don't believe DEH is the Best Musical of 16/17, and that the hype is completely unjustified. 

"

I don't think he was even nominated last year.  I believe only RBJ was.

And I just checked: he wasn't nominated:

Outstanding Actor in a Musical
**Danny Burstein, Fiddler on the Roof**
Robert Creighton, Cagney, York Theatre Company
Michael C. Hall, Lazarus, New York Theatre Workshop
Zachary Levi, She Loves Me
Benjamin Walker, American Psycho

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 6/5/17 at 11:02 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#46CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:20am

I would hope that Costume is a lock for Hello, Dolly!.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#47CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:26am

I think Paloma Young has the edge for costumes, especially since a lot of Dolly's costumes seem to be inspired by the original design concepts.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/5/17 at 11:26 AM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#48CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:32am

Kad said: "I think Paloma Young has the edge for costumes, especially since a lot of Dolly's costumes seem to be inspired by the original design concepts.

"

I agree, I think the only person who could possibly beat Paloma Young, is Catherine Zuber, if they want to honor War Paint.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#49CFA now the favorite for Tony?
Posted: 6/5/17 at 11:35am

245601 said: "TigerBait88 said: "245601 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "It's interesting that many seem to think Rachel Chavkin will win for Direction but predict either Dear Evan Hansen or Come From Away will win Best Musical. The last time the production of a Best Direction of a Musical winner didn't win was in 2006 when John Doyle won for Sweeney Todd.

"

"

"

...but Sweeney Todd was a revival too

"

I don't think Sweeney won best revival, though

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement