pixeltracker

Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?- Page 4

Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#75Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 9:35am

Gizmo6 said: "As a theatre academic Ifundamentally disagree with you. It’s the reason Iconsider the West End miles ahead of Broadway because it prides itself in making theatre accessible for all. Which it without a doubt should be."

Broadway theater literally can't be accessible for all. The total capacity of Broadway theaters is a little over 50,000; even if all theaters were occupied at all times, this would be a maximum of about 21 million available tickets per year - substantially less than 1% of the US population. If there are more people than that who want to see a show in a given year, there will be scarcity, regardless of how producers set prices.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#76Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 9:38am

Guess what kids, this entire production was a collaborative undertaking between Rudin and Midler, and it does not have to be one or the other. My guess is that they were on the page regarding the blackout from day one. And re "Maybe a performance of the title number or sunday clothes could have kept it open a bit longer?" you misapprehend the dynamic: They COULD keep it open longer; they don't want to.

JBC3
#77Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 9:41am

20 years from now (and likely much, much, sooner) no one will care.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#78Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 10:01am

Very few people care NOW.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#79Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 10:29am

RicardoMagon said: "If I had to pick a side between Bette didn't want to do it vs Scott rudin didn't want to do it..."

The beauty is... you don't.

Also, when you looked for Bette tickets and they were expensive, that is because if you want to save money, it requires planning. The $39 and $59 tickets for Bette's original run were largely sold out months in advance of her ever taking the stage. If you're on a budget, then you have to buy earlier for a lot of shows.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#80Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 10:58am

kdogg36 said: "Broadway theater literally can't be accessible for all. The total capacity of Broadway theaters is a little over 50,000; even if all theaters were occupied at all times, this would be a maximum of about 21 million available tickets per year - substantially less than 1% of the US population. If there are more people than that who want to see a show in a given year, there will be scarcity, regardless of how producers set prices."

Broadway is accessible for all. But accessibility along with desire and all the costs involved also need to be considered.

Which may explain empty seats and places like TKTS that sell for up to 50% off, etc. the day of the show. Even when a show as big as “Hello, Dolly!” announced it was closing, there were still  plenty of seats available ten days later for the date I was looking at in August, where 3/4 of the balcony and mezzanine were still unsold. Maybe shows like “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” and “Hamilton” will sell out, but others like “Frozen” and “Sponge Bob” might have plenty of open seats. And there’s always the Lottery and Rush.

Ticket prices may be double what I’ve paid for the Broadway National Tours I’ve seen, but if someone’s goal is to see a show on Broadway they’ll try and find a way. I’ve got friends who have 2nd jobs just to achieve a dream. Maybe they put $10 away a payday into their Dream Fund, and in a couple of years they’ll be there in the mezzanine watching that show. Determination can be a powerful thing. 

And you really can’t use statistics that encompass the entire US population. Not everyone in America wants to see these shows, even when they are in NYC. Maybe they have no desire to watch a Broadway show at all. I know as many times as I’ve been to NYC I had zero interest in seeing the shows on Broadway until last year. Heck, I had even stood in Times Square not realizing “Broadway” was literally right there all around me. And most of my friends have never seen a Broadway show, even the Tours, and have zero desire to see them. 

Even if all the factors align and the access, cost, determination, and availability are there, but they can’t get the time off work, take care of a sick parent, find a pet sitter for a finicky animal, or any number of other reasons prevent them from making it to Broadway. So they’ll wait for the tour, like I have. Broadway was accessible, I just couldn’t get there. 

Broadway is there and waiting for everyone. 

Gizmo6
#81Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 12:27pm

What stung at Dolly for me was $45 for the brochure I have beautiful white bound red tasseled phantom ones and a host of others from around the world  that cost around $10 approx which beautiful papers and designs. It was a rip off I had paid and only realized when I got the change. That leaves a bad taste. Did they reduce the price after Bette?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#82Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 12:43pm

Gizmo6 said: "What stung at Dolly for me was $45 for the brochure I have beautiful white bound red tasseled phantom ones and a host of others from around the world that cost around $10 approx which beautiful papers anddesigns. It was a rip off I had paid and only realized when I got the change. That leaves a bad taste. Did they reduce the price after Bette?"

Not sure where you get the $10 from, as most shows charge $20 across the board for them. I think Dolly uses a thicker stock, has more pages, and you're also paying extra for that heart-shaped cutout on the front. 

They never reduced the price, just added an insert about Bernadette to the Bette version of the book. Seems strange to blindly buy something and then think you were overcharged, though.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#83Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 12:45pm

Gizmo6 said: "What stung at Dolly for me was $45 for the brochure I have beautiful white bound red tasseled phantom ones and a host of others from around the world that cost around $10 approx which beautiful papers anddesigns. It was a rip off I had paid and only realized when I got the change. That leaves a bad taste. Did they reduce the price after Bette?"

Someone put a gun to your head and make you buy it?  I love mine.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#84Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 1:03pm

What actually leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the Hello Dolly! run was the rudeness of the Shubert Theater workers during the Bette run. In no other theater have I experienced workers who barked orders to the audience the way this theater's workers did. I understand they were under instructions to keep a tight lid on the entire production (including the red curtain) but there are other shows which are/were hot tickets when I went to them (DEH twice, Three Tall Women) where rules were enforced but without anywhere near the amount of rudeness at the Shubert. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#85Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 1:07pm

Festivus has come early this year...

JSquared2
#86Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 1:29pm

poisonivy2 said: "What actually leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the Hello Dolly! run was the rudeness of the Shubert Theater workers during the Bette run. In no other theater have I experienced workers who barked orders to the audience the way this theater's workers did. I understand they were under instructions to keep a tight lid on the entire production (including the red curtain) but there are other shows which are/were hot tickets when I went to them (DEH twice, Three Tall Women) where rules were enforced but without anywhere near the amount of rudeness at the Shubert."

Care to be a bit more specific?  What kind of "orders" were being barked at you?  

JSquared2
#87Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 1:33pm

I'm confused.  Did you just hand over your credit card and buy a program without asking the price?  If so, would you do that in any other retail establishment?

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#88Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 1:37pm

haterobics said: “Not sure where you get the $10 from, as most shows charge $20 across the board for them. I think Dolly uses a thicker stock, has more pages, and you're also paying extra forthat heart-shaped cutout on the front.”

Product description:

”This stunning 84-page program from the revival of Hello Dolly makes a great gift for any Hello Dolly fan, including yourself! Featuring more than 75 color photos of Tony Award winning actress Bette Midler and the rest of the original Broadway cast, this program includes insightful comments from director Jerry Zaks, Tony Award winning costume designer Santo Loquasto, and many others who helped shaped the smash-hit revival. This heavyweight softcover program features a heart-shaped die-cut cover, and measures 9 x 13 inches.”

I hope they still have them at the Shubert when I get there next week! I’ll certainly be buying one!!!

:)

Updated On: 5/25/18 at 01:37 PM

UncleCharlie
#89Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 1:46pm

poisonivy2 said: "What actually leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the Hello Dolly! run was the rudeness of the Shubert Theater workers during the Bette run. In no other theater have I experienced workers who barked orders to the audience the way this theater's workers did. I understand they were under instructions to keep a tight lid on the entire production (including the red curtain) but there are other shows which are/were hot tickets when I went to them (DEH twice, Three Tall Women) where rules were enforced but without anywhere near the amount of rudeness at the Shubert."

I experienced the exact same thing, having orders barked to me. Of course it was my Yorkshire Terrier telling me it was time for his walk, but still... I feel you.

JBC3
#90Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 1:52pm

80+ posts later, we can say with great certainty that the answer to the question posed at the start of this thread is ....

NO.

Whew!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#91Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 2:16pm

poisonivy2 said: "What actually leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the Hello Dolly! run was the rudeness of the Shubert Theater workers during the Bette run. In no other theater have I experienced workers who barked orders to the audience the way this theater's workers did"

I think they are under more pressure to get everyone seated in time, since they actually enforce the no late seating thing there, unlike other shows that say it, but they still sneak you in after a song or somesuch. I know when I did SRO for I'll Eat You Last, people who were late had to stand against the wall BEHIND SRO for the entire 90 minutes, and they were not happy about it.

So, if they have to choose between being brusk and getting the house all seated, or dealing with the aftermath of a lot of annoyed patrons standing the back for act one.

Gizmo6
#92Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 2:17pm

Sorry I’m European we pay €10/£10 max for Souvenir programme. 

I’m delighted your excited to spend your money on the brochure. 

It’s just my opinion. 

I handed over $50 and got back $5. I expected somewhere around max $25 I didn’t question it usually merchandise is in line across the board, in Europe /West End anyway. 

I have beautiful programs where the design is way more advanced than a cut~out, I know you queens will defend it to the hilt. It’s pretty but it ain’t $45 pretty. 

It’s one thing having a Star and but another then exploiting that. 

I saw Bette, who I adore but frankly she wasn’t cut out for the role, And agree with posters who said that’s why no videos were released, I wish I had seen Murphy. 

RicardoMagon Profile Photo
RicardoMagon
#93Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 2:18pm

45 dollars for that?! Good lord. That's disgusting. 

ABitOnTheSide Profile Photo
ABitOnTheSide
#94Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 2:27pm

Gizmo6 said: "I saw Bette, who I adore but frankly she wasn’t cut out for the role, And agree with posters who said that’s why no videos were released, I wish I had seen Murphy."

Not cut out for the role, huh? That's why she won the Tony and performed to sold out houses for her entire run.

This is DOLLY LEVI, not HEDDA GABBLER.

I really wish people would get over their transparent Bette hate.

UncleCharlie
#95Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 2:34pm

Gizmo6 said: "Sorry I’m European we pay €10/£10 max for Souvenir programme.

It’s just my opinion.

I handed over $50 and got back $5. I expected somewhere around max $25 I didn’t question it usually merchandise is in line across the board, in Europe /West End anyway.

I have beautiful programs where the design is way more advanced than a cut~out, I know you queens will defend it to the hilt. It’s pretty but it ain’t $45 pretty.

It’sone thing having a Star and but another then exploiting that.

I saw Bette, who I adore but frankly she wasn’t cut out for the role, And agree with posters who said that’s why no videos were released, I wish I had seen Murphy.

"

For $45, you learned a valuable life lesson. Find out the price of something before you agree to buy it.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#96Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 2:35pm

Gizmo6 said: "I saw Bette, who I adore but frankly she wasn’t cut out for the role, And agree with posters who said that’s why no videos were released, I wish I had seen Murphy."

Donna was good, but Bette was perfection. Going back two more times in August (one, if she announces a West End run before wrapping up here).

JSquared2
#97Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 2:35pm

Gizmo6 said: "Sorry I’m European we pay €10/£10 max for Souvenir programme.

It’s just my opinion.

And once again, sweetie.  No one put a gun to your head and forced you to buy it. I've never been "delighted" to spend any money on a "brochure" as you call it --- and that's why I've never bought one for any show --- they're a major ripoff.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#98Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 2:36pm

RicardoMagon said: "45 dollars for that?! Good lord. That's disgusting."

I know people that go out and spend more than that for a few drinks and dinner. Per person. At least with the souvenir program I’ll have it until the day I die.

And we each apply meaning to the things we collect, whether it’s to preserve a memory or experience, or to remember our place in the history of the show while it ran on Broadway. I’ve paid way more than $45 for a couple of my cast-signed window cards, whereas some people don’t even glance twice at that table as they rush out the door after the show. To each his own.

I don’t put down anyone’s reason to collect what they love or what they want, as long as it’s legal and doesn’t hurt anyone. 

Updated On: 5/25/18 at 02:36 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#99Anyone know the REAL reason Hello Dolly refused to perform at the TONYS?
Posted: 5/25/18 at 2:39pm

what does the price of a fancy booklet or the rudeness of staff have to do with anything in this thread? And the person kvetching about the price of the book that they were too oblivious to check (nanny anyone?) has to add a dig at Bette not being cut out for the job. Lovely. You don't need to see a Tony performance to know she can't sing the role at some ideal standard. That's not what folks were paying for.