pixeltracker

The Greatest Showman soundtrack - Page 3

The Greatest Showman soundtrack

WillisMCK
#50Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/10/17 at 4:52pm

pdjennings said: "Attended a press screening of the film this morning ... IT. IS. AMAZING. It's puzzling that Fox isn't pushing this for awards consideration ... because it's breathtaking. By the end of the first real number (A Million Dreams) ... we were already bawling. Never really stopped.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make this into a stage show in the future.
"

I know it's had some negative feedback though most official reviews have an embargo on them. I haven't seen it myself but my guess is that the musical numbers are good but the actual storyline is lacking - a lot of flash and no substance? Though I think movie snobs want to go in hating it. I'm hoping it at least gets some Globe nominations.  

How was Zendaya? This is really her first adult/mature movie role. I can't wait to see her number with Zac Efron "Rewrite the Stars". 

#51Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/10/17 at 5:05pm

this all looks and sounds phenomenal . can't wait. 

asoftplacetoland Profile Photo
asoftplacetoland
#52Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/10/17 at 6:39pm

I’m in love with the soundtrack. It is just so thrilling and I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for the 20th to get here! Keala sounds amazing and I love all the exposure she’s getting. As well as Zendaya. This could easily be turned into a breathtaking stage show. One that I would be more than stoked to buy a ticket for.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#53Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/10/17 at 11:54pm

Going to give it a second listen with headphones on.

Just give the world Love.

jo
#54Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/11/17 at 9:46am

Congratulations to THE GREATEST SHOWMAN  Golden Globe Nominations --

*Best Picture -- Musical/Comedy 

*Best Actor in Musical/Comedy -- Hugh Jackman

*Best Original Song -  This is Me ( Pasek & Paul)

Also to Michelle Williams -- Best Actress in Drama ( All the Money in the World).

mamaleh
#55Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/11/17 at 11:15am

The comedy/musical category is pretty competitive, but I'm hoping THE GREATEST SHOWMAN goes on to win in all its nominated categories.  

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#56Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/11/17 at 2:45pm

I cannot imagine it winning any of those three categories, unless it pulls off the feat of being substantially better than films like Lady Bird or Get Out.

For me, something just seems off about Greatest Showman. And the fact it is directed by a first-time motion picture director makes me very, very wary.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jo
#57Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/11/17 at 7:47pm

pdjennings said: "Attended a press screening of the film this morning ... IT. IS. AMAZING. It's puzzling that Fox isn't pushing this for awards consideration ... because it's breathtaking. By the end of the first real number (A Million Dreams) ... we were already bawling. Never really stopped.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they make this into a stage show in the future.
"

Glad you shared your impressions - now validated by those 3 nods from the Golden Globes!  

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#58Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/11/17 at 10:23pm

I saw GREATEST SHOWMAN over the weekend.  I had not heard the score except for the couple of numbers.  I may not be as enthusiastic as pdjennings, but I very much enjoyed the film.   It is obvious going in that the film is geared to the audience who likes MOULIN ROUGE and music videos and more than the musical theatre/classic movie musical audience.   So I approached if from that perspective rather than criticizing it for not being "my kind of movie musical".    There are some terrific numbers.  It has an engaging cast and a good message.  It's creatively done.  But it's not always subtle,and sometimes it feels like they are pushing a little too hard.  Even still, I am glad to see studios making these kinds of films.  And I hope it finds a good audience.

Updated On: 12/11/17 at 10:23 PM

bk
#59Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/12/17 at 1:12am

Validated by the Golden Globes?  Thanks for the humor.  Clearly you don't know how the Golden Globes works.  Nothing is validated by the Golden Globes.  If The Greatest Showman spends more money and has better swag than anyone else, perhaps it will win - because that's the deal and that's what it takes.

jo
#60Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/12/17 at 5:12am

Per Wikipedia --

"At the 74th Golden Globe Awards, La La Land received a leading seven nominations.[94] The film won in all seven categories for which it was nominated, setting a historic record for the most Golden Globes won by a single film, namely Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, Best Director, Best Actor – Comedy or Musical for Gosling, Best Actress – Comedy or Musical for Stone, Best Screenplay, Best Original Score and Best Original Song ("City of Stars" Greatest Showman soundtrack

At the 89th Academy AwardsLa La Land received a leading six awards, including Best DirectorBest Actress (for Stone), Best CinematographyBest Original ScoreBest Original Song ("City of Stars"Greatest Showman soundtrack and Best Production Design.[90] The film received a total of 14 nominations, tying records for most nominations by a single film with All About Eve (1950) and Titanic (1997). Its other nominations included Best PictureBest Actor (for Gosling), Best Original ScreenplayBest Film EditingBest Costume Design, a second nomination for Best Original Song ("Audition"Greatest Showman soundtrack Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing.

Updated On: 12/12/17 at 05:12 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#61Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/12/17 at 10:17am

The first two songs released have that "behind the closing credits" sound and feel. They lack immediacy of performance. That pop "remove" thing just makes it a wash. of generic, if professional, sound-track-y idol-y stuff. Too bad. "Evan Hansen" and "La La" have distinctions.  This feels calculated, and in both case, way over-produced. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#62Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/14/17 at 12:54pm

I love this score, but it's so short. "A Million Dreams" is gorgeous. I wish Ziv Zaifman was used in the film. His voice is beautiful. I'm guessing he is the singing/dubbed voice for young Barnum. 

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#63Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/14/17 at 1:32pm

The review embargo doesn't lift until opening day, which does not bode well for the quality of the film.

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#64Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/14/17 at 3:23pm

thirtythirtyninety said: "The review embargo doesn't lift until opening day, which does not bode well for the quality of the film."

That literally means nothing. Star Wars: The Last Jedi was embargoed until today and it has 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. I think The Greatest Showman will land in the upper 70s to mid 80s. 

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#65Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/14/17 at 3:36pm

Star Wars reviews started being posted two days ago.

A review embargo until opening day is usually a bad sign.

IMHO if the soundtrack is any indicator, it's a bad sign here.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#66Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 12/20/17 at 1:56am

Listening to the soundtrack - it seems clear to me the team is really trying to create a fine balance between accessible pop music and music that truly reflects the characters/story. I’m enjoying it more than La La Land (which I found to be very overrated in the score department and has almost no listening value to me), and I’m finding it catchy/very easy to listen to. Still. I can’t help but wonder if they have pandered too much to the studio execs who want to make a dollar.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

DigificWriter
#68Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/3/18 at 12:43pm

I've got a purely theoretical question: In the song "The Greatest Show" as released on the soundtrack, does anybody know where the 'break point' would be if it had been split up the way it is in the film itself (as both the opening and closing musical numbers)?

thinton
#69Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/3/18 at 5:06pm

Does it bother anyone else that the soundtrack doesn't more closely reflect the film?  Part of "A Million Dreams" has been cut, the "From Now On" reprise isn't included, and "The Greatest Show" isn't split (with the softer ending cut).  I love listening to the album, but it feels unfinished when it ends.  I would love a deluxe edition with the missing music and score, like the deluxe Les Mis soundtrack that was released later on.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#70Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/4/18 at 9:06am

anyone else stunned the soundtrack will be the number one album in america?? didn’t see that happening

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8092525/the-greatest-showman-soundtrack-no-1-billboard-200

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

jo
#71Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/4/18 at 9:22am

Stunned but very pleased!

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8092525/the-greatest-showman-soundtrack-no-1-billboard-200

Congrats to Pasek &Paul and all involved in the soundtrack album!

smallvillefan16
#72Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/4/18 at 10:22am

jo said: "Stunned but very pleased!

"

Very surprised, too! When I saw this, I figured it was number 1 on soundtrack not #1 billboard top 200.  It really is a fantastic soundtrack and the entire cast can sing.  That's something we've yet to have is a musical movie where EVERYONE in the cast can actually carry a note.  Yes, auto-tuned but they still can carry a note.

Liza's Headband
#73Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/4/18 at 10:33am

gypsy101 said: "anyone else stunned the soundtrack will be the number one album in america?? didn’t see that happening

"

Only the fools on here who ripped the score to shreds are "stunned" by this. LOL. Eat that crow, my friends. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#74Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/4/18 at 10:38am

smallvillefan16 said: "jo said: "Stunned but very pleased!

"

Very surprised, too! When I saw this, I figured it was number 1 on soundtrack not #1 billboard top 200. It really is a fantastic soundtrack and the entire cast can sing. That's something we've yet to have is a musical movie where EVERYONE in the cast can actually carry a note. Yes, auto-tuned but they still can carry a note.
"

Wlell this is technically not true. One of the biggest songs in the film is dubbed. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

jo
#75Greatest Showman soundtrack
Posted: 1/4/18 at 8:56pm

The popularity of the musical score makes it even more possible for this movie musical to be adapted for the stage! Both Jackman and director Gracey have talked about the possibility but with the major improvement in box office trends and the soundtrack album topping the all-albums chart, the chances have become more enhanced. It will be interesting to see how a stage adaptation might look and sound like.

Updated On: 1/4/18 at 08:56 PM