Choir Boy Reviews

VintageSnarker
#25Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/8/19 at 11:40pm

@Miles2Go2 Unless they extended, it's a limited run through February 17 so that urgency is even more urgent.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#26Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 12:11am

Yea, I know. Im there February 11th and will fly home February16th. Im working so no two show days. If I dont have to work that next week, I might extend one more day so I can catch one or two more shows on Saturday. I never can see everything I want, but once I commit Im okay with my choices. Im just so uncertain this time.

I saw a touring production of Fiddler maybe a decade ago and thought it was good but I wasnt blown away, but Ive heard such great things about the Yiddish version I want to try again.

I absolutely have to see The Ferryman. I wanted to see it last weekend, but my friend chose Kinky Boots for her first Broadway show and it was a good choice and I really enjoyed revisiting it before it closes. Ghee was great.

Ive been doubting whether I want to see Kiss Me, Kate as I was underwhelmed by the last 2 musical revivals I saw (MFL, OOTI), but on paper this looks great (Cole Porter + Kelli OHara). Unfortunately, I would need to see it on its first or second preview so not much time to hear from people whove attended.

And then even if I hated the rest of Network, I thought Id be compensated by finally seeing Cranston on stage in a compelling performance. Now I dont know.
I will admit that I dont think Ive ever seen the movie.

Im adding a fun day (Friday) to my work week so I can see a fifth show. If I dont extend one more day, its true DEH isnt going anywhere soon. Nor is TKAM (and I likely can make it back b4 Daniels leaves as hrs said he has a year contract). Hopefully, I can see TBV before it closes and/or Lenk departs. I fear this small, beautiful show will get swallowed up on tour in large performing arts centers. But youre right. If I want to see Choir Boy now is the time when I can next month. And then theres The Cher Show which Im so mixed about. I love Cher. I would love to finally see Block. But Im not the biggest fan of jukebox musicals. Oy vey!

Maybe Ill look for clips from Choir Boy to see if I find them compelling.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#27Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 12:21am

When is the next time youll be in the city? Fiddler is currently an open run and has Thursday matinees so might be a nice addition to a future trip.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#28Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 12:27am

I always say just see what you really want to see no matter what others say about it. I always go back to Hot Feet". Comments here and reviews were pretty much all negative. I am a huge huge Earth, Wind & Fire fan so it was a must for me. It should never have gone to Broadway and especially in the large house it was in (the now Lyric). It was pretty bad but I loved the music.

I have seen The Band's Visit. It is wonderful. If I had a choice between that and The Cher Show, I would see The Band's Visit. For a third time! JMO

Just give the world Love.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#29Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 12:31am

I have no more trips planned past next month. Work is sending me in February and it took someone behind the scenes pulling for me to get this one. Im hired on a contract basis, job by job, and usually the primo locations like NYC go to salaried full-time staff over contract staff. I also cant be coming into town every month as much as I would love to when its on my own dime. Fiddler works well in February because Ill land early Monday afternoon and they have a Monday evening performance.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#30Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 1:02am

uncageg said: "I always say just see what you really want to see no matter what others say about it. I always go back to Hot Feet". Comments here and reviews were pretty much all negative. I am a huge huge Earth, Wind &Fire fan so it was a must for me. It should never have gone to Broadway and especially in the large house it was in (the now Lyric). It was pretty bad but I loved the music.

I have seen The Band's Visit. It is wonderful. If I had a choice between that and The Cher Show, I would see The Band's Visit. For a third time! JMO
"

I’ve been thinking the same thing - I have a better time when I see what I want to see (Spongebob, If/Then, American Son, Skintight, The Lifespan of a Fact) than when I see things I think I should see (OOTI).  Even if the things I’m drawn to turn out not to be perfect, what drew me usually keeps me engaged. Unless that magical thing for some reason doesn’t ignite for me in the theater (MFL - although I’m glad I finally saw Butz). 

So I’ll likely keep Fiddler, Network, Ferryman and Kiss Me, Kate on my list. Tuesday is the night that’s still up in the air. If I skip Choir Boy, I may feel like I’m letting my gay brethren down and miss an original piece I’ll never see again. If I skip TBV, I could miss my last chance to see Lenk in it again. There’s really no current downside to waiting to see TKAM or DEH (again). I can probably see TKAM b4 Daniels leaves in the fall. And I’m sure they’ll continue casting DEH with fine cast members. I’ll obsess more between now and then and eventually decide. Of course, with its low box office, CB may decide for me and sadly close early (is MTC a non-profit?). I’m torn. I would love to revisit TBV (which no surprise, moved me to big tears) but I don’t want to miss out a new potentially moving experience. Right now I’m leaning toward Choir Boy, but that could change. I also think I’ll listen to some Kiss Me, Kate recordings. I may decide it’s skippable. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#31Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 1:07am

Miles, is The Prom not on your list? For me, it's one of the few absolute must-sees from this season, along with Waverly, Mockingbird, and The Ferryman. 

Even though it has problems, I think Network is worth seeing for Cranston alone, especially in the "I'm mad as hell" scene. It took my breath away. 

The Cher Show is very cheesy, but so entertaining.

Choir Boy is good, but predictable. It didn't feel particularly original or fresh to me. Jeremy Pope's performance is outstanding, though.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#32Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 1:20am

The Prom was on my list and the parade performance actually moved it up a notch (perhaps fueled by the backlash), but then I tried to listen to the OBCR and hated the first song so much, I turned it off. So its off the list. I do acknowledge that OBCRs rarely come alive for me until I see the show (context is everything), but Im usually not compelled to turn it off one track in. Just sampled a bit of KMK. I love So in Love and can imagine how glorious OHara will sound singing it. The rest Im not so sure about. So that might allow me to see TBV and Choir Boy. Ill likely prepurchase Fiddler and Network (via Audience Rewards) and let my gut, TKTS and the lotteries be my guide on the rest.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#33Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 1:20am

I saw the play and he just didn't get it. This play is going to hit people in different ways. I honestly feel that it is the older black and black gay male community that it will really hit and who will relate to it the most. I was an emotional wreck.

I agree, went completely over his head. This is such an incredible play, and I think everyone who has the opportunity to see it absolutely should. The talent is unreal.  

Fordham2015
uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#35Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 10:13am

Miles2Go2 said: "The Prom was on my list and the parade performance actually moved it up a notch (perhaps fueled by the backlash), but then I tried to listen to the OBCR and hated the first song so much, I turned it off. So its off the list. I do acknowledge that OBCRs rarely come alive for me until I see the show (context is everything), but Im usually not compelled to turn it off one track in. Just sampled a bit of KMK. I love So in Love and can imagine how glorious OHara will sound singing it. The rest Im not so sure about. So that might allow me to see TBV and Choir Boy. Ill likely prepurchase Fiddler and Network (via Audience Rewards) and let my gut, TKTS and the lotteries be my guide on the rest."

If an OBCR is out before I see a show, I usually don't listen to it first. See The Prom. Don't listen to the music first. Such a fun show. I had happy tears in my eyes at the end!

LarryD2
#36Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 10:27am

Green's review highlights the arbitrariness of the NYT Critics' Pick system. He basically trashes the play, aside from Pope's performance. Even when he writes positively about other aspects, he damns with faint praise. Yet it's still considered a Critics' Pick. Why?

I am not one for essentialism, but it does seem odd and wrong that the critical record for this play, which is so grounded in Black experience, has been written by almost exclusively white critics.

chanel
#37Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 12:33pm

I love Roma Torre, but don't the opening and ending of her review (as they stand now) sound like she thinks Choir Boy is a new play that establishes Tarell Alvin McCraney as a wonderful new theatrical voice? Tarell has been writing plays since the oughts and Choir Boy was done in 2013 by MTC.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2019/01/09/theater-review---choir-boy--?cid=twitter_NY1

chanel
#38Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 12:35pm

And, by the way, Moonlight was adapted (by Barry Jenkins and McCraney) from a play McCraney wrote way back in drama school.

C4b2a3b
#39Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 1:43pm

LarryD2 said: "I am not one for essentialism, but it does seem odd and wrong that the critical record for this play, which is so grounded in Black experience, has been written by almost exclusively white critics."

Not to open a can of worms, but this sentiment sadly mirrors the struggle of non-white America/USA. 

I'd be interested to see whether Hilton Als reviews CB in an upcoming issue. It doesn't seem like he liked the previous CB iteration. While not a full review, in 2013, Als wrote a piece about Wallace Shawn and Tarell Alvin McCraney, asking "What if [Shawn] were to create a gay character who, unlike McCraney’s hollowed-out, warbling youths, didn’t define himself according to the audience’s ideas about race and sexuality but was as uniquely upsetting and fascinating as anyone else?"

I appreciate that Jesse Green gives CB a Critics Pick but points out the flaws. He certainly dwells on the negative, but it seems that he's saying "It's not perfect but the pros outweigh the cons". In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing Choir Boy next week! I've never really considered myself an essentialist, but as a minority, I place high value on stories written by minorities. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#40Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 2:01pm

LarryD2 said: "Green's review highlights the arbitrariness of the NYT Critics' Pick system. He basically trashes the play, aside from Pope's performance. Even when he writes positively about other aspects, he damns with faint praise. Yet it's still considered a Critics' Pick. Why?

I am not one for essentialism, but it does seem odd and wrong that the critical record for this play, which is so grounded in Black experience, has been written by almost exclusively white critics.
"

Thank you.

LarryD2
#41Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 2:02pm

Hilton Als is currently on leave from The New Yorker writing a book. It's doubtful he'll review this production.

I don't believe that only Black critics can/should review plays by Black authors, etc. But I think those voices should be part of the conversation -- and it is continually frustrating how white (and male) professional theater criticism remains to be. I know that as a person of color (API) there are things in works I see that reflect my background that people from different cultural/ethnic groups often miss. 

all_that_jazz Profile Photo
all_that_jazz
#42Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 3:24pm

LarryD2 said: 
I don't believe that only Black critics can/should review plays by Black authors, etc. But I think those voices should be part of the conversation -- and it is continually frustrating how white (and male) professional theater criticism remains to be. I know that as a person of color (API) there are things in works I see that reflect my background that people from different cultural/ethnic groups often miss."

I think as a theatre critic regardless of race you should be able to grasp the production from others point of view and not only your own. 

As a white gay man, seeing Choir Boy was a great experience.  Seeing the overall similarities in the situation that trancend all races was one thing bit what really came through was seeing the specific challenges and obstacles faced by an african american boy in the same situation.  Hearing the reactions of other african americans in the audience also brought forth that point of view.  

Like any theatrical work i think you get more out of it when you try to see it from the characters point of view and not just your own.   

And as much as anyone should be able to delve into reviewing choir boy i would love to see a review by an african american gay or straight to bring in even more layers.  

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#43Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 4:04pm

all_that_jazz, I just hit the imaginary like button for your comments.

Scott19
#44Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 4:39pm

@miles2go2 - First off, thanks for all of your contributions to this board. I really enjoy reading what you have to say about the productions that you see.

Just chiming on what a few people have already said, I'd suggest seeing Choir Boy and passing on Network. I was a huge fan of Van Hove's View From The Bridge, but found his take on Network to be a bit of a slog. Too much surface. Cranston is fine (I'm a fan) but i felt let down by the rest of the production. In particular, the rest of the cast isn't up to the challenge (there are some really weak performances).

Choir Boy really stayed with me after seeing it. I think it is a very powerful play and I think Jeremy Pope is giving an absolutely incredible performance. 

I can only go by some of the plays that you have mentioned in your other posts. Judging from those, I think you would love Choir Boy. I'd suggest moving it to your list.

Just my two-cents. Have a terrific trip and enjoy.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#45Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 5:02pm

Thanks. Im fairly certain Im seeing Choir Boy now. I do feel compelled to see Network still despite criticisms of it.

My very favorite plays/musicals fall all over the place: Hamilton; Hello, Dolly!; On The Town; The King and I; Hedwig; Wicked; Rent; Avenue Q; Book of Mormon; American Idiot (my first Broadway show!); The Waverly Gallery; Pippin; Spring Awakening; DEH; Angels in America; Three Tall Women; Funny Girl (West End); The Iceman Cometh; The Flick; The Bands Visit; Once

Im in process of finding out if I have to travel to Memphis the Sunday following my work trip NYC. If not, I might extend one extra day and fly home Sunday which would allow me to see Fiddler, Choir Boy, Network, The Ferryman, The Bands Visit (again), The Cher Show and then maybe Kiss Me, Kate or DEH (again).

If I have to fly home Saturday, Ill likely see: Fiddler, Choir Boy, Network, The Ferryman, and then either TBV, DEH or Kiss Me, Kate.

Updated On: 1/9/19 at 05:02 PM

Scott19
#46Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 5:31pm

What a great lineup. Have a wonderful trip.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#47Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 7:06pm

It has been extended tbru February 24th.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/MTC-Extends-CHOIR-BOY-Through-Feb-24th-20190109

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#48Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 7:14pm

Cool, just booked row A for 2/23, was waiting for it to extend. Choir Boy Reviews

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#49Choir Boy Reviews
Posted: 1/9/19 at 7:38pm

I'm sure they'd love to extend further, but INK begins previews April 2.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.