Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#4THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 7:56pm

Wow, that's a super early review release for the Times!

I only wish I'd been in the audience to see Brantley "beaming like a tickled 2-year-old." LOL.

220Basswood
#5THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 8:02pm

They are so much better than I thought they would be.  The reviews at this forum were less than positive.  I am supposed to see it in 3 weeks and am very excited it got good reviews.

Someone had even said there were discount codes because it wasn't selling well.  I bet those codes will now good away.

Here is a link to all posted reviews.

http://www.playbill.com/article/read-the-reviews-for-broadways-new-the-iceman-cometh-starring-denzel-washington

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#6THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 8:37pm

Thrilled for the cast and creative team. At the same time, a part of me had hoped the reviews wouldn’t be great so I wouldn’t feel like I HAD to see it. Especially since this will be my third trip to Harry Hope’s. But these are seriously glowing!

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#7THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 8:49pm

I'd say Denzel just snagged a nomination, as did the the director and the revival itself. 

Interesting how it was virtually ignored from Drama Desk and Outer Critics nominations.

oldfriends
#8THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 8:52pm

Honestly, while I agree with Brantley's assessment, Morse is the real standout here. He's simply extraordinary. Although Denzel's soft, understated line readings at the close of each act did take my breath away.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#9THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:20pm

220Basswood said: "They are so much better than I thought they would be. The reviews at this forum were less than positive. I am supposed to see it in 3 weeks and am very excited it got goodreviews.

Someone had even said there were discount codes because it wasn't selling well. I bet those codes will now good away.

Here is a link to all posted reviews.

http://www.playbill.com/article/read-the-reviews-for-broadways-new-the-iceman-cometh-starring-denzel-washington
"

Preview performances, especially early ones, of George Wolfe's productions do tend to be work in progress. The only problem with his approach is that they are charging the full price for these performances, and the attendees have every right to treat them as a finished work.

#10THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:24pm

oldfriends said: "Honestly, while I agree with Brantley's assessment, Morse is the real standout here. He's simply extraordinary.Although Denzel's soft, understated line readings at the close of each act did take my breath away."

It looks a bit odd though that Morse is getting these nominations (Drama Desk, Outer Critics) and Denzel isn't. The reviews don't back it up, and that's what it should come down to. I know they are in different categories, but Denzel is the one getting mostly raves, while Morse is barely mentioned in many of the reviews, and some that do say he's not engaging or miscast (Theatremania, New York Daily News).

Wonder if some people have an issue with Hickey being played by a black man, and that might be costing Denzel. The Vulture review made a big noise for a paragraph pretty much asking why Hickey was being played by a black guy.

NievesG Profile Photo
NievesG
#11THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:35pm

Denzel and Michael Potts were the only things keeping me awake during this thing. One clearly has to be a huge O'Neill fan to appreciate this. I've seen stagings of A Moon for the Misbegotten that were more bearable.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#12THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:36pm

scrumpyjack said: "oldfriends said: "Honestly, while I agree with Brantley's assessment, Morse is the real standout here. He's simply extraordinary.Although Denzel's soft, understated line readings at the close of each act did take my breath away."

It looks a bit odd though that Morse is getting these nominations (Drama Desk, Outer Critics) and Denzel isn't. The reviews don't back it up, and that's what it should come down to. I know they are in different categories, but Denzel is the one getting mostly raves, while Morse is barely mentioned in many of the reviews, and some that do say he's not engaging or miscast (Theatremania, New York Daily News).

Wonder if some people have an issue with Hickey being played by a black man, and that might be costing Denzel. The Vulture review made a big noise for a paragraph pretty much asking why Hickey was being played by a black guy.
"

Look up the nominators of these awards and you'll see why.

BWAY Baby2
#13THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 10:09pm

Saw it a few weeks ago- and was blown away- one of the best nights ever in the theater. The show is totally engaging- not a boring moment in it- all characters so enthusiastic, energetic, animated, complex and believe it or not- humorous. I loved this show- and my friend and I are still analyzing it- we both were totally engrossed- every second- and the tie flew by- sitting in row three- center- did not just, either. We caught every grimace, word and shading. What a great night in the theater that was.

Jarethan
#14THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/26/18 at 10:22pm

NievesG said: "Denzel and Michael Potts were the only things keeping me awake during this thing. One clearly has to be a huge O'Neill fan to appreciate this. I've seen stagings of A Moon for the Misbegotten that were more bearable."

I find the dismissal of A Moon for the Misbegotten pretty mind-boggling.  In 50+ years of frequent theatre going, the single most memorable production I have ever seen remains the 1973 production of A Moon for the Misbegotten, which also received some of the most amazing reviews I have ever read. I have seen several other productions that were also solidly entertaining.  Also, unlike Iceman, Long Day's Journey, Strange Interlude, More Stately Mansions (the ones that I can think of right this minute), Moon is not a particularly long play.  That is could bring out that dismissive a view is mind-boggling.  You apparently just haven't seen the right productions of Moon.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#15THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/27/18 at 12:36am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Preview performances, especially early ones, of George Wolfe's productions do tend to be work in progress. The only problem with his approach is that they are charging the full price for these performances, and the attendees have every right to treat them as a finished work."

OK, but if you know that is his process... seems easy to just... wait?

NievesG Profile Photo
NievesG
#16THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/27/18 at 6:27am

Jarethan said: I find the dismissal of A Moon for the Misbegotten pretty mind-boggling. In 50+ years of frequent theatre going, the single most memorable production I have ever seen remains the 1973 production of A Moon for the Misbegotten, which also received some of the most amazing reviews I haveever read. I have seen several other productions that were also solidly entertaining. Also,unlike Iceman, Long Day's Journey, Strange Interlude, More Stately Mansions (the ones that I can think of right this minute), Moon is not a particularly long play. That is could bring out that dismissive a view is mind-boggling. You apparently just haven't seen the right productions of Moon."

Clearly not. Again, in my opinion, one must appreciate O'Neill and his work because nothing Ive read or seen from his body of work moves me. I've learned my lesson twice now. I'll stick to August Wilson revivals for myself lol

HatchKat
#17THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/27/18 at 8:24am

NievesG said: "Denzel and Michael Potts were the only things keeping me awake during this thing. One clearly has to be a huge O'Neill fan to appreciate this. I've seen stagings of A Moon for the Misbegotten that were more bearable."

I agree with this 100%. I couldn’t wait for the first act to be over (though I found each act to be better and better). Nothing but respect and admiration for all of the actors because this is a tremendous production to take on but Denzel’s performance in particular is the only reason I stayed through the whole thing. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#18THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/29/18 at 12:52pm

Damn, now after reading Brantley’s review, I really want to see this. All my slots are taken on my 7-night June trip. Shall I add another night? We shall see.

Update: I might be able to make it work with my current travel plans. 

Sunday matinee: 1:00 The Iceman Cometh (was previously 3:00 Once on This Island)

Sunday night: 6:30 Spongebob (had already planned this for this time slot)

Late night dinner: Aquagrill (already reserved) 

These two shows on the same day will be a very surreal double feature. Talk about going from the serious to the silly. Of course, after 4 hours of O’Neill that may be exactly what I need. 

Monday: 8:00 Once on This Island (moved from Sunday matinee) 

Late Post-theater Dinner: Buddakan 

Monday was going to be my only day without theater. Was reserving that evening for relaxing meal at Buddakan, but since OOTI is only 90 minutes and Buddakan takes later reservations, I should be able to have my relaxing meal, just a little later than planned. Of course, this also assumes these three shows keep their current performance schedules. 

Okay, off to rob a bank to afford Iceman tickets. After forking over a boatload of $$$ yesterday for June tickets for My Fair Lady, Skintight, and The Boys in the Band, I’ll need it. Lol

Updated On: 4/29/18 at 12:52 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#19THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/30/18 at 12:28pm

Need some advice. Just discovered my calculations above are incorrect. Iceman starts at 2:00 (not 1:00 as cited above). TKTS says the running time is 3:50 (I’m assuming that includes intermissions). Is that correct?

So would it be realistic to think I could be out of the Bernard B Jacobs Theatre by 6:00 p.m. to walk the five minutes (with perhaps a dash over to TKTS if I haven’t bought my ticket yet) to the Palace Theatre for the 6:30 performance of Spingebob? Thanks in advance for your help.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#20THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/30/18 at 12:39pm

Miles2Go2, I think you could only make both shows if you have your SpongeBob ticket in advance. Sounds to me like you'd need to go straight from the Jacobs to the Palace. 

bfreak
#21THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/30/18 at 1:40pm

I think you'll have enough time. Iceman should be out no later than 6:00 and the two theatres are close to each other. Just make sure you go straight there and you'll have plenty of time! Hope this helps!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#22THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 4/30/18 at 1:55pm

Thanks all! I’ll def be buying my Iceman ticket next for my trip. It looks like Lincoln Center TKTS starts selling Sunday evening tix at Noon. So I can likely dash over there after brunch and get my Spongebob ticket before the Iceman matinee. I never thought I’d wanted to see Spongebob and I just added Iceman to the list in last day or so.

I’m going to be exhausted after this trip, but in the best way. 7-nights, lots of great meals, hopefully some awesome retail therapy, and 10 theatrical experiences (if you count Angels in America as two plays). That will be an all time record for me.

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#23THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 5/3/18 at 12:46am

I never thought of seeing Spongebob either. Until I did. So much fun that I’ve been twice and may well go again!
Was at Iceman tonight. Worth every moment—even while waiting for Tammy Blanchard’s understudy to step in for the last act. This is a terrific cast all around. Reg Rogers and Frank Wood are superb!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#24THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 5/5/18 at 1:08pm

Tammy was out for me tonight too, but it didn’t affect the show one bit. Hope she’s okay.

I was not entirely familiar with the play so I found it a bit long and slow-burning at times, but ultimately satisfying and enjoyable for what I paid. I honestly think David Morse is the real star of this production (with Austin Butler a close second) since I could not keep my eyes off of him. Denzel was fine, but not Earth-shattering. He did his Denzel thing and the audience ate it up. Maybe I would have loved him more if I still didn’t have Andrew Garfield’s “THIS WILL WIN ALL THE AWARDS” performance stuck in my head.

I like how the show is paced at about 60-75 minutes per act. It makes for easier digestion of the material for sure.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

bfreak
#25THE ICEMAN COMETH (2018) Reviews
Posted: 5/5/18 at 9:20pm

I also saw last night's performance and truly enjoyed it. While I felt David Morse felt like more of the lead than Washington, I definitely thought that everyone complimented their performances beautifully and everyone functioned so well as an ensemble. Denzel's monologue in the fourth act was incredibly powerful and compelling. The production itself was extremely well directed, and the play mostly did not drag and felt shorter than some 90 minute shows (with the exception of about 10-15 minutes before Hickey's entrance). While I believe Angels in America should win Best Revival, I'd be fine with either Garfield or Washington winning as both of their performances were so honest, sincere, and beautiful. Tammy Blanchard's understudy was very good and did a great job, felt like she'd been performing the part for months.

Updated On: 5/5/18 at 09:20 PM

Videos