Is Dreamgirls dead?

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#25Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 7/18/18 at 6:28pm

It says 2018/2019 because it's eyeing this upcoming season (2018-2019). Definitely the spring.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#26Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 7/18/18 at 7:24pm

I would loooove to see this at the Marquis Theatre. Mainly for the simple fact i would love to see that advertising on the huge blank wall outside. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Bibby87 Profile Photo
Bibby87
#27Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 7/19/18 at 8:16am

Seeing it again tonight in the West End with Marisha - Marisha needs to come over and be Amber's standby she is just soo incredible 

Loopin’theloop
#28Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 7/19/18 at 10:25am

Dancingthrulife2 said: "The west end production is one of the worst things I've seen in professional/commercial theater. The direction is all over the place and is no better than that of the abominable Carousel revival."

I have to agree with the above. The West End production is a mess. The staging and direction are self conscious, Michael Bennett didn’t create a show that moved constantly, he created a show that have the impression of moving constantly. He knew how you to use stillness and to focus a moment. The West End production is staged and played at one level of in your face. It’s exciting to begin with but the human eye and ear can only take in so much for so long until it all becomes a mish mash. In the same way that vocal harmony is most effective when their is unison to counter it, this production feels like an acid trip. It doesn’t mean that the audience aren’t enjoying it but it could be more enjoyable if everything wasn’t in primary colours and bold type throughout. It feels like a juke box musical, intent on keeping its energy at ten to trick the audience into believing they are having a better time than they are, which is sad because the material is better then that. 

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#29Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 7/19/18 at 10:48am

Loopin’theloop said: "...the human eye and ear can only take in so much for so long until it all becomes a mish mash."

Is Dreamgirls dead?
Sorry couldn't help myself.  I'm actually ecstatic for Dreamgirls to transfer.  I'm just hoping they can nail the casting. 

Updated On: 7/19/18 at 10:48 AM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#30Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 7/20/18 at 2:51pm

Loopin’theloop said: "Dancingthrulife2 said: "The west end production is one of the worst things I've seen in professional/commercial theater. The direction is all over the place and is no better than that of the abominable Carousel revival."

I have to agree with the above. The West End production is a mess. The staging and direction are self conscious, Michael Bennett didn’t create a show that moved constantly, he created a show that have the impression of moving constantly. He knew how you to use stillness and to focus a moment. The West End production is staged and played at one level of in your face. It’s exciting to begin with but the human eye and ear can only take in so much for so long until it all becomes a mish mash. In the same way that vocal harmony is most effective when their is unison to counter it, this production feels like an acid trip. It doesn’t mean that the audience aren’t enjoying it but it could be more enjoyable if everything wasn’t in primary colours and bold type throughout. It feels like a juke box musical, intent on keeping its energy at ten to trick the audience into believing they are having a better time than they are, which is sad because the material is better then that.
"

Excellent points. I would love to see a production with the original Bennett staging because it's been over 35 years since it debuted on Broadway and I'd argue there are two generations of theatre fans who have never seen anything like it.

robskynyc
#31Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 7/21/18 at 11:23am

Warbucks2 said: "Loopin’theloop said: "...the human eye and ear can only take in so much for so long until it all becomes a mish mash."

Is Dreamgirls dead?
Sorry couldn't help myself. I'm actually ecstatic for Dreamgirls to transfer. I'm just hoping they can nail the casting.

"

it would be dope to see JHud come back as effie, no?

silent
#32Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:50pm

If and when this happens, can they go back to the original staging?

Cut Listen out as a duet please!

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#33Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 11/17/18 at 12:21pm

If it literally means anythig, Hailey Kilgore posted someone saying Hailey for Deena and Jailen for Effie.

Jailen also posted a video of her singing and im telling you, in a rehearsal room with tons of cameras, and other broadway people, reshared the story saying give her the tony now.

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#34Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 11/17/18 at 1:02pm

Jai'Len Josey has been the only person I want for Effie since I saw Spongebob a year ago.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#35Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 11/17/18 at 1:06pm

I want Dreamgirls back on Broadway badly.

But I feel like this is going to end up like the recent Carousel if the London production/direction transfers.

I want a GOOD production of Dreamgirls on Broadway.  I'm so sick of Casey Nicholaw's bag of tricks in general and I don't want his Casey Nicholaw's Bag Of Tricks Production of Dreamgirls on Broadway.  

Broadway World's Fireman.

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#36Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 11/17/18 at 1:29pm

I would love to see Dreamgirls back on Broadway again...just not this particular production. I would love the new generation of theater fans to experience the magic of Michael Bennett’s original staging.

...i am an infinite soul in a human body who is in the process of never ending growth...

MadsonMelo
#37Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 11/17/18 at 3:22pm

I loved the West End production aside from the actress playing Deena.

It was a glamorous and glorious night at theater with great production value and an amazing cast.

YvanEhtNioj
#38Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 2/19/19 at 1:16pm

I know this topic pops up every few months.. but I'm hoping this is still a thing. With so many shows closing, it's not like there isnt any space. 

Megsamegatron Profile Photo
Megsamegatron
#39Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 2/19/19 at 2:38pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "I know this topic pops up every few months.. but I'm hoping this is still a thing. With so many shows closing, it's not like there isnt any space."

At the end January there was a casting call for Dreamgirls on Playbill and in the description it said TBA 2019/2020 for show dates so I still haven't given up hope 

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#40Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 2/19/19 at 3:21pm

This has been on-again/off-agaon as much as a Funny Girl revival.  If the tour a few years ago was any indication, it's probably best not revived.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Theatrefanboy1
#41Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 2/19/19 at 10:55pm

Honestly. I hope it is. The London production left lots to be desired. And unless you have a couple big names in it. I can’t see that Production last more than a couple months before closing shop

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 2/19/19 at 11:36pm

Nicholaw is such a hot director right now - or maybe it's dying after Tuck and The Prom - and I'm surprised this didn't happen faster. They've had, at least, 3 casting calls for it in the past 3 years, so if it's not dead, I don't know what is stalling it. 

alex814
#43Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 5/2/19 at 11:06pm

Did anything ever come from those Equity auditions held a while back? This transfers feels more dead now than ever

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#44Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 5/2/19 at 11:29pm

They’ve had 2 rounds of auditions, I’d assume it’s dead. Given Casey’s track record he must know the right people, so if he wanted this to come in, it would have.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#45Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 5/2/19 at 11:34pm

He gave an interview recently saying it was a matter of schedules and he really hopes it comes in next season. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#46Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 5/3/19 at 12:47am

What has Amber R. done in the past year?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#47Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 5/3/19 at 11:40am

Last I heard, from a pretty reliable source, it was issues with finding a theatre to hold the production.

YvanEhtNioj
#48Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 5/3/19 at 11:45am

Welp. There may Be a few open soon.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#49Is Dreamgirls dead?
Posted: 5/3/19 at 11:56am

I'm excited for this. I saw her perform with Shoshana Bean in LA a few months ago and she sounded fantastic. 

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999