Hmmm

Non sibi sed patriae

robbie_731
#701CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/26/19 at 7:01pm

"Evan Rachel Wood Blasts ‘Cats’ in Expletive-Filled Review":

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/evan-rachel-wood-cats-review-1203452189/

Also, the film was never test screened, according to the director:

"We didn’t really test the film, because without the visual effects it might be quite misleading."- Tom Hooper

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/12/tom-hooper-cats/604147/

Updated On: 12/26/19 at 07:01 PM

bk
#702CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/26/19 at 7:09pm

chernjam said: "robbie_731 said: "James Corden on 'Cats': "I’ve heard it’s terrible”; says he hasn't seen it yet, which means he skipped out after photos for the premiere:

https://www.tmz.com/2019/12/25/james-corden-cats-review-terrible/
"

Not for nothing - that's a ****ty thing for him to say/do. Had it been a huge hit he would've loved basking in all the praise. Suck it up that it was a mis-step that didn't go well. In the arts - it happens. Cats was a juggernaut on stage and obviously not in the movies. Chicago first go round on stage was a flop - revival is still running. It happens...
"

Really?  Chicago's original production was a flop?  It ran fo 936 performances and then toured - hardly a "flop."  

As to Mr. Corden, he doesn't have to "suck it up" because he can say whatever he feels like it.  He was probably joking in the interview, but who cares?  He's being honest - how horrid for someone to be honest about what he's heard.  

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#703CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/26/19 at 8:23pm

My response (Christmas Day 3:30 showing, 2/3 full) is a little different. Other than being put off by the doomed Rockette cockroaches (creepy, unnecessary), I couldn't find much to mock. You can find it uninteresting or lacking a strong narrative, but it's entirely of a piece to me. And the use of Victoria, the only new story conceit other than the overcooked barge subplot, is fine, and in two places, better than fine. 

The movie's strength is its earnest belief in the material itself, and a refusal to apologize for that earnestness. When Hudson enters, the stakes are upped, and she makes a most compelling case for the character as a character.  At first I was thrown by the truly ugly costume they give her -- from behind she looks like a badger.  But it's actually a powerful and poignant look, since she's desexualized more than the stage iteration. She has a true, tragic homeless mien, and it's heartbreaking. Two set pieces are wonderful, one -- Gus -- for simply letting the song/actor work by itself, without adornment; and Skimbleshanks, for being the opposite, so full-out old school movie musical. I'd say, they prove that imagination and restraint were blended here.  But the movie cannot be defended without opening up a bigger discussion about the source. I've known it since I saw the show 6 weeks into its run in London, and cannot watch the film without nostalgia based bias.  Having seen genuine debacles like "Lost Horizon" on the big screen, I wondered why this has created such an overt backlash. Is it the price tag, admittedly a bit of a mystery other than CGI.

It is what it is, and to me, that's what "Cats" is supposed to be.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 12/26/19 at 08:23 PM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#704CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/26/19 at 9:34pm

^^^

Thank u Auggie for a thoughtful and well expressed expression of your experience.

A Director
#705CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/26/19 at 10:51pm

Universal has given up on CATS.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/cats-fyc-page-universal-oscars-1203452245/#article-comments

There will never be a movie version of ALW's Sunset Blvd.

rosheider
#706CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/26/19 at 11:28pm

I'm surprised it wasn't a big hit.  Reportedly, they sent the cast to "cat school".  

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#707CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/26/19 at 11:50pm

The second version of the film is much stronger than the first. They really should have just delayed the release to Christmas day. The "updated graphics" included all new lighting, cats who were just missing in scenes appearing in more crowd shots, a more natural looking transition between the human face and the green screen fur, and no blatantly missing elements of set pieces. Some of the scenes have slightly different edits, as well, to better mask some of the too far gone visual elements that just didn't work. The scale of the cats is still inconsistent, but at least they maintain the correct number of limbs and don't have collars half in and half out of their necks anymore.

A Director
#708CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/26/19 at 11:58pm

trentsketch said: "The second version of the film is much stronger than the first. They really should have just delayed the release to Christmas day. The "updated graphics" included all new lighting, cats who were just missing in scenes appearing in more crowd shots, a more natural looking transition between the human face and the green screen fur, and no blatantly missing elements of set pieces. Some of the scenes have slightly different edits, as well, to better mask some of the too far gone visual elements that just didn't work. The scale of the cats is still inconsistent, but at least they maintain the correct number of limbs and don't have collars half in and half out of their necks anymore."

Now the movie looks "better," but it's still a FLOP!

clever2 Profile Photo
clever2
#709CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 12:41am

They talk about woke culture, cancel culture, #metoo culture, the list goes on and on.

It’s interesting how no one has addressed hate culture.

The term “hate watching” has been around for years. Maybe I’m naive, but it seems like there’s more hate to go around than ever now.

This actress who, let’s be real, no one on this board cared about until she slammed this movie can access the filmed show anytime she likes and watch the stage play’s choreography to her privileged heart’s content.

The film’s choreography was breathless and gorgeous. I didn’t go to this wanting or needing a copy of what’s been done for decades. That was the major fault of the Phantom film. It tried to honor the show so desperately, there was no point. Tom Hooper gave us a new vision of a classic show. Not a rehash of what’s been done again and again.

I don’t know who here has actually seen the film or not, but the next time any of you takes the kind of risk Tom Hooper made with the nearly impossible feat of translating CATS from stage to screen, I hope people are significantly more respectful of your courage and your accomplishment than you have been on this ridiculous thread.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#710CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 12:56am

clever2 said: "They talk about woke culture, cancel culture, #metoo culture, the list goes on and on.

The term “hate watching” has been around for years. Maybe I’m naive, but it seems like there’s more hate to go around than ever now.

This actress who, let’s be real, no one on this board cared about until she slammed this movie can access the filmed show anytime she likes and watch the stage play’s choreography to her privileged heart’s content.

The film’s choreography was breathless and gorgeous. I didn’t go to this wanting or needing a copy of what’s been done for decades. That was the major fault of the Phantom film. It tried to honor the show so desperately, there was no point. Tom Hooper gave us a new vision of a classic show. Not a rehash of what’s been done again and again.

I don’t know who here has actually seen the film or not, but the next time any of you takes the kind of risk Tom Hooper made with the nearly impossible feat of translating CATS from stage to screen, I hope people are significantly more respectful of your courage and your accomplishment than you have been on this ridiculous thread.
"

I saw the film, I also saw the original Broadway production. "Cats" is actually a favorite show of mine - - - I was truly rooting for it but after that first trailer over the summer dropped I was more than a bit taken aback. I then decided to suspend all judgement until I saw the finished product.

Well, I saw the finished product and speaking as a true lover of theater, especially musical theater this film was an utterly huge letdown in every single sense of the word ...TO ME.

I don't need anyone to agree or disagree with my opinion of which I have every right to have just like you have every right to have yours. If you loved it, good for you. But you can't deny the fact that not only did this film get unanimously terrible reviews, but that it has completely tanked at the box office and its own studio has completely lost faith in it. 

Hooper made a :courageous" (your word, not mine) attempt to translate this show to the screen...he failed. It is what it is...

Updated On: 12/27/19 at 12:56 AM

clever2 Profile Photo
clever2
#711CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:01am

The true strength of film is not box office. It’s longevity. Only time will tell.

CLUE received the exact same response from critics and lousy box office. It is now one of the most beloved films of several generations.

Time will tell.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#712CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:04am

clever2 said: "They talk about woke culture, cancel culture, #metoo culture, the list goes on and on.

"

Clever2--Astonishing response to all the catty remarks that have gone before.

Whatever age you are Clever2 that was the most insightful collection of words in defence of the nearly impossible.

I have been too ill to see this but please no comments like 'this won't help my recovery' as a death is also involved.

I look forward to moments of pleasure when I see Cats and anything else will be a blessing.

Perhaps a little more love now might flow in the direction of West Side Story--let's try the positive route.

Merry Christmas to all and honour your 2020 resolutions. Mine is to say NO[thanks] when someone asks me to go somewhere or to something that I don't wish to go.

SweetLips22..x

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#713CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:06am

clever2 said: "The true strength of film is not box office. It’s longevity. Only time will tell.

CLUE received the exact same response from critics and lousy box office. It is now one of the most beloved films of several generations.

Time will tell.
"

You're seriously comparing Clue to Cats?!?!? LMAO!!

"Clue" is another film I saw in the theaters and yes, it has gained a cult status but calling it one of the most beloved films of several generations is a total exaggeration. 

You can stop now. 

clever2 Profile Photo
clever2
#714CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:08am

CarlosAlberto said: "clever2 said: "The true strength of film is not box office. It’s longevity. Only time will tell.

Time will tell.
"

"Clue" is another film I saw in the theaters and yes, it has gained a cult status but calling it one of the most beloved films of several generations is a total exaggeration.

You can stop now.
"

And people like you continue to prove me right again and again. Thank you for participating.

clever2 Profile Photo
clever2
#715CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 1:19am

SweetLips22 said: "I have been too ill to see this but please no comments like 'this won't help my recovery' as a death is also involved.

I look forward to moments of pleasure when I see Cats and anything else will be a blessing.
"

Please feel better. heart

sherie_worshipper Profile Photo
sherie_worshipper
#716CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 3:59am

Looks like Evan Rachel Wood is still bitter over the fact that Tom Hooper decided not to cast her as Eponine in Les Mis. She also went on a twitter rant about that movie in 2012. Yes, I remember. She’s a piece of work.

bk
#717CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 4:43am

clever2 said: "CarlosAlberto said: "clever2 said: "The true strength of film is not box office. It’s longevity. Only time will tell.

Time will tell.
"

You can stop now.
"

And people like you continueto prove me right again and again.Thank you for participating.
"

I'll ask the same question someone else asked: What age are you?  Because your posts would lead me to believe perhaps 12 years old.  Love the film all you want - some will because that happens with every piece of turd film in history, INCLUDING Clue.  That film is beloved only by people who saw it when they were young and because 80s nostalgia knows no limits in terms of people liking anything they saw back then including The Goonies.  Clue has a small cult - so what?  But thanks for participating.  For someone who goes on and on about "haters" you seem to fit that bill right here, no?

sherie_worshipper Profile Photo
sherie_worshipper
#718CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 5:09am

Clever2, I don’t care if you’re 12 or 99. You are the best.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#719CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 6:08am

A Director said: "Universal has given up on CATS.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/cats-fyc-page-universal-oscars-1203452245/#article-comments

There will never be a movie version of ALW's Sunset Blvd.
"

Fortunately there already is a film version of that story. Some of us think it is quite good.

Gorlois Profile Photo
Gorlois
#720CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 6:18am

A Director said: "There will never be a movie version of ALW's Sunset Blvd."

I think this will be the saddest legacy of Cats. The movie version of “Sunset Boulevard” was already unlikely after Glenn Close failed to win the Oscar this year but after Cats became a public laughing stock and now the miserable box office returns, we will probably not see an adaptation of “Sunset Boulevard” very soon, if ever.

Also, we shouldn’t try to police people’s responses to the film. Love it sincerely, love it ironically, hate it with the intensity of a thousand suns, whatever. I think the film is a disaster, but rather a piece of art garner such divided reactions than languish in ambivalence.

clever2 Profile Photo
clever2
#721CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 7:06am

bk said: "'ll ask the same question someone else asked: What age are you? Because your posts would lead me to believe perhaps 12 years old. Love the film all you want - some will because that happens with every piece of turd film in history, INCLUDING Clue. That film is beloved only by people who saw it when they were young and because 80s nostalgia knows no limits in terms of people liking anything they saw back then including The Goonies. Clue has a small cult - so what? But thanks for participating. For someone who goes on and on about "haters" you seem to fit that bill right here, no?"

No.

So much vitriol. 

How old do I look in my picture?

clever2 Profile Photo
clever2
#722CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 7:08am

sherie_worshipper said: "Clever2, I don’t care if you’re 12 or 99. You are the best."

Aww thank you. You’re not so bad yourself. 

clever2 Profile Photo
clever2
#723CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 7:13am

Gorlois said: "A Director said: "There will never be a movie version of ALW's Sunset Blvd."

I think this will be the saddest legacy of Cats. The movie version of “Sunset Boulevard”was already unlikely after Glenn Close failed to win the Oscar this year but after Cats became a public laughing stock and now the miserable box office returns, we will probably not see an adaptation of “Sunset Boulevard” very soon, if ever.

Also, we shouldn’t try to police people’s responses to the film. Love it sincerely, love it ironically, hate it with the intensity of a thousand suns, whatever.I think the film is a disaster, but rather a piece of art garner such divided reactions than languish in ambivalence.
"

It’s the enjoyment of hatred that concerns me. I fear one of these people is going to burst a blood vessel or give themselves a heart attack whenever that enjoyment is challenged. It would be sad to lose an entire community of third graders. 

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#724CATS Film Adaptation Thread
Posted: 12/27/19 at 8:19am

^ You act as if “hate watching” is a brand new thing. Ever heard of Florence Foster Jenkins? People have found enjoyment in bad art for a long time now. You talk about this movie as if it was some small indie film that people just didn’t get instead of the $100 Million big studio production it is. All the people who worked on this movie will be fine. Let people enjoy (or not enjoy) CATS the way they wish and move on.