Allegiance DVD

Theatre Fan3
#25Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/19/20 at 2:33pm

Wasn't it originally advertised (way back when) as a blu-ray/dvd release?  Is there seriously not a blu-ray disc included for this price????

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#26Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/19/20 at 2:42pm

No Blu-ray and $170?!!!???!? Can't imagine this selling even 100 units.

Theatre Fan3
#27Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/19/20 at 4:26pm

Just received this response in regards to my inquiry asking if there was a blu-ray disc included ....

" Thanks for your email. We are evaluating a later version that would include more unseen footage, but in so far as quality is concerned, the films were shot at HD and not 4K, so what you get on DVD is already at the best quality we can deliver. We’ll keep everyone posted on future releases, but in the meanwhile, for simplicity and logistics, and to make it accessible to the highest number of people all over the world, we released in region-free DVD only"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#28Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/19/20 at 4:41pm

If this was shown in a cinema then obviously they can do better than a DVD in terms of resolution...I don't believe their response?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#29Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/19/20 at 4:51pm

It's a really nice box, but it has a high price point. I guess maybe because a portion is going to charity. Also, charging $130 for Takei's signature seems a bit steep. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#30Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/19/20 at 5:02pm

Theatre Fan3 said: "Just received this response in regards to my inquiry asking if there was a blu-ray disc included ....

" Thanks for your email. We are evaluating a later version that would include more unseen footage, but in so far as quality is concerned, the films were shot at HD and not 4K, so what you get on DVD is already at the best quality we can deliver. We’ll keep everyone posted on future releases, but in the meanwhile, for simplicity and logistics, and to make it accessible to the highest number of people all over the world, we released in region-free DVD only"
"

It had to be filmed in a higher resolution than DVD can provide (720x480 pixels.) There's even a difference between Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray yet the person who responded seems to believe they are the same thing. Regular Blu-ray is 1920x1080 pixels and a 4K Blu-ray is 3840x2160 pixels. They're not the same.

Updated On: 2/19/20 at 05:02 PM

Ceej
#31Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/19/20 at 5:10pm

qolbinau said: "If this was shown in a cinema then obviously they can do better than a DVD in terms of resolution...I don't believe their response?"

Where I saw it, the overall picture quality wasn't fantastic, so I tend to buy that it was only shot in HD and not 4K or a higher resolution. But what is holding me back (beyond the price) is the terrible audio quality it had at my showing. I've seen other shows in the same auditorium with good audio. If this show has the quality I heard at that showing, no way I'd pay for it.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#32Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/19/20 at 8:03pm

MichelleCraig said: "No Blu-ray and $170?!!!???!? Can't imagine this selling even 100 units."

Would not surprise me if someone makes a copy of this and it makes the rounds in the trader community. They really should reconsider that price point for what is being offered

Darreyl with an L!

Theatre Fan3
#33Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/20/20 at 3:13pm

They fail to mention that on top of the $169.99 is an additional $20.99 for "Standard shipping" (4-6 weeks).

robbie_731
#34Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/21/20 at 10:16am

This release strategy doesn't make any sense. How many of these are they actually gonna sell?

If one of their main goals is education about the Japanese Internment, wouldn't it make the most sense to sell it to BroadwayHD, and then PBS to get the maximum audience seeing it?

Theatre Fan3
#35Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/22/20 at 5:52pm

They are getting plenty of flack over the price on their Facebook page.  Their response to justify the price is  " The costs to create this film were very high up front, so unfortunately in order to even have a chance of recouping this investment we have to mark the price around the cost of a Broadway ticket. The cost of filming, mastering and paying all the actor and creative fees for this film make it necessary initially to sell this limited edition box set for around the price of a Broadway show. It also includes a LOT of expensive items including a hard cover souvenir book of the show. Down the road, we will be offering the DVD for a much lower price point. Thanks for your understanding and patience! "  And their response to why no blu-ray available ... " When we polled our fans, very few people indicated they wanted a Blu-Ray version. We looked into the cost, and unfortunately it would have raised the cost of the entire thing prohibitively. Unfortunately the cost of doing it on Blu-Ray as well was too prohibitive given the number of people who said they wanted the Blu-Ray version. We would not have been able to keep the price under $200. Thanks for your understanding. This box set does include a lot of incredible souvenirs and mementos from the show that are high end and very expensive to manufacture. We hop people enjoy it for generations to come. "  I don't know when they "polled their fans" but I certainly never saw the chance to vote for my preference.  I can't imagine in this day and age that anyone would prefer a dvd over a blu-ray.

Updated On: 2/22/20 at 05:52 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/22/20 at 10:41pm

Really? I dont think I know anyone that buys blu rays/has a blu ray player. I know I dont.

Also: I saw this on a comp and still thought I wanted my money back, so this pricing is simply ludicrous to me!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 2/22/20 at 10:41 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#37Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/22/20 at 10:43pm

I know multitudes of people who collect movies and have just as many blu-rays as I do (hundreds or even thousands).

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#38Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/22/20 at 11:27pm

Here's a link to that FB post.

https://www.facebook.com/allegiancemusical/photos/a.256642177865/10157958740687866/?type=3&theater

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bk
#39Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/23/20 at 1:39am

Shooting in HD should give you Blu-ray quality.  They clearly do not know what they're talking about.  And no, they will not sell more than two hundred units at that price point, and frankly they'll be lucky to sell anywhere near 200.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#40Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/23/20 at 3:08am

Jordan Catalano said: "I know multitudes of people who collect movies and have just as many blu-rays as I do (hundreds or even thousands)."

Oh, no doubt...but the poster above me implied that EVERYONE would want the blu ray.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

UncleCharlie
#41Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/23/20 at 3:18am

This marketing strategy is insane and calling it a strategy is generous. They may think they need to charge this to get their money back but if no one buys it, that's not going to happen anyway, so what's the point? They should have looked at the budget and figured out ahead of time there's no way anyone is going to pay this. And anyone who does when they basically just told you there will be a cheaper DVD coming down the road, is nuts.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#42Allegiance DVD
Posted: 2/23/20 at 4:42am

UncleCharlie said: "This marketing strategy is insane and calling it a strategy is generous. They may think they need to charge this to get their money back but if no one buys it, that's not going to happen anyway, so what's the point? They should have looked at the budget and figured out ahead of time there's no way anyone is going to pay this. And anyone who does when they basically just told you there will be a cheaper DVD coming down the road, is nuts."

There is likely a small number of fans who will pay it, I wouldn’t call them nuts. There are shows I would pay the equivalent of a theatre ticket to own forever preserved on film but Allegiance isn’t one of them. And it would have to be Blu-ray not a DVD.

Theatre Fan3
#43Allegiance DVD
Posted: 4/26/20 at 12:03pm

The boxed set finally arrived.  Haven't had a chance to look at all items included in the set in depth but I did notice, and was rather disappointed, that the dvd's are housed in mere paper sleeves.  I would have thought that for the price they could have at the very least had some sort of a more substantial case to protect them.  Interested in what others thought.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#44Allegiance DVD
Posted: 4/26/20 at 2:09pm

Theatre Fan3 said: "They are getting plenty of flack over the price on their Facebook page. Their response to justify the price is " The costs to create this film were very high up front, so unfortunately in order to even have a chance of recouping this investment we have to mark the price around the cost of a Broadway ticket. The cost of filming, mastering and paying all the actor and creative fees for this film make it necessary initially to sell this limited edition box set for around the price of a Broadway show. It also includes a LOT of expensive items including a hard cover souvenir book of the show. Down the road, we will be offering the DVD for a much lower price point. Thanks for your understanding and patience! " And their response to why no blu-ray available ... " When we polled our fans, very few people indicated they wanted a Blu-Ray version. We looked into the cost, and unfortunately it would have raised the cost of the entire thing prohibitively. Unfortunately the cost of doing it on Blu-Ray as well was too prohibitive given the number of people who said they wanted the Blu-Ray version. We would not have been able to keep the price under $200. Thanks for your understanding. This box set does include a lot of incredible souvenirs and mementos from the show that are high end and very expensive to manufacture. We hop people enjoy it for generations to come. " I don't know when they "polled their fans" but I certainly never saw the chance to vote for my preference. I can't imagine in this day and age that anyone would prefer a dvd over a blu-ray."

Yeah? Well you'd be wrong in that last statement.

Darreyl with an L!

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#45Allegiance DVD
Posted: 4/26/20 at 8:52pm

Oh good god will this show just go away already?

This show would have been a good play.
Instead, it was made into a TERRIBLE musical.
YES, TERRIBLE. For example: the sock hop #.
Oy, it makes my head hurt.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#46Allegiance DVD
Posted: 4/26/20 at 9:04pm

unclevictor said: "Oh good god will this show just go away already?

This show would have been a good play.
Instead, it was made into a TERRIBLE musical.
YES, TERRIBLE. For example: the sock hop #.
Oy, it makes my head hurt.

"

No one is forcing you to watch it or buy the DVD. Don’t make this about you because, well, it really isn’t.

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#47Allegiance DVD
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:25am

It is about ME! Always!!!

Don’t worry, I will not be purchasing the DVD. I unfortunately can remember sitting through it. 😭😭

*shiver*

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#48Allegiance DVD
Posted: 4/27/20 at 12:50am

Theatre Fan3 said: "The boxed set finally arrived. Haven't had a chance to look at all items included in the set in depth but I did notice, and was rather disappointed, that the dvd's are housed in mere paper sleeves. I would have thought that for the price they could have at the very least had some sort of a more substantial case to protect them. Interested in what others thought."

Paper sleeves? That is very cheap considering the inflated price. 

Darreyl with an L!

ditsylife09
#49Allegiance DVD
Posted: 5/8/20 at 3:29pm

Received my box set today. My copy is missing several items. I've emailed customer service. Has anyone else had this happen?