disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#50Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:10pm

Rachel losing Best Direction was bull, same with GC losing Orchestrations 

BroadwayBaby4
#51Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:12pm

I think my real issue is that with so many great new shows this year I had hoped the awards would be a bit more spread out. Just getting a bit bitter for everyone at this point. 

cam5y
#52Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:14pm

Mister Matt said: "Wow people are bitter about dear evan Hansen.

Well, I think half its score is strong (the other half sounds like cheap photocopies of its other songs or numbers cut from If/Then).  But I had major issues with the story.  I wish it hadn't received awards for those plot holes.  And for being an "issue" show, I felt it missed to mark on some of its consequences,  I just felt "ick" when it was over.  Great performances (though I'm mystified about Jones winning for that particular role), great design, a handful of great songs.  That's the credit I'll give it.  Was really hoping Comet would take score and orchestrations. "

Well, I'll say it, DEH did not deserve book in my opinion. Score, fine. And I'm a big CFA fan but I'm shocked that Chavkin didn't take direction. Chris Ashley did a great job, but Chavkin's work was groundbreaking IMO.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#53Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:17pm

I'm incredibly upset DEH picked up book, score and Orchestrations. Such a triple whammy. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

TerrenceIsTheMann
#54Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:19pm

How in the world did Malloy NOT win orchestrations???????/

TerrenceIsTheMann
#55Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:22pm

Great Comet loses choreography, costumes, score, book, orchestrations. wow

froote
#56Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:27pm

TerrenceIsTheMann said: "Great Comet loses choreography, costumes, score, book, orchestrations. wow"

Don't forget direction!

10086Sundays
#57Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 10:58pm

Blah.  I know it was never gonna happen, but I had a sliver of hope for Andy upsetting Ben. 

ebontoyan
#58Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:02pm

One year, Andy will get his Tony!

10086Sundays
#59Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:06pm

ebontoyan said: "One year, Andy will get his Tony!"

I don't know. He's close to aging out of leading man role consideration. Plus, he's now headlined 2 flops so...

I know, I'm being "extra," as the kids say, but that's why I started this thread. Anyway, don't worry, that's all I'm going to say on the matter. 

SporkGoddess
#60Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:07pm

I'm upset about Great Comet losing direction, score, and orchestrations.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Willie4316
#61Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:10pm

SporkGoddess said: "I'm upset about Great Comet losing direction, score, and orchestrations."

Add Best Musical to the list

froote
#62Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:11pm

My least favorite group of winners I've ever seen at an awards show.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#63Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:13pm

I cannot believe the theatrical brilliance of Great Comet won just two Tony Awards tonight. So annoyed.

greenifyme2
#64Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:14pm

Wait, why is GHD a flop? 

schubox
#65Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:14pm

I'm a huge DEH fan and am fine with it winning Best Musical, but Malloy got robbed on orchestration and score 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#66Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:17pm

Really scratching my head over orchestrations.  Unhappy about Book, Score and Musical most.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#67Bitter Losers Tony Thread

GD is not doing particularly well at the box office....may only last through the summer.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

theater_tech
#68Bitter Losers Tony Thread

I'm gonna need therapy to digest Great Comet losing Director and Orchestrations. 

BroadwayBaby4
#69Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:19pm

is it possible everyone just got lazy and voted Dear Evan Hansen and Hello Dolly down the ballot? Certainly how it felt watching the show. Both are great and deserve awards, but I definitely think there were areas other shows performed just as well if it not better. Also a bit irritating it's the two shows that didn't need the assistance of a Tony win to sell tickets. Hoping the great performances give some of the other shows a boost. 

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#70Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:20pm

I'm really upset that after last year's winners, we truly are back to the Great WHITE Way. 

Sunny11
#71Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:21pm

10086Sundays said: "ebontoyan said: "One year, Andy will get his Tony!"

I don't know. He's close to aging out of leading man role consideration. Plus, he's now headlined 2 flops so...

I know, I'm being "extra," as the kids say, but that's why I started this thread. Anyway, don't worry, that's all I'm going to say on the matter. 

"

Only a couple of years ago Michael Cerveris won Lead actor in a musical at 55 for Fun Home.  Roger Rees was in the same catagory that year  at 71. Andy Karl still has several decades in him as a leading man. 

Updated On: 6/11/17 at 11:21 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#72Bitter Losers Tony Thread

So, CFA WINS 1 TONY...TONY for Best Director Musical-Christopher Ashley...Seriously!? WTF!

Don't get it at all!?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Sunny11
#73Bitter Losers Tony Thread

double post

Updated On: 6/11/17 at 11:21 PM

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#74Bitter Losers Tony Thread
Posted: 6/11/17 at 11:32pm

Most of my favorites losts...

Was really rooting for Andy Karl. Though Groundhog Day had its many flaws, he was perfection. 

Also bummed about Great Comet not picking up a lot of big awards. 

But most of all....

Did Bette Middler really need this award? What a pretentious piece of $&!@. Disgusting ego and atitiude. That speech did nothing but further my disdain for her.