Company London

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#75Company London
Posted: 10/4/18 at 10:43am

For what it's worth, I think Patti is a major draw but not an irreplaceable one. On this production, at least.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 10/4/18 at 10:43 AM

reginula Profile Photo
reginula
#76Company London
Posted: 10/4/18 at 3:24pm

For what it's worth, the official Instagram account of the show is still posting a lot of pictures of the production and all of them are gorgeous. 

Company London

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#77Company London
Posted: 10/4/18 at 6:40pm

GavestonPS said: "What non-singer (male) has played Bobby? His original five songs were difficult enough (okay, maybe not "Barcelona"Company London and now most productions add "Being Alive, Part A" to close the first act.

I'm not saying only Josh Groban can play the part, but I've seen a dozen or more productions since 1970 and all the Bobbys could at least sing well enough.
"

Sing “well enough” being my point. It’s not a part that requires Pavoratti when George Chakiris, Adrian Lester, Boyd Gaines, and Neil Patrick Harris have led major productions of it. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

DCS
#78Company London
Posted: 10/4/18 at 7:26pm

adamgreer said: "I have no interest in seeing a milquetoast, generic, performer like Sutton tackle this role. Laura Benanti is a far more interesting choice. However, if there truly is a "name" attached, I'm going to assume that name is outside of the Broadway community. Neither Foster nor Benanti qualify as names.

But if Rosalie Craig gets rave reviews I don't see them dropping her. And I don't see this transferring without LuPone, either.
"

Sutton Foster stars in the very successful TV Land scripted series "Younger" which just concluded it's 5th season and will be returning in 2019 for a 6th season.  It averages a weekly audience of around 670,000 viewers which is very good in these days of so many channels and so many programs.  The show has a very desirable young female audience, which are also prime targets for theatre producers.  So, to say Foster isn't a name outside the Broadway community is simply not true.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#79Company London
Posted: 10/5/18 at 3:29pm

Tourist...'Oh look Honey, Patty Le pu..something, yes you DO know her you saw her in that lipstick show but you slept through most of it...anyway, she's now in something called Company?, whatever that means. It's supposedly by that man that writes musicals that no one can understand, so what do you think? Honey, are you listening? we have to decide today and No, Dolly  has finished. Think we'll just go to Lion King again cos at least we can finish our burgers and txt the kids while all those fake animals stop the ushers getting in our face. Honey, why do I always have to make all the decisions around here? and No, I'm Not Nagging ! It's only a fu>>kin' show and if you DO want Company, don't go by yourself ' cause you'll be the only one there !!

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#80Company London
Posted: 10/5/18 at 3:52pm

lotiloti said: "Every time a West End show transfers, you all immediately start recasting with a named star"

Exactly.

There are some here who are so fixated that they would have suggested Laura Benanti and/or Sutton Foster to play Christopher in Curious Incident.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#81Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 3:42am

I’m so glad we got to see Hannah Waddingham transfer and win a Tony for Trevor Nunn’s London production of A Little Night Music.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

brian1973
#82Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 5:17am

ljay889 said: "I honestly think even discussing the possibility of this transferring without LuPone is ridiculous."

Apart from the fact that the strong word of mouth is that Patti isn’t very good in this...

brian1973
#83Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 5:19am

Scripps2 said: "lotiloti said: "Every time a West End show transfers, you all immediately start recasting with a named star"

Exactly.

There are some here who are so fixated that they would have suggested LauraBenanti and/or Sutton Foster to play Christopher in Curious Incident.
"

Its so dull, every time the same names are mentioned..Benanti, Foster or O’Hara. To hell with if they are suitable. I couldn’t imagine anyone more insufferable in this than Sutton Foster. Grinning her way through it, and that feeble voice.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#84Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 5:34am

brian1973 said: Apart from the fact that the strong word of mouth is that Patti isn’t very good in this..."

She's not bad by any means, I actually really liked her monologue before Ladies who Lunch. She's just very Patti.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#85Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 5:45am

Btw here there is a clip of her Ladies who Lunch from the first preview: http://through-my-memoirs.tumblr.com/post/178644532374/patti-lupone-sings-the-ladies-who-lunch-at-the

Updated On: 10/6/18 at 05:45 AM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#86Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 8:54am

I don't get the Patti love. Everybody I know who has seen this has said that she's meh in the show, very same old same old Patti.

She hasn't had a hit in years, she most certainly is not a draw anymore, not enough to keep a show running anyway. Patti bought in to her own hype from years ago and acts like she's something truly magnificent that can't be touched....it's not true at all anymore.

As for the recasting for New York, Foster, O,Hara etc,urgh,every show these names come up.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#87Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 12:01pm

Back to an earlier thread, what's the word on an extension or transfer in London next spring? Going to be in London in late March (seeing the final NT performance of FOLLIES) and still hoping that COMPANY is on...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#88Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 12:56pm

Apparently the lead is already off? Understudy on?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

InTheBathroom1
#89Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 1:23pm

A friend who saw Sondheim in St. Louis while accepting an award said that Sondheim is a big fan of the revival and expects it to go to Broadway.

With Kiss Me, Kate as the sole musical revival this season, this would be a great year for this to come to Broadway.  It would be a lock for the Tony.

I think this could be great at the Hudson after Head Over Heels closes.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#90Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 2:07pm

I only listened to half of Ladies, and the new orchestration is brilliant!

JBC3
#91Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 5:35pm

qolbinau said: "Apparently the lead is already off? Understudy on?"

She has been sick most of the week and it finally caught up with her.

rjm516
#92Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 6:31pm

Just got home from seeing this show tonight, and yes the understudy was on for Rosalie Craig.

Although - I'm not sure she is (or should be) the go-to for Rosalie considering this actor, Jennifer Saayeng, usually plays Jenny. They should have a standby for Bobbie instead - mostly because this performance was not good. I'm sorry, I know that she was probably super nervous because this is week one and she's never gone on and she does deserve kudos for making it through without a mistake, but she was not good. You could tell she never got her breath under control, so her voice would continually break into an almost inaudible head voice (and i was in the third row). She even looked like she knew she wasn't on, and after Being Alive (which was...painful) she looked like she kind of just accepted that she didn't do a great job tonight. But the audience was super supportive and gave her a lot of ovation, which was really sweet and made her feel better. But her acting wasn't good or effective either and just ugh I'm very disappointed to not see Rosalie but also just to not see a strong performer. It didn't feel like a professional production. I'm kind of shocked that they don't have a deeper bench but that's usually the case over here in my experience.

Patti was great, but nothing world changing. I think Barbara Walsh in 2006 was more in tune with the character. Her new book scenes around Ladies Who Lunch are honestly WEIRD. But she could say nonsense with no input and the audience would still scream as loud as possible at her every line, as they did. 

Everything you've heard about Jonathan Bailey is true. His number is the reason to see this show. The staging for that song is amazing, and the staging overall is great (and the choreo).

The best thing about this show is the stage design. It's GORGEOUS and it works incredibly well. Honestly the whole cast was very solid (all the married couples are great) but without a strong lead performance to act as a through-thread, it felt weak. and I don't want to put all that on the understudy; I think a lot of it is direction too (and the pacing felt off A LOT). I'm sure a lot of that is preview kinks to work out (but then they shouldn't already be charging the exorbitant full price for stalls). So overall it is a good production, but not great, and the show feels much less compelling than it has in the past - not just because of the gender switch (I'm still thinking about how I feel about it) but because the whole conceit feels so unrelatable and unimportant. 

Updated On: 10/6/18 at 06:31 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#93Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 7:01pm

Sondheim confirmed he did the revisions to Firth’s book, which is pretty exciting.

Interview is here: http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/legendary-lyricist-sondheim-dismisses-protests-calling-color-conscious-casting-ridiculous#stream/0

Updated On: 10/6/18 at 07:01 PM

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#94Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 8:03pm

Also there this evening, totally concur with rjm516 assessment.

There's no way this production, is just for a short West End run. 

Expect an extension, I would be amazed if it doesn't transfer to NY

InTheBathroom1
#95Company London
Posted: 10/6/18 at 10:48pm

I'm surprised nobody said this, but I think Jessie Mueller would be a fantastic Bobbie and would easily score her another Tony nod and I think would be enough of a draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8HQtx6Vowk

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#96Company London
Posted: 10/7/18 at 12:18am

InTheBathroom1 said: "I'm surprised nobody said this, but I think Jessie Mueller would be a fantastic Bobbie and would easily score her another Tony nod and I think would be enough of a draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8HQtx6Vowk
"

Yeah, Jessie Mueller packed them in at Carousel. 

InTheBathroom1
#97Company London
Posted: 10/7/18 at 9:04am

"Yeah, Jessie Mueller packed them in at Carousel."

Well in a good production of a good show with a good director that already has a good deal of buzz and is less controversial, I think she would be a good choice.  It would also probably be in a smaller theatre for a limited run.  Certainly more of a draw than Rosalie Craig would be in the US.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#98Company London
Posted: 10/7/18 at 12:57pm

brian1973 said: "ljay889 said: "I honestly think even discussing the possibility of this transferring without LuPone is ridiculous."

Apart from the fact that the strong word of mouth is that Patti isn’t very good in this...
"

I saw COMPANY the first Saturday night of previews.  Patti literally stopped the show with "Ladies". The audience that night ate her up, each line reading was perfection. Patti must be in any transfer!!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#99Company London
Posted: 10/7/18 at 1:48pm

The only slightly critical reviews of Patti’s performance I’ve seen are from the few on here, some of who seem to have issues with her in general. Word of mouth on social media and other forums is extremely positive regarding her performance.

Of course, her Joanne is going to have elements of Patti throughout, as Elaine’s performance had so many of her actual personality. Elaine even said once that all great performers with big personalities will always have bits of themselves in each of their performances.

When all is said and done, I think Patti will become the only Joanne considered second best to Stritch.
Debra Monk was a flop, Sheila Gish emulated Stritch too much, and Barbara Walsh was ok but bland. Patti couldn’t be more different than Stritch, and she sings Ladies slightly different than as written, putting her own stamp on it. Also, she has a classy and gorgeous new orchestration in this production.

Updated On: 10/7/18 at 01:48 PM