pixeltracker

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews- Page 4

THE BAND'S VISIT Previews

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#75THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/8/17 at 3:08pm

"Pelephone is actually how you say cell phone in Hebrew - vs a land line (telephone) :)"

Farawayfan, Thanks so much for your correction of my (incorrect) correction! I realized immediately that when I learned Hebrew in Israel it was 1972 and cellphones were a thing of the distant future!

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#76THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/8/17 at 3:42pm

Does anyone know if there’s a projected cast recording release date? 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#77THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/8/17 at 11:38pm

Has anyone rushed this yet? I’m hoping to try on Tuesday and wondering how early I should get there. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

ohjustjake
#78THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/8/17 at 11:42pm

Same but for Friday - anyone so far?

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#79THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/8/17 at 11:52pm

starcatchers said: "Has anyone rushed this yet? I’m hoping to try on Tuesday and wondering how early I should get there."

There's some info here:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1104752&dt=9

10086sunset
#80THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/9/17 at 8:51am

GreasedLightning said: "Does anyone know if there’s a projected cast recording release date?"

There was a sign regarding this at the merch table in the basement near the bathrooms. 

I didn't take a close look but believe it said something about pre ordering. 

Margo319
#82THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/9/17 at 2:45pm

This show as so special.  It does not try to be anything it's not, it gets the message across with quiet elegance, the acting is brilliant, and the songs are so beautiful, I could listen to them forever.  I don't know how long with this last but it's a great show, mature audience, and no a$$holes with cell phones out.  My PERFECT evening of theater.  

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#83THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/9/17 at 2:57pm

Margo319 said: "This show as so special. It does not try to be anything it's not, it gets the message across with quiet elegance, the acting is brilliant, and the songs are so beautiful, I could listen to them forever. I don't know how long with this last but it's a great show, mature audience, and no a$$holes with cell phones out. My PERFECT evening of theater."

I think these comments are beautifully written!

Margo319
#84THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/9/17 at 3:15pm

Thanks, doll. heart

Updated On: 10/9/17 at 03:15 PM

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#85THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/9/17 at 3:26pm

Margo319 said: "This show as so special. It does not try to be anything it's not, it gets the message across with quiet elegance, the acting is brilliant, and the songs are so beautiful, I could listen to them forever. I don't know how long with this last but it's a great show, mature audience, and no a$$holes with cell phones out. My PERFECT evening of theater."

Thanks for this. I'm seeing it in December and I'm really looking forward to it. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#86THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 7:55am

I caught last nights performance and agree that this is an exquisite little jewel of a show. It might be best enjoyed if you go in expecting a “play with music“ rather than a full-blown musical, for a while the music certainly serves the story, it has the tone and pace of a straight drama. And yes stylistically this did remind me of ONCE. I wouldn’t compare this in anyway to Come from Away, which has a totally different feel to it...

The performances and staging were masterful and haunting. The score interesting and richly atmospheric. 

It probably won’t run for years, that I think will be a hot ticket this season.  Highly recommend it.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 10/10/17 at 07:55 AM

10086sunset
#87THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 9:01am

This show has restored my faith in the Broadway musical. 

The idea that its a straight play with songs continues to amaze me. Nothing feels forced or cliched, The loneliness felt by the characters comes organically from the material. 

Alice, completely agree with your thoughts.

dave1606
#88THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 11:25am

I was there last night and this is unquestionably the best thing of the fall. I loved this show at the Atlantic, but it has been transferred beautifully to the Barrymore. The set fits the theater perfectly even from the rear mezz where I was sitting (E21) was a perfect view. 

David Yazbek's score is so wonderful and varied. He covers many different genres so beautifully and I don't think there will be a more gorgeous song than Omar Sharif. Katrina Lenk is stellar here, and giving a TONY worthy performance along with Tony Shaloub. But I think all of the ensemble are excellent.  

Its certainly a story we need now and was thrilled to see it with a sold out house. It seems in the fall it will do well with little competition, but I wonder how it is come February/March when all these other new shows start opening. Still, I'm thrilled it is here and hope it stays for a long time. 

irishgator1
#89THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 11:43am

poisonivy2 said: "I also have front row of rear mezzanine. Other than the wall how is the view? This seems like a small intimate show where sitting far away might be detrimental?"

The view was great- if finances allowed it, I would've preferred to sit closer, but the overall view was terrific. If there had been any action on the edge of the stage (like if someone sat down on it and dangled their legs off), I might've missed it, but as long as I was sitting fully upright, no issues.

I have a picture of what the wall looks like from my seat, but I can't seem to figure out how to upload it. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#90THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 11:53am

irishgator1 said: "poisonivy2 said: "I also have front row of rear mezzanine. Other than the wall how is the view? This seems like a small intimate show where sitting far away might be detrimental?"

The view was great- if finances allowed it, I would've preferred to sit closer, but the overall view was terrific. If there had been any action on the edge of the stage (like if someone sat down on it and dangled their legs off), I might've missed it, but as long as I was sitting fully upright, no issues.

I have a picture of what the wall looks like from my seat, but I can't seem to figure out how to upload it.
"

There's a pic on A View From My Seat, taken during a previous production at the Barrymore, which probably gives a good idea of what to expect. Honestly, this pic had me worried, which is why I wanted some clarification from someone who'd sat there. Those partitions look a little high, to me.

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/43823/Ethel+Barrymore+Theatre/section-Rear+Mezzanine/row-B/seat-16/

irishgator1
#91THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 11:59am

CT2NYC said: "irishgator1 said: "poisonivy2 said: "I also have front row of rear mezzanine. Other than the wall how is the view? This seems like a small intimate show where sitting far away might be detrimental?"

"

There's a pic on A View From My Seat, taken duringa previous production at the Barrymore, which probably gives a good idea of what to expect. Honestly, this pic had me worried, which is why I wanted some clarification from someone who'd sat there. Those partitions look a little high, to me.

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/photo/43823/Ethel+Barrymore+Theatre/section-Rear+Mezzanine/row-B/seat-16/
"

Yes, that’s pretty much what it looked like!  Though as I mentioned, the action didn’t take place at the edge so it worked out. I hope you’ll report back when you go!

It can be challenging finding an aisle seat with enough leg room for my husband while a seat that won’t block my view!

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#92THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 12:00pm

Again, I plan on writing more once I get my thoughts together...but from the scene when Tewfiq says that Dina is a good woman until the very end...that was my favorite chunk and made any "slower" moments all worth it.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#93THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 12:00pm

I sat on Row B of the front Mezz and I thought that was the perfect place to see this show. Close enough to see every nuance of the performances but back enough to appreciate Cromer's beautiful stage pictures. I got my seat using a Playbill.com discount code - I believe it was about $119 for a prime, perfect seat. I know that's a little more than many like to spend, but if you can - I really recommend this option. The show is worth it.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#94THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 12:12pm

irishgator1 said: "CT2NYC said: "irishgator1 said: "poisonivy2 said: "I also have front row of rear mezzanine. Other than the wall how is the view? This seems like a small intimate show where sitting far away might be detrimental?"

"

There's a pic on A View From My Seat, taken duringa previous production at the Barrymore, which probably gives a good idea of what to expect. Honestly, this pic had me worried, which is why I wanted some clarification from someone who'd sat there. Those partitions look a little high, to me.

"

Yes, that’s pretty much what it looked like! Though as I mentioned, the action didn’t take place at the edge so it worked out. I hope you’ll report back when you go!

It can be challenging finding an aisle seat with enough leg room for my husband while a seat that won’t block my view!
"

Based on your feedback, I decided to switch my seat to row E of the front mezzanine. Fortunately, Telecharge was able to do it, and the ticket was $69 with the discount code, only $10 more than my original seat. Thanks again!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#95THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 12:52pm

I'm trying to move my tickets for Friday 20th Oct night front rear mezz to either of the shows on next Saturday. There's no discounts and seats are really limited, and I don't want to spend upwards of $100.00 to watch this show. :|

If it doesn't work, I might have cheap discounted tickets for sale!

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#96THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 4:24pm

Since we're talking seating and views... having heard that this is such an intimate-feeling show, I bought second row orchestra - Row B, Seats 2/4/6. Can I assume that this is a good view? Everyone's talking mezzanine here which is making me second-guess myself - will we miss anything major by sitting so close??

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#97THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 5:01pm

Judy - Sitting in the second row, you might miss a little of the beauty of the stage pictures, but I think being that close to the actors will be a very fair trade off. There isn't an orchestra pit so you will have some very intimate moments right in your lap.

JudyDenmark
#98THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 5:04pm

Thanks, QueenAlice! By "stage pictures" do you just mean tableaus created by the staging? Or literal pictures as part of the set/projections?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#99THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 5:10pm

I mean tableaus created by the staging. Cromer has directed this in a way that there are always subtle things happening in all the corners of the stage.

You won't miss any projections.

JudyDenmark
#100THE BAND'S VISIT Previews
Posted: 10/10/17 at 5:14pm

QueenAlice said: "I mean tableaus created by the staging. Cromer has directed this in a way that there are always subtle things happening in all the corners of the stage.

You won't miss any projections.
"

Got it - that makes sense. I agree that it's a worthy trade-off to have such an intimate view of the actors... hopefully my parents agree. :) Thanks!