NYCC Grand Hotel

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#50NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 2/15/18 at 11:09am

Not that its stylistically similar, but Uranowitz did play Mark in the national tour of RENT which is a tenor role.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#51NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 2/15/18 at 12:43pm

Sorry if this isn't allowed, but I think it's always a good time to listen to the genius of David Carroll:

https://youtu.be/RsJnkAmZBqE

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#52NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:01pm

I'm actually VERY excited by the idea of James Snyder as the Baron. He's not who I'd have thought of at all, but he has an absolutely beautiful voice and will totally do justice to "Love Can't Happen." 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#53NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 2/15/18 at 1:27pm

Irina Dvorovenko is also set to star in the new Susan Stroman show at the Vineyard. Sounds like she may be one of the break out stars of this season.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Vineyards-THE-BEAST-IN-THE-JUNGLE-to-Feature-Tony-Yazbeck-Irina-Dvorovenko-and-More-20180215

VintageSnarker
#54NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 2/21/18 at 4:20pm

It's difficult for me to figure out what appropriate casting would be because I've never seen a production of Grand Hotel. I've listened to the album but in my head, I just see the actors from the movie.

Maybe it'll read next to Stephanie but James Snyder seems young (or at least looks young) for the Baron. He always seems a bit boyish which has worked well for the parts I've seen him in.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#55NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 2/21/18 at 4:36pm

The Baron is supposed to be in his late 20s. James Snyder is actually 37. David Carroll was 39 when he created the role in the OBC.

The Baron is supposed to be younger than the ballerina, who in the novel is early 40s. 

Liliane Montevecci was 57 when she played Elizabeta in the original production. Irina Dvorovenko is 44.

So it won't quite be the May/December romance that it was in the Broadway production, but given that Snyder looks young, it will probably read closer to the dynamic as Vicki Baum actually wrote it in the book.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#56NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 2/21/18 at 5:02pm

I’d pay money to avoid seeing Diaz perform. The cast does nothing for me. They couldn’t dig up one big name?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#57NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 2/21/18 at 5:09pm

Who was the 'one big name' the first time? 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#58NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 2/21/18 at 5:14pm

QueenAlice said: "Who was the 'one big name' the first time?"

I don’t necessarily think there was one Queen, but since this is a short run it would have been nice to get a little star power on board 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Kimbo
#59NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 2/21/18 at 5:23pm

People keep saying this on both message boards and it drives me crazy.

Encores isn't Broadway Stars In Concert, it's American Musicals in Concert.  If you're doing Bells Are Ringing or Follies or The Apple Tree, you obviously need some big names to handle it (which they've almost always gotten.)

Grand Hotel is an ensemble show, not a star vehicle, and one random 'big name' would throw off the balance.  Not to mention that the piece is a beast, 2 hours of through-composed non-stop movement, dance, song and underscored dialogue.

How about a cast of good solid old-fashioned musical theatre pros who are up to delivering the material?  It worked for Tommy Tune nearly 30 years ago.  Should be good enough now.  (& for those for whom it isn't they don't have to go.)

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#60NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/5/18 at 9:47pm

Thinking of watching this show.

Are there any promo codes for this show?

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#61NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/6/18 at 12:15pm

Here's the complete Tommy Tune staging, albeit in German.

GRAND HOTEL Theater des Westens

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#62NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/7/18 at 3:58pm

Helene York has replaced Stephanie Styles as Flaemmchen. Styles has left due to a "conflict."

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/191421/helene-yorke-will-check-into-grand-hotel-at-encores/

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#63NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/7/18 at 9:12pm

Oh, thank goodness. What a perfect role for her. Can we get a cast recording please?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#64NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/7/18 at 9:34pm

Hmm wonder why the former girl had to withdraw.

I enjoyed what I saw/heard of York from her run in AMERICAN PSYCHO

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#65NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/7/18 at 10:01pm

Interested to see how this cast will be, but this show really does need a new cast album.

theatreguy12
#66NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/7/18 at 10:52pm

Saw her in both American Psycho and Bullets Over Broadway and think she's a great choice too.

And although there will never be another Michael Jeter, it's nice to see this show being revisited.  Having seen the original, the music and staging drew me in instantly.   It's one of my favorites.

CindersGolightly
#67NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/8/18 at 4:42pm

Between this - and hopefully the revival of "Kiss Me, Kate" - it seems that Heléne Yorke is coming back to the stage with a vengeance! I really hope this production garners a cast recording - I'd listen to her I Want to Go to Hollywood daily, I'm sure.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#68NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/8/18 at 5:17pm

Have there been any Encores! productions that got a recording recently?

jbm2
#69NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/8/18 at 5:44pm

At the risk of sounding like an idiot.. but, is this a full production? I’m confused as to why it plays for such a short time? A weekend?

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#70NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/8/18 at 7:25pm

jbm2 said: "At the risk of sounding like an idiot.. but, is this a full production? I’m confused as to why it plays for such a short time? A weekend?"

I'd expect it to be mostly full-staged.

Encores! productions are technically readings in concert, but in the past 25 years the production levels have increased to the point where there is full costuming and coreo, plus suggestions of sets.

And I the last one to be recorded was PAINT YOUR WAGON in 2015.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated
Updated On: 3/8/18 at 07:25 PM

zainmax
#71NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/9/18 at 10:51am

Are there any discounts floating around?

CindersGolightly
#72NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/9/18 at 11:07am

I believe the last Encores! cast recording was “God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater” in 2016. I don’t necessarily think they WILL record “Grand Hotel” but it would be nice to have a new version of the score. They’ve recorded things that didn’t really need new recordings before. So, here’s hoping!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#73NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/9/18 at 11:10am

CindersGolightly said: "I believe the last Encores! cast recording was “God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater” in 2016. I don’t necessarily think they WILL record “Grand Hotel” but it would be nice to have a new version of the score. They’ve recorded things that didn’t really need new recordings before. So, here’s hoping!"

Paint Your Wagon and Lady Be Good were also recently recorded.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#74NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/9/18 at 11:27am

I would be surprised if they recorded it, but weirder things have happened. A great, fairly complete recording already exists from only ~25 years ago — it’s not like this is a lost artifact like PIPE DREAM.

Interesting that the Signature Theatre in DC is also doing GRAND HOTEL next year, according to a casting notice.