Carousel Rush

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#25Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/4/18 at 2:57pm

I didn't think it sucked, just old-fashioned. But I watch movie musicals from the 30s, 40s, 50s and am currently taking Turner Classic Movie's "Mad About Musicals" course.  I'm not crazy about operatic level voices like Renee, but I loved the dancing.  And I've seen it 3 times and planning to see it again. I've heard mixed things about rush, i.e., tickets are available just before the show and hours before hand. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/11/18 at 4:50pm

Has anyone gotten last minute rush seats?

Dolly80
#27Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/12/18 at 8:32pm

How did this win any Tony’s ?

Mendez sounds like a car engine- her vibrato was insane and not in a good way.

Jessie Mueller swallows all of her lines, I had no idea what she was saying. She and Henry have zero chemistry.

Renee Fleming cannot act at all.

Was the intention to make Jigger a camp as possible? I’ve never seen a production that makes the masculinity so absent. One minute he’s going on about being a hard man- the best minute he’s pirouetting and grinning at the audience for applause.

Just the worst show I’ve seen on Broadway in many years.

Schmuli
#28Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/13/18 at 12:42am

Your Question: how did this win any Tony’s?
Answers: 1) Because Lindsay Mendez has a beautiful voice, injected some personality into her character, and is enormously talented. 2) Because Justin Peck’s choreography is creative, visually appealing, and artful.

Lindsay Mendez’s voice a car engine? Jessie Mueller swallows her lines? Renee Fleming cannot act? Jigger, played by Amar R ——> I do not understand a word of what you are criticizing. It’s simply not clear.

Worst show on Broadway in years? C’mon... get serious. The musical score alone is worth the price of admission. While you are entitled to your opinion, I couldn’t disagree more. It’s one of R&H’s best pieces of work.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#29Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/13/18 at 3:00am

So...has anyone rushed recently? Bonus points if you rush this coming weekend and report back on whether the Tony wins impacted the rush situation.

Dolly80
#30Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/13/18 at 1:07pm

It’s pretty clear what I’m saying actually. Read again.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#31Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/13/18 at 1:09pm

Dolly80 said: "How did this win any Tony’s ?

Mendez sounds like a car engine- her vibrato was insane and not in a good way.

Jessie Mueller swallows all of her lines, I had no idea what she was saying. She and Henry have zero chemistry.

Renee Fleming cannot act at all.

Was the intention to make Jigger a camp as possible? I’ve never seen a production that makes the masculinity so absent. One minute he’s going on about being a hard man- the best minute he’s pirouetting and grinning at the audience for applause.

Just the worst show I’ve seen on Broadway in many years.
"

The masculinity problem was an issue my entire group pointed out as well.  I don't think the choreography served the story AT ALL as evidenced the most through Blow High.  I did not believe, for one second, that Jigger was a man capable of murder or even petty theft.  All the sailors seemed weak and powerless.  It also didn't help that Jigger couldn't sing.  The role of Jigger isn't written with the requirment that Jigger dance a five minute masturbatory dance solo, the role of Jigger IS written for someone who can sing.

I thought Fleming deserved the Tony over Mendez if only because I could close my eyes and have a pleasant experience when Fleming sang.  

And I agree that it's the worst show I've seen on Broadway in many years.  Mostly BECAUSE the book/lyrics/music of Carousel give you so much to work with, as a production team, and it was all squandered/cut to death.  I'd rather seen an ok production of an ok musical (like Mean Girls or Groundhogs Day, two shows that I really didn't care for) than a terrible production of a great musical.

The entire production left me angry and I don't think I've ever left a show feeling anger towards a production before this.  

Broadway World's Fireman.
Updated On: 6/13/18 at 01:09 PM

JSquared2
#32Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/13/18 at 1:41pm

Sondheimite said: "
The masculinity problem was an issue my entire group pointed out as well. I don't think the choreography served the story AT ALL as evidenced the most through Blow High. I did not believe, for one second, that Jigger was a man capable of murder or even petty theft. All the sailors seemed weak and powerless. It also didn't help that Jigger couldn't sing. The role of Jigger isn't written with the requirment that Jigger dance a five minute masturbatory dance solo, the role of Jigger IS written for someone who can sing.

Right.  Because everyone knows that Fisher Stevens (who played Jigger in the Hytner production) is known for his singing abilities!

The entire production left me angry and I don't think I've ever left a show feeling anger towards a production before this."

Calm down honey, and take a deep breath. It's just a musical!!

Sondheimite
#33Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/13/18 at 1:45pm

JSquared2 said: 

Calm down honey, and take a deep breath.It's just a musical!!"

I don't know if you know what a discussion board is, but let me try to help you!

Discussion means:

"the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas."

A message board is:

"an Internet site where people can post and read messages, usually on a specific topic or area of interest."

JSquared2
#34Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/13/18 at 1:56pm

Sondheimite said: "JSquared2 said:

I don't know if you know what a discussion board is, but let me try to help you!

Discussion means:

"the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas."

A message board is:

"an Internet site where people can post and read messages, usually on a specific topic or area of interest."

and....??? 

Sondheimite
#35Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/13/18 at 2:00pm

JSquared2 said: "Sondheimite said: "JSquared2 said:

Discussion means:

A message board is:

and....???

"

And I am contributing to the discussion that it made me angry that I payed money to see Carousel but what I got was a version of Carousel with three songs missing and most of the book cut.

And that made me angry.  

carnzee
#36Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/13/18 at 2:07pm

Does anyone have anything to add about the thread topic? This thread is about Carousel rush, not the production.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#37Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/13/18 at 2:11pm

I saw the show the 2nd week of May via RUSH, and got to the box office at 8am.  It was a Wednesday, and I was the 2nd in line, and got a ticket for the matinee.  Was given a box seat and loved every moment of it.  It was a magnificent production - I cried all the way through it.  It was fantastic!

The next day I saw "Hello, Dolly!" via RUSH, and after the show I had dinner at Junior's.  As I was leaving Junior's and going back to my hotel, I saw Amar Ramsar who plays Jigger, standing right outside The Helen Hayes Theatre.  I just had to tell him how magnificent he was, and how much I loved the show.  He was very, very gracious and touched. 

Updated On: 6/13/18 at 02:11 PM

deathofacatler
#38Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/15/18 at 10:33pm

Any updates?

carnzee
#39Carousel Rush
Posted: 6/16/18 at 10:43am

Got in line today at 9:15. There were 20-25 people in front of me. I got an evening show ticket for rear mezz row E, full view. I'm sure it was easier because it is a two show day. The box office told me they were only doing mezzanine for Rush today.

theminutepast
#40Carousel Rush
Posted: 7/21/18 at 2:34pm

I walked up at 11 am on Wednesday and got a matinee ticket in the rear mezz. At intermission, I moved down to the front mezz where there were many open seats. I'd say rush is pretty easy. 

I won't comment on the show other than to say Act 2 was much more engaging than Act 1, and I doubt anyone could do more to modernize this show without rewriting the book significantly. Just leaving out a song and a few lines didn't evolve the show ahead too much, and the ending is moving but I don't really see a meaningful transformation in that character.

pitmusician
#41Carousel Rush
Posted: 7/21/18 at 3:35pm

I actually went to TKTS and got a seat 7th row center orchestra...$90. Was definitely worth it. While they did cut out some scenes that I think are crucial to the show, it is still a good production, probably more aimed for tourists. 

Impossible2
#42Carousel Rush
Posted: 7/21/18 at 4:14pm

My advice - Rush to to see something else x

Fanboy99
#43Carousel Rush
Posted: 8/16/18 at 12:07am

If anyone still cares about this topic, I rushed today around 515-530 and was able to get front mezz!!! B-12, an amazing seat for the price!!!!

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#44Carousel Rush
Posted: 8/16/18 at 1:00am

Thanks, Fanboy99! I'm rushing again next week and am grateful for the update!

Fanboy99
#45Carousel Rush
Posted: 8/16/18 at 1:06am

No problem!!! Glad I could help!!!

suttonlover
#46Carousel Rush
Posted: 9/8/18 at 5:06pm

Has anyone rushed recently (as we get closer to Carousel’s close date)?

I’m hoping to rush tomorrow morning, but I don’t know if I should expect more people because it is closing or less because its popularity has clearly decreased.

Also, does anyone have experience rushing in the rain? Are there usually less people?

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#47Carousel Rush
Posted: 9/8/18 at 5:36pm

I rushed last Saturday just after 12 and got
Front mezz seats for the matinee. The front and rear mezz were very sparse, so even with it closing soon, I think your chances are good. There isn’t Great Comet level enthusiasm for the closing performances.

ArtMan
#48Carousel Rush
Posted: 9/8/18 at 5:38pm

I rushed on Wednesday, August 29.  I went from JFK to rush line and got to a line at 9:20.  I said a line, because for 10 minutes I was in the wrong line.....the Dear Evan Hanson line.  So don't repeat my stupidity.  I got to the real line at 9:30 and was about 20th in line.  Still received a mezzanine seat.  Depends on how many seats they want to use for rush, because the rear mezzanine still had alot of empty seats.

(Insert Clever Name) Profile Photo
(Insert Clever Name)
#49Carousel Rush
Posted: 9/8/18 at 10:01pm

I rushed Wednesday august 15th, got there at 9. Was around 10 in line. Was offered box seats but asked if they could seat me elsewhere. Received Front Mezz row C seat 2. Great seat