Come From Away Tour Recoups

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#1Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 3/7/19 at 5:09pm

This show just keeps winning.

First 9 Olivier award nominations earlier this week, now the tour has recouped in just 19 weeks!!

Heres to the little show that can!

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#2Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 3/8/19 at 9:54am

Awesome show and very happy about the success of this great show. Off topic a little bit but I was wearing T-shirt from that show on last trip to Disneyworld and at least 4-5 people stopped me and said they liked the shirt/show.

Fosse76
#3Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 3/8/19 at 4:21pm

Not to diminish the show's success, but the low running costs, inexpensive production costs, and the fact that the average touring house is twice the size of the Schoenfeld on Broadway, it's no surprise. Subscription series practically guarantee a show can recoup on the road. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 3/8/19 at 5:05pm

The tour is selling out everywhere. Congrats to all!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#5Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 3/8/19 at 6:01pm

This show will continue to be a cash cow for years to come. Congrats to the producers for taking the time to let it fully develop; it’s going to pad their retirement funds very nicely.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

SharksVsJets
#6Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 3/8/19 at 6:18pm

I'm seeing the tour a week from Sunday. I'm very excited but also worried it's not going to live up to my expectations.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#7Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/8/19 at 3:07pm

I have a ticket for this weekend and for some reason I’m not even motivated to make the 4-hr r/t drive up to Pittsburgh to see it. Has anyone seen the tour recently and have any comments?

musicman1985
#8Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/8/19 at 3:37pm

I saw the tour over a week ago in Omaha and it exceeded my high expectations. If it helps, here is my review of the show.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/national-tours/article/BWW-Review-COME-FROM-AWAY-at-Omaha-Performing-Arts-20190401

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#9Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/8/19 at 5:07pm

^ ^ ^ Very nice and in-depth review! I’ll have to come back after I see the show this weekend to post some comments. Thanks for linking your review. :)

tourboi
#10Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/8/19 at 7:14pm

Fosse76 said: "Not to diminish the show's success, but the low running costs, inexpensive production costs,and the fact that the average touring house is twice the size of the Schoenfeld on Broadway, it's no surprise. Subscription series practically guarantee a show can recoup on the road."

It still usually takes a while to recoup a tour. While the size of the house is bigger - the profits above costs are usually split with local presenters. Presenters pay the guarantee to the show to show up... then profits above that and marketing/running costs are also taken into account. What's left of 'profit' for that week is then split between presenter and producer - so even if a show sells out, all of that money does not go to the producer.  As to the low running costs being a factor, that's good producing - and CFA does in fact have a very good producing team at the helm. 

Updated On: 4/8/19 at 07:14 PM

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#11Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/8/19 at 7:39pm

Also congrats on their Olivier Award wins! Best New Musical in a London as it should have been in NYC.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#12Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/9/19 at 12:49am

Really happy this show just keeps chugging along and making money. It just shows that people want new, interesting stories and not movie-to-musical remakes. 

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#13Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/9/19 at 1:54pm

And now the Tour has been awarded 4 LA Drama Critics Circle Awards including best production:

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/entertainment-pmn/come-from-away-collects-more-accolades-this-time-from-l-a-drama-critics

SporkGoddess
#14Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/9/19 at 2:51pm

I just saw the tour and it was fantastic! Well deserved.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#16Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/14/19 at 11:58am

I’m at the Benedum Center now waiting for the auditorium doors to open. No window cards on display, but was told that they’re doing a Broadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS event at the end today with autographed window cards. Of course I’ll buy one. And I thought I was going to get away from this one on the cheap. Come From Away Tour Recoups

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#17Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/14/19 at 5:52pm

The thunderous applause and roaring cheers that erupted across the audience in attendance at today’s matinee was the loudest I had heard at any show, ever, anywhere, with the exception of the Act 1 Finale of WICKED’s National Tour.

This stunning, remarkable, non-stop, 100-minute emotional roller coaster of a ride deserves all the praise and accolades that have been heaped upon it.

The only point where it slows down was during the song Me and the Sky, which tells the story of Beverley Bass - of her growing up and becoming American Airlines first-ever female captain.

This show is everything people have come to say about it and more. And if this show lost Best Musical to Dear Evan Hansen, I can’t wait to see DEH six weeks from now.

There was a Broadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS collection with autographed window cards in the lobby at the end, but because the show finishes with the rambunctious Screech Out being played by the on-stage band, no announcement was made, which probably should have been done so prior to the show starting.

I woke up this morning still not wanting to make the long round-trip drive to Pittsburgh, especially since the weather was going to be so stormy. And it did pour all morning. But by time everyone walked out of the theatre the skies had cleared a bit. And we were all better human beings, even if just for a moment, for having seen this little masterpiece.

What a mistake it would have been to have missed this show.

Updated On: 4/14/19 at 05:52 PM

ArtMan
#18Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/14/19 at 6:01pm

dmwnc1959 said: "The thunderous applause and roaring cheers that erupted across the audience in attendance at today’s matinee was the loudest I had heard at any show, ever, anywhere, with the exception of the Act 1 Finale of WICKED’s National Tour.

This stunning, remarkable, non-stop, 100-minute emotional roller coaster of a ride deserves all the praise and accolades that have been heaped upon it.

The only point where it slows down was during the song Me and the Sky, which tells the story of Beverley Bass - of her growing up and becoming American Airlines first-ever female captain.

This show is everything people have come to say about it and more. And if this show lost Best Musical to Dear Evan Hansen, I can’t wait to see DEH six weeks from now.

There was aBroadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS collection with autographed window cards in the lobby at the end, but because the show finishes with the rambunctious Screech Out being played by the on-stage band, no announcement was made, which probably should have been done so prior to the show starting.

I woke up this morning still not wanting to make the long round-trip drive to Pittsburgh, especially since the weather was going to be so stormy. And it did pour all morning. But by time everyone walked out of the theatre the skies had cleared a bit. And we were all better human beings, even if just for a moment, for having seen this little masterpiece.

What a mistake it would have been to have missedthis show.
"

Happy that you enjoyed it.  I see it in June in Orlando.  My drive isn't as bad as yours (2 hours each way).  Since it is such a short show not sure yet if I will drive back after or spend the night.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#19Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/14/19 at 6:21pm

ArtMan said: “Happy that you enjoyed it. I see it in June in Orlando. My drive isn't as bad as yours (2 hours each way). Since it is such a short show not sure yet if I will drive back after or spend the night."

You must be seeing an evening performance? It really is a short show, and the time goes by quick. You leave energized. The drive home will give you time to re-listen to the OBCR. 

Stellasteve
#20Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/15/19 at 12:18am

dmwnc1959 said: "This show is everything people have come to say about it and more. And if this show lost Best Musical to Dear Evan Hansen, I can’t wait to see DEH six weeks from now."

I don't know if there is a consensus here on the Board, but I saw DEH in December and CFA in January and felt like CFA was the much better show.  I enjoyed DEH quite a bit, but CFA took me on an emotional journey I hadn't been on in a long time in the theater.  Based on my experience, I would have voted for CFA as Best Musical that year.  I'm glad you enjoyed the show!

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#21Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/15/19 at 8:35am

It's hard for this Canadian to say anything bad about Come From Away. There is a pride that you have seeing your country on stage. Having recently seen Dear Evan Hansen, I can say I loved Come From Away more.

Part of this, is that I saw CFA for the first time in the Pre Broadway tryout. I had no interest in seeing it, and then got a standing room ticket out of sheer interest because it was sold out for the whole run. Dear Evan Hansen was being hailed as this incredible achievement in musical theatre, that I couldn't wait to see it. The hype was huge around Evan, and it didn't live up to all the screaming fans.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#22Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/15/19 at 10:24am

^ ^ ^ The BWW review titled A Stunning Show of Community doesn’t even come close to describing the absolutely amazing generosity and incredible hospitality shown by the communities of Newfoundland. I can see how it would make any Canadian proud. The show is a remarkable achievement in portraying a wide range of emotions and feelings. There were non-stop moments of great joy, terrible sadness, tears, and belly laughs. You leave the show feeling drained and energized at the same time. It is a definitive must-see.

ArtMan
#23Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/15/19 at 7:45pm

dmwnc1959 said: "ArtMan said: “Happy that you enjoyed it. I see it in June in Orlando. My drive isn't as bad as yours (2 hours each way). Since it is such a short show not sure yet if I will drive back after or spend the night."

You must be seeing an evening performance? It really is a short show, and the time goes by quick. You leave energized. The drive home will give you time to re-listen to the OBCR.

"

Yes, it's a 8:00 pm performance.  Here's a laugh for when you read this.  I have the cast recording for every show I have seen.  (Which will eventually include Come From Away).  I have never listened to any of them.  It just sits on the shelves with my 3000 other cds.

TorontoBroadwayFan
#24Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/15/19 at 7:45pm

I’m thrilled that this show continues to shine. As a Canadian who has deep Newfoundland roots, it’s exciting to see CFA being loved in the US and abroad. If anyone is ever in Toronto, CFA is in its second year here and demand hasn’t abated. 

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#25Come From Away Tour Recoups
Posted: 4/15/19 at 7:53pm

ArtMan said: "Yes, it's a 8:00 pm performance. Here's a laugh for when you read this. I have the cast recording for every show I have seen. (Which will eventually include Come From Away). I have never listened to any of them. It just sits on the shelves with my 3000 other cds."

I only have about 500 tracks downloaded, and listen to many of the OBCR albums repeatedly even after I’ve seen the show. I started listening to DEAR EVAN HANSEN this morning. Can’t wait for my 2019/2020 season to get closer so I can start listening to a dozen more OBCR. There’s always something new and wonderful to discover for every new show I see. 

Videos