pixeltracker

The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread- Page 4

The HELLO, DOLLY! National Tour Thread

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#75BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 9:13pm

Also interesting that in 2008 Herman said LuPone was a “magnificent” idea while he wasn’t sure about Bernadette.
He clearly got very turned off that LuPone And O’Brien wanted to do a new staging.

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2008/film/awards/wall-e-says-hello-dolly-1117988842/amp/

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#76BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 9:20pm

qolbinau said: "While it's always good to be skeptical about what we read here, Jordan typically seems to have more insider knowledge than most when it comes to these things haha (though this information could be gained simply by asking her at a stage door)."

Oh Jordan does seem to usually have some good dish.  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#77BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 9:50pm

What I’m saying is that as of right now, Patti does NOT want to replace anyone and is extremely adamant about that. Obviously, that could change if they threw just a massive amount of money at her, but seeing as how her name alone doesn’t guarantee sales, I can’t see that happening.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#78BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:01pm

Jordan Catalano said: "What I’m saying is that as of right now, Patti does NOT want to replace anyone and is extremely adamant about that. Obviously, that could change if they threw just a massive amount of money at her, but seeing as how her name alone doesn’t guarantee sales, I can’t see that happening. "

To be completely fair, neither does Bernadette’s name, as we’re seeing. 

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#79BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 10:54pm

Why not Carol Burnett since someone wants to give old divas some Dolly glory---she's had enough surgery to look 70.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#80BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/12/18 at 11:15pm

QueenAlice said: "I certainly thought Donna Murphy had a vibrancy and sexuality to her Dolly."

Definitely agree with this. It's one of the reasons she quickly became one of my favorite Dollys.

On point with the thread, I was really hoping the Ebersole rumor was true, but I'm very open to seeing how Betty Buckley handles the role. I associate her most strongly with Norma Desmond, and this is a part that is almost the polar opposite in terms of how it is typically played, so her interpretation will be interesting, even if nothing else!

Dollypop
#81BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/13/18 at 12:14am

DAME said: "Dollypop said: "A friend of mine was an understudy for an Off Broadway comedy that Buckley was starring in. My buddy went on several times in different roles, so I saw the show quite a few times. At one performance Buckley's part was played by her understudy, who was superior to Buckley in every way.

Betty Buckley just lacks warmth and humor.
"

Dollypop: when was this? For me she has gotten warmer with age. But I can’t imagine she was castings first choice .
"

I just remembered the show was called WHITE'S LIES and it played at New World Stages. When Betty was out, her understudy stole the show.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#82BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/13/18 at 1:01am

Yes. The way she delivered the final line was great. Her Tony nom was deserved. 

I saw triumph many times (had a friend in it). I liked Michele Pawk better in the role. 

Whomever said FMurry as Buckley’s Horce I can see it - they had great chemistry in triumph

markypoo said: "However, she managed to pull off that hilarious curtain line in Triumph of Love flawlessly."

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#83BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/13/18 at 9:17am

I'm still shaking my head over this one!  I could see Rachel York, who was wonderful as Reno Sweeney in the Anything Goes tour, Victoria Clark, or Beth Leavel, as Dolly. Betty Buckley, not at all.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 2/13/18 at 09:17 AM

Jarethan
#84BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/13/18 at 9:39am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "JBC3 said: "Buckley has displayed comedic chops on TV and in a play or two if I recall correctly."

She was also in the original cast ofThe Mystery of Edwin Drood.
"

Edwin Drood clearly had humor,but her role was a pretty straight one, as I remember it.  It was also an ensemble piece if ever there was one, and she had no carrying to do.  

Is it possible that this is a Summer Stock tour (he said sarcastically) and not playing at theatres that are going to have 3,000 seats?

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#85BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/13/18 at 10:47am

DottieD'Luscia said: "I'm still shaking my head over this one! I could see Rachel York, who was wonderful as Reno Sweeney in the Anything Goes tour, Victoria Clark, or Beth Leavel, as Dolly. Betty Buckley, not at all."

Victoria Clark would have been delightful.

Dollypop
#86BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/13/18 at 2:22pm

And no one has mentioned Loretta Swit.

Alas!

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#87BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/13/18 at 6:47pm

Dollypop said: "And no one has mentioned Loretta Swit.

Alas!
"

She is alive?

Dollypop
#88BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/13/18 at 9:42pm

Oh my! She is indeed!

Haven't you seen the lines outside book stores whenever she makes appearances to promote her book "Swithearts"? I waited on line a full four minutes to get into the Book Revue when she was there. And I have to marvel at her cleverness: she cuts down on autographing time by using a rubber stamp to sign her name--unfortunately mine came out a bit blurry, but I like it.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#89BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/13/18 at 9:49pm

Dollypop said: "Oh my! She is indeed!

Haven't you seen the lines outside book stores whenever she makes appearances to promote her book "Swithearts"? I waited on line a full four minutes to get into the Book Revue when she was there. And I have to marvel at her cleverness: she cuts down on autographing time by using a rubber stamp to sign her name--unfortunately mine came out a bit blurry, but I like it.
"

I use to see her at union meetings.  But since I retired it has been years.  

Jarethan
#90BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 10:10am

I have not seen Betty Buckley live in awhile, but I happened to see her last night in the movie 'Split'.  She was really excellent IMO.

That said, unless they padded her and really piled on the make-up -- neither of which I think was the case, having seen pictures of her fairly frequently -- she looks like she is in a lot worse shape than Whoppi AND really looks old in a way that Bette and Bernadette do not. (To me, she has always come across as older than she is).

So, she does not normally convey warmth, has not done comedy (her performance in Drood was not remotely a comedy performance), sings in a key that is not suited to Dolly, has a vibrato that is not pleasant to my ear and that I can't imagine singing So Long Dearie, Hello Dolly, I Put My Hand in Here, etc.  On top of that, she is too old and looks out of shape.  She is not and has never been a box office attraction.  I doubt that many people in the traditional road cities even know who she is.  

Couldn't Rudin fund a production of Dear World for a non-profit if she was so good at it, instead of casting her in what could be a catastrophically bad performance?  

Updated On: 2/14/18 at 10:10 AM

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#91BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 10:44am

Jarethan said: "I have not seen Betty Buckley live in awhile, but I happened to see her last night in the movie 'Split'. She was reallyexcellent IMO.

That said, unless they padded her and really piled on the make-up -- neither of which I think was the case, having seen pictures of her fairly frequently --she looks like she is in a lot worse shape than Whoppi AND really looks old in a way that Bette and Bernadette do not. (To me, she has always come across as older than she is).

So, she does not normally convey warmth, has not done comedy (her performance in Drood was not remotely a comedy performance), sings in a key that is not suited to Dolly, has a vibrato that is not pleasant to my ear and that I can't imagine singing So Long Dearie, Hello Dolly, I Put My Hand in Here, etc. On top of that, she is too old and looks out of shape. She is not and has never been a box office attraction. I doubt that many people in the traditional road cities even know who she is.

Couldn't Rudin fund a production of Dear World for a non-profit if she was so good at it, instead of casting her in what could be a catastrophically bad performance?

"

As someone who has followed Buckley since the late 1960s, I have long known that she keeps to a strict exercise routine.  She has a home gym; stays to a six-day-a-week exercise program; has an excellent diet; and gets sufficient sleep.  She is not out of shape.  She does not look too old.  Her voice is perfect for the role.  She exudes charm and warmth and humor.  She is an excellent choice for the role.  Here in San Diego, her concerts are always sold out.  I join the ranks of the many who are excited beyond measure to see Betty Buckley's "Dolly".

https://www.ctpost.com/entertainment/article/Broadway-legend-Betty-Buckley-brings-cabaret-to-7384278.php

Updated On: 2/14/18 at 10:44 AM

Jarethan
#92BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 10:48am

That is what is so good about this site...we all have our own opinions.  I predict a disaster.  You predict a triumph.  I truly hope that you are right.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#93BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 1:02pm

Saw Beth Leavel on Cape Cod as Dolly and she was good. Can not see Betty Buckley in this role at all. No interest. They better pick someone funny like DHP from TV to play Horace if they want to sell tickets... Let's see how about.... Chevy Chase, Jeffrey Tambor, David Ogden Stiers, or Danny DeVito?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#94BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 1:10pm

My prediction: if Buckley makes it through rehearsals and tech, she will have a meltdown by the third city and will disappear, leaving her understudy to finish the season.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#95BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 1:52pm

newintown said: "My prediction: if Buckley makes it through rehearsals andtech, she will have a meltdown by the third city and will disappear, leaving her understudy to finish the season."

LOL, ^^This reminded me of a funny story from CATS!  LOL

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#96BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 2:29pm

Jarethan said: "She is not and has never been a box office attraction. I doubt that many people in the traditional road cities even know who she is.”

This tour does not need a big name. The tour will be playing in cities that have large subscriber bases already front loaded into the seats before they even put tickets on sale to the general public. It’s also worth noting that many of these cities are reaching record breaking numbers in subscription sales this year because of the inclusion of Hamilton in their seasons.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#97BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 2:53pm

Yes, but HELLO DOLLY has always been fueled by a 'name' of some kind. It's part of what has always made the show an event.  So, it wouldn't be appropriate, in my opinion, as a brand - to send this out on the road with just a solid, respectable Broadway performer.  Betty Buckley at least represents "Broadway Royalty" -- more so than someone like Christine Ebersole, to me. I just don't think Buckley is terribly well suited for the role.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 2/14/18 at 02:53 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#98BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 2:59pm

^ I don’t think she’s well suited either. I’m just commenting that from a sales standpoint, the tour does not need a name. Yes, a name would be nice, but it’s not necessary.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#99BETTEy buckley in HELLO, DOLLY!
Posted: 2/14/18 at 3:00pm

"This tour does not need a big name."

I doubt that there would be an equal number of markets buying Hello Dolly! starring Alma Cuervo as would buy Hello, Dolly! starring Goldie Hawn (or some such name).