pixeltracker

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews- Page 3

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#50HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 9:36pm

Intermission should be right about now! Any reports?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#51HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 9:44pm

Looking at the stage picture, there seem to be portals or entrances at the front of the stage. Was that in London? I don't remember. 

LesWickedly
#52HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 10:48pm

And show should be getting out just about now, as long as everything went to plan! Can't wait for the reports. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#53HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 11:23pm

Just started leaving the theater. This lives up to all of the hype.

LesWickedly
#54HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 11:24pm

Would also love to hear about everyone’s seat locations and how their view was!

cjmclaughlin10
#55HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 11:24pm

We were on the street around 11. This production is brilliantly designed, directed and acted... I just wish I could say the same about some of the writing

Act two is significantly more interesting than act one. Some of the special effects are truly stunning. More thoughts later

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#56HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 11:30pm

A friend there tonight posted pictures on her personal Facebook of these beautiful mural paintings of Patronus charms on the walls around the coat room and I'm assuming what was the bathrooms. I would reshare them if they were on her insta but being up there on her Facebook, I don't think I should. All I know is that they were beautiful. I keep refreshing her Facebook every couple of minutes hoping that she'll have reports soon. I'm dying to find out if she liked it.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#57HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 11:35pm

Let me start off by saying that I am familiar enough with the events in this series that have led up to this eighth story. I am not a super fan who has dissected every bit of text, encyclopedic knowledge of the universe within the canon, or even read the whole series in its entirety. I have seen all of the film and have begun to read the books.

This is a definite case of a show in which the production and performances elevate a somewhat interestingly written script. The production has obviously put out all of the stops to make this a once in a lifetime experience for audience members from the moment they walk through the door. It is indeed worth it. Theatre is a shared experience if there ever were one at the Lyric.

Special effects and visuals are impressive, with a few that just need to be worked amen tightened a little bit during the preview period, even with several of these cast members having already experienced these in the West End production.

I don’t mean to sound like a sap... but the technical aspects and stage craft are a true reminder that anything is possible in the theatre. And many of these audience members probably saw their first play tonight... and will hopefully return for more magic and stories told onstage.

There were 18 Broadway debuts this evening and what a show for them to make their debut with.

ilysespieces
#58HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/16/18 at 11:52pm

On my way home now and I have to say, I was blown away. I had seats in the DCL, right on the aisle next to center and they were fantastic [at least once I put my glasses on ??].

I've posted a few pictures on my Instagram if anyone's curious, my name is the same as my username here.

I was not impressed with how many people brought very young children and didn't remove them when they got restless and started talking and fidgeting, but that has nothing to do with the show itself.

If you love (or even like, really) the Harry Potter series and can manage it, you *need* to see this show.

Tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

Updated On: 3/17/18 at 11:52 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#59HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 12:07am

A friend of mine went tonight and said it was one of the most beautiful, visually stunning pieces of theater he’d ever seen. Said it’s not the most brilliantly written play (he described the writing as “serviceable” ) , but that the performances and stage craft more than make up for it. He was blown away and said the audience response was rapturous. Also said John Tiffany will win the directing Tony in a landslide, and that this play will “run for decades.”

Updated On: 3/17/18 at 12:07 AM

getatme
#60HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 12:16am

It is -- to use a word that will surely be overused to describe this particular production -- magical.

From the second you enter the gorgeously renovated Lyric, you are completely immersed in the world. The auditorium has the exact atmosphere I imagine a real life Hogwarts would have, and it helps completely transport you.

The text itself is fine. It's neither embarrassing nor particularly good. But the performances of each actor -- in particular, I was blown away by Jamie Parker and Anthony Boyle, who is an absolute star -- and the impeccable direction of John Tiffany elevate the evening to something truly special. 

The illusions were astounding, the simple lighting tricks were at time jaw-dropping, and the set is truly incredible.

Maybe I'm biased because Harry Potter occupies such a huge part of my heart and my childhood, but there's something so special about the care and dedication to putting this world onstage that moved me greatly.

Can't wait to see part 2 tomorrow evening.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#61HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 12:26am

I saw this in London, but I've got to get back to see the new theater, etc on Broadway. Sounds like the Broadway production how now become THE production to see. I mean, how many shows have transformed an entire theater? Pretty amazing. 

LesWickedly
#63HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 12:44am

Anyone sit towards the front of the orchestra on the far sides? Wondering how much you miss, if any. 

Megsamegatron Profile Photo
Megsamegatron
#64HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 12:47am

I would agree 100% with all of getatme’s report. There were some magic parts that need to be tightened up but that might be just from how close I was sitting.

As someone who saw it in London less then 2 months ago I would say in part 1 the effects are cleaner and more up tp date. Not that they aren’t in London but you can tell the change in technology that was probably not available at the beginning of the London run. 

Overall Part 1 transported me to feeling like I was right there living those events. So excited for tomorrow night 

CoreyRyan3
#65HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 12:48am

It is simply fantastic. 

A few things to say about seating. I was in Row L of the Center Dress Circle, pretty much directly in the center of the theatre. The view is good from this row, if not a little far back. In my row (others can speak to their rows), there was AMPLE leg room. And I am not short. It was a fantastic change for once to not have to constantly wiggle in my seat to be comfortable during a show. Also, one issue I noticed was that from my row, the people's heads in front of me were in direct view of the stage. Almost as if my row hadn't been raised enough. It seemed the people in the row behind me (the last row of the DC) had a fine view, as their seats seemed to be raised higher than usual. As I said, I am a tall individual (6'2), and the guy in front of me was fairly short, and it was a true pain have to adjust my view constantly throughout the show to see different parts of the stage. 

Regardless, this was one of the most magical nights I've ever had in a theatre. The show is amazing, I love being able to return to this universe, and especially in a theatrical production. And how theatrical it is! Doyle has done and incredible job of bringing this to the stage. All the effects, even the ones easily explained, perform brilliantly on stage. There's a particular lighting effect that takes place several times in Act 2 that is simply staggering. The first time it happened, the entire audience gasped in unison. 

As the other people have said tonight, the play is not the best written piece, but it really doesn't even have to be. It's so thrilling to be back with these characters and in the universe so many of us love so dearly. The design and direction are out of this world good. Between Frozen, Angels, and this, there's some fantastic stagecraft on display on Broadway this year. Overblown at times, sure. But jaw-dropping as well. 

The standouts are Anthony Boyle and Jamie Parker for sure. Hoping Noma and Paul Thornley will have a little more to do in Part 2. They are both great in their roles but feel a tad underutilized at times to me, at least in part 1. 

I am in awe of this piece and cannot wait to return tomorrow night! 

Updated On: 3/17/18 at 12:48 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#66HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 1:15am

At this rate, PT, I won't see you until 2018! ha. 

And yea, Jamie gets even better in Part 2! As they all do!

LightsOut90
#67HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 1:35am

what an evening, this is one of the most incredible physical productions ive ever seen.

that being said, the script is messy and based on the trajectory of the end of Part 1, its only going to get messier, but hey im along for the ride if Part 2 has some more of the brilliant illusions that part one did.

Jakeevan942
#68HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 2:12am

I have no words to describe how special this is. The fact that all of us in the room tonight only paid $20 a ticket is just the cherry on top.

Yes, the book isn't perfect, but it doesn't need to be. There are a few things which can be tightened up, and that should come with more full runs-It's a truly massive show. The show runs on the Steve Hoggett movement and the magic and illusion, and that's all it needs.

A few stray thoughts:

The show started a few minutes late, 20 minute intermission, and lights up right at 11. No curtain call at the End of Part 1, but the full audience gave the show a standing ovation for a full minute at the end of the performance.

Per staff, the 42nd street gift shop, which has the show merchandise and Hogwarts stuff, will be open to the public 10-6 on 1-show days, and 10-12 on 2 show days.

The Lyric looks amazing. I might be wrong, but this may be the first time a Broadway Theater was built to the specs of one specific show, and it shows.

And a pleasure to meet PThespian in person. 

Will write more after Part 2 tomorrow. I already feel that this one will be a good one to try and see in a marathon day, the suspense of waiting for the second half is killing me.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#69HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 2:23am

Would love to hear from repeated viewers. To me, the show lost quite a bit of its charm seeing it a second time in London, and the third time the flaws in the script were pretty obtrusive even with all the stage magic.

Dolly80
#71HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 2:46am

I’ve seen it in London and Part 2 is not as good as part 1.. and the script is workmanlike at best but Anthony Boyle is a star and WILL win the Tony. He just continues to impress in the second part and runs away with the whole show.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#72HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 7:53am

The last time I saw the London production was in January and I noticed a few times last night that they either re-arranged some lines or added some lines. They seemed to revamp an entire scene (it was a filler scene but it's setup differently than in London).

The audience definitely loved all the HP characters that appeared, a good number of entrance applause. Of course, the magic elements were applauded. The element at the end of Act 2 was certainly an audience pleaser, especially those in the front section of the Dress Circle.

Cast was mostly on point. For the non-OLC, some accents need some tinkering but overall, they were good. Anthony as Scorpius basically has the audience in the palm of his hand. What a fantastic debut for him. However...

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Looking forward to Part 2 tonight.

Oh, merch... basically the same things as they did in London. They kibda repurposed the London program into a special "Broadway Preview" one. Heh.

10086sunset
#73HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 8:20am

PThespian said: "And a pleasure to meet PThespian in person.

It was a pleasure to meet you as well. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. See you tomorrow.
"

PThespian, I am shocked something got you to leave the Winter Garden! 

Megsamegatron Profile Photo
Megsamegatron
#74HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 8:24am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Would love to hear from repeated viewers. To me, the show lost quite a bit of its charm seeing it a second time in London, and the third time the flaws in the script were pretty obtrusive even with all the stage magic."

I will let you know. Next week I go again (these were purchased during the second pre-sale before the first preview announcement) with seats in a different section so I can report back after my third time. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#75HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 8:51am

So from what I can gather, no one is really blown away by the actual text of the play. Do we expect it to win Best Play just based on the production? 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

pdjennings Profile Photo
pdjennings
#77HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 9:01am

I’m curious as to what everyone means by the writing not being good. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’ve read the printed play several times over the last couple years and I love it. Is it just the storyline you don’t like?

Latest Posts