#50CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 3:18pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "It's on Apple Music! I just downloaded it to my phone."

It is? I searched Carousel and it’s not showing up 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#51CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 3:22pm

Sometimes it helps to search for an artist's name. Try searching for "Lindsay Mendez" or "Jessie Mueller." It should show up.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#52CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 4:01pm

Listening to the samples on iTunes, I find Mendez' singing to be really distracting and not enjoyable to listen to. After hearing so much about Henry's rendition of "Soliloquy", I downloaded the track based on the reception here, and I find it underwhelming. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#53CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 4:08pm

I searched "Carousel Broadway" and then scrolled through the available albums. It appears to be listed as 
"Rogers & Hammerstein's Carousel".

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Gizmo6
#54CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 5:31pm

Listening to it on Appl music only on the overture but I prefer the National theatres version for clarity and drama. 

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#55CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 6:21pm

It's not great.  Like the Hello Dolly! new cast recording, very underwhelming.  They should have done a cast recording when it was put on in 2013 with Kelli and Nathan.  Much better voices, much bigger talent.  

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#56CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 7:35pm

EllieRose2 said: "It's not great. Like the Hello Dolly! new cast recording, very underwhelming. They should have done a cast recording when it was put on in 2013 with Kelli and Nathan. Much better voices, much bigger talent."

Except that the LCT concert had a horrendous Billy.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#57CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 7:39pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Except that the LCT concert had a horrendous Billy."

I'd trade Nathan Gunn for Lindsay Mendez and that accent of hers.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#58CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 7:48pm

I won’t be seeing this in New York after reading all of the negative comments about the production...but, as many people here predicted, and are affirming, it sure does make for a great cast recording! I’m enjoying Tunick’s orchestrations and all of the performances. The recording has “life” to it as does the new “My Fair Lady” recording.

it makes me even angrier that we got such an underwhelming recording of “Hello, Dolly!” last year.

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#59CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 8:15pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Except that the LCT concert had a horrendous Billy."

Yes, international opera singer Nathan Gunn, gorgeous and ungodly talented, was a horrendous Billy.  Nope.  Watch the DVD sometime, his songs will gut you.  He's incredible and his voice is tremendous.  His chemistry with Kelli is something Joshua and Jessie will never, ever have. 

EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#60CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 8:16pm

I'd trade Nathan Gunn for Lindsay Mendez and that accent of hers."

I would trade anyone for him to play any part in this revival.  Literally any part.  

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#61CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/8/18 at 11:13pm

EllieRose2 said: "Yes, international opera singer Nathan Gunn, gorgeous and ungodly talented, was a horrendous Billy. Nope. Watch the DVD sometime, his songs will gut you. He's incredible and his voice is tremendous. His chemistry with Kelli is something Joshua and Jessie will never, ever have."

Gunn has a beautiful voice. That's the only nice thing I can say about his performance. 

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

schubox
#62CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 12:14am

IdinaBellFoster said: "I searched "Carousel Broadway" and then scrolled through the available albums. It appears to be listed as
"Rogers & Hammerstein's Carousel".
"

After searching for Mueller and Mendez and Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Carousel, this is he one that worked. I had to scroll forever to find it. That was way too hard to find 

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#63CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 12:20am

I think people may agree that Gunn was a horrendous Billy overall, but since this all about listening to the music, they may prefer to hear his voice singing these songs even if his rendition may be "devoid of subtext."

Updated On: 6/9/18 at 12:20 AM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#64CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 12:22am

Curiously, no track from this revival appears on the 2018 Tony Awards Season album...just like how nothing from HELLO DOLLY was on the 2017 record. Literally every other new musical production- good, bad, or otherwise- from these past two seasons (excluding WAR PAINT) contributed a track to these compilations.

I could be making an incorrect assumption, but it feels like Mr. Rudin will gladly scarf up Tony Awards, but won't give an inch to the pomp-and-circumstance of the celebration itself. Idk

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

binau Profile Photo
binau
#65CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 3:14am

I haven't seen the production and don't know the show incredibly well, but Lindsay Mendez appears to have a lot of personality and goofyness in her performance - I personally see this as a good thing. At least it's memorable. Jessie Mueller sounds very very nice but is surprisingly reserved/replaceable. 

You'll Never Walk Alone sounds a little self-indulgent to me but again I do appreciate the singer has a lot of personality in her voice and the choices she makes.

Enjoying "Soliloquy", although at times with his southern(/midwestern?) twang and slow speech I can't help but get a vibe of comic Obama impersonator at times (I know that's random).

Overall, it is hard to see how this could be such a fiasco on stage. But I'll take your word for it.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/9/18 at 03:14 AM

Impossible2
#66CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 12:05pm

It is a testament to how awful the show was that I can listen to You'll Never Walk Alone on the soundtrack and my eyes starting welling up within 20 seconds, whereas when viewing the show I felt absolutely nothing.

Updated On: 6/9/18 at 12:05 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#67CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 12:19pm

I just downloaded the recording, and what I've listened to, I actually like. I can't believe they did not record the reprise of If I Loved You from the second act.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

schubox
#68CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 3:35pm

qolbinau said: "I haven't seen the production and don't know the show incredibly well, but Lindsay Mendez appears to have a lot of personality and goofyness in her performance - I personally see this as a good thing. At least it's memorable. Jessie Mueller sounds very verynice but is surprisingly reserved/replaceable.

You'll Never Walk Alone sounds a little self-indulgent to me but again I do appreciate the singer has a lot of personality in her voice and the choices she makes.

Enjoying "Soliloquy", although at times with his southern(/midwestern?) twang and slow speech I can't help but get a vibe of comic Obama impersonator at times (I know that's random).

Overall, it is hard to see how this could be such a fiasco on stage. But I'll take your word for it.
"

I thought Mendez was wonderful and the crowd I saw it with loved her.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#69CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 4:07pm

Her spoken lines are kind of aggressive on the recording, but her singing is gorgeous. I said this after the first preview her "(When I Marry) Mister Snow" managed to banish any memory of Audra, who's rendition is near-definitive to me. I don't remember her oddly broad and intense line readings from the first preview, so they are rather jarring on record. Still, she's my pick to win the Tony tomorrow. She, along with Flemming, were the only exciting things in this otherwise lackluster revival (and I didn't even see the show with the later cuts!).

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#70CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 4:27pm

I actually quite like Mendez's accent. It feels genuine to the character, and to who her Carrie is. Broad, yes, but at least she's making a choice - which is not something I can say about a lot of actors in this cast.

With the case of the bench scene, it almost feels like they just want to get it over with. I don't understand recording as much as they did if they were going to cut so much. As someone else said, the cuts are glaring. I would have rather them just record two stand alone solos for Mueller and Henry. 

Also, and this is a small quibble, but why did they clean up the language? Hammerstein wrote it the way he did for a reason. The way both Billy and Julie speak in this production is too clean, too educated. "The blossoms are just coming down by themselves." is grammatically correct, yes, but hearing Julie always, always say "theirselves" reminded me, as an audience member, that she's a mill worker, and now she's lost her job, and now what is she going to do? Where is she to go? It doesn't make sense to have the lower class accents if they're going to make the language higher class. Did that bother anyone else?

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Sally Durant Plummer
#71CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 4:39pm

Cinders, even more troublesome with the cuts in the Bench scene is I'm not sure if that's how it is being done on stage. With the cuts O'Brien has made since the first preview, I could imagine the intense cuts in dialogue that is currently on display on the "If I Loved You" track. Still, if it was just cuts for the recording, the 1993 National Theatre recording runs 80 minutes. Why would they need to make cuts to fit the (cut) score onto one disc?

Also, is it just an odd mistake that Mendez says "Did you like it when he talked to you that way? When he put you on the carousel today?" Cause that is very weird.

Impossible2
#72CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 4:46pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "Cinders, even more troublesome with the cuts in the Bench scene is I'm not sure if that's how it is being done on stage. With the cuts O'Brien has made since the first preview, I could imagine the intense cuts in dialogue that is currently on display on the "If I Loved You" track. Still, if it was just cuts for the recording, the 1993 National Theatre recording runs 80 minutes. Why would they need to make cuts to fit the (cut) score onto one disc?

Also, is it just an odd mistake that Mendez says "Did you like it when he talked to youthat way? When he put you on the carouseltoday?" Cause that is very weird.
"

A cd only holds 72 minutes of music.

Sally Durant Plummer
#73CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 4:51pm

Odd that this recording runs 73 minutes then.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#74CAROUSEL revival cast album to be released 7/13; tracklisting and cover
Posted: 6/9/18 at 4:55pm

Sally Durant Plummer said: "Also, is it just an odd mistake that Mendez says "Did you like it when he talked to you that way? When he put you on the carousel today?" Cause that is very weird."

I remember her doing that during the first preview, and my thought was, "Oh, man, she messed up but caught herself so well." I suppose they decided to switch them around for...whatever reason. It doesn't scan as well, I'll say that much. Plus, I'll always miss the way Mueller read "Put you on the carousel that way." - almost as if she was fantasizing that Enoch would be that passionate with her. I don't know. I can't feel anything but disappointment after assembling such a good cast and then taking a hacksaw to this show. It's almost like if they cut the title number from the Bette Midler production of "Hello, Dolly!" - what's the point? I miss the full score. I can only really seem to get into the Mendez tracks. And as soon as Mister Snow ends and I hear a rushed Joshua Henry on lackluster orchestrations, I flee to the magic and intimacy of Joanna Riding and Michael Hayden, or to the radio broadcast of Laura Osnes and Steven Pasquale. Nuance matters.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Videos