pixeltracker

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews- Page 5

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews

GregHut
#100HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 8:21pm

Serendipiteedee said: "I'm with you, I love the script on its own. I think the writing is very strong. I've seen the play a number of times in London and am going to see the Broadway version next week. It's not a play with complex dialogue, but it carries on the themes from the books beautifully and develops them further.

I disagree vehemently that it doesn't explore any themes or ideas. It's about legacy, the cycle of abuse, guilt and recovery. It's about coming to terms with the past, creeping from beneath its shadow, and learning how to live with guilt and regret. I've found enormous amounts to explore in the script, and the visual symbolism of the production echoes and elaborates on it.

Jack Thorne clearly understands the characters very well and he does what he always does in his scripts. He lets the characters' be human and flawed, which I very much appreciate. The script on its own won an Olivier in London, with good reason.
"

Thank you for posting this.  I feel like there are a lot of people (mainly on reddit) who are making the "bad writing" claim without actually reading the script.  It's become the cool thing to say, and it's complete bull****.  I don't want to give away any spoilers but I personally loved the themes the play deals with, especially the father-son dynamic.  I loved the new characters and there complicated relationships. I loved the writing!

pdjennings Profile Photo
pdjennings
#101HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 8:54pm

Agree completely! If there's a single "disappointment" in the entire script (imho), it's that they didn't follow through with ....

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

... the very heavily implied budding romance.

Alas -- it's still wonderfully written and an excellent eighth part.

ARTc3
#102HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 10:00pm

I too believe the script to be strong.

Many Potter fans had their first access to this eight installment through reading the script. For those not familiar with playwriting, and perhaps without the experience of reading / seeing many plays, this might have been less than ideal. When you experience this production, you realize how perfect the script actually is. At least I did.

ARTc3 formerly ARTc. Actually been a poster since 2004. My name isn't Art. Drop the "3" and say the signature and you'll understand.

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#103HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 10:02pm

Did anyone sit in the Dress Circle?  I'm in Row J in that section, and given how much I paid for the tickets, the seats had better be good and have leg room.  My seats are 106 and 107 for my friend and I for both parts on Wednesday, Dec. 12.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#104HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 10:50pm

Part Two just ended

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#105HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:41pm

Reports please! Also as I mentioned before, would love to hear report of everyone’s seating (especially the rows closest to the stage).

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#106HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:44pm

Keiichi2 said: "given how much I paid for the tickets, the seats had better be good and have leg room. "

The price of the ticket rarely affects either of those things. But you will see the show listed on your ticket.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#107HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:48pm

As a Potter fan growing up (Not so much anymore), this REALLY is the magic of Harry Potter live right in front of you. Memories and warm feelings flooded back to me. The visuals are really stunning and and give you goosebumps. The writing isn’t great — I am a fan of plays that are character based and really make you think. This play is a much more plot-based action-packed show than it is a thematic one. And even the plot seems to blow itself up a few times and then start from scratch. Regardless, it’s a spectacular broadway event that is sure to wow audiences and run for a very very long time.

The actor playing Scorpius (Anthony Boyle) is far and away the best of the bunch. Or at least has the most fun part and most defined character. If he doesn’t get a tony nom i’ll be upset. Not many of the other characters were written to have quite the nuance to challenge an actor and really grab a Tony win.

And as far a seating goes... I think the Dress Circle is the way to go. You get a full stage picture while being up close enoigh to see their faces.

This is a big contender for best play, much how Into the Woods won best book and best score, but Phantom won best musical. Sometimes you just leave a show feeling elated, even if it has its flaws.

EDIT:

Read a few other comments in this thread and wanted to say:

-Friday Forty seats are Row A, Dress Circle.

-The writing is very distinctly Harry Potter, so it does fit the Harry Potter mold. But JK Rowling was never going to win the Nobel Prize, was she?

Updated On: 3/17/18 at 11:48 PM

CoreyRyan3
#108HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:02am

It's fantastic, it's shocking, it's magical. It deserves all the awards its about to receive. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#109HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:06am

raddersons said: "As a Potter fan growing up (Not so much anymore), this REALLY is the magic of Harry Potter live right in front of you. Memories and warm feelings flooded back to me. The visuals are really stunning and and give you goosebumps. The writing isn’t great — I am a fan of plays that are character based and really make you think. This play is a much more plot-based action-packed show than it is a thematic one. And even the plot seems to blow itself up a few times and then start from scratch. Regardless, it’s a spectacular broadway event that is sure to wow audiences and run for a very very long time.

The actor playing Scorpius (Anthony Boyle) is far and away the best of the bunch. Or at least has the most fun part and most defined character. If he doesn’t get a tony nom i’ll be upset. Not many of the other characters were written to have quite the nuance to challenge an actor and really grab a Tony win.

And as far a seating goes... I think the Dress Circle is the way to go. You get a full stage picture while being up close enoigh to see their faces.

This is a big contender for best play, much how Into the Woods won best book and best score, but Phantom won best musical. Sometimes you just leave a show feeling elated, even if it has its flaws.

EDIT:

Read a few other comments in this thread and wanted to say:

-Friday Forty seats are Row A, Dress Circle.

-The writing is very distinctly Harry Potter, so it does fit the Harry Potter mold. But JK Rowling was never going to win the Nobel Prize, was she?
"

Your experience and thoughts perfectly match what I felt and thought watching the show too (albeit in London). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ilysespieces
#110HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:22am

I described the show when I got home as "literally magical" and I mean that.

I loved both parts and was so engrossed, despite being sat in close proximity to the worst kinds of theater-goers (kids who fidget, bag crinklers, someone's phone rang right at the end, those people). There was also a fight at intermission when a woman was angry that a stranger shushed her kids.

But I seriously loved both parts and my friend said it seems like they tightened up the second part and it was a lot more enjoyable than when she first saw it in London.

Pandarus1
#111HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:24am

I had not read the play before going seeing the previews this weekend and had heard the same negative comments about the script circulating here. Maybe it was only low expectations, but I was blown away by how solid the actual writing was. It's not quality fanfiction, it's not like a sequel to the movies, and it's certainly not an eighth lost novel. In my opinion, however, it's a truly great piece of stage writing that moves beyond simple adaption into something that actual channels the spirit of the books. I actually thought it managed to explore a couple of new characters and a lot of rich themes (isolation, time, father and son relationships) quite well without slowing down the very plot-y story. It's not The Humans or Death of a Salesmen, by any means, but I think it gets the job done as good (or even slightly better) than the books. 

Everything else about this play is equally fantastic, from the acting (mostly) to the direction to the effects to the physical theatre itself.  My only complaint would be a couple of the actors in smaller roles. Also, the number of folks in the audience who seemed intent on performing their "fandom" became distracting over the course of the performances (I'm thinking specifically about the women sitting near me who were carrying on full conversations comparing this to the London production throughout scene transitions and yelling things like "Yes Queen!" when particular characters came on stage). 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#112HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:35am

Speaking of the fandom, are people going to see this in costume? Cosplay and costumes are a big part of this fandom.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#113HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:37am

adamgreer said: "Speaking of the fandom, are people going to see this in costume? Cosplay and costumes are a big part of this fandom. "

I saw a lot of Gryphindor scarves and HP t-shirts, but no one in full costume.

ilysespieces
#114HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:22am

adamgreer said: "Speaking of the fandom, are people going to see this in costume? Cosplay and costumes are a big part of this fandom. "

There were a handful of people in robes, some looked like they were serious quality, too. A large number of people with house colors, especially since they sold a bunch of nice winter gear in house colors. Where I was there were a couple of people that seemed quite hard-core, with the deathly hallows drawn on their foreheads. 

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#115HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:25am

adamgreer said: "Speaking of the fandom, are people going to see this in costume? Cosplay and costumes are a big part of this fandom."

Many people had Harry Potter-theme t-shirts or scarves. I saw a good number of people with robes. There were also a handful in full costume... There were at least three Newt Scamanders around even if he's not in this storyline at all. LOL.

I would have to agree with Pandarus1. Some people needed to calm down and remember that they're in a theatre and not at ComicCon or something like that. Also, I hope the applause/laughs/gasps dies down a little. It's great excitement and all, but the audience didn't need to react to everything. Like there would be in a middle of a scene and a character says something "profound" & the audience erupts in applause. Or when there's applause after several scenes in a row. I get it but after a while, it becomes superfluous.

That being said, I look forward to when I see it again. I mentioned to Jamie Parker at stage door that I noticed the new lines (since most were his) and he said they're still working on them. So, I wonder if they'll stay/change between now and Opening.

rodrigo_ca
#116HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 4:11am

sorano916 said: "adamgreer said: "Speaking of the fandom, are people going to see this in costume? Cosplay and costumes are a big part of this fandom."

Many people had Harry Potter-theme t-shirts or scarves. I saw a good number of people with robes. There were also a handful in full costume... There were at least three Newt Scamanders around even if he's not in this storyline at all. LOL.

I would have to agree withPandarus1. Some people needed to calm down and remember that they're in a theatre and not at ComicCon or something like that. Also, I hope the applause/laughs/gasps dies down a little. It's great excitement and all, but the audience didn't need to react toeverything. Like there would be in a middle of a scene and a character says something "profound" & the audience erupts in applause. Or when there's applause after several scenes in a row. I get it but after a while, it becomessuperfluous.

That being said, I look forward to when I see it again. I mentioned to Jamie Parker at stage door that I noticed the new lines (since most were his) and he said they're still working on them. So, I wonder if they'll stay/change between now and Opening.
"

Do you think Harry's new lines are something substantial or changes the aspects of any of the scenes where they are in? Or it's more like just tightening of the script?

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#117HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 9:57am

I am no Harry Potter fan, saw it in London, loved the effects An day would say the script serves the Harry Potter past books very well.

LightsOut90
#118HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 10:03am

something for folks to keep in mind, this show comparative to others, at least in the west end is drawing ALOT of first time theater goers, a trend I would expect to continue with the broadway run, yes the applause was a bit much the last two nights but keep in mind how many of those folks had their first theater exposure last night, that's a good thing. 

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#119HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 10:15am

^^yes, and most of the audience was also potter fanatics who waited on a crazy long line for $20 tickets. I’d imagine the applause will die down a bit. It was a bit annoying how much clapping there was —it’s like during a musical when people think you have to clap after every number but it just ends up breaking the flow of a scene.

Relevance81491
#120HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 11:14am

I totally agree about problems with audience members and dont think the problem is going anywhere (bring from home snacks, feet on the seats, talk with friends in the isle and then go to seat in the middle of the row when the lights go down and the show starts, over-clapping/oooing, fidgeting) some people genuinely don't see the difference between a movie theatre and a Broadway house.  Also, the theatre isn't doing much to help the situation with their new In-Seat service scheme of offering  plastic wrapped goodies (I was concerned when i saw this, but they were all delivered at the very begging of intermission) and people waiting to unwrap them until the second act starts.  I don't think Potterfans will be the worst audience members on Broadway (Margaritaville), but they will be far from the best.

I was very impressed with the staff at the Lyric (security, how they managed to keep the merch chaos under control) they were knowledgeable, great at communicating information, and made a serious effort to make everyone feel really welcome. 

Back to the show: the script gets better with part two and I am thrilled they came up with some new characters and themes rather than rehashing what was already done in the book.  I certainly don't think it is a bad script, just not worthy of the Tony for Best Play (I think it will get nominated in that category and many others)

I hope all my thoughts make sense

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#121HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:09pm

rodrigo_ca said: "sorano916 said:

That being said, I look forward to when I see it again. I mentioned to Jamie Parker at stage door that I noticed the new lines (since most were his) and he said they're still working on them. So, I wonder if they'll stay/change between now and Opening."

Do you think Harry's new lines are something substantial or changes the aspects of any of the scenes where they are in? Or it's more like just tightening of the script?
"

I thought they were like clarification types of lines. They gave some background to Harry's thought process on why he did somethings that he did which actually kinda came from nowhere in the original script. But it's not substantial enough that if he went back to the original lines that they would change how the scene is played/the outcome of the scene. 

Re: Tony nominations... Because it's them, I can't see how Jamie and Anthony won't be nominated, which Anthony being my pick above Lane for an actual win. Having seen two other actors play Scorpius in London, Anthony brings another level to the character that I actually missed in London and am happy he came along to Broadway.

BTW, have y'all seen the cake? https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgc4BvqHLrw/

Updated On: 3/18/18 at 12:09 PM

oh-bwayhereicome Profile Photo
oh-bwayhereicome
#122HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:58pm

Any pics of merchandise and prices? I'm assuming it must be similar to what they are seling on the London website.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#123HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:07pm

Here are prices... http://i66.tinypic.com/xnykpu.jpg

Spoiler alert: they add different merchandise upon Part Two based on the events at the end of Part One

Most of it is the same as the London production, give or take a few redesigned shirts and things. As of now, they didn’t have posters, bookmarks, and postcards, which was kind of unfortunate for the first preview performances.

The souvenir program looks like it is basically the original London version, with a few additional sections about the redesign of the Lyric Theatre and is being sold as the Broadway Previews Edition. After opening, I’m sure the newer version will have more up-to-date photos of the New York cast.

Jakeevan942
#124HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 2:20pm

The show really is magical. Part 2 is definitely better written as a piece of straight theater; Part 1 has a lot more spots that entice response from the Potterheads in the crowd. The show is in really good shape, Part 2 definitely needs more tightening from a stagecraft perspective than Part 1. They are still working out some of the kinks, but that is to be expected with one of the most technically complex theater pieces to hit the stage in years.

Part 2 ended at 10:45, and there are definitely some places where they can tighten transitions to get it down to the target of 2:35.

The cast is fantastic; Boyle is a stand-out. The full ensemble works incredibly hard, as is typical in a Hoggett movement piece.

They really should give Special Tonys to the Lyric Renovation Team, and the Illusion group, who really make magic happen on stage.

As I said to the cast at the stage door last night, I really have no words to describe this one. It is simply fantastic. And FYI-The stage door crowd was massive but fairly tame given how many people were waiting. All of the principals, and a bunch of ensemble, came out, and it took about an hour from the end of the show for all of the performers to make it down the full line.