pixeltracker

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#1BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 10:06am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Zooey-Deschanel-Taye-Diggs-Rebel-Wilson-and-More-to-Star-in-BEAUTY-AND-THE-BEAST-at-the-Hollywood-Bowl-20180312

Zooey Deschanel is Belle, Taye Diggs is Gaston and Rebel Wilson is Lefou

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 10:07am

Me when I read that casting:

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 10:13am

Jane Krakowski as Mrs. Potts...?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#4BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 10:15am

Rebel Wilson as LaFou is very interesting. It would be icky to see a woman sing that song unless she's playing a dude singing it?

As for rest of the casting - Taye Diggs and Jane Krakowski are brill. 

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

taylortrensch Profile Photo
taylortrensch
#5BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 10:17am

Woah.

don't message me thinking im taylor trensch?? what would he be doing on bww?? you can't possibly be that dumb bye

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#6BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 10:22am

Can someone cast poor Laura Osnes as Belle for once please? But the cast in general: Sign me the hell up. Spot-on Casting!!!

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#7BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 10:32am

I literally just got done playing LeFou for five months. That side plot doesn't work if LeFou is a girl. Oregon Shakespeare Festival did it with a female LeFou and it was dreadful - the only dreadful part about that production, actually. I hate hate hate hate LeFou as a girl. The rest is fine, whatever. Excited to hear Jane and Zooey. But my gosh, why Rebel? I quite enjoy her usually, but....this role? Does she have a residency contract to appear in every Hollywood Bowl musical now? There are plenty of fat male actors in the area who would have been perfect. And I get the point is to star cast every role for these things, but come on, just cast someone, I don't know, actually right for the role? It's going to get real icky real fast. I'm mad.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#8BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 10:46am

Also, please keep in mind this is a CONCERT not a fully-staged production like they did with MAMMA MIA!, THE PRODUCERS and HAIRSPRAY.  This is like the recent one they did with Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID.  Actors sang the songs with the live full orchestra.  

Sara Bareilles as Ariel and Rebel Wilson as Ursula in the recent Hollywood Bowl concert staging of Disney's THE LITTLE MERMAID: 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#9BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 10:56am

Kelsey Grammer as Lumière? He seems more like a Cogsworth to me.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 11:09am

It also sounds as if they will only be performing songs from the film, not the stage show, which eliminates most of the more difficult numbers.

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#11BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 2:17pm

Has anyone come across any presale codes?

Loopin’theloop
#12BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 2:30pm

What about a female LeFou is icky?

The sideplot is that Gaston is plotting to marry Belle and his brainless, somewhat obsessive, sycophantic sidekick helps him to do so.

I don’t care for the casting of Rebel Wilson but I don’t see how her being a woman makes it ‘icky’?

LMcC95
#13BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 3:37pm

As a person who saw the show, I can tell you that was not the only dreadful part of that production. It was dreadful all around!

CindersGolightly said: "I literally just got done playing LeFou for five months. That side plot doesn't work if LeFou is a girl. Oregon Shakespeare Festival did it with a female LeFou and it was dreadful - the only dreadful part about that production, actually.I hate hate hate hate LeFou as a girl. The rest is fine, whatever. Excited to hear Jane and Zooey. But my gosh, why Rebel? I quite enjoy her usually, but....this role? Does she have a residency contract to appear in every Hollywood Bowl musical now? There are plenty of fat male actors in the areawho would have been perfect. And I get the point is to star cast every role for these things, but come on, just cast someone, I don't know, actually right for the role? It's going to get real icky real fast. I'm mad."

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#14BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 3/12/18 at 3:40pm

I think that when people consider going to these Disney concerts at the Bowl they should take into account the amount of children that will be there.  HELL!!!

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#15BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 5/31/18 at 1:07am

Wow is all I can say. This concert was very amateurish in my eyes. There are so many weird spots and everything just felt very discombobulated. Taye Diggs must have never even seen the original film as he didn't embody the character of Gaston in the slightest. Zooey Deschanel sang the part of Belle worse than Emma Watson- which I didn't think was possible. Jane Krakowski did a good mrs. Potts and Kelsey Grammer did a good Lumiere. Anthony Evans was the highlight of the night for me. I really wouldn't have minded missing this production. Lol

Darreyl with an L!

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#16BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 5/31/18 at 1:15am

I will retract my statement about Deschanel singing, since she is singing live and Watson singing was heavily auto-tuned.

Darreyl with an L!

broadwayboy223
#17BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 5/31/18 at 1:43am

LOL I just watched some of the videos and YIKES. Zoey baby NO. My mouth dropped out when they messed up the Belle reprise. 

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#18BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 5/31/18 at 6:54pm

It all came off as very Community Theater quality.

Darreyl with an L!

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#19BEAUTY AND THE BEAST at the Hollywood Bowl
Posted: 6/1/18 at 12:37am

Someone on YouTube said it best: "This is a school play for celebrities". I concur. it's a shame because the other Disney at the Bowl concerts have been great. 

Darreyl with an L!