pixeltracker

Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!

Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!

natashalost
#1Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 4:47pm

I haven't seen anyone post this yet, so tell me if someone already has!

Article: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Lea-Salonga-to-Play-Final-Performance-in-ONCE-ON-THIS-ISLAND-on-June-24-Darlesia-Cearcy-to-Take-Over-Erzulie-20180508

"The producers of Broadway's Once On This Island announced today that Lea Salonga will play her final performance in the show on June 24. Current cast member Darlesia Cearcy will take over the role of Erzulie on June 25." 

Sad to hear Lea is leaving but Darlesia is a brilliant Erzulie who is very different from Lea but does the role just as well.

AllThatJazz2
#2Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 4:48pm

I was going to see OOTI partly because Lea was in it - thankfully it now turns out I have a seat to her last performance. Phew!

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#3Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 5:18pm

I thought she was a great Erzulie, and I've always been a fan... but I remember reading an interview back in December that rubbed me the wrong way, and I was just reminded of it now. (https://www.broadway.com/buzz/190769/lea-salonga-on-returning-to-broadway-in-once-on-this-island-fan-interaction-etiquette-more/

"“My husband asked, ‘Would the show be eligible for Tonys? Would you be eligible?’ I said, ‘Yeah, because it’s a Broadway revival.’ He said, ‘All right. Then you can go.’ If the hubby gives me a thumbs up, then it’s a good thing. He’s thoughtful. He’s not impulsive. It’s a decision that all of us as a family needs to make.”"

Does anyone know if she was kidding? I mean... surely whether or not you have the potential to win a Tony is not an actual reason to do a show. I thought that she must have been joking around in that statement, but this post-nominations announcement now has me wondering... 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#4Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 6:33pm

Well, this sucks. I have plans to see it on the 25th. I had plans originally to see it on what turns out to be her last day (24th), but I bumped it to Monday (25th) in order to squeeze in Iceman (ticket already bought) for Sunday matinee.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#5Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 6:38pm

Miles, is your Sunday evening free? Once on This a Island does Sunday evening shows and that’ll be Lea’s last.

dontpugme
#6Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 6:56pm

JudyDenmark said: "Does anyone know if she was kidding? I mean... surely whether or not you have the potential to win a Tony is not an actual reason to do a show. I thought that she must have been joking aroundin that statement, but this post-nominations announcement now has me wondering..."

I think she started telling people she was planning to leave sometime in June back in December or January. A few months ago, she announced a big anniversary concert in Manila later this year. I don't know how long the rehearsal period is for Hollywood Bowl productions, but Annie is the end of July.

I do think it's interesting that even with Allegiance, which she had been very attached to for so many years, I think she had only planned to stay until June if it ran that long. They announced that she would be doing Fun Home in Manila like a week after Allegiance's opening night. The Philippine school year happens to start in June and she would rather be with her family? ¯\_(?)_/¯

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#7Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 7:09pm

LesWickedly said: "Miles, is your Sunday evening free? Once on This a Island does Sunday evening shows and that’ll be Lea’s last."

I’m honestly torn. I planned on seeing Spongebob Sunday night. I don’t really want to give it up (I know, I know, I can’t believe I’m typing that either). The only show I would consider giving up is Carousel (which has received polarized reactions) which has been on and off my list and is now scheduled for Saturday afternoon. No ticket bought for either show. So could axe Carousel, move the Sponge to Saturday matinee and see OOTI Sunday night. I had planned to go to TKTS for all these shows. Anyone think her final performance will sell out?

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#8Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 7:16pm

Honestly if it messes with your schedule a lot, just stick with Monday night. Lea was fine, but unless you're a huge fan of hers, you aren't missing much. 

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#9Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 7:24pm

I just have to add that I have seen Darlesia twice as Erzulie (and once as Mama Euralie) and I thought back in December.."I truly hope she is the one to replace Lea when she leaves." I am so excited for her. Her interpretation of the character is very different and was nice to see 2 completely different versions. Lea is wonderful, but what a brilliant replacement they have selected!  

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#10Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 7:36pm

LesWickedly said: "Honestly if it messes with your schedule a lot, just stick with Monday night. Lea was fine, but unless you're a huge fan of hers, you aren't missing much."

Thanks. I think I’ll wait til I am in NYC to decide. I admire Lea, but I wouldn’t say I’m a fanboy. This would’ve been my first time to see her live. 

Currently , I have a very aggressive (a friend’s description after I sent him my list) list:

- [x] Skintight (starts previews 5/31) (Closing 8/26) (P) Tuesday 7:30 p.m.  (purchased)
- [ ] Angels in America (closes 7/1) (P) 1 p.m. & 7:00 p.m. Wednesday 
- [x] Three Tall Women (closes 6/24) (P) Thursday 7:00 p.m. (purchased)
- [x] My Fair Lady (M) Friday 8:00 p.m. (purchased) 
- [ ] Carousel (M) 2 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. Saturday 
- [x] The Boys in the Band (previews start 4/30) (Closes 8/11) (P) 2 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. Saturday (purchased) 
- [x] The Iceman Cometh (P) Sunday matinee 2:00 p.m. (purchased)
- [ ] Spongebob Squarepants (M) 6:30 Sunday
- [ ] Once on This Island (M) 8:00 Monday 

Part of me thinks I’d like that last Monday free to have a relaxing last dinner that night before I fly home on Tuesday, In that case, I’ll cut Carousel and shift Spongebob and OOTI accordingly. 

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#11Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:25pm

Great weekend! I'm so happy you're seeing "Angels in America" during your trip! I urge you to see OOTI, even without Lea. It's a glorious show that won't be back for a long time, and certainly not this production.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#12Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:37pm

Would recommend OOTI as well as it is a production you won't see elsewhere and it's a fun production - the story itself is eh, but I had a blast. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#13Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 11:12pm

I’m definitely seeing OOTI. My only decision is whether to cut Carousel from my schedule so I can see OOTI with Lea. It sounds like most feel it’s more important to see OOTI rather than seeing her in this. It would be nice to be able to say I’ve seen her finally though. I have until toward the end of my June 19-26 trip to decide. Thanks for all the info and support in helping me decide. Anyone think that if the Tonys don’t give them a boost, they’ll just choose to close with Lea’s final performance? If they announce that, I’ll cut Carousel from my schedule automatically so I can see OOTI.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#14Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 11:18pm

Part of me thinks I’d like that last Monday free to have a relaxing last dinner that night before I fly home on Tuesday, In that case, I’ll cut Carousel and shift Spongebob and OOTI accordingly."

Keep your aggressive schedule intact.  You can have a relaxing dinner when you get home!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 11:32pm

Yeah, as a musical theater kid it was kinda cool to see her live and doing her thing, but this isn't a crazy role for her. She's great in the show, but up to you for sure. 

And Judy, to your question, I don't think that's bad at all? I mean, for her to leave her family for 9 months her husband was just making sure it was worth her while. And it sounds like they both decided it was. I don't see any harm in that. Sure, it seems silly that an actor would do a show to garner an award, but it's a nice prize for all the work you put into it. It's like when Arden tweeted something about how mad he was that Hunchback wasn't going to Broadway and people blew up at him about it. I can see their sides of it.

frapp2latte
#16Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/8/18 at 11:35pm

JudyDenmark said: 
"Does anyone know if she was kidding? I mean... surely whether or not you have the potential to win a Tony is not an actual reason to do a show. I thought that she must have been joking aroundin that statement, but this post-nominations announcement now has me wondering..."

She probably meant it as a joke. I think @dontpugme is right. She's trying to minimize the time she spends away from her country to make time for her family and other local projects. 

@Miles2Go2  

While Lea's role as Erzulie is fairly minimal, I would try to make it for her final performance if I was in your place. Final performances are likely to be pretty special, I guess. And at least you can say you've finally seen her. Maybe she'll spend a longer time chatting with the audience before the show starts. 

But even if you don't make it before Sunday, OOTI is still a must see. The whole ensemble is great! We really enjoyed the whole experience.  

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#17Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/9/18 at 7:37am

The length of her run isn't that different from Chenoweth's as Glinda. Or Groban's in "Comet." By any standards, it's respectable commitment, especially for such a relatively small role. We could use more stars willing to do six months.  Didn't Peters serve approximately that long as The Witch*? It's a good thing.

*Sept 29 - March 27. 6 months.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 5/9/18 at 07:37 AM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#18Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/9/18 at 7:43am

Another woman who was snubbed from a Tony nomination. She was so beautiful and elegant

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#19Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/9/18 at 7:47am

Miles2Go2 said: "LesWickedly said: "Honestly if it messes with your schedule a lot, just stick with Monday night. Lea was fine, but unless you're a huge fan of hers, you aren't missing much."

Thanks. I think I’ll wait til I am in NYC to decide. I admire Lea, but I wouldn’t say I’m a fanboy.This would’ve been my first time to see her live.

Currently , I have a very aggressive (a friend’s description after I sent him my list) list:

- [x] Skintight (starts previews 5/31) (Closing 8/26) (P) Tuesday 7:30 p.m. (purchased)
- [x] The Boys in the Band (previews start 4/30) (Closes 8/11) (P) 2 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. Saturday (purchased)

Part of me thinks I’d like that last Monday free to have a relaxing last dinner that night before I fly home on Tuesday, In that case, I’ll cut Carousel and shift Spongebob and OOTI accordingly.
"

Miles, SpongeBob has only a 3:00 p.m. show on 6/24, so you might want to move OOTI anyway.

Updated On: 5/9/18 at 07:47 AM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#20Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/9/18 at 7:56am

CT2NYC said: "Miles2Go2 said: "LesWickedly said: "Honestly if it messes with your schedule a lot, just stick with Monday night. Lea was fine, but unless you're a huge fan of hers, you aren't missing much."

Thanks. I think I’ll wait til I am in NYC to decide. I admire Lea, but I wouldn’t say I’m a fanboy.This would’ve been my first time to see her live.

- [x] Skintight (starts previews 5/31) (Closing 8/26) (P) Tuesday 7:30 p.m. (purchased)

"

Miles, SpongeBob has only a 3:00 p.m. show on 6/24, so you might want to move OOTI anyway.
"

Wow, I just checked. You’re right! I was going by the current schedule. Okay, cutting Carousel from schedule. Will aim for OOTI on Sunday night and Spongebob for Saturday matinee. Do you think OOTI will sell out for her final performance? 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#21Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/9/18 at 8:06am

Miles2Go2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Miles2Go2 said: "LesWickedly said: "Honestly if it messes with your schedule a lot, just stick with Monday night. Lea was fine, but unless you're a huge fan of hers, you aren't missing much."

"

"

Wow, I just checked. You’reright! I was going by the current schedule. Okay, cutting Carousel from schedule. Will aim for OOTI on Sunday night and Spongebob for Saturday matinee. Do you think OOTI will sell out for her final performance?
"

I expect it will sell well, once word circulates. As of right now, there's a ton of availability. Also, if you want a great seat with a lot of legroom for SpongeBob, I highly recommend side orchestra seat M 2. It's $99 with discount code BOX on Ticketmaster.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#22Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/9/18 at 4:33pm

Having seen both, I preferred Darlesia. Darlesia's voice has an earthiness and a sensuality that Lea's does not. No disrespect to Lea, I love her. Just think in the conceptualization of the show, Darlesia is a better fit.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

natashalost
#23Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/9/18 at 5:19pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Having seen both, I preferred Darlesia. Darlesia's voice has an earthiness and a sensuality that Lea's does not. No disrespect to Lea, I love her. Just think in the conceptualization of the show, Darlesia is a better fit."

Couldn't agree more! Miles, keep your ticket and enjoy Darlesia! I've already got a ticket for her 2nd performance, and Lea's last.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#24Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 5/9/18 at 9:22pm

Thanks all. I honestly don’t know what I’ll do right now in regards to who I’ll see in OOTI. Carousel is for sure cut from my list now (I’m a little sad because it has been on and off then back on my list but I was looking forward to the singing and dancing) as I for sure want to see Spongebob and OOTI and there’s no way to make all three work as only OOTI has Monday and Sunday night performances and my only shiftable slots are Saturday matinee, Sunday night and Monday night. I’m currently leaning toward seeing OOTI with Lea Sunday night (after Iceman matinee - ticket already bought) and Spongebob Saturday afternoon. This will be free up my last night (Monday) for a nice relaxing meal at one of my favorite restaurants (Buddakan). I haven’t been able to eat there since 2015. I was going to go late after OOTI but now I wouldn’t have to rush through an expensive meal or go when it’s late and I’m very tired. I realized today I have Broadway and NYC FOMO. That's why i always cram too much into my nyc trips. Lol.

Updated On: 5/9/18 at 09:22 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#25Lea Salonga will play final performance in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND on June 24!
Posted: 6/24/18 at 9:40am

I’m seeing Lea’s final performance tonight. It’ll be my first time seeing the show and the last show of my 9 show trip. I know on one of these threads some of us who will be there talked about saying hello tonight. Can’t find that thread now but did hear from one person. Anyway, message me or post here if interested! I plan to get there early to enjoy the pre-show. Anyone know if they open the doors earlier than 30 minutes prior? I’ll have about 90 minutes between end of The Iceman Cometh and beginning of OOTI.

Videos