pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews- Page 5

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews

Gizmo6
#100ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/18/17 at 4:24pm

Anyone know if I'd get in on Monday night if I walked up 1o minutes before the show? 

Due to arrive into NYC around 7.20pm 

Don't want to book in case there is a delay. 

Also should i drop backpack to hotel or are they allowed in cloakroom? 

Thanks all 

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#101ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/18/17 at 5:22pm

I saw this a couple of nights ago and was blown away.  I went in to the show not really knowing what to expect.  I had read most of the reviews here (trying to skip the spoilers), so in some ways my expectations were raised -- and on the other hand, given that it is a revival, I assumed I was going to see something that felt very 90's and outdated.  So I was shocked at how fresh and unique and new it felt.  I did not see the original broadway production, so like a few of the other commentators here, I don't have that to compare it to.  I loved the direction, the unique ideas for the costumes (including the coca-cola spikes!), use of found instruments, the sand on the stage, the interactions of the cast members with the audience at the beginning.  From reading the boards, for some reason I thought ALL of the instruments would be played on stage and was weary with that idea, but there were just a few instruments here on stage that complemented the main orchestra and it didn't feel distracting to me at all (except for a moment when they were using those pool tubes to makes whistle sounds -- but once I caught on that everything on the stage was sort of thrown away junk, it made sense to me and was clever).

I loved the surprise in the end song which I won't spoil here.   Such a unique idea.  Although there was plenty of stage time for Lea Salonga, I wish there had been a few more solos for her, because I can't get enough of her voice.  The surprise performer that I probably enjoyed the most was the casting of Isaac Powell.  Apparently this is his broadway debut.  I also really liked the Dwayne Johnson looking guy who played the water god.  The audience seemed to absolutely LOVE Alex Newell as mother of the earth.  They went crazy after her performance.  I liked her but was not apparently as blown away as the people sitting around me.    

I saw Bobster's comments above that he has been listening to the old cast album ever since.  I didn't really walk out of there feeling like I had to run home and listen to the music, but that's just me.  I still enjoyed all of the songs as they moved the story forward and did a great job keeping me into it.  I found myself wanting to clap along and saw several people feeling the music and bobbing their heads with the beat.  So during the show I enjoyed the music, but this one hasn't replaced Dear Evan Hansen which is still on eternal repeat on my iphone.  

To answer some earlier comments, at least from my seat, I could feel the winds of the hurricane and it did rain on stage at one part.  There were some very loud crashes of thunder and lightning which might scare a very small child, but I think generally kids 5 and up would be fine with this production.  I was surprised how few kids I did see there though.  The room was packed, with a few dozen people in standing room only.  After songs the audience was really into it and was hooting and cheering quite loudly. 

The length of the show seemed perfect, as I didn't check my watch or feel sleepy at all -- something I frequently do at even critically acclaimed productions.  The story moved well and quickly and didn't have any moments that seemed to drag at all.   

Based on the audience's excitement and energy during the show, it felt like a show that could very easily stay open through the awards season and if it does, due to how unique and fresh and different of a broadway revival experience it is, I think it could end up snatching Best Revival ahead of the traditional and safe revivals that have already been revived a handful of times.  

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#102ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/18/17 at 8:21pm

Gizmo6 said: "Anyone know if I'd get in on Monday night if I walked up 1o minutes before the show?

Due to arrive into NYC around 7.20pm

Don't want to book in case there is a delay.

Also should i drop backpack to hotel or are they allowed in cloakroom?

Thanks all
"

The theatre has lockers near the restroom that you can use. I saw several people storing coats last night. 

I saw this last night, and fell in love. I will admit that I wasn't too familiar with it going in, aside from some of the music. I was instantly engaged, from that first crack of thunder. I thought the staging was interesting. There really isn't a weak link in the company, although I agree that Kenita Miller and Philip Boykin were standouts. I also loved all four of the Gods, particularly Merle Dandridge and Alex Newell. "Mama Will Provide" was one of my favorite parts of the whole show. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

Gizmo6
#103ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/19/17 at 10:55am

Thanks Starcatchers <3

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#104ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/19/17 at 10:02pm

Combining threads here...

Did lotto this afternoon. At the last minute they went from 20 to 40 tickets in lotto. D 213-15. Amazing seats and I felt like we didn’t miss a thing.

It really is the perfect revival. Arden has given this new life. I’ve loved the show and score since the first time I saw it on tour at at the Kennedy Center. I could rave on and on, but the bottom line is SEE IT! The whole cast is magnificent, I want Lea’s headpeace, and Dane has created a beautiful atmosphere. I really wanted to lotto again for the evening and I will be back many times.

Kudos to the entire cast and crew for giving me chills, crying, and making me part of the human heart. XO

greenifyme2
#105ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/19/17 at 11:07pm

I also won the lottery but had a very different experience due to an awful neighbor who checked her phone constantly and talked throughout the entire show. She knew one of the cast members (pointing at her anytime she was on stage), flashed around her comp tickets, and at one point even sang along.

I really wanted to say something to her but I thought if I did it would have made it worse. She seemed like the kind of person who would have made a big scene. Instead I just left sad and angry the show was ruined for me. There were no ushers around, getting up would have disrupted my entire row, and the usher I talked to after isn’t going to relay squat.. Anyone know how I can email the house manager? I want to make sure she is never given comp tickets to this show ever again, because clearly she has seen it at least a couple times.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#106ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/20/17 at 12:11am

Trust that when I see the show this weekend, if I have someone like that near me, I'm going to get them thrown the F out.  You don't mess with my (silent) enjoyment of Ahrens & Flaherty.

I hope they can trace this comp back and reprimand the ensemble member for having douchey friends :)

greenifyme2
#107ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/20/17 at 12:13am

It was Cassondra James’ friend/family member. I think I even have the culprit pinpointed (oh the power of Facebook). Still trying to figure out who I can email. 

Updated On: 11/20/17 at 12:13 AM

broadfan327
#108ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/20/17 at 12:44am

When I saw Elf years ago, a mother and daughter sitting next to me where constantly talking to each other, disrupting my enjoyment.  At intermission, I quickly got an usher and told her I wanted another seat.  They got the house manager and managed to find me another seat.

greenifyme2
#109ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/20/17 at 12:52am

There’s no intermission at this show. Getting up to find an usher would have caused an even bigger disruption :-/

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#110ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/21/17 at 2:57pm

This is a supplement to my review above.  I didn't follow Glee and was not familiar with the actor who played Mother of Earth in Once on this Island.  So when I watched the preview of Once on this Island last week, and as I noted above, I wondered why the audience went crazy after Mother of Earth's song.   I mean it was good, but it was by no means the first time I've seen a talented black woman sing out a soulful and powerful song like that.  

But wait.  I just found out the actor playing Mother of Earth is a man!  If I had known that, I would have been one of the people in the audience cheering my lungs out after that song.  Incredible!  

moira8
#111ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/21/17 at 7:29pm

Did the lottery for this tonight on a whim and odds were pretty good. They had 30 lotto seats and 10 $59 seats. There were maybe only 30-35 people for the lotto. So only a few didn’t get in.

Updated On: 11/22/17 at 07:29 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#112ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/21/17 at 8:23pm

Very confused on the selling strategy for this. Looked into tickets for this weekend where more than 75% of the house is available, but the lowest ticket price is $99. How are they selling out when prices are this high and the potential gross is so low - TKTS? 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#113ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/21/17 at 8:28pm

Well... I recently caught this, and I was nowhere near as taken with this production as many others on here have been. I thought the entire thing was absolutely chaotic and over directed beyond belief. There were some lovely moments, but overall, I thought this was all over the place.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Myglass989
#114ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/21/17 at 8:28pm

What an amazing piece of theater. My family and I love this show, and could not believe how much we were blown away by this production. Incredibly directed, staged, and sung. The director's note was very meaningful; my brother made the point that they could directly partner with organizations doing work in the region or post-storm clean-up, or at least have something more present and explicit in the lobby or something like that more along the lines of the director's note. But this is a wonderful example of how theater can be made new by present circumstances, and how life imitates art imitates life. Can't wait to see it again.

I saw this on Saturday night 11/18, and there was not a chorus of children at the end. I did see a sign about Rosie's kids in the lobby afterward, and was confused. How did they use the children? For anyone who has been to a performance since Saturday, were the children in it, or have they done away with that permanently?

And for the record, there was rain and no wind at that performance.

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#115ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/21/17 at 9:05pm

Myglass989 said:
I saw this on Saturday night 11/18,and there was not a chorus of children at the end. I did see a sign about Rosie's kids in the lobby afterward, and was confused. How did they use the children? For anyone who has been to a performance since Saturday, were the children in it, or have they done away with that permanently?

And for the record, there was rain and no wind at that performance.
"

I was there on Sunday 11/19.  No, there were not any children performing.  However when I was at willcall there was a man in front of me with 3 children and told the ticket person that the kids were with the production and so I guess they were getting comped tickets.  I didn't understand that once I saw the show because there were no children in it other than the one little girl (who was utterly adorable).

I, too, loved this show.  i've never seen nor heard the recordings before so really walked in not knowing anything.  It was such a treat to finally see Lea Salonga in person - my goodness she is just a beautiful person.   I loved everything about it.  2 for 2 so far for Michael Arden, in my opinion.  I hope this catches on for boxoffice.  It certainly deserves some Tony noms.

Oh and on a sidenote - there was a gentleman directly across from me.  He was sitting in the first row, by the boat. I noticed at first he wasn't applauding after any of the songs. Then he started falling asleep.  It must have been really distracting for the actors - he was right there in front of them and it was pretty obvious.  When it was over he got up and left.  Didn't seem to be with anyone.... It was really strange. I felt bad for the cast,.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#116ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/21/17 at 10:08pm

Wow, they've cut the children at the end! Fascinating. I wonder if it was just too much of a time commitment for such a small moment.

I'd be curious to see how they do it now without the children. Who is the little girl speaking to in the end when she begins re-telling the story? 

I wonder if this will turn into one of those opportunities for future "I saw it when they had ___" stories, like the giant hat in Wicked, or the shoe number in Spider-Man. 

Myglass989
#117ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 8:34am

They had the little girl telling the story with her dolls back to the group over the campfire. So before they had her telling it to other children?! Fascinating. But you're right that it was probably a lot of work to facilitate that moment. It was beautiful and meaningful the way I saw it, so I'm guessing they'll keep it that way to avoid future child-wrangling.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#118ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 8:43am

VotePeron said: "Very confused on the selling strategy for this. Looked into tickets for this weekend where more than 75% of the house is available, but the lowest ticket price is $99. How are they selling out when prices are this high and the potential gross is so low - TKTS?"

Several ways... TKTS, TodayTix, and increasing the number of tickets for the in-person lottery. Months ago the second or third row were priced as premium seating. Within less than a week, those premium seats changed to regular normal seats priced ta $159.50. 

Normally during previews the most important part is word of mouth. If word of mouth is pretty good and the reviews on Dec 3rd are pretty good, then this show will have a good and healthy run through next year.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#119ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 8:51am

Daddy Warbucks said: "To answer some earlier comments, at least from my seat, I could feel the winds of the hurricane and it did rain on stage at one part. There were some very loud crashes of thunder and lightning which might scare a very small child, but I think generally kids 5 and up would be fine with this production. I was surprised how few kids I did see there though. The room was packed, with a few dozen people in standing room only. After songs the audience was really into it and was hooting and cheering quite loudly."

I'm glad you felt the winds during the hurricane as I felt them too when I first saw this production 10 days ago! I felt it was quite effective and made it more immersive. 

Bobster159
#120ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 10:50am

Davenport posted a shot from the Macy's day parade rehearsal with the children so I'd guess rather than this being a permanent cut, they probably couldn't use them at a few performances this week for extra rehearsals for that.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#121ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 10:26pm

Well I was very excited to see this show tonight but my experience was completely ruined by two awful audience memebers who ruined the enjoyment of the show for the people in rows A-C on the even side. I was in C114 and the male and female were in B on the aisle, mind you, this aisle is used heavily for various cast members to enter and depart the stage. The seemingly intoxicated couple arrived just a minute before the show began, the male finished his canned beverage which was tossed on the ground, and he began to recite the opening lines of the show with the actors.

Throughout the show the couple repeatedly spoke to each other, sang out loud, danced in their seats, held each other, and made the most distracting gestures that could be seen throughout the theater. The male texted several times, and finally an usher told him to stop texting. They both left their seats, at one point, to do god knows what, just missing the actors who needed this important aisle for the entrances and exits.

Then they come back, and my heart drops. They begin singing and dancing again, and lifting their sippy cups to the light. Finally, a major sigh of relief, the house manager or someone on the staff reprimanded them, and she sat in an empty seat on the opposite aisle to monitor them. The female gets up to leave again, and the male starts texting again, the house staff member reprimanded him again and the couple in front of them seemed to agree this was ridiculous. Then the male leaves as the female is still gone. Finally I can try to enjoy the show. Eventually the house staff member takes all of their belongings and I assume they were kicked out of the house. While I am thankful the staff member went to these extremes, it was a little too late. At this point, it was “The Ball”  and I got to concentrate on the rest of the show but the majority of the show was ruined for me. Their behavior was so distracting and took me out of the action until they were removed from the theater. Other audience members kept looking at them during their shenanigans, I wasnt the only one distracted. Im sure the actors on stage were aware of it as well as this was only two rows in. There was a production member next to me taking notes and relaying messages on walky talky. His voice could barely be heard, unlike the couple. Maybe he signaled house staff to get involved. Anyway. The production and talent on stage was AMAZING, I just wish I got to enjoy it fully.

Updated On: 11/22/17 at 10:26 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#122ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 10:31pm

Ljay complain to the house manager and see if they will give you comps to another performance. This has happened to me before and they seem accommodating (though it wasn’t for a heavily sold show). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 11/22/17 at 10:31 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
greenifyme2
#124ONCE ON THIS ISLAND (2017) Previews
Posted: 11/22/17 at 10:32pm

ljay889 said: "Well I was very excited to see this show tonight but my experience was completely ruined by two awful audience memeberswho ruined the enjoyment of the show for the people in rows A-C on the even side. I was in C114 and the male and female were in B on the aisle, mind you, this aisle is used heavily for various cast members to enter and depart the stage. The seemingly intoxicated couple arrived just a minute before the show began, the male finished his canned beverage which was tossed on the ground, and he began to recite the opening lines of the show with the actors.

Throughout the show the couple repeatedly spoke to each other, sang out loud, danced in their seats, held each other, and made the most distracting gestures that could be seen throughout the theater. The male texted several times, and finally an usher told him to stop texting. They both left their seats, at one point, to do god knows what, just missing the actors who needed this important aisle for the entrances and exits.

Then they come back, and my heart drops. They begin singing and dancing again, and lifting their sippy cups to the light. Finally, a major sigh of relief, the house manager or someone on the staff reprimanded them, and she sat in an empty seat on the opposite aisle to monitor them. The female gets up to leave again, and the male starts texting again, the house staff member reprimanded him again and the couple in front of them seemed to agree this was ridiculous. Then the male leaves as the female is still gone. Finally I can try to enjoy the show. Eventually the house staff member takes all of their belongings and I assume they were kicked out of the house. While I am thankful the staff member went to these extremes, it was a little too late. At this point, it was “The Ball”and I got to concentrate on the rest of the show but the majority of the show was ruined for me. Their behavior was so distracting and took me out of the action until they were removed from the theater. Other audience members kept looking at them during their shenanigans, I wasnt the only one distracted. Im sure the actors on stage were aware of it as well as this was only two rows in. There was a production member next to me taking notes and relaying messages on walky talky. His voice could barely be heard, unlike the couple. Maybe he signaled house staff to get involved. Anyway. The production and talent on stage was AMAZING, I just wish I got to enjoy it fully.
"

.... I truly wonder if this is the same woman who ruined the show for me last weekend. She had clearly seen it several times and the behavior sounds identical.