pixeltracker

Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?- Page 2

Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#25Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/19/18 at 7:23pm

theatreguy12 said: "Speaking of A Bronx Tale, it seems thisshow gets verylittle discussion on this board. I may have missed the original threads on its opening and reviews (which is odd since I've been around these boards for a long time, first as a reader only, and then as a contributor), but it seems like this show keeps chugging along, but no one ever seems to talk much about it.

Is it a good show? And if it's a good enough show to keep it on Broadway, why don't people discuss it much? Interesting phenom on this one.
"

I saw it before the Tony noms for that season. It is very much a formula piece with most major plot developments highly predictable even if you haven't seen the movie (which I haven't). The characters are fairly broad. That said, this is definitely one of Menken's better scores in recent years, and the show does manage to create stakes and suspense, especially in Act I. Would I call it a "good" show the way we think of "Cabaret," "Sweeney Todd," or "Caroline or Change" as being "good" shows? No. But did I have a surprisingly great time at the theater with a show that does what it does effectively, understands its identity, and provides entertainment value without much schlockiness? Absolutely. It was also very well-acted and well-sung with a terrific ensemble. Imho, it is definitely worth seeing if you are looking to be entertained. I actually play the score fairly often at work because it gives my mood a lift. If you see it, let us know how you find it!

tomwsjr
#26Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/19/18 at 7:35pm

Currently - Mean Girls & Margaretaville

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#27Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/19/18 at 7:42pm

Book of Mormon

Lion King (the thought of being around all of those rugrats and parents doesn't appeal to me)

Hamilton (over done, over hyped, over everything)

School of Rock (probably too loud...noise sensitive /migraines)

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#28Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/19/18 at 7:45pm

I'm one of those people that wants to see pretty much everything... Even if my reason is just morbid curiosity. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BWAY Baby2
#29Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/19/18 at 7:46pm

Come From Away, The Band's Visit. 

S394206H Profile Photo
S394206H
#30Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/19/18 at 8:31pm

I don’t live anywhere close to NYC, but I got season tickets to one of our local touring venues a few years ago. I had the option to add on Book of Mormon and Phantom for a small fee, but I only did BOM. I’ve really never had any desire to see Phantom live (though, if I can get to the city to see it with Ben Crawford and Jay A. Johnson I just might!)

God, the almighty and all-knowing, has misplaced a cup?

Theatregeek811
#31Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/19/18 at 8:37pm

I can't bring myself to be interested in The Band's Visit, even after it won big at the Tony's. Based on what I've seen and heard, it just doesn't seem like my cup of tea. 

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#32Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/19/18 at 10:11pm

Waitress. Something about it just never grabbed me.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#33Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/19/18 at 10:31pm

No desire to see Kinky Boots, Book of Mormon, Aladdin, School of Rock, Mean Girls.

I don’t often get to revisit many shows as much but there are several that I have enjoyed seeing multiple times including Chicago, The Lion King, Phantom and Fun Home.  

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#34Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/20/18 at 7:15am

Live in the city. Have seen close to 80 shows. I have never seen Phantom.

AllThatJazz2
#35Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/20/18 at 7:57am

Waitress, A Bronx Tale, Mean Girls, and Frozen. Utterly no interest.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#36Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/20/18 at 8:12am

veraclaythorne2 said: "Born and raised in NYC, seeing shows for 30+ years...still have no desire to see Phantom.

Was excited for Book of Mormon when it was first announced, but the cast album did nothing for me, and I still haven't tried to see it.

Took me 13 years to find a reason to see Wicked (Rachel Tucker), so who knows, maybe a cast change will get me to these two shows eventually!
"

If ever there was a particularly good time to see Phantom, it's now, while Ben Crawford is playing the role.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#37Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/20/18 at 8:14am

Hello Dolly

I know it's considered by most to be one of the greatest, but that musical style holds no appeal for me.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#38Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/21/18 at 11:07pm

As a wise woman once said to me, "'Never' is a long, long, LONG time."

To wit, I had no intention of ever seeing PHANTOM, CATS or MAMMA MIA! But eventually the day came when a friend was playing a lead role in a major production of each. So I did my duty.

That leaves WICKED. I love the score and the OBC recording, but NO ONE I know personally has ever told me I must see the show. Everyone I know seems pretty luke-warm about it; most, like the OP's friends, go just because they think they have to have seen it. Even my tween-at-the-time niece said, "I enjoyed it okay. But it's a lot of money for what it is."

Jarethan
#39Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/22/18 at 12:04am

1.  Rent -- just never had any interest in seeing it...I was convinced that I would hate it.  Ironically, I saw the much criticized movie and didn't hate it...didn't love it, but didn't hate it.

2.  Oh, Calcutta!  -- I am not a Japanese tourist

3.  Jekyll and Hyde -- I could never get through the cast recording...every song was one over-the-top crescendo after another

4..Mary Poppins -- Never liked the classic movie; figured why bother

5.  Contact -- I was not in the New York area for quite a while; by the time I returned, I didn't know anyone who had actually liked it

6.  Bring in the Funk -- I did not enjoy any of the many numbers I saw on TV

7.  Putnam County -- HATED the cast recording

8.  Sophisticated Ladies -- I generally don't like revues

9.  Rock of Ages -- UGH!!

10.  The Magic Show

11.  Jersey Boys 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#40Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/22/18 at 12:11am

Currently - Mean Girls.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#41Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/22/18 at 12:11am

Wicked, Come from Away.

greenifyme2
#42Popular shows you haven't seen....by choice?
Posted: 6/22/18 at 12:17am

Elfuhbuh said: "Waitress. Something about it just never grabbed me."

I thought the same thing. Then I had a friend come to town last summer who wanted to see it. I left thinking "that was cute but not anything mind-blowing" but then couldn't get the songs out of my head. Just saw it again with Katherine and it's now one of my favorites. I would encourage you to give it a shot if you can get a cheap rush seat!

Videos