pixeltracker

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17- Page 4

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#75HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 1:48pm

Okay, so tickets go on sale Saturday, April 28. Anyone with knowledge abut this?

Will this be the same as the original when there was a start time.... and you could do phone or computer? The first go round, I used three cell phones, (mine plus poor hubby and daughter's, they were troopers) plus one land line and two computers to get tickets. It was my cell phone that ultimately got through after, I believe, maybe 45 minutes.

Or will this just be...  tickets are there go get 'em?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#76HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 1:49pm

DL has been right about a whole bunch of stuff before it became official news. 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#77HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 1:50pm

Stage Door Sally said: "Okay, so tickets go on sale Saturday, April 28. Anyone withknowledge abut this?

Will this be the same as theoriginal whenthere was a start time.... and you could do phone or computer? The first go round, I used three cell phones, (mine plus poor hubby and daughter's, they were troopers) plus one land line and two computers to get tickets. It was my cell phone that ultimately got through after, I believe, maybe45 minutes.

Or will this just be... tickets are there go get 'em?

"

I imagine it would be the same.  With probably a Amex pre sale.  

SFFrontRow
#78HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:00pm

Is it my imagination, or is this the "Producers" syndrome all over again?

You have a great Tony Award winning revival with a blinding star turn (I saw it last spring in a $248 orchestra seat). Star leaves and a (IMHO) just as big a star replaces (Peters). Box office kinda tanks (yeah $1M per week is not a tank, but look at the average ticket price of $97) and tickets are consistently on TKTS board.

When did Bernadette Peters become a secondary player? If she opened this show, she would have been the toast of the town (and Donna Murphy for that matter as well).

I think the Bette hype overshadowed the whole production. Now, this show is not my cup of tea, but as an event, it was an experience. I love me some Bette (one of the premier live performers of my time), I just don't get the downturn after Bette left.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#79HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:10pm

SFFrontRow said: "Is it my imagination, or is this the "Producers" syndrome all over again?

You have a great Tony Award winning revival with a blinding star turn (I saw it last spring in a $248 orchestra seat). Star leaves and a (IMHO) just as big a star replaces (Peters). Box office kinda tanks (yeah $1M per week is not a tank, but look at the average ticket price of $97) and tickets are consistently on TKTS board.

When did Bernadette Peters become a secondary player? If she opened this show, she would have been the toast of the town (and Donna Murphy for that matter as well).

I think the Bette hype overshadowed the whole production. Now, this show is not my cup of tea, but as an event, it was an experience. I love me some Bette (one of the premier live performers of my time), I just don't get the downturn after Bette left.
"

Well.  Just a few thoughts on what you said.  First; Bette is the whole reason this production exists.  I am not sure they would have had the creatives, marketing , and pre show buzz had it not been for her.  I believe Rudin has said that she is the whole reason he acquired the rights to begin with.   Also; Bernadette has done so much on Broadway that for the non fanatical theater goer it is a non event with her name above the title.  The show however magnificent it is.....is also old.   Also.. I don't think there was necessarily a downturn as you say.  Bernadette has done very respectable box office.  There might be other reasons other than financial. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 4/20/18 at 02:10 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#80HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:27pm

blaxx said: "qolbinau said: "I wonder if they announced Bette’s return too soon."

Totally, what a way to kill ticket sales until then.
"

I’m sure the show may take a bit of a hit at the box office before Bette returns, but maybe not as much as feared. Most NYC tourists don’t necessarily book their vacations around one show. We here on BWW are truly the exception. (I’m going to NYC in June - even though later this year would be preferable - simply because I want to catch Angels in America and Three Tall Women before they close) If people were already planning to vacation (including likely unrefundable airplane tix and hotel reservations) in NYC pre-Bette’s return and get tix to see Hello, Dolly!, they likely don’t have the luxury of rebooking their trip without paying significant cancellation and rebooking fees. It’s either see Dolly with Bernadette while they’re there or not at all. Maybe they’ll choose “not at all”, but I suspect most who were inclined to see it, still will. Same for those standing in line at TKTS (I know that this isn’t ideal as the tix are greatly discounted, but I’m guessing that currently the show is selling a significant number of tickets this way and will continue to do so until Bette returns). I guess we’ll see what those Monday box office reports tell us. Personally I’ve seen it once with Bette and once with Bernadette and loved it both times. I feel no need to rank them. They both had different takes on Dolly and were phenomenal in the role. I’m grateful for that. I would only likely see it a third time (cover your ears, Dollypop) with a new Dolly (was really hoping for Audra!). I missed Donna too and would be tempted to see it if she returned. But as that isn’t guaranteed and I won’t likely be returning again this summer after June, that isn’t to be. I also think that the current Hello, Dolly! With Bernadette will benefit from the fact that this has been such a lackluster season for new musical productions and revivals. As I only get to NYC usually once a year (this year will be an exception with 2 or 3 trips), I usually forgo revisiting my favorite shows (Hamilton, DEH, The Band’s Visit, Wicked, etc.) in lieu of seeing new productions and revivals. Because of the lack of new quality shows, I’m gonna likely be seeing more plays (Angels, Three Tall Women, maybe Boys in the Band, perhaps Skintight off-Broadway) in June than musicals (definitely MFL and OOTI; maybe Spongebob and Carousel). This is a first for me.  And we know tourists prefer musicals most of the time so hopefully Dolly will be just fine. I mean other than the musical stalwarts (Ham, Wicked, The Lion King, Book of Mormon, etc.), it’s main completion from the last season is MFL, Carousel, Frozen, and The Band’s Visit.  Otherwise. its a sponge, a flying cheeseburger, and a sanitized Donna Summer.  

Updated On: 4/20/18 at 02:27 PM

Jarethan
#81HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:46pm

He may be rich and successful, but Scott Rudin is  clearly notDavid Merrick.  I find it unfathomable that the show is closing after those reviews and such a short run.  I do believe that this show became too much about Bette Midler, and that hurt the show's long-term opportunity.  I wonder what the Weissler's would have done to give a third life to this show.

People have said that it is too old-fashioned to attract a broader audience, absent a mega-star.  I guess that must be true.  There is no other explanation.  I am really surprised that Rudin could not get someone else to follow Peters.  Such a shame.

Updated On: 4/21/18 at 02:46 PM

BroadwayBeebe
#82HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:51pm

Do we think that Midler and DHP coming back means that this production could return to some of the blocking and choreography that opened the production as opposed to when it went through the January changes and Re-tech? I personally prefer the production before the staging changes were made, but it’s a fantastic evening either way.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#83HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:51pm

Not trying to spread any rumors but, with My Fair Lady receiving Raves last night. Do we think the Hello dolly closing is to help Carousels Grosses boost once Hello dolly closes? I know this is probally not the case but the thought crossed my mind.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#84HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:52pm

Bwayfan292 said: "Do we think the Hello dolly closing is to help Carousels Grosses boost once Hello dolly closes?"

No.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#85HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:52pm

I'm sure Rudin COULD find someone to follow Bernadette, but it's not a cheap production to run. I appreciate that he's going to close it with class as opposed to following the Weissler method of throwing in Real Housewives to keep a show open. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

10086sunset
#86HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:54pm

So much for all that talk, especially from a few known Bernadette Peters lovers here that the show didn't take a hit when she came aboard. 

At the end of the day, this industry comes down to dollars and cents. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#87HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:57pm

What’s the weekly nut for the show?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#88HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 2:59pm

Jarethan said: "He may be rich and successful, but Scott Rudin is clearly David Merrick. I find it unfathomable that the show is closing after those reviews and such a short run. I do believe that this show became too much about Bette Midler, and that hurt the show's long-term opportunity. I wonder what the Weissler's would have done to give a third life to this show.

People have said that it is too old-fashioned to attract a broader audience, absent a mega-star. I guess that must be true. There is no other explanation. I am really surprised that Rudin could not get someone else to follow Peters. Such a shame.
"

I think finding another “someone” to follow Peters is trickier than it sounds. That “someone” has to having above average acting chops, at least a decent singing voice, up to the demands of 7 or 8 shows a week, and enough star power to attract tourists. That’s a lot. Anything less leads to either a lackluster performance by a star Ill-fitted to the role that tarnishes this revival’s reputation or fizzles with a qualified non-star and closes with its last weeks’ of poor box office performance. I was shocked too, but in retrospect this makes sense. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#89HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:01pm

10086sunset said: "So much for all that talk, especially from a few known Bernadette Peters lovers here that the show didn't take a hit when she came aboard.

"

WORD!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#90HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:05pm

10086sunset said: "So much for all that talk, especially from a few known Bernadette Peters lovers here that the show didn't take a hit when she came aboard.

"

Well given I am one of the few 'known Bernadette Peters' lovers here I assume this complete misrepresentation of the ideas discussed here is directed to me.

First, as far as I'm aware Bernadette's run is not being cut short. She is scheduled to continue all performances as originally sold. This is not a situation where the show is tanking and they are trying to get Bette to return as quickly as possible to save it (such as bringing Mandy in) - they are simply making a strategic decision for how the show can continue without Bernadette. Don't make it sound like this is a reactionary decision to a tanking show. It's not. Bernadette has proved she is still one of the few Broadway stars that actually can sell tickets.

Second, not one single person claimed the shows grosses didn't reduce once Bernadette came on board. The objective evidence is publicly available. However, we did claim that the show is doing fine with Bernadette given it has almost consistently grossed $1 million per week since she started performances. Assuming the show recouped with Bette, the show is probably in a financially healthy state. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/20/18 at 03:05 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#91HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:12pm

qolbinau said: "10086sunset said: "So much for all that talk, especially from a few known Bernadette Peters lovers here that the show didn't take a hit when she came aboard.

"

Well given I am one of the few 'known Bernadette Peters' lovers here I assume this complete misrepresentation of the ideas discussed here is directed to me.

First, as far as I'm aware Bernadette's run is not being cut short. She is scheduled to continue all performances as originally sold. This is not a situation where the show is tanking and they are trying to get Bette to return as quickly as possible to save it (such as bringing Mandy in) - they are simply making a strategic decision for how the show can continue without Bernadette. Don't make it sound like this is a reactionary decision to a tanking show. It's not. Bernadette has proved she is still one of the few Broadway stars that actually can sell tickets.

Second, not one single person claimed the shows grosses didn't reduce once Bernadette came on board. The objective evidence is publicly available. However, we did claim that the show is doing fine with Bernadette given it has almost consistently grossed $1 million per week since she started performances. Assuming the show recouped with Bette, the show is probably in a financially healthy state.

"

qolbinau , my good thought are with you this morning as well.  I love my fellow Diva lovers.  Bernadette, Bette, Liza, Babs, .. we take things to heart and we love our girls.  

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#92HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

Did I read correctly that the show just recently recouped? That surprises me. I would have thought it would have recouped with the box office, record breaking numbers Bette brought in, while she was still in it. 

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#93HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

Almost certain that the show will be filmed. Bringing back Bette is a no-brainer, but the fact that DHP and Creel are also returning to the production bodes well for it being filmed. Hopefully, for a commercial release, but a theatrical release at the very least.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#94HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:14pm

Stage Door Sally said: "Did I read correctly that the show just recently recouped? That surprises me.I would have thought it would have recouped with the box office, record breaking numbers Bette brought in, while she was still in it."

I would take a look at where you read that.  No dig at another BWW member intended.  But when someone lists data lounge as their source....

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#95HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:15pm

qolbinau said: "10086sunset said: "So much for all that talk, especially from a few known Bernadette Peters lovers here that the show didn't take a hit when she came aboard.

"

To be sure, Bernadette is completing her run and not being cut short. Also, the show is doing respectable box office, especially for a show that has reportedly recouped. And I suppose Bernadette isn’t as expensive as Bette was. I just think that they couldn’t find a suitable successor for Bernadette to extend the show in both a profitable and quality way once Bernadette’s contract comes to an end. 

10086sunset
#96HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:23pm

"

As far as Bernadette proving she's still one of the Broadway stars who can sell tickets, I'm not sure at the moment if its the title and reviews of the show selling tickets or Miss Peters' involvement. 

I never said the show was tanking.  

Regarding the show doing fine with Bernadette, perhaps that's simply a matter of opinion. Based on the recent announcement, I feel like the parties involved felt the show wasn't doing well enough to sustain going forward with Miss Peters or another name not as big as Bette. 

"

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#97HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:26pm

I guess I was wrong.

Clearly, Rudin is no Merrick.  Not even close.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#98HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:31pm

Luscious said: "Almost certain that the show will be filmed.Bringing back Bette is a no-brainer, but the fact that DHP and Creel are also returning to the production bodes well for it being filmed. Hopefully, for a commercial release, but a theatrical release at the very least."

Quite a coup for Charlie Stemp, he gets to join the original cast now, too.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#99HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/20/18 at 3:37pm

haterobics said: "Luscious said: "Almost certain that the show will be filmed.Bringing back Bette is a no-brainer, but the fact that DHP and Creel are also returning to the production bodes well for it being filmed. Hopefully, for a commercial release, but a theatrical release at the very least."

Quite a coup for Charlie Stemp, he gets to join the original cast now, too.
"

Will Beanie come back?  Because that new girl did nothing for me.