pixeltracker

The over/under for Come From Away

The over/under for Come From Away

SharksVsJets
#1The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 4:51pm

Come From Away owns nearly every house record at the Schoenfeld/Plymouth Theatre, with the exception of longest run. That record belongs to Jekyll and Hyde (1588 total shows). To date (Jan. 20 2019) CFA has had 802 shows. To break Jekyll and Hyde's record, CFA would have to play another 787 performances which would take slightly less than 2 years. Do you think it can do it?

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#2The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 5:00pm

It always baffles me that Jekyll and Hyde had a record-breaking run and still managed to lose a ton of money...some bad investment practices there?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 5:03pm

I think the show has a good 5-6 year run. It's still selling out, though tickets are a little easier to come by now. It should break Jekyll & Hyde's record.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#4The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 5:20pm

It's been making $1mm per week easily, and I'd guess the operating costs are ~ $500K, so it's got a long way until it starts losing money. It will easily hit 3.5 years (Labor Day 2020) or more. When it closes, it's not going to be sudden –– it'll close around a New Year or Labor Day. We might see a dip in the coming months as other new shows come in, but even if it settles around $800K/wk, it's making profit.

One of the other amazing things is that it's almost 2 years in, and only 3 OBC members have left. Aladdin is the only other recent show I can think of that retained multiple original principals well into its second year.

Updated On: 1/21/19 at 05:20 PM

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#5The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 5:47pm

Sorry. No offense meant to OP...but what is the point of this thread? 

SharksVsJets
#6The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 5:50pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "One of the other amazing things is that it's almost 2 years in, and only 3 OBC members have left. Aladdin is the only other recent show I can think of that retained multiple original principals well into its second year."

There were auditions for Broadway replacements for most roles recently so I expect there will be a big turnover soon.

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#7The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 6:04pm

MichelleCraig said: "Sorry. No offense meant to OP...but what is the point of this thread?"

To discuss if it can break the previous record for that particular theater...? Were you not able to come to that conclusion simply by reading above?

Updated On: 1/21/19 at 06:04 PM

JSquared2
#8The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 6:14pm

SharksVsJets said: "SomethingPeculiar said: "One of the other amazing things is that it's almost 2 years in, and only 3 OBC members have left.Aladdin is the only other recent show I can think of that retained multiple original principals well into its second year."

There were auditions for Broadway replacements for most roles recently so I expect there will be a big turnover soon.

I'm pretty certain they've only had the required EPAs.  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 6:45pm

SharksVsJets said: "SomethingPeculiar said: "One of the other amazing things is that it's almost 2 years in, and only 3 OBC members have left.Aladdin is the only other recent show I can think of that retained multiple original principals well into its second year."

"

Shows are required to hold auditions, even if they have no immediate jobs.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SharksVsJets
#10The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 6:56pm

Did not know that. Thanks for the info.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 7:19pm

as far as I know, all remaining 9 OBC members have extended again(through Aug. '19). Sharon Wheatley is currently out on medical leave as posted on her Twitter. Happy McPartlin will be playing Diane/others until March 10. All remaining OBC talk about what a family they are and what this show means to them.

Tweet

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#12The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 7:24pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "It's been making $1mm per week easily, and I'd guess the operating costs are ~ $500K, so it's got along way until it starts losing money. It willeasily hit3.5 years (Labor Day 2020) or more. When it closes, it's not going to be sudden –– it'llclose around aNew Year or Labor Day.We might see a dip in the coming months as other new shows come in, but even if it settles around $800K/wk, it's making profit.

One of the other amazing thingsis that it's almost 2 years in, and only 3 OBC members have left.Aladdin is the only other recent show I can think of that retained multiple original principals well into its second year.
"

They’re more than making enough to cover it, but just wanted to note that their weekly operating costs are significantly higher than that.  

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

KKeller6
#13The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 9:01pm

Actually Come From Away's nut is probably less than 500K per week. Now, the producers can pay the creative team outrageous sums to make that cost go up, but that would be the only way a show of this nature exceeds 500K. Small crew,one setter, small band,no actors getting paid huge sums. Its the perfect musical really.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#14The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 9:55pm

For a show many though would fail, its really amazing what has become. Toronto production, London production, Tour, Melbourne. Going strong!

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#15The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 10:19pm

dramamama611 said: "SharksVsJets said: "SomethingPeculiar said: "One of the other amazing things is that it's almost 2 years in, and only 3 OBC members have left.Aladdin is the only other recent show I can think of that retained multiple original principals well into its second year."

"

Shows are required to hold auditions, even if they have no immediate jobs.
"

I'm assuming this is an equity rule, but what's the purpose behind it if they're not intending to hire?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#16The over/under for Come From Away
Posted: 1/21/19 at 10:37pm

Worth noting, the Toronto production closed yesterday, and will reopen on February 5th in a different theatre.  This is extremely rare for a Toronto show to move.  (Dear Evan Hansen kicked them out :P) The cast was shipped off to Newfoundland this week for a series of semi-staged concert performances (that sold out in a couple of hours).

Videos