LimelightMike
#1M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/26/17 at 11:05am

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#2M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/26/17 at 11:17am

This should be interesting 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#4M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/26/17 at 9:01pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "The Chicago Tribune seems mixed...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/reviews/sc-ent-m-butterfly-review-1027-story.html
"

“Seems” being the operative word... I didn’t follow that review at all No mention of the actors performances - good or bad?? The sets? Most bizzare.

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#4M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/26/17 at 9:01pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "The Chicago Tribune seems mixed...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/reviews/sc-ent-m-butterfly-review-1027-story.html
"

“Seems” being the operative word... I didn’t follow that review at all No mention of the actors performances - good or bad?? The sets? Most bizzare.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
Dollypop
#9M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/26/17 at 10:39pm

Guessing this'll be on TDF next week.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#10M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/26/17 at 10:56pm

Catty Brantley is always my favorite Brantley. “M. Moth.” LOL.

carnzee
#11M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/26/17 at 10:59pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Catty Brantley is always my favorite Brantley. “M. Moth.” LOL. "

His Anastasia review was a masterpiece of the genre.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#12M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 8:57am

BroadwayConcierge said: "Catty Brantley is always my favorite Brantley. “M. Moth.” LOL."

I despise him.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

rosscoe(au)
#13M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 8:59am

So Lion King was a fluke? 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#14M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 9:10am

carnzee said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "Catty Brantley is always my favorite Brantley. “M. Moth.” LOL. "

His Anastasia review was a masterpiece of the genre.
"

I love the M. Moth opening sentence! I also found his Anastasia review to be quite amusing.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Gizmo6
#15M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 9:28am

Wow, I wonder will this be still on for when I have my ticket at the end of November. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#16M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 9:42am

"So Lion King was a fluke?"

Only if you think it's good.

rosscoe(au)
#17M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 10:10am

newintown said: ""So Lion King was a fluke?"

Only if you think it's good.
"

I think the first ten minutes is stunning beautiful, sadly what follows is 110 minutes of pure boring crap 

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#18M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 10:11am

I love catty Brantley because even though he makes snide jokes, he brings up talking points that are still deep dives. Compared to Jesse Green, who says something is awful and then bashes it for a page. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#19M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 10:15am

"I think the first ten minutes is stunning beautiful, sadly what follows is 110 minutes of pure boring crap."

I agree. I think that may be what makes it so popular. There's nothing pesky, like content, to distract the audience from the colors, shapes, and movement.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#20M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 10:30am

I disagree with Brantley nearly completely, and think Chris Jones in the Chicago Tribune nails it.

There's little point pining for the original version, because I don't think it would play today. As Jones notes, the roles of East and West have changed and the metaphors for them in the play would seem outdated and pat. What's more, I'd argue the gender reveal would be insensitive and inappropriate today: it can't be the point of the play.

That said, the revisions do come with a price, namely the suspense of that reveal and the spell the audience falls under along with Gallimard.

And IMO Owen is underwhelming and has little stage presence and Ha is wonderful (hence why I completely disagree with Brantley.) And I found the physical production to be beautiful and expressive but had trouble giving clarity to the new complexities of the script.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#21M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 11:30am

Worth noting: Brantley and some others do not mention SPIDER MAN anywhere in their reviews, which I think is admirable (even if their MB reviews are negative). Also no mention of Spidey in Chicago Trib, Hollywood Reporter, Daily News, Guardian, and maybe otherrs too.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#22M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 11:51am

They're probably afraid that if they say the name, someone will try to revive it.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#23M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 12:07pm

There is nothing wrong with a couple hours of "colors, shapes, and movement." The problem is one of genre; in the theatre we expect all of those things to be in the service of storytelling. 

wexy
#24M. BUTTERFLY Reviews
Posted: 10/27/17 at 1:42pm

Dollypop said: "Guessing this'll be on TDF next week."

It's there now !

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'