New Ben Platt Album

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#1New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/1/19 at 8:23pm

He's got a new album coming out at the end of March. There's 2 songs streaming now... and they sound kind of dated? I was a bit underwhelmed. Has anyone else heard?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/1/19 at 9:13pm

Really like BAD HABIT. When the video started the picture on the wall caught my eye and I thought "Hmm". Then the final scene came and verified my thoughts about where the video was going. Beautiful video.

Not so crazy about EASE MY MIND. Not a bad song but just kind of standard.

With that said, I am really looking forward to hearing the rest.

Just give the world Love.

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#3New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/1/19 at 10:11pm

I'm also underwhelmed by the two I heard. I was hoping for something that would feel the same way I felt about Sam Smith's first album. Perhaps that's because Platt made those initial comparisons in terms of the style he was looking to emulate. 

When the second song started I did think that the lyrics were perhaps too basic because he hasn't had many life experiences. Sure he's had a great career at an early age, but he has spoken about how he hasn't dated a lot and when I listen to these songs...I can tell.

I'm still hoping for the rest of this album to build and for this to be a success for all involved!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/1/19 at 11:26pm

I took it as a dream he was having. Possibly about an ex.
I can feel this song going into heavy rotation on my playlist.

I think his voice lends well to pop.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 2/1/19 at 11:26 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/1/19 at 11:27pm

Very dated. Oof.

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#6New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/1/19 at 11:46pm

RippedMan said: "Very dated. Oof."

What you mean by very dated?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/1/19 at 11:54pm

the production/sound are not current. It sounds like "lite" radio music. 

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#8New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/1/19 at 11:57pm

RippedMan said: "the production/sound are not current. It sounds like "lite" radio music."

oh that’s part of why I really liked the initial songs. It’s different than what is playing on most of the radio today. To each their own. I like where the album is going. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/2/19 at 12:38am

Totally. I think it sounds like something a 40 year old woman in a cubicle might listen to. And that's not me. So to each their own. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#10New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/2/19 at 1:31am

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from this album. My first impression of Bad Habit was it sounds like something the band Keane might’ve released, but liked how it builds. But after repeated listens, I’ve come to love it.

Ease My Mind reminds me of Carole King; it too has grown on me.

I was dreading the inevitable thread about his new album because some members have been known to get vicious in their attacks on him. I think some of those members are no longer here. I did learn from the thread about the Bad Habit video which I absolutely loved. Is that Charlie Carver at end? I might’ve squealed in unadulterated glee. Lol

It may seem dated. I think most Broadway stars have struggled to sound contemporary on their albums. Of course, many don’t try and are quite happy to create music that is in line with their stage music, sometimes to excellent results. But I can only think of Barbra when I think of Broadway stars who were able to succeed with a career in the pop world. Of course, the pop world is a lot more limiting now in what it invites into its fold which is ironic because on the surface I suppose it is more diverse as far as artists go. But most Top 40 music now seems to consist of a “vibe” plus polish and style rather than being based on actual sound songwriting with melodies and harmonies. Can anyone even remember the hook or melody from one Halsey song? It’s like there were twenty bongs in the recording studio. I was raised on pop music, but so much of it these days is indistinguishable from the rest. These two songs aren’t that so it may not succeed in the pop world, but I like them. But if the pop world can make room for Sam Smith and Adele, maybe there’s room for more. (Although Sam Smith seems to be one of the few out gay artists who is embraced by a pop audience. Troye Sivan’s album last year was magic and couldn’t find a broad audience. Perhaps because he makes music that’s more specific to the gay experience). There’s legitimate passion and actual songwriting in evidence on the first two Platt songs. It’s already better than the entirety of Ed Sheehan’s music up to this point. I wish Mr. Platt well and look forward to the rest of the album.

Updated On: 2/2/19 at 01:31 AM

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#11New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/2/19 at 2:22am

So far his music is just okay - somewhat tuneful but very light (and I’m a fan of a light FM sound). Recently I saw Choir Boy and was so taken with Jeremy Pope that I looked his music up after. He only has a couple of songs but I liked those much more. Maybe the rest of Ben’s album will catch me, but what I’ve heard doesn’t leave me feeling like I HAVE to get it.

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#12New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/2/19 at 10:51am

Miles2Go2 said: "I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from this album. My first impression of Bad Habit was it sounds like something the band Keane might’ve released, but liked how it builds. But after repeated listens, I’ve come to love it.

Ease My Mind reminds me of Carole King; it too has grown on me.

I was dreading the inevitable thread about his new album because some members have been known to get vicious in their attacks on him. I think some of those members are no longer here. I did learn from the thread about the Bad Habit video which I absolutely loved. Is that Charlie Carver at end? I might’ve squealed in unadulterated glee. Lol

It may seem dated. I think most Broadway stars have struggled to sound contemporary on their albums. Of course, many don’t try and are quite happy to create music that is in line with their stage music, sometimes to excellent results. But I can only think of Barbra when I think of Broadway stars who were able to succeed with a career in the pop world. Of course, the pop world is a lot more limiting now in what it invites into its fold which is ironic because on the surface I suppose it is more diverse as far as artists go. But most Top 40 music now seems to consist of a “vibe” plus polish and style rather than being based on actual sound songwriting with melodies and harmonies. Can anyone even remember the hook or melody from one Halsey song? It’s like there were twenty bongs in the recording studio. I was raised on pop music, but so much of it these days is indistinguishable from the rest. These two songs aren’t that so it may not succeed in the pop world, but I like them. But if the pop world canmake room for Sam Smith and Adele, maybe there’s room for more. (Although Sam Smith seems to be one of the few out gay artists who is embraced by a pop audience. Troye Sivan’s album last year was magic and couldn’t find a broad audience. Perhaps because he makes music that’s more specific to the gay experience). There’s legitimate passion and actual songwriting in evidence on the first two Platt songs. It’s already better than the entirety of Ed Sheehan’s music up to this point. I wish Mr. Platt well and look forward to the rest of the album.
"

His voice is a stunner. But listening to the two songs. I almost wish Benj Pasek and Justin Paul had produced/written the album.

The video is gorgeous tho!

Jvj24605
#13New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/2/19 at 11:31am

While neither of Ease My Mind or Bad Habit are musically/artistically ambitious, I find them both quite moving. 

Yes there may be overreliance on background chorus on Bad Habit (which reminds me of a song that would play on CW end credits), but the yearning and soul in Platt's voice gleams in both these songs.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#14New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/2/19 at 2:28pm

Didn’t see Mr. Platt in Hansen, saw Taylor Trensch. I wasn’t as thrilled about the show as some on this board but I liked it. And I’ve grown to like some of the music on the cast album very much, even playing it in a neighborhood jukebox! Mr. Platt is quite thrilling on the cast album but this latest song from his new album-Bad Habit- I think it’s called- was very disappointing. Mostly the pedestrian lyrics bothered me most and his voice tends to do that, I don’t know what you call it in musical terms, but sort of slides and just that general pop sound now heard in all the I Am Talented TV contests. Mr. Platt is better than that, I think. I couldn’t get through the whole video and I was very curious to hear it. Better material is warranted. 

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#15New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/2/19 at 3:41pm

RippedMan said: "Totally. I think it sounds like something a 40 year old woman in a cubicle might listen to.

Confused----do you mean a middle aged lady should get in a cupboard to listed to this? What is this 'cubicle'---an elevator? Is this elevator music in Macys?

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#16New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/2/19 at 6:00pm

SweetLips22 said: "RippedMan said: "Totally. I think it sounds like something a 40 year old woman in a cubicle might listen to.

Confused----do you mean a middle aged lady should get in a cupboard to listed to this? What is this 'cubicle'---an elevator? Is this elevator music in Macys?

pretty sure he means work cubicle... :)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#17New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/2/19 at 6:42pm

She obviously is loving the songs:

New Ben Platt Album

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#18New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/3/19 at 2:59pm

That's just like a first class cubicle on Scoot.

Updated On: 2/3/19 at 02:59 PM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#19New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/4/19 at 12:49pm

Miles2Go2 said: "I did learn from the thread about the Bad Habit video which I absolutely loved. Is that Charlie Carver at end? I might’ve squealed in unadulterated glee. Lol"

I like the song and the video, and was tickled to see Charlie Carver's cameo at the end. And I don't agree with the "dated" criticisms.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#20New Ben Platt Album
Posted: 2/5/19 at 12:10pm

I think Bad Habit is a great song and Ben emotes so gloriously at the end! Those little slidey things he does, when used effectively, are very interesting and definitely a "signature." I love that he's not losing his identity while branching out to the pop world!