Sweeney 3.0 (ish)

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#25Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/5/17 at 9:06am

egnarotsew said: "3GamesToLove said: "Anyone sat in the mezzanine/balcony since they removed the pie counter over the summer?"

I sat in the balcony the othernight.
"

We were in the 2nd row of the Balcony on Sunday (matinee).  I'd say at most 5% of the action happens out of your sight, and you're much less likely to get "acted at" up there (but not impossible) as you are down on the floor.

Incredible what they've done to that theater.  Every time we go to Barrow Street it's like a new building.

nmlhats
#26Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/5/17 at 2:32pm

NewYorkTheater said: "This thread has talked so far aboutHugh Panaro only in terms of his singing. I saw him in the show last week, and I was disappointed byhis acting. He did try to give a hardened look, but this was a leading man with a hardened look. I saw little indication of a deranged character."

I guess I'll have to hope he gets a little rougher and more believably deranged by the time I see it in November.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#27Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/9/17 at 8:17am

Saw the show earlier this week. Holy crap I had a great time. Carolee is going to remain in my head as thr difinitive Mrs Lovett. I can't imagine anyone nailing the role more perfectly. Joanna also really blew me away, she was moving and funny which is bizarre because I never think of it as a comedic role. Hugh Panero's voice is silky and smooth and full of intent, but he's spent too much time acting with a mask in front of his face, because his face was mostly flat. This somehow took very little away from my enjoyment, so I can't complain. 

markienyc
#28Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/9/17 at 1:24pm

Was wondering how the actual acting would be from Hugh.  Do you remember if he yelled at an audience member to move and then sat next to them?  I was telling a friend about  how Norm did that to me but wasn't sure if they kept it. 

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#29Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/9/17 at 5:07pm

It was reported earlier in this thread that it is a regular occurrence and it happened at our showing

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
zod2
#31Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/14/17 at 6:02pm

I know this has been asked before, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

I'm going to see Sweeney in a few weeks.  We'll be in the twisting seats (B8 and B9) and will be enjoying some pie before the show.  I have never seen the show in any form, aside from catching Johnny Depp for 3 or 4 minutes when flipping channels on TV.  I don't know the music.  I have a very vague understanding of the plot. 

Should I go in cold? Should I watch the movie first? Should I listen to the music first? Should I catch one of the original productions on YouTube? What do you all think will be most enjoyable for this version of the show?  Typically I don't even read full reviews when going to see a movie because I hate spoilers, but I also don't want to be too lost if I can't see/hear/understand what is going on at the show.

Also, and it has been a while (and this may be a silly question), but what are people wearing to Off-Broadway shows? The last Broadway show I saw (Color Purple), it was pretty varied but I probably wouldn't show up in jeans.  We'll be hanging out a bit in Manhattan a bit before the show -- is this a bit more casual or do people still tend to dress a bit?

Thanks!

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#32Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/14/17 at 6:05pm

^Go in completely cold and wear whatever you want just don't smell.  Hope you have a good time!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#33Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/25/17 at 10:13am

Got to see this on Saturday. 

In a word, I loved it.  This might be my all-time favorite production of Sweeney.  It's that intense and that good.

Carolee Carmello is without a doubt my favorite Lovett that I've seen live (I've only seen the filmed production of Lansbury). This is possibly the best performance of her career, and one that could easily win her a Tony if it were on Broadway.  She's absolutely outstanding. I love her asides to the audience. She's a loopy Nellie (more in the Lansbury mold), as opposed to the cold, calculating Nellie that Patti played. But my gosh is she outstanding. 

Hugh sings like a dream, but he's not a particularly menacing Sweeney.  I wasn't wild about his acting, but what a voice. 

I mostly enjoyed the rest of the cast, particularly the new Anthony, Jake Boyd, who also has an outstanding voice.  The only one I didn't care for is the new Judge Turpin, Michael James Leslie.

This is a wonderful production from top to bottom, though I could see how the lack of scene changes in act 2 would be confusing to those who don't already know the show.  The man in front of me, for instance, was confused when Johanna, Beadle, and the Judge reappeared in act 2, as he was under the impression they were already dead (the actors doubled as ensemble members in the act 2 opener, but didn't really change costumes).

All in all, a wonderful afternoon in the pie shop.  Worth full price just to see Carmello, but the rest of the show is great, too.

zod2
#34Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/27/17 at 3:29pm

Anyone else with advice to prep a bit or go in cold to see the show for the first time?

Hopefully by Sunday Hugh will be slightly more comfortable in the role and will show in his acting.  I read his interview on the home page and it seems like he's excited about the role and his chemistry with Carolee should be good given their acting history together.

And thanks for the clothing advice. Comfortable and not smelly is always a combo for me.

VintageSnarker
#35Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/27/17 at 3:51pm

zod2 said: "I know this has been asked before, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

I'm going to see Sweeney in a few weeks. We'll be in the twisting seats (B8 and B9) and will be enjoying some pie before the show. I have never seen the show in any form, aside from catching Johnny Depp for 3 or 4 minuteswhen flipping channels on TV. I don't know the music. I have a very vague understanding of the plot.

Should I go in cold? Should I watch the movie first? Should I listen to the music first? Should I catch one of the original productions on YouTube? What do you all think will be most enjoyable for this version of the show? Typically I don't even read full reviews when going to see a movie because I hate spoilers, but I also don't want to be too lost if I can't see/hear/understand what is going on at the show.

Also, and it has been a while (and this may be a silly question), but what are people wearing to Off-Broadway shows? The last Broadway show I saw (Color Purple), it was pretty varied but I probably wouldn't show up in jeans. We'll be hanging out a bit in Manhattan a bit before the show -- is this a bit more casual or do people still tend to dress a bit?

Thanks!
"

I would say that the show is not hard to follow. I saw the Cerveris/Lupone production cold and I was fine. The exception is if you struggle with quick delivery of lyrics. Then I might brush up a little bit but you'd be equally fine watching the show and then going home to listen to one of the other albums. That is, you'll be able to understand it no matter what but you could choose to better appreciate the nuances and wit of the lyrics better either before or after you see the show. For example, A Little Priest has a lot of great jokes that you might not get on first hearing but that song is also not that fast, you just have to be paying attention. Kiss Me is also hilarious but you need a Johanna and Anthony who enunciate. 

In my experience, people dress pretty casually for off-Broadway. I like to at least look presentable but I've seen so many people even at Broadway shows wearing T-shirts and jeans. The last time I went to the Barrow St Theater people were dressed casually but that was a while ago. I don't know if people are dressing up more now that this production has become more of a hot ticket.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#36Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 9/28/17 at 12:01am

My friend won the online lottery today and I was the lucky +1! This was his first time seeing this production and my 3rd (got to see Jeremy Secomb and Norm Lewis perform as Sweeney.) Overall, we had a great time! We sat in the twisty seats near the piano (in previous occasions I sat on the 2nd row mezz and twisty seats near the counter.) 

I already knew Carolee was going to be amazing but I was very impressed by Anthony (Jake Boyd), Beadle (John Rapson) and Johanna (Eryn Lecroy)! Wow! I'd see this show again later in the year to see them perform. Johanna's interpretation is more comedic but wow during the Johanna/City on Fire song in Act 2 she was right in front of us with tears on her eyes. Just wow.

I remember watching the movie "Broadway Damage" which Panaro starred in and it was cool to see him perform live here. Personally, my favorite Sweeney is still Jeremy Secomb. Those huge eyeballs! Wow! Jeremy barely blinked and I still remember how scary the room was whenever he entered! Panaro has a great voice and I can see him getting more seasoned in the role.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#37Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 10/26/17 at 7:37pm

Got this email today. Should I be concerned? I don’t have another open slot to see this show on my brief 5-day vacation in NYC.

“Hello, all!

We're excited to have you with us to see Sweeney Todd in a few weeks! Just a note that Danny Rothman will be performing the role of Sweeney Todd that evening. It is sure to be a phenomenal show, but for those who are specifically interested in seeing Hugh Panaro, we are happy to exchange your tickets for another date outside of Thanksgiving week (November 14-26) and the winter holidays (December 18-31). We are currently on sale thru February 25.

If you are interested in exchanging, please email back or call 212-243-6262 by this upcoming Monday, October 30.”

thedrybandit
#38Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 10/27/17 at 1:20pm

I don't think you should be concerned at all, they've done a great job with casting so far, and Danny has a great voice, based off a few videos I found of him. He's the new standby, so I don't think he's gone on yet, but if they cast him as well as they did the previous standby and the Lovett standby, it should still be enjoyable. Go see it just for the production and Carmello, and you'll be totally fine. Panaro is great, but his presence doesn't make or break the show.

And just a general Sweeney 3.0 report, I don't think I've posted previously but I won lottery seats a few weeks ago. TodayTix actually called me to give me the ticket offer, I guess I was the first name on their "loser list" and a winner called to decline their tickets.

The new cast is fantastic, the standouts being Panaro, John Rapson, and Eryn Lecroy. The only one I didn't love is the new Turpin, but his voice was gorgeous, so I could more or less forgive acting that wasn't my favorite. Panaro still needs a bit of time to find the role, but that's not unusual for him. He's very, very good, and a favorite Sweeney of mine, I can just see him growing into it and being even better than now. He's suited to long runs and experimenting until he finds the right version of the character for himself. And even though I prefer the role sung by a baritone, his low end is great and he sounds fantastic.

And speaking of voices, the voice Lecroy has absolutely has to be one of the strongest voices I've heard in a long time, she's loud as hell, and cuts above everyone else when needed with no struggle at all. She's great in the role, and I hope she sticks around a while.

nmlhats
#39Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 10/29/17 at 2:26am

I am in the same boat now, with Panaro out on my date. I have three upcoming short trips (Nov/Dec/Jan), but a friend's son is in the cast and he'll be out over the holidays, so December's out; plus my husband, who digs ST) would miss it if I exchanged for a girls' trip in January. So in the end, we decided to keep thatNovember date. Danny Rothman does seem to have a good (baritone!) voice so we'll see how he is as an actor....

nmlhats
#40Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 11/20/17 at 2:41pm

The new cast is fantastic, the standouts being Panaro, John Rapson, and Eryn Lecroy. The only one I didn't love is the new Turpin, but his voice was gorgeous, so I could more or less forgive acting that wasn't my favorite.

Mr. Leslie (Judge Turpin) is playing to a 1000-seat house and not to a small room. He needs to dial it back a few notches. SO FREAKING LOUD and also over-the-top with the acting.

I wonder what changes will happen in late Feb...

Updated On: 11/20/17 at 02:41 PM

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#41Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 11/26/17 at 11:00pm

Just heard that Carolee is leaving February 25th. Any rumors on who her replacement might be?

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#42Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 11/26/17 at 11:24pm

gleek4114 said: "Just heard that Carolee is leaving February 25th. Any rumors on who her replacement might be?"

I wonder what’s up next for her. She’s fabulous in the show. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#43Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 11/26/17 at 11:27pm

gleek4114 said: "Just heard that Carolee is leaving February 25th. Any rumors on who her replacement might be?"

K A T H Y  F I T Z G E R A L D

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#44Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 11/27/17 at 1:34am

^nice. Love her.

I'm still waiting for Victoria Clark's Lovett. Hopefully we'll see it sometime in this production.

JVJ93
#45Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 11/27/17 at 7:01am

I would love to see Caroline O’Connor or Emily Skinner replace Carolee. Would love to have them bring in Ruthie Henshall from the UK, but that’s just a dream

nmlhats
#46Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 11/29/17 at 9:52pm

Maria Friedman would make a mighty fine Mrs. Lovett as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba6U4mZpG6Y

(I saw Bryn Terfel do Sweeney at Chicago Lyric Opera and I'm not sure I would ever like anyone better! he is so scary but has that twinkle in his eye when he needs it...and gawd, his singing is so fabulous.... Did anyone see him do it at Lincoln Center?)

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#47Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 1/3/18 at 3:39pm

Sweeney Todd 4.0??https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Thom-Sesma-Sally-Ann-Triplett-to-Take-Over-the-Pie-Shop-in-Barrow-Street-Theatres-SWEENEY-TODD-20180103

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#48Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 1/3/18 at 3:41pm

Yay, Billy Tighe!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Danielle49
#49Sweeney 3.0 (ish)
Posted: 1/3/18 at 3:44pm

I too am so stoked for Billy Harrigan Tighe! I saw him as Elder Price 3 times - he's wonderful.