pixeltracker

Chorus Line @ NY City Center- Page 2

Chorus Line @ NY City Center

R. GreenFinch Profile Photo
R. GreenFinch
#25Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/15/18 at 3:32pm

Okay, we're less than a month out. This seems really weird that we have no info about the cast at all. 

Updated On: 10/15/18 at 03:32 PM

MyLife
#26Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/15/18 at 3:49pm

A Chorus Line 

Starring Julianne Hough and Tony Yazbeck.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#27Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/15/18 at 4:53pm

Agreed, especially since it doesn't look like it's selling. Just really hoping it's not a bunch of recycled vets.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#28Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/15/18 at 5:05pm

It feels like they're trying to drum up any kind of name but to zero avail. 

Broadway World's Fireman.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#29Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/15/18 at 5:07pm

MyLife said: "A Chorus Line
"

Hopefully this is hypothetical?!

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#30Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/15/18 at 5:15pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "I would think they'll discountlater. ACL was only on Broadway 10 years ago, the bridge-and-tunnel folks have had many chances to see it on tour/regionally,andunless they really shock us it'snotgoing to have an interesting cast.
"

It might come as a surprise to you but the bridge and tunnel crowd is allowed to come into Manhattan. So far they haven't stopped us at the border. : )

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#31Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/15/18 at 5:28pm

Huss417 said: "It might come as a surprise to you but the bridge and tunnel crowd is allowed to come into Manhattan. So far they haven't stopped us at the border. : )"

Of course the bridge & tunnel crowd comes into Manhattan, that's how they get their name! What I was trying to get at is: this production at ENCORES might not interest them if they saw the show 10 years ago on Broadway, or 5 years ago at Paper Mill, or 6 months ago on tour in NJ, or 3 months ago at The Gateway, or in any number of recent stock & amateur productions.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#32Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/15/18 at 5:40pm

Plus who's really going to fork over $100+ to see this when they likely just saw a production recently for half that(tour, Papermill, Gateway, etc.)

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#33Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/15/18 at 8:29pm

I personally don't see anything wrong with using veterans of previous ACL productions.  They have the experience, the technique and the knowledge of their specific roles.  It could be a mixture of new persons and veterans for all we know.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#34Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/16/18 at 2:05am

Julianne Hough was supposed to play Cassie, but I've heard she just dropped out and now the producers are scrambling to find a replacement.

Speed
#35Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/16/18 at 2:25am

ACL2006 said: "Agreed, especially since it doesn't look like it's selling. Just really hoping it's not a bunch of recycled vets."

Isn't that what the show is about though?  A bunch of recycled vets?

MyLife
#36Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/16/18 at 8:38am

SomethingPeculiar said: "MyLife said: "A Chorus Line
"

Hopefully this is hypothetical?!
"

Nein, unless what bwayboy22 said is true.They also had a bigger star lined up for Zach who dropped out and that's why it's now Tony.

Updated On: 10/16/18 at 08:38 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#37Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/16/18 at 9:28am

If it was supposed to be Mario Lopez, consider it a good thing.

But my point about using veterans, I really don't want to see Jessica Lee Goldyn as Cassie, Gabrielle Ruiz as Diana, Kevin Curtis as Richie again and half the cast of the last tour in this production.

nasty_khakis
#38Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/16/18 at 10:25am

I know she's not a name, but Scarlet Strallen was a terrific Cassie on the West End. I know she did The New Yorkers at City Center and just did Travesties on Broadway so I'm hoping I get to see her in the role again.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#40Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:13pm

Yay! Max Clayton!!!!

Sondheimite
#41Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:19pm

They're not going to be selling any tickets with that cast, woooof

Catsbroadwayfan
#42Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:19pm

this is a hella boring cast

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#43Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:21pm

A CHORUS LINE is one of my absolutely most favorite musicals. But really. It's time. They need to give this to a different and new team to completely re-imagine.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

GreeneStreet Profile Photo
GreeneStreet
#44Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:26pm

Nothing against any of the performers, but the whole cast is just very Vanilla. No one is going to bring a different performance then what we have already seen been done 1000 times before.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#45Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:30pm

Well, J. Elaine Marcos is playing Val. Thats a different twist. But yes, its essentially a Paper Mill Playhouse produciton at City Center.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Sondheimite
#46Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:41pm

If you don't have anything new to say with your production of A Chorus Line,

stop trying to re-create the steps/staging from a long gone director/choreographer.  

A Chorus Line FEELS like a dead show and it has for a long time because it IS a dead show.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#47Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 12:46pm

It's a very competent cast but not at all exciting.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#48Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:17pm

Sondheimite said: "If you don't have anything new to say with your production of A Chorus Line,

stop trying to re-create the steps/staging from a long gone director/choreographer.

A Chorus Line FEELS like a dead show and it has for a long time because it IS a dead show.
"

From what I hear, the estates involved refuse to let it be altered in any way. I believe there are exciting productions possible but that for as long as it's Baayork Lee recreating the same choreography using the same simple set and same gold costumes at the end, it's simply stuck as a museum piece. It's a shame. I grew up LOVING the cast recording, but when I saw the revival, which I was so, so excited for, it just felt lifeless and bland. I really like a number of these performers, but I just don't know that I care enough to watch a Xerox copy of everything that's come before.

Sondheimite
#49Chorus Line @ NY City Center
Posted: 10/18/18 at 1:23pm

Sauja said: "Sondheimite said: "If you don't have anything new to say with your production of A Chorus Line,

"

From what I hear, the estates involved refuse to let it be altered in any way. I believe there are exciting productions possible but that for as long as it's Baayork Lee recreating the same choreography using the same simple set and same gold costumes at the end, it's simply stuck as a museum piece. It's a shame. I grew up LOVING the cast recording, but when I saw the revival, which I was so, so excited for, it just felt lifeless and bland. I really like a number of these performers, but I just don't know that I care enough to watch a Xerox copy of everything that's come before.
"

That's really sad.

The estate is stopping their show from having a real life.  It's never going to have another successful commercial production until the show can be reimagined.  No one cares anymore to see the same production over and over and over again.  Such a shame.

Then again, we're getting TWO new major West Side Story undertakings in the next few years:  Ivo's Broadway revival and Tony Kushner/Spielberg's movie remake.  And I never thought I'd get to see an exciting re-imagining of that material in my life time.

I hope smarter heads prevail over at the Bennet estate because they're killing the show.