pixeltracker

Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?- Page 2

Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?

Fosse76
#25Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 11:18am

BWAY Baby2 said: "I agree NYC is not a place for children alone."

Oh please. NYC is relatively safe. 

BWAY Baby2
#26Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 12:49pm

The parent said she would wait outside the theater for her 11 year old- that is a good idea. If you do not think so- fine. I agree with the parent. NYC is relatively safe- no one said it was not. You might not have realized it, but we live in dangerous times. WAKE UP. Why not send the child to Paris on a one week vacation by herself if she does well at Hamilton. That would probably sound like a great idea to you. Not to many, though.

Updated On: 1/14/19 at 12:49 PM

Fosse76
#27Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 1:27pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "The parent said she would wait outside the theater for her 11 year old- that is a good idea. If you do not think so- fine. I agree with the parent. NYC is relatively safe- no one said it was not. You might not have realized it, but we live in dangerous times. WAKE UP. Why not send the child to Paris on a one week vacation by herself if she does well at Hamilton. That would probably sound like a great idea to you. Not to many, though."

You must be a product of public education. I did not say nor imply anyone should send an 11 year-old to Paris for a week by him/herself. However, children younger than that are perfectly capable of maneuvering through cities by themselves without incident. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#28Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 1:30pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "The parent said she would wait outside the theater for her 11 year old- that is a good idea. If you do not think so- fine. I agree with the parent. NYC is relatively safe- no one said it was not. You might not have realized it, but we live in dangerous times. WAKE UP. Why not send the child to Paris on a one week vacation by herself if she does well at Hamilton. That would probably sound like a great idea to you. Not to many, though."

This is false equivalency on the level of Fox News.

MyLife
#29Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 1:54pm

Fosse76 said: "BWAY Baby2 said: "The parent said she would wait outside the theater for her 11 year old- that is a good idea. If you do not think so- fine. I agree with the parent. NYC is relatively safe- no one said it was not. You might not have realized it, but we live in dangerous times. WAKE UP. Why not send the child to Paris on a one week vacation by herself if she does well at Hamilton. That would probably sound like a great idea to you. Not to many, though."

You must be a product of public education. I did not say nor imply anyone should send an 11 year-old to Paris for a week by him/herself. However, children younger than that are perfectly capable of maneuvering through cities by themselves without incident.
"

What a disgusting insult to everyone who is the product of public education.

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#30Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 3:54pm

I took both my boys to their first Broadway shows when they were 10 (we'd seen some regional productions before that.) I have to say that it was a really great experience to have with them. I'm not concerned about your daughter's safety, but I think it would be much more relaxing for her to be there with you - no worries in the back of her mind about anyone behaving inappropriately, being able to discuss it with you at intermission and right after, etc. And on a practical note, what if she has to go to the restroom during intermission? It's a challenge even for adults to make it through that line in the time allotted (and that's if she's comfortable with/allowed to leave her seat.)

I'd vote with the others who've suggested trying for the lottery, or just waiting until you can both afford to go. Maybe start a "Hamilton fund" and put a little into it whenever you can? Have her think of ways to earn the money to pay for her ticket? Wait for it!

Maggie-the-schnoodle

Poconopanther
#31Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 4:23pm

Nope... The fact you are asking this question indicates you are not comfortable. That’s all you need to know.

There have been a lot of comments about the ushers...all good souls, but none have signed up to watch your child. In all honesty I’m sure she would be fine, but do you want to answer the news media’s questions about why such a youngster (not even a teenager) was left alone for 3 hours if there was some problem.  I wouldn’t!

Posner11
#32Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 4:58pm

Interesting the UK delfont mackintosh theatre site which owns the theatre Hamilton is playing at along with several others state clearly on their booking page for Hamilton and other shows that children 16 and under must be seated next to Their accompanying adult and that unchaperoned children maybe refused entry.

RukayaC
#33Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 6:39pm

I genuinely don't think an 11-year-old would be allowed into the theatre alone? From the Hamilton London FAQ page: 

All persons aged under 16 must be accompanied and seated next to the accompanying adult. They may not sit on their own within the auditorium. If children do have separate seats you could be refused entry.

So I don't think it's a question of if your child can handle it, but it's if they're even let into the theatre, which I'd presume is a no. Don't want to be a Debbie downer but it'd be awful for you to spend all that money only for you to be turned away at the door. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#34Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 6:40pm

melanine08 said: "We've been thinking about seeing Hamilton but only have money for 1 ticket. My daughter is obsessed with Hamilton and has been begging to go for months. She's only 11 but she's pretty mature. She knows about the Reynolds Pamphlet and most of the vocabulary. (It makes me feel like I was an idiot at her age) Can she go alone? I could buy her ticket, let her go inside the theater, and wait outside. Is that possible????"

HAMILTON site:

Since HAMILTON contains some strong language, the show is appropriate for ages 10+. Children under 4 are not permitted into the theatre. All persons aged under 16 must be accompanied and seated next to the accompanying adult. They may not sit on their own within the auditorium. If children do have separate seats you could be refused entry.

***Enter the  LOTTERY daily for 2 tickets and you will enventually WIN $10 (each) seats for front row!!! Now, that sounds like a lot of FUN attending HAMILTON with your daughter!!! Right Mom?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 1/14/19 at 06:40 PM

Niles Silvers
#35Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 10:07pm

Sorry, but I smell a troll.  Are you the same one who posted this same scenario some time back?

Jarethan
#36Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 11:01pm

JBroadway said: "Jarethan said: "I have never heard of the Reynolds pamphlet, and I have seen the show three times."

Wait, huh? Am I reading that correctly? How have you seen the show three times and not heard of the Reynolds Pamphlet?
"

Outside of the context of the show, I do not remember it (and I have not listened to the recording much lately).  Hum me a few bars, and hope for the best.  In the meantime,I still don't remember it.  Since I am seeing it again in Tampa in March, I will be extra careful to focus on it.

BroadwayNoob
#37Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 11:16pm

It's a choice of whether the parent feels comfortable with their child being alone and spending an exorbitant amount on an experience that she most likely will not remember as clearly as she would have liked. My parents love Broadway, but my first show was Cats in July 2017 when I was 14 simply because they felt like it would honestly be a waste of money if I couldn't remember the experience. I'm glad they waited because I can assure you that I would hardly be able to remember shows like Shrek and Spider-Man if I had seen them at the age I was. And since she is alone, you won't be able to relate to her experience. I'd personally wait to either enter the lottery or just save up so the two of you could go

I have been going to the city my entire life, but this summer was the first time I could go alone. And even though I was without parents, I still was with a group of my friends. I saw The Play That Goes Wrong with my friends, and Book of Mormon, and had zero issues. I would feel kind of lonely though if I saw both of those shows entirely alone because I wouldn't have anyone to discuss them with afterward

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#38Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/14/19 at 11:25pm

Just curious. How old are you? I have see the majority of my Broadway shows solo since 2012 when I was 48. In fact I saw 5 shows two weekends ago and the most impactful was one I saw alone. But I am an only child so I dont find company to be mandatory to having a good a time.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#39Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/15/19 at 12:56am

"Oh please. NYC is relatively safe. "

Sorry but IMO no place is really safe anymore for a 11 year old child to be left alone with adult strangers. BTW - are you a parent of a child?

Updated On: 1/15/19 at 12:56 AM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#40Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/15/19 at 8:02am

yankeefan7 said: "Sorry but IMO no place is really safe anymore for a 11 year old child to be left alone with adult strangers. BTW - are you a parent of a child?"

It's way safer for kids than when I was one in the '70s and '80s - pretty much everywhere, but especially in New York City. I'm not a parent, but I don't need to be one to interpret some very clear statisticssmiley

BWAY Baby2
#41Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/15/19 at 6:50pm

And someone else accused me of false equivalency- and FOX news tactics- when I ridiculously suggested that they would send an 11 year old to Paris- to me- both are out of the question. I am a cautions person- probably a lot more cautious than you. And, yes, I am a product of public education- and was a special ed. teacher in a high school for 30 years- and I guess sarcasm does not work on these boards- I was being sarcastic. I have been mugged- one time- I have been robbed- one time- I have been attacked- two times- and thankfully- that is all. My partner was held up at gunpoint years ago- and on and on. I am very careful and do not take chances if not necessary. I like to be accompanied- at night- walking in cities- any city. I do not own a gun and never will. But, I am cautious- and should not be derided because of that. I hope all of us never have to deal with crime and physically harmful situations- but they do occur. And, for me, I want to be as careful as I can- and still have a wonderful time wherever I go. Period. And if you disagree, that is fine. I make choices for myself- and you can do the same.

Updated On: 1/15/19 at 06:50 PM

andrewftw
#42Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/15/19 at 7:40pm

I would try to see the tour or the chicago production. They are cheaper in price compared to Broadway and you both can see it maybe!

Niles Silvers
#43Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/16/19 at 4:56pm

but hey, it worked, and you got a few people riled up about total nonsense/bs premise.  I do hope you are amused.  Next.  

BWAY Baby2
#44Can an 11 year old see the show Hamilton alone?
Posted: 1/16/19 at 5:03pm

You know- Niles Silvers- you might be right. I can't imagine anyone doing that- for what reason?- but I guess there are all sorts of people out there. Too bad. 

Videos