pixeltracker

SIX: THE MUSICAL ON BROADWAY- Page 10

SIX: THE MUSICAL ON BROADWAY

Impossible2
#225Six reviews
Posted: 5/30/19 at 8:32pm

Mister Matt said: "I had a 40-50 year old couple behind me last time I saw it and they were up on their feet dancing and clapping along to the encore

My husband and I are in that range. Are we considered an "older audience"? Be More Chill doesn't appeal to me because I don't think it's a good show. I love all kinds of shows marketed for all kinds of ages. I'm not sure why my age would have so much to do with whether or not a show appeals to me. I really don't think it's the age of the audience that is Be More Chill's undoing. More like the unwise decisions of the producers to throw it on Broadway. It's the new Starmites.
"

Yes I left out the word 'straight' out as that was what I meant as it's pretty obvious the gays are going to like it. I'm 49 and my partner is 59 and we both loved it. I go and see everything and I would certainly see BMC if I was in NYC. But seeing as I refuse to set foot in the country while that douche is in power, I doubt it's in my future x

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#226Six reviews
Posted: 5/30/19 at 9:51pm

Wow...that extention doesnt leave much time for any reworking before the Boston run- but, perhaps that was never the plan.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Impossible2
#227Six reviews
Posted: 5/30/19 at 10:07pm

dramamama611 said: "Wow...that extention doesnt leave much time for any reworking before the Boston run- but, perhaps that was never the plan."

There will be no 're-working', the show is what it is and the creators are happy with it x

Owen22
#228Six reviews
Posted: 5/30/19 at 11:05pm

It's pretty damned terrific. It reminds me of Nunsense and Avenue Q. In that a good portion of the battle was coming up with such an amazing, yet simple concept. But then the rest was carrying it through to its zenith. And these creators do just that! I prefer a musical that aims higher and may fall short, but really these people created a show and followed through with it, like Ave Q, perfectly. If you go in knowing it's not Sondheim, that (in the best way) it's the greatest hen party show ever created, I can't recommend it enough! The girl who will play Evita has the worst song but she obviously has an amazing, amazing voice. And Jessie Mueller's sister Abby plays Jane Seymour! She reminds me a lot of her. The whole cast is flawless.

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#229Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 12:38am

I’m glad they extended as the original run is close to sold out.

Rainah
#230Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 1:42am

File me under "I don't get the appeal".

Watched the performances on youtube (the main song and the anne number about don't lose your head). It's catchy as hell but doesn't offer much beyond that. The lyrics aren't the worst I've heard but nothing to write home about. And the characterization of the wives, far from being an untold story, seems like the same tired stereotypes. I've done some reading on Anne Boleyn, gf has done a lot more and couldn't even finish the song. Even she admitted the tune was great, but we're both really wanting more complexity from the show.

But, clearly, we're in the minority. Glad everyone else is having a blast, even if I don't see it. Just shouting out for any other folks scratching their heads at this one.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#231Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 5:51am

Its fine if you dont think the show is you, but pretty harsh to judge it from one song alone. Esp if your criticism is about depth.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Impossible2
#232Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 7:47am

Rainah said: "File me under "I don't get the appeal".

Watched the performances on youtube (the main song and the anne number about don't lose your head). It's catchy as hell but doesn't offer much beyond that. The lyrics aren't the worst I've heard but nothing to write home about. And the characterization of the wives, far from being an untold story, seems like the same tired stereotypes. I've done some reading on Anne Boleyn, gf has done a lot more and couldn't even finish the song. Even she admitted the tune was great, but we're both really wanting more complexity from the show.

But, clearly, we're in the minority. Glad everyone else is having a blast, even if I don't see it. Just shouting out for any other folks scratching their heads at this one.
"

It’s a pop concert mixed with a stand up comedy routine where the girls play modern day versions of their former selves using modern day slang. It’s not pretending to be Shakespeare or The History of Britain. It knows exactly what it is...maybe you should skip it x

Updated On: 5/31/19 at 07:47 AM

adagio
#233Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 9:02am

Saw this last night, going in knowing the concept but not having listened to any of the music. I had a blast! My boyfriend also enjoyed it, if not quite as much (he has more of a classic R&H musical taste, so no surprise there).

There were only a couple of moments where the pop concert atmosphere from the audience didn't work (most egregiously at the end of Howard's song). I thought the cheers added to the piece otherwise.

I could really see my mother being into this. The audience was a healthy mix of younger folks and the older theater-going population, and both sets seemed to like it.

samtaro111
#234Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 9:06am

Rainah said: "I've done some reading on Anne Boleyn, gf has done a lot more and couldn't even finish the song. Even she admitted the tune was great, but we're both really wanting more complexity from the show."

While the show isn't the most complex, in the actual show the 6 wives acknowledge they are currently being defined by Henry when in reality they were more than one of his wives. 

Wife 6's number "I Don't Need Your Love" has the amazing section of the song where she explains all she did besides being Henry's wife and I wish each wife got a moment like that instead of the hypothetical section of "what ifs" in the last song "Six." 

That being said, I do appreciate the finals scenes where they talk about being defined by Henry.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#235Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 9:14am

Rainah said: "File me under "I don't get the appeal".

"

Well if you saw the show you would know that at the end Catherine Parr calls all the ladies out on perpetuating the stereotypes people have in their minds about the wives, and makes the point that they’re all defined by Henry, even though many of them had some very grand accompaniments of their own. In the end it’s about the wives taking the power back from Henry and proving their more than Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Survived.

Also, in response to Katherine Howard having the weakest song, in context it’s truly heartbreaking. At the end of it the audience didn’t clap, the entire room was stunned into silence. The repetition of the song’s structure serves a purpose and the staging of it is brilliant. 

While the studio album is great and preserves the music, this show is SO MUCH more. If this show has anything going for it (more than being amazing), it’s the element of surprise. Seeing everything IN CONTEXT is pretty mind blowing. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#236Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 9:23am

Before I saw the show in London, I wasn't too turned on by the video clips I saw (especially the mega-mix at the end) but I loved the show when I experienced it live. I still don't think the video clips do a thorough job of selling the appeal of the piece, which is obviously about a lot more than just a girl group doing a concert.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 5/31/19 at 09:23 AM

Shh_413
#237Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 10:39am

With regards to cross-generational appeal, I seem to remember a lot of older theatre-going folk enjoying "Here Lies Love" and it's sort of the same vein, although HLL relies more on a plot and the music is disco.

SporkGoddess
#238Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 12:06pm

I actually think that Catherine Howard's song is the most clever (in addition to just finding it ridiculously catchy). Judging from the YouTube video I'm watching that's reviewing the studio recording, though, it also seems like not everyone's really understanding it beyond a surface level.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

samtaro111
#239Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 12:17pm

SporkGoddess said: "I actually think that Catherine Howard's song is the most clever (in addition to just finding it ridiculously catchy). Judging from the YouTube video I'm watching that's reviewing the studio recording, though, it also seems like not everyone's really understanding it beyond a surface level."

It is also so heartbreaking live! Best song imo.

By the end of it, I wanted to cry.

Impossible2
#240Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 12:19pm

SporkGoddess said: "I actually think that Catherine Howard's song is the most clever (in addition to just finding it ridiculously catchy). Judging from the YouTube video I'm watching that's reviewing the studio recording, though, it also seems like not everyone's really understanding it beyond a surface level."

That routine has grown into what it is now, the ending didn't used to be anything like it is these days.

It wasn't until the third time I saw the show that it had progressed into the more hard hitting and effective ending.

As someone said, it is so affecting now a lot of the time that number doesn't even get an applause because the audience are a bit in shock.

I also love the banter in between Don't Lose your Head and Heart of Stone and how it goes from being a hilarious bitchfest into the whole audience almost in tears in less than a minute.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#241Six reviews
Posted: 5/31/19 at 12:55pm

Glad this thread didn't get this far before I saw the show.  I preferred the surprises of some of the spoilers being tossed about here.

The girl who will play Evita has the worst song but she obviously has an amazing, amazing voice.

The worst song?!?!  I think it's one of the best and her performance of it is sensational.  The way that song differs from the recording is one of the show's strongest scenes.

Watched the performances on youtube (the main song and the anne number about don't lose your head). It's catchy as hell but doesn't offer much beyond that. 

Actually, it does.  You just didn't see it because you only watched those two numbers on Youtube.  There's MUCH more that happens.  I mean, if it's a BBC biographical dramatic miniseries that you're looking for in each of the women's stories, you're not going to get that here.  That was never the central conceit and concept of this show.  But if that's the only thing you'd ever want from a show, then I guess you wouldn't like it.  At any rate, this dialogue with the creators of the show really prepared me for what the show is and was meant to be: https://www.chicagoshakes.com/plays_and_events/six/six_creatorsconvo  
If you like to be entertained, then maybe you just need to readjust your expectations and see it hoping for a fun time.  By the end, Six has a way of evoking joy and elation from the audience that is really special and as someone who was EXTREMELY skeptical going in, I don't say that lightly.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

SporkGoddess
#242Six reviews
Posted: 6/1/19 at 9:43am

For those who've been to the Chicago production, how have people typically been dressing? I usually like to dress up for the theatre but since it's a concert-style production I thought that maybe it's more casual. I don't want to be overdressed.

I'm going to the 6 PM production, if that makes a difference.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

hamiltonstradition
#243Six reviews
Posted: 6/1/19 at 10:05am

Not a single queen has missed a performance yet, I'm SO curious to find out what the alternates are like!!!

Mister Matt
#244Six reviews
Posted: 6/1/19 at 1:49pm

"For those who've been to the Chicago production, how have people typically been dressing"

It's fairly casual. Given the location, a lot of people like to spend tourist time on the pier as well. Have fun!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#245Six reviews
Posted: 6/2/19 at 1:28pm

Mister Matt said: ""For those who've been to the Chicago production, how have people typically been dressing"

It's fairly casual. Given the location, a lot of people like to spend tourist time on the pier as well. Have fun!
"

So you suggest getting there early to site see?  Like 2 hours more than enough?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

DCS
#246Six reviews
Posted: 6/2/19 at 1:39pm

NY times Rave from New York times
https://nyti.ms/2QHTJZJ

Updated On: 6/2/19 at 01:39 PM

broadwayindie
#247Six reviews
Posted: 6/3/19 at 11:05am

So you suggest getting there early to site see?  Like 2 hours more than enough?

So most Chicagoans don't go to Navy Pier because there isn't much to do. I'd definitely recommend taking a walk down. An hour should be more than enough unless you want to actually do the activities on the pier (ie Ferris wheel etc). The only reason I ever have to go to Navy Pier is for Shakes.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#248Six reviews
Posted: 6/3/19 at 11:30am

^Seconded. 

Navy Pier is a tourist trap with very little to offer as far as worthwhile activities... HOWEVER... there are really lovely views and you can buy a Rainbow Cone and walk around the pier if you get there an hour or so before. And if it's a nice day and you like ice cream you really SHOULD get a Rainbow Cone and take in the views for an hour or so. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

Mister Matt
#249Six reviews
Posted: 6/3/19 at 5:45pm

I agree that unless you are planning to ride the ferris wheel or see an IMAX film, an hour is plenty of time to see Navy Pier.  If you're attending a Wed or Sat performance, you can stay and catch the fireworks at Navy Pier after the show (9:30 PM on Wed/10:15 PM on Sat).  If the weather is nice, I do enjoy spending time with friends at the outdoor beer garden.

NY times Rave from New York times
https://nyti.ms/2QHTJZJ

Funnily enough, I just saw the production of Next to Normal in that article yesterday.  It really was a strong production.