pixeltracker

Old folk are pretty darn bratty about Bette- Page 3

Old folk are pretty darn bratty about Bette

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#50Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 2:30pm

This has nothing to do with Bette or age.  This always happens to every show with a bankable star.  Every single time.  This is nothing new or remarkable in any way.  I've worked food service, retail, non-profit arts (including large theatre box office and ushering), and corporate and the commonality of rudeness was generally associated with wealth, not age, as it usually had to do with a person's ignorance and sense of entitlement.  Attributing rudeness to age just sounds like a real lack of awareness.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 7/20/17 at 02:30 PM

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#51Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 3:31pm

I had a really big Broadway phase during high school and college (I'd like to think I wasn't *too* obnoxious back then wink***).  I'm now 33 and starting to dip my toes back in - I can't figure out if I'm "too old" or "too young" for this fandom laugh

***Meant to be a dig at my 16 year-old self, not actual teenagers

Updated On: 7/20/17 at 03:31 PM

KathyNYC2
#52Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 3:31pm

gypsy101 said: "old people are generally ruder than people younger than them, anyone who has worked in retail or food service can attest to this.

"

That is completely the most ridiculous and rude statement I've heard in a long time. Rude is rude regardless of age. They come in all ages shapes and sizes. I'm in service and if I had to generalize (which I try not to do), I find more entitled young people.

Regardless you have the right to be disappointed but you don't have the right to be obnoxious. When Sara Bareilles missed one performance of Waitress due to illness and a complete loss of voice, some people left and got exchanges on their tickets. Others sucked it up and though it certainly was a more low key audience, they were polite and gave Stephanie Torns a standing ovation after warming up to her as the show went on. Maybe because Sara is such a sweetheart, so we're her fans. 

JennH
#53Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 3:50pm

Holy moly...to be disappointed about not seeing a particular actor is one thing, but H.D. has been the least secretive about Donna going on a certain night of the week starting a certain week. They've been FAR from deceitful, and that sign out front is as large as day, so whoever is complaining about "It's just one sign" is dumb. Same with buying tickets online, I've heard tell of the pop up saying "Bette's not on, are you sure??" People are just ridiculous...

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#54Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 4:02pm

gypsy101 said: "old people are generally ruder than people younger than them, anyone who has worked in retail or food service can attest to this."

On another planet maybe. Rudeness these days has no age limits.

Just give the world Love.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#55Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 4:16pm

This is one of the stupidest threads I've ever read on BWW.    And that bar is pretty low...

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Cora Hoover Hooper Profile Photo
Cora Hoover Hooper
#56Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 4:25pm

NYadgal said: "This is one of the stupidest threads I've ever read on BWW.    And that bar is pretty low...

LOL!

"

61years+
#57Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 5:00pm

Did anyone else see Bette Midler lunching at the Plaza yesterday or shopping at Bergdorf's?

Wasn't Bette on vacation two of the last 3 weeks resulting in a cumulative 2 week loss of $3,000,000.

Hard to understand why she needed to take another matinee off.

How did the discount booth have discount tix early yesterday? Sounds like Producers knew well in advance.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#58Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 5:01pm

As a former New York living in the south-those who 'rush' through a transaction (like I tend to do) are considered the rude ones.  It seems like chatting up the cashier is the appropriate behavior even though there are 5 people on line after you.

Seriously-drives me nuts.  And I am one of those (technically) older people. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#59Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 5:18pm

"Wasn't Bette on vacation two of the last 3 weeks resulting in a cumulative 2 week loss of $3,000,000."

He was joking.  He had also just made a joke about Bette and Linda talking to each other last night .  It was a joke.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Margo319
#60Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 5:20pm

"Hard to understand why she needed to take another matinee off.

You don't need to understand an actor taking a performance off.  A million things could have happened, and I get being disappointed but the reports Im getting here and on SM where people (all older) were having meltdowns and freaking out?  Pretty ridiculous.  She could have had a family matter, geez, I don't care for her at all, but give her some slack man.  She was not trying to disappoint anyone.  

Debbie77
#61Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 6:26pm

Debbie77 said: "At my daughter's wedding a couple months ago, friend's of my parent's told me they had "Dolly" tickets for the 7/19 matinee.  I mentally socked this date into my memory because they were so excited and I wanted to remember to ask them about it afterwards.  So I was personally distressed when I saw this thread this morning.  They live in Staten Island and are frequent theater-goers.....but even given THAT, my guess is that they were tremendously disappointed.  I'm going to find out what happened in the theater yesterday and report back, if anyone here is still interested.

Debbie

"

UPDATE

Ugh.  What happened to my parent's friends is so sad.  They didn't know that Bette was out on Wednesday until a woman in their row ( about 1:45pm) said "Hey....Bette is not performing".  They were upset.  They wanted to see Bette.  My Mom told me that they had seen Ethel Merman in "Hello Dolly" originally.  They went to the box office and requested a refund.  The box office person said of course....the $$$$ will go back on your card it was purchased with.  They said fine, and got on the bus to Staten Island and went home.  Dejected.  It wasn't until they got home that they realized that their ticket purchase was made with a gift card and NOT a credit card.  They (very unfortunately) threw away the card when they initially purchased the tix from Telecharge.  They made a ton of calls but there appears to be nothing can be done.  The refund is on a long ago thrown away gift card.   They are kicking themselves that they didn't just grab another date.  I feel terrible for them.  Each decision they made was a disaster.  

Debbie

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#62Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 6:28pm

DAME said: ""Wasn't Bette on vacation two of the last 3 weeks resulting in a cumulative 2 week loss of $3,000,000."

He was joking.  He had also just made a joke about Bette and Linda talking to each other last night .  It was a joke.  "

Also, you can't "lose" money you never had. They didn't have to refund tickets worth $3,000,000 when Bette was vacationing. The tickets were never sold at Bette prices.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

tiramisu_girl
#63Old folk
Posted: 7/20/17 at 7:49pm

poisonivy2 said: "In case anyone is wondering, there some non-premium seats available for:

July 22

July 23

July 28

If anyone wants to snatch them up, they're on telecharge now.

"

Thanks a bunch! Was able to get Mezz center row B and orchestra S aisle seat for $189 each! 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#64Old folk
Posted: 7/21/17 at 12:51am

Wow, so many generalizations being thrown around in here.

Old people are rude!!!! Ahhhhh!!!

Why stop there. Let's keep going: 

Jews complain about everything.

Gays are promiscuous. 

Muslims are terrorists.

And blacks and lesbians don't tip. 

I do not believe ANY of the above, by the way. I am just saying that anything can be put as a generalization, and it is pretty disgraceful for the group being generalized: Seniors, gays, muslims, etc. 

How about Millenials are brain dead zombies who cannot take their eyes off their phones for a full five minutes and probably put Donald Trump in office by either not voting or voting for one of the third party candidates out of protest?

How does that generalization work for you ageist jerks? 

10086Sundays
#65Old folk
Posted: 7/21/17 at 1:00am

Debbie - It's really unfortunate that they can't even past date the tickets by going to the box office.  I guess if they processed the refund immediately, sending the money into the ether, then they couldn't past date since the funds are gone.  (I'm assuming they tried to get the gift card info from Telecharge so that they could contact the gift card company and try to get a new one.)

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#66Old folk
Posted: 7/21/17 at 1:19am

DAME said: "Margo319 said: "Can't stand the woman, how she went on and on and on at the Tonys, embarrassing herself.  I am so happy to be seeing Donna Murphy and considering every single date that Bette will be out is listed on Telecharge, and when you enter the theater you are informed by several different ways Donna Murphy will be on.....there is no excuse for a person to act that way.  She should have done her homework and not acted like a little bitch.  

"

Your a idiot.  I mean nobody else but a idiot would come on the internet to write a idiotic comment like that.  And her Tony acceptance was fabulous.  When they started cutting her off I felt the same thing was going to happen as when they cut Frank Sinatra off.  Her speech was divine!

"

I'm under the impression that the consensus here is that she went overtime because she felt she needed to say something not because she had something to say. Nothing that was said after the band started playing her off came even close to "divine" or urgent or unheard of imho. 

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#67Old folk
Posted: 7/21/17 at 1:45am

Also, it's not that old people are jerks. It's just that jerks grow old, as all of us do.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#68Old folk
Posted: 7/21/17 at 1:46am

First off, pay attention. We have the world at our fingertips. Yup, people period, don't keep up so I can see people sitting in their seats on a Donna night thinking they are seeing Bette. But if we are keeping up then those people can also and know before they walk into the theater.

As far as Bette is concerned.....I feel she went Hollywood. She in no way acted like a Broadway performer for the Tony Awards, nor did her producer. Her as* should have been out on that stage performing like every other show. Her cast works their asses off to get into a show. She has spent most of her life in the limelight and that was taken away from her cast on the biggest night for Broadway theatre. I have been a big fan of hers but she has not impressed !e this past 2 months and I know wamt to see Donna in the role. Bette thanked everyone for their work as if she was part of the theatre community. Well time she acts like it. JMO

Also Dame, I bow down to you for your post...for now.

Just give the world Love.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#69Old folk
Posted: 7/21/17 at 9:51am

They went to the box office and requested a refund.  The box office person said of course....the $$$$ will go back on your card it was purchased with.  They said fine, and got on the bus to Staten Island and went home.  Dejected.  It wasn't until they got home that they realized that their ticket purchase was made with a gift card and NOT a credit card.  They (very unfortunately) threw away the card when they initially purchased the tix from Telecharge.  They made a ton of calls but there appears to be nothing can be done.  

This is a lesson I learned last year.  If someone gives you a Visa gift card it usually comes with instructions to register it online.  Register the card right away!  If you have your Visa Gift Card registered you can get your money back without any hassles in a case like this.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#70Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 11:54am

uncageg said: "First off, pay attention. We have the world at our fingertips. Yup, people period, don't keep up so I can see people sitting in their seats on a Donna night thinking they are seeing Bette. But if we are keeping up then those people can also and know before they walk into the theater.

As far as Bette is concerned.....I feel she went Hollywood. She in no way acted like a Broadway performer for the Tony Awards, nor did her producer. Her as* should have been out on that stage performing like every other show. Her cast works their asses off to get into a show. She has spent most of her life in the limelight and that was taken away from her cast on the biggest night for Broadway theatre. I have been a big fan of hers but she has not impressed !e this past 2 months and I know wamt to see Donna in the role. Bette thanked everyone for their work as if she was part of the theatre community. Well time she acts like it. JMO

Also Dame, I bow down to you for your post...for now.

"

Ha!  Ok.  Thank you Uncaged.  But no bowing needed.  As far as Bette's speech.. Loved the blowing smoke up her ass line..I actually thought her second part of her speech was so endearing.  Thanking Carol and Pearl and all the ladies that came before her.  And the "cut that crap off" was hilarious and truly true to who she is.    I agree with you on everything else.  Her ass should have been on that stage with her company.  I guess the big Bette fan in me refuses to believe anything other than that she trusted her producer and let him command the ship.  After all .. he really has done right by her and the show with all other decisions..  And in retrospect this years Tony show was a real piece of crap all around so maybe they made the right choice?  ( not for me.. I wanted to see a number).  As far as Bette going hollywood and not acting like a broadway performer/community member... I don't think she is acting or going hollywood.  She is NOT a broadway person...  And I don't think she gives a dam.. And neither do 99.99 percent of her fans.  Those that do are here or in some other similar chat forum and amount to no more than 5 queens bitching  ( yes.. I am generalizing and it is a bad attempt at humor).   I hope the mega success she is having in this show brings us more star turns to broadway.  Wether it is hollywood stars or recording sensations.  There is room for that and it is so much fun.  Some of my favorite memories are of Lauren Bacall and Raquel in Woman Of The Year, jack Lemmon, Debbie Reynolds, Elizabeth Taylor,  etc....

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 7/21/17 at 11:54 AM

Margo319
#71Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 1:25pm

"As far as Bette is concerned.....I feel she went Hollywood. She in no way acted like a Broadway performer for the Tony Awards, nor did her producer. Her as* should have been out on that stage performing like every other show. Her cast works their asses off to get into a show. She has spent most of her life in the limelight and that was taken away from her cast on the biggest night for Broadway theatre. I have been a big fan of hers but she has not impressed !e this past 2 months and I know wamt to see Donna in the role. Bette thanked everyone for their work as if she was part of the theatre community. Well time she acts like it"

Totally agreed!  She was only up there 45 minutes because of what the Tonys were asking for their show, and the disrespect was on both sides.  She was catty, annoying, and allll Hollywood. Oh, and she didn't deserve that honor, it should have gone to Eva Nobelezada with her astounding work in Miss Saigon and is only 21 years old. 

This box is for OPINIONS. Seriously.  It is.  Even ones that differ from yours.  No, seriously.  

Updated On: 7/21/17 at 01:25 PM

Margo319
#72Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 1:31pm

"I'm under the impression that the consensus here is that she went overtime because she felt she needed to say something not because she had something to say. Nothing that was said after the band started playing her off came even close to "divine" or urgent or unheard of imho."

Yes.  100% THIS.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#73Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 1:36pm

Since when does AGE have anything to do with who should or shouldn't win an award?   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#74Have some respect!
Posted: 7/21/17 at 1:48pm

If people don't like Bette, not seeing the show seems easy enough, and she has enough Tuesdays and other days off so everyone can still see the production without her.

But her speech was filled with giving props to everyone else who put her onto that stage?! I mean, I'm unclear, but if it's all about you, and you've gone Hollywood, would you really be grasping to make sure you thank Taylor Trensch?! (I love him, but still...) and talking about the teachers in your past who supported you and made you want to do this?