pixeltracker

Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread- Page 5

Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread

benwilsonn.xo
#100Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/4/18 at 11:37am

As much as I want Lindsay to win for Best Featured Actress in a Musical, I feel her and Ashley Park will split the votes letting one of the other three come through.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#101Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/4/18 at 11:44am

I wouldn't mind seeing Renee Fleming snatch the Tony. Her work over the years in the opera world is just stunning and she really is one of the best voices of all time. I wouldn't mind her winning simply because of who she is. Same for Diana Rigg.

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#102Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/4/18 at 11:48am

Best Musical
The Band’s Visit

Frozen
Mean Girls
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical

Best Revival of a Musical
My Fair Lady
Once On This Island
Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel

Best Book of Musical
The Band’s Visit: Itamar Moses
Frozen: Jennifer Lee
Mean Girls: Tina Fey
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical: Kyle Jarrow

Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre
Angels in America: Adrian Sutton
The Band’s Visit: David Yazbek
Frozen: Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
Mean Girls: Jeff Richmond and Nell Benjamin
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical: Yolanda Adams, Steven Tyler & Joe Perry of Aerosmith, Sara Bareilles, Jonathan Coulton, Alex Ebert of Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, The Flaming Lips, Lady Antebellum, Cyndi Lauper & Rob Hyman, John Legend, Panic! at the Disco, Plain White T’s, They Might Be Giants, T.I., Domani & Lil'C 

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical
Harry Hadden-Paton, My Fair Lady
Joshua Henry, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel
Tony Shalhoub, The Band’s Visit
Ethan Slater, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical
Lauren Ambrose, My Fair Lady
Hailey Kilgore, Once On This Island
LaChanze, Summer: The Donna Summer Musical
Katrina Lenk, The Band’s Visit
Taylor Louderman, Mean Girls
Jessie Mueller, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical
Norbert Leo Butz, My Fair Lady
Alexander Gemignani, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel
Grey Henson, Mean Girls
Gavin Lee, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical
Ari'el Stachel, The Band’s Visit

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical
Ariana DeBose, Summer: The Donna Summer Musical
Renée Fleming, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel
Lindsay Mendez, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel
Ashley Park, Mean Girls
Diana Rigg, My Fair Lady

Best Scenic Design of a Musical
Dane Laffrey, Once On This Island
Scott Pask, The Band’s Visit
Scott Pask, Finn Ross & Adam Young, Mean Girls
Michael Yeargan, My Fair Lady
David Zinn, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical

Best Costume Design of a Musical
Gregg Barnes, Mean Girls
Clint Ramos, Once On This Island
Ann Roth, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel
David Zinn, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical
Catherine Zuber, My Fair Lady

Best Lighting Design of a Musical
Kevin Adams, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical
Jules Fisher + Peggy Eisenhauer, Once On This Island
Donald Holder, My Fair Lady
Brian MacDevitt, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel
Tyler Micoleau, The Band’s Visit

Best Sound Design of a Musical
Kai Harada, The Band’s Visit
Peter Hylenski, Once On This Island
Scott Lehrer, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel
Brian Ronan, Mean Girls
Walter Trarbach and Mike Dobson, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical

Best Direction of a Musical
Michael Arden, Once On This Island
David Cromer, The Band’s Visit
Tina Landau, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical
Casey Nicholaw, Mean Girls
Bartlett Sher, My Fair Lady

Best Choreography
Christopher Gattelli, My Fair Lady
Christopher Gattelli, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical
Steven Hoggett, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One and Two
Casey Nicholaw, Mean Girls
Justin Peck, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel

Best Orchestrations
John Clancy, Mean Girls
Tom Kitt, SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical
AnnMarie Milazzo & Michael Starobin, Once On This Island
Jamshied Sharifi, The Band’s Visit
Jonathan Tunick, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Carousel

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#103Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/4/18 at 11:54am

As much as I love Diana Rigg and this production, her winning would be a serious head scratcher for me. She honestly did not have much to do or do much. The only way I see her winning is if there was a big protest vote against the other four nominees.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#104Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/4/18 at 12:09pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I wouldn't mind seeing Renee Fleming snatch the Tony. Her work over the years in the opera world is just stunning and she really is one of the best voices of all time. I wouldn't mind her winning simply because of who she is. Same for Diana Rigg."

I’ve often found Renee in past performances to suffer from Barbara Streisand syndrome.  Everything was over the top, embellished to within an inch of its death, hammed-up, etc.... but never denied the incredible instrument that she has. However, in a completely misguided revival of Carousel, she was by FAR the best part of the production.  She was the only one who understood the genre and the nuances of Carousel.  I was extremely pleasantly surprised by the performance and would be more than happy to see her nab the award. The category is so up in the air 

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#105Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/4/18 at 12:20pm

I agree musikman. I actually saw an interview with her where she said that she was shocked so many changes were made to the show since it had been around for 70+ years. This made me laugh out loud because she seemed to be the only performance that worked for me in this production. It was because she just trusted the material as it has always been. She found her own moments though and I found her to be very charming and funny onstage. Honestly, I thought she was the only one that made it out unscathed.

I'd rather see her win over Lindsay who played Adelaide playing Carrie.

Updated On: 6/4/18 at 12:20 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#106Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 10:06am

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leeseymour/2018/06/04/2018-tony-award-predictions-harry-potter-spongebob-and-more/&refURL=&referrer=

I actually agree with all of these, except for Best Book of a Musical and Best Direction of a Musical (both of which I believe will go to The Band’s Visit).

I’m also still hoping that Harry Hadden-Paton pulls through for a Best Actor win, but it’s looking more and more like Ethan Slater’s these days.

Updated On: 6/5/18 at 10:06 AM

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#107Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 11:06am

BroadwayConcierge said: "https://www.forbes.com/sites/leeseymour/2018/06/04/2018-tony-award-predictions-harry-potter-spongebob-and-more/&refURL=&referrer=

I actually agree with all of these, except for Best Book of a Musical and Best Direction of a Musical (both of which I believe will go to The Band’s Visit).

I’m also still hoping that Harry Hadden-Patonpulls through for a Best Actor win, but it’s looking more and morelike Ethan Slater’s these days.
"

Amazing. I was JUST going to post this article, with almost precisely the same comments. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#108Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 12:03pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "https://www.forbes.com/sites/leeseymour/2018/06/04/2018-tony-award-predictions-harry-potter-spongebob-and-more/&refURL=&referrer=

I’m also still hoping that Harry Hadden-Patonpulls through for a Best Actor win, but it’s looking more and morelike Ethan Slater’s these days.
"

Agree with all of this. I'd also like to throw in there that, as much as I like NLB, I'd really love to see Ari'el Stachel pull off an upset.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#109Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 12:55pm

I will be so disappointed if Norbert Leo Butz wins again. He's the least deserving of the five nominees.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

JBC3
#110Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 1:24pm

The Guardian Will Win/Should Win

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2018/jun/05/tony-awards-2018-predictions-winners-losers-nominations

TexanAddams18
#111Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 2:10pm

bwayrose7 said: "BroadwayConcierge said: "https://www.forbes.com/sites/leeseymour/2018/06/04/2018-tony-award-predictions-harry-potter-spongebob-and-more/&refURL=&referrer=

"

Agree with all of this. I'd also like to throw in there that, as much as I like NLB, I'd really love to see Ari'el Stachel pull off an upset.
"

Am I the only one who would rather see Grey Henson pull the upset rather than Stachel?

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#112Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 2:34pm

TexanAddams18 said: "Am I the only one who would rather see Grey Henson pull the upset rather than Stachel?"

I'd love to see Henson or Lee win.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#113Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 2:37pm

I’m still thinking this is a Butz win, but if I had to “vote” for an upset, it’d be for Stachel for sure.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#114Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 3:09pm

Eliza2 said: "TexanAddams18 said: "Am I the only one who would rather see Grey Henson pull the upset rather than Stachel?"

I'd love to see Henson or Lee win.
"

Agreed.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#115Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 3:15pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I’m still thinking this is a Butz win, but if I had to “vote” for an upset, it’d be for Stachel for sure."

Butz if not Stachel

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Wayman_Wong
#116Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 3:23pm

In the Forbes piece, I'm surprised no one's commented (so far) on Lee Seymour's assessment of Best Actor in a Play:

''This is essentially a lock, but honestly, it confounds me, as it does a number of voters with whom I've spoken. Angels is perhaps the best, most important play about gay life in America, and it's now anchored by a straight British man. Much ink has been spilled about the inappropriateness of white actors playing seminal parts written for other races. Why are people so unfazed by Garfield in gayface?''

Updated On: 6/5/18 at 03:23 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#117Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 3:25pm

Wayman_Wong said: "In the Forbes piece, I'm surprised no one's commented (so far) on Lee Seymour's assessment of Best Actor in a Play: ''Angels is perhaps the best, most important play about gay life in America, and it's now anchored by a straight British man. Much ink has been spilled about the inappropriateness of white actors playing seminal parts written for other races. Why are people so unfazed by Garfield in gayface?''"

Gayface?! I thought Garfield is Gay?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

benwilsonn.xo
#118Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 3:50pm

If I was voting, I’d 100% vote for Hailey Kilgore for Best Actress in a Musical.

RaisedOnMusicals
#119Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 3:58pm

Wayman_Wong said: "In the Forbes piece, I'm surprised no one's commented (so far) on Lee Seymour's assessment of Best Actor in a Play:

''This is essentially a lock, but honestly, it confounds me, as it does a number of voters with whom I've spoken. Angels is perhaps the best, most important play about gay life in America, and it's now anchored by a straight British man. Much ink has been spilled about the inappropriateness of white actors playing seminal parts written for other races. Why are people so unfazed by Garfield in gayface?''
"

Seriously? I mean SERIOUSLY??? Is it your position that you need to check on an actor's sexual orientation before casting him or her in a role in which such orientation matters? So, for example, you wouldn't cast a lesbian in any role involving a romantic relationship with a man? What the hell is "gayface"? I'd assume it's a reference to blackface where white actors were cast to play stereotypical "Negroes" in minstrel shows. An attempt to equate "gayface", whatever that is, with blackface is not apt in any way, shape or form.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#120Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 4:17pm

Seriously? I mean SERIOUSLY??? Is it your position that you need to check on an actor's sexual orientation before casting him or her in a role in which such orientation matters? So, for example, you wouldn't cast a lesbian in any role involving a romantic relationship with a man? What the hell is "gayface"?I'd assumeit's a reference to blackface where white actors were cast to play stereotypical "Negroes" in minstrel shows. An attempt to equate "gayface", whatever that is, with blackface is not apt in any way, shape or form."

I have seen the three major New York Priors (Spinella, Borle and Garfield) as well as the film Prior (Kirk).  All of them are talented actors.  But there's Spinella...and then there's the rest.  And the one thing in common with 'and the rest' is the fact that all are straight-identifying.  The defining characteristic of Prior is not that he's gay...and not even that he has AIDS.  It's that he's a FAG...and great, big, nelly homo.  A massive queen...and all that entails for the time period of the play.  Only Spinella understood this at his core.  'And the rest' just aped physical characteristics of the queen.  Only Spinella understood the rage and the fire and the lack of sentimentality at the core of Prior.  Only Spinella understood that Prior NEVER stops moving in Perestroika.  Only Spinella could actually read a bitch for filth.  Gayface isn't an actor taking on a gay role.  Gayface is straight actors taking on stereotypical gay qualities for a role.  Now...I don't agree that straight actors should be kept from doing that.  But in this very particular case, only Spinella played the fierce, brutal, smart and unbeatable queen that Kushner wrote.  Only Spinella became Prior.  I don't think I can impress on those who didn't get to see Spinella strongly enough how essential his performance was to making the original Angels what it was...and how none of the other major Priors I've seen have come close.  

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#121Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 4:19pm

^

THIS!!!!!!!!!

RaisedOnMusicals
#122Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 4:25pm

@SonOfRobbieJ

Thanks for your cogent explanation. I still don’t equate blackface with greyface but at least now I understand the term more clearly. 

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#123Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 4:33pm

GeorgeandDot said: "I agree musikman. I actually saw an interview with her where she said that she was shocked so many changes were made to the show since it had been around for 70+ years. This made me laugh out loud because she seemed to be the only performance that worked for me in this production. It was because she just trusted the material as it has always been. She found her own moments though and I found her to be very charming and funny onstage. Honestly, I thought she was the only one that made it out unscathed.

I'd rather see her win over Lindsay who played Adelaide playing Carrie.
"

I agree with this entirely. For me, Renée was the only reason I saw this production (though I admit I enjoyed the whole experience more than many on the boards), and she far exceeded my expectations. There were genuine layers to her performance that were lacking for so much of the cast, so much so that I honestly wonder if Jack O'Brien just let her play Nettie as she chose rather than whatever he did to everyone else's portrayals/direction.

I'm really rooting for her this Sunday, even if I think a win is probably a longshot. Her performance redeemed an otherwise mediocre production, and she breathed some new life into one of the most beautiful R&H canon roles.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#124Tony Awards 2018 Winner Predictions Thread
Posted: 6/5/18 at 4:41pm

Thanks!  I would never equate them either!  Plus, the term I've heard used is 'Pinkface' as 'gay face' is actually its own thing...walk around Hell's Kitchen for 10 minutes during prime Happy Hours and you'll know exactly what I mean.  

When I moved to the city from college (mid 90s), there was a huge stigma regarding out gay actors.  I made a choice to be out at the beginning of my career...it probably hurt (but I self-sabotage more than anything, so I can't say for sure).  But I was desperate to not be typecast...I wanted the world to know I could 'play straight.'  As a middle aged man who is of the generation that didn't have the mentors to show us what gay life was, I've come to believe that it is essential that we get to tell our own stories...that we get to play our roles.  I've stepped back from pursuing acting the traditional route and have started to produce content expressly exploring the lives of mid-40s gay men...mostly because when I was 22 years old, I thought I was middle aged.  I didn't think I'd get to my 40s.  This may sound like a tangent, but it's directly related to how ANGELS shaped me as an artist and how it has continued to shape me.  Seeing Spinella play the sissy and be the hero was unbelievably profound.  The fact that I haven't seen a queeny gay man play irks me.