Backpacks lately?

madela2
#1Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 9:39pm

I’ll be getting into town from the airport Saturday morning, hitting up 3 shows, and then heading home Sunday night. I’m planning on bringing a smallish backpack (very scrunchable under a seat) and no purse.

It seems that the info they send prior to shows lately have really discouraged backpacks more than before (or at least I’ve just been actually reading the emails lately). However, last weekend I did see someone at Three Tall Women with a backpack.

My specific question is, has anyone noticed or had experience with backpacks at Band’s Visit?

I may also have the backpack for my Saturday matinee of Boys in the Band but obviously we can’t know about that one yet.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 9:42pm

You'll be fine. As long as the bag isn't obnoxiously large and you're willing to submit to a cursory check of its inside by the security guard at entry, they'll let you in. 

greenifyme2
#3Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 9:53pm

I told my husband that HP seemed to be pretty strict with the metal detectors/security and he shouldn’t bring his work stuff (backpack + huge laptop) to the theater... then we got there and the girls next to us each had a large backpack + several huge shopping bags... needless to say he brought his backpack the next night and it was fine.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#4Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 10:04pm

I went to a lot of shows this spring and I never saw anyone turned away because of a backpack. As long as it's not much bigger than a tote bag/very large purse and you open all the zippers of the main pockets for the security check, you should be fine.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#5Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 10:11pm

I often take backpacks and have never had an issue even more recently. You can always check it at the coat check if you're really worried.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

mailhandler777
#6Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 10:36pm

I always have a backpack or messenger bag with me. As long as you comply with the bag search you'll be fine.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#7Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 10:48pm

I have two messenger bags. A larger one for work and a smaller soft one. I try to plan shows so that I dom't have to take the bigger ome. It has work stuff in it. I never take shopping bags with me unless I have attended an event right before the show that gives out stuff.

They really should ban M&M and American Girl Doll bags!

Just give the world Love.

madela2
#8Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/29/18 at 10:51pm

Very encouraging responses!

I’m looking forward to traveling as light as possible so I don’t plan on having much in the bag anyway. Should be a breeze for security to search through.

Thanks, everyone!

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#9Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 7:33am

Great thread. I’m in the same situation for “The Band’s Visit” at the end of May where I’ll be coming from the airport and seeing the show before hotel check-in. I’ll also have a very small backpack as my overnight bag since I’m flying economy with no check-in luggage.

Maybe the OP can come back and also let us know if they have a coat check where I can leave my backpack. I’m sitting front row orchestra and really won’t have anywhere to shove it under a seat other than stand it up on the floor between my legs.

Updated On: 4/30/18 at 07:33 AM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#10Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 7:40am

Never once had a problem with a drawstring backpack in over 125 shows, even in today’s climate.

Just be willing to submit to the cursory security check at the door.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

nasty_khakis
#11Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 9:39am

I carry a larger backpack almost every day and to just about every show I go see and they'll ask me unzip the top and they'll peek in and poke it with the stick and wave me in. 

Maybe the materials were referring to "backpacking" backpacks than your everyday carry your gym shoes and laptop around bag?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#12Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:10am

I brought one straight from work to Children of a Lesser God last week and had no problem. It wasn't heavy at all, but it wasn't small (I was mostly carrying empty containers from bringing lunch to the office).

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

madela2
#13Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 11:47am

dmwnc1959 said: "Great thread. I’m in the same situation for “The Band’s Visit” at the end of May where I’ll be coming from the airport and seeing the show before hotel check-in. I’ll also have a very small backpack as my overnight bag since I’m flying economy with no check-in luggage.

Maybe the OP can come back and also let us know if they have a coat check where I can leave my backpack. I’m sitting front row orchestra and really won’t have anywhere to shove it under a seat other than stand it up on the floor between my legs.
"

If you feel comfortable, you should be able to check your backpack at the hotel desk before check-in if you don’t want to worry about it fitting under a seat. I always do that with my 2-3 night duffle. The flights I take usually get in around 10am so I’m very early for check-in and have no problems. I’m just not going that route this time because I’ll also be using my backpack in lieu of my purse for the weekend.

So glad that it seems I won’t be the only one with a backpack. Mine is definitely small as it is meant for holding a hydration pack while biking/hiking and is very lightweight material. 

Thanks again, everyone!

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#14Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 1:08pm

I have taken a backpack to every show I have seen in the last five plus years. The only issue I've ever encountered was when a security guard insisted I throw out or donate my unopened bag of naked cashews at The Color Purple. I have also found that taking outside beverages inside are fine as long as they are in a canteen, and not a plastic water bottle. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#15Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 1:28pm

Once the weather gets nicer out, most theaters stop offering coat check services.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:38pm

Saw one like this last week at MEAN GIRLS: 

Backpacks lately?

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#17Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 6:18pm

madela2 said: “If you feel comfortable, you should be able to check your backpack at the hotel desk before check-in if you don’t want to worry about it fitting under a seat."

Thank you! I’ll definitely check in to it. I have to walk right past the hotel anyways on the way to Times Square from Penn Station.  

S394206H Profile Photo
S394206H
#18Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 9:18pm

Thank you for this! I am coming for one day to see Lobby Hero and Me and My Girl next Wednesday, and I was hoping the small backpack I plan on bringing wouldn't be an issue!

God, the almighty and all-knowing, has misplaced a cup?

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#19Backpacks lately?
Posted: 4/30/18 at 10:19pm

I was flying out of the Phoenix airport and they were using dogs before you showed your ID to go through security. It made the whole process a lot quicker. 

mailhandler777
#20Backpacks lately?
Posted: 5/1/18 at 1:05am

SmoothLover said: "I was flying out of the Phoenix airport and they were using dogs before you showed your ID to go through security. It made the whole process a lot quicker."

When I flew out of BWI they used the dogs too and we still had to take off our shoes, jackets and take our electronics out of our bags but flying back from Nashville they used the dogs and we didn't have to. Guess it depends on the airport.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)