Great Comet closing in January?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#1Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:24pm

I had a ticket to see the Saturday 6/10 matinee, and got an e-mail the night before that Groban was calling out. I only noticed this little phrase tucked away further down:

"If you are interested in exchanging your tickets for another performance of THE GREAT COMET before it closes on January 7, 2018, you may use our Online Exchange tool"

Is that the legit closing date, ya think? Or just motivation to get people to reschedule in the current block of tickets?

froote
#2Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:26pm

I don't think it would be sent out if that wasn't what they were aiming towards.

Such a shame. The show deserved more in more ways than one. 

Actorman88
#3Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:40pm

Oak is only slated for a short run, right? Is it possible that this is as far as the current block goes and they're courting some bigger names for headlining?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:43pm

It's not selling with Groban. Always up for 50% off at TKTS. I don't see it running without Groban or another big name.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

DeepVSexyWitch2
#5Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:47pm

It's selling just fine. It's average gross potential is around 85%. Just because a show isn't selling out, especially in a barn of a theatre like the Imperial, doesn't mean it's not selling. 

Rainah
#6Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:51pm

Actorman88 said: "Oak is only slated for a short run, right? Is it possible that this is as far as the current block goes and they're courting some bigger names for headlining?"

I had heard this was the case. Word of mouth from several people down the chain, so take with a grain of salt, but I was told they had "something big" planned. 

But with this news... seems like whatever it was may have fallen through. I'm devastated, I love that show (And very thankful I bought tickets to see it with Oak)

adagio
#7Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:51pm

If that's true, I'm going to have to find a way to get back to NYC this fall to see it again. Anyone got a couch I can crash on? Great Comet closing in January?

What a magnificent production!!! I hope they find some way to tour or bring it to other cities! (Chicago, hint hint...)

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#8Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 6:53pm

This is just an on sale thru date, and the email obviously mis-spoke slightly. I would say it is a likely closing date except that the producer of the show has a history of running shows into the ground and I doubt the Shuberts have told them to be out by then this soon. I'm sure they are trying to find someone who will sell tickets but it is not likely.

Dollypop
#9Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:32pm

When is Grobin  leaving?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#10Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:35pm

Josh Groban's run as Pierre ends in less then 3 weeks. Last show is July 2. Oak Onaodowan steps in the next day until Labor Day.

Dollypop
#11Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:48pm

Thanks

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

trpguyy
#12Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:49pm

A big female name will be announced soon. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#13Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:50pm

trpguyy said: "A big female name will be announced soon."

For what role? Natasha?

trpguyy
#14Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 10:52pm

Not Natasha. Don't know if she'll sell the kind of tickets Groban has, but from a creative standpoint it's brilliant casting. 

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#15Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:00pm

trpguyy said: "Not Natasha. Don't know if she'll sell the kind of tickets Groban has, but from a creative standpoint it's brilliant casting. 

"

Mate, if you're serious, don't do this to us!!! (Or at least tell us what role so we can speculate. I'm assuming Sonya, maybe Hélène?) 

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#16Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:02pm

Has she been on Broadway before?

LightsOut90
#17Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:06pm

if I had to guess it is probably someone to replace Amber as she is trying to go do Hadestown in Canada in the fall

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#18Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:12pm

Brittain Ashford tweeted something about waiting for big news when she announced she would be leaving for some weeks, so I guess we can speculate about Sonya. 

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#19Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:12pm

Hopefully it's not Leona Lewis or Nicole Scherzinger. 

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#20Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:16pm

It is a magnificent show and after missing out on some Tonys, I was afraid this might happen. It is specialty theatre after all and not for everyone. And I don't see it having a long run without a big name to draw the crowd. 

trpguyy
#21Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:21pm

"Hopefully it's not Leona Lewis or Nicole Scherzinger"

It's not

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 11:21 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#22Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:23pm

I'd gladly welcome a PM with the scoop, trpguyy... Great Comet closing in January? I'm dying to know!

#23Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:24pm

a big female name who will sell tickets is coming in and it's not for natasha... the other female roles are too minor so why would a big name do them and how many tickets can she sell with only one song.. 

Updated On: 6/14/17 at 11:24 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#24Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:25pm

bwaylyric said: "Hopefully it's not Leona Lewis or Nicole Scherzinger. 

"

I'm going to be honest, I totally forgot about Leona and Cats.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#25Great Comet closing in January?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:25pm

Can't imagine they'll ever really be able to find a big name for Natasha. Vocally, the role is extremely demanding, requiring a high soprano and a strong belt, and when you add in the physical nature of the production (all those stairs!) it's really a beast. Sonya or Helene seem like much likelier opportunities for star casting- fun roles with a plum song each, and not nearly as challenging to sing or act.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.