Burn This Previews

broadwayfan128
#25Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 10:30am

Any stage door reports ?

hellosydney
#26Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 10:32am

There’s another thread for stage door! Adam, Keri and David all signed.

amygbrooks
#27Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 11:32am

Miles2Go2 said: "amygbrooks said: "I saw this tonight. It was my first time at a first preview, and I wasn't familiar with the text beforehand. I am not a theater expert by any means, so please take this with a grain of salt.

That's everything I can think of. Again, I am not expert, this was just my own experience of the show."

Thanks for your report from tonight! You paid your money to see the show and you attended it. As such, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else that was there tonight or anyone else on this message board. Again, thanks for the report!

"

Thank you for saying this! Honestly, I am often hesitant to post here because it seems like posters are frequently attacked for the tiniest things. I see about 10 shows a year in New York (plus a handful of the ones that tour), but often feel like if I don't have complete encyclopedic knowledge of any and every show/actor that I'm going to mention, then I better not say anything because someone will call me out on some aspect I wasn't aware of, probably in a really bitchy way.

I know that's probably silly, but it can be hard to take the plunge sometimes.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#28Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 12:11pm

Don’t be scared to share. I liked reading your thoughts. But tell us, what did you think of the play itself?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ELP
#29Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 12:21pm

amygbrooks said: "Miles2Go2 said: "amygbrooks said: "I saw this tonight. It was my first time at a first preview, and I wasn't familiar with the text beforehand. I am not a theater expert by any means, so please take this with a grain of salt.

That's everything I can think of. Again, I am not expert, this was just my own experience of the show."

Thanks for your report from tonight! You paid your money to see the show and you attended it. As such, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else that was there tonight or anyone else on this message board. Again, thanks for the report!

"

Thank you for saying this! Honestly, I am often hesitant to post here because it seems like posters are frequently attacked for the tiniest things. I see about 10 shows a year in New York (plus a handful of the ones that tour), but often feel like if I don't have complete encyclopedic knowledge of any and every show/actor that I'm going to mention, then I better not say anything because someone will call me out on some aspect I wasn't aware of, probably in a really bitchy way.

"

Your review was PERFECT!! Why?? Because it was YOURS!!!!! Entertainment is an art, not a science. Never a right or wrong and always in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I appreciate your honesty in the above post and your courage to post your review notwithstanding how others may opine on this forum!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#30Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 12:27pm

FYI, some $59-69 balcony seats are available for Monday, 4/15, which I believe is the unofficial opening night for the show, similar to what The Boys in the Band did last year.

sondmon
#31Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 1:18pm

CT2NYC said: "FYI, some $59-69 balcony seats are available for Monday, 4/15, which I believe is the unofficial opening night for the show, similar to what The Boys in the Banddid last year."

hey- can you clarify? I see tickets aviable for the 15th and 16th- Which one is opening? Playbill is listing the 16th.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#32Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 1:28pm

sondmon said: "CT2NYC said: "FYI, some $59-69 balcony seats are available for Monday, 4/15, which I believe is the unofficial opening night for the show, similar to what The Boys in the Banddid last year."

hey- can you clarify? I see tickets aviable for the 15th and 16th- Which one is opening? Playbill is listing the 16th.
"

The official opening night is 4/16, which has been on sale from the beginning, and has availability throughout the theatre. If that were the industry opening night, there would most likely be no availability in the orchestra and dress circle. 4/15 has not always been on sale, and you'll see that the only availability is in the balcony, which leads me to believe that it's the unofficial opening night, with invited guests and a red carpet. Last year, The Boys in the Band did the same thing, with an official opening night of 5/31, but celebrity guests attended the 5/30 performance, with the cast party afterward.

Updated On: 3/17/19 at 01:28 PM

sondmon
#33Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 1:33pm

Oh i see thanks that makes sense.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#34Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 1:43pm

sondmon said: "Oh i see thanks that makes sense."

Also, with Hadestown opening on 4/17, and Hillary and Clinton opening on 4/18, there's kind of a logjam that week, so that might factor into it, as well.

Updated On: 3/16/19 at 01:43 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#35Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 9:55pm

A handful of other shows have done opening night celebrations/invited performances the night before. The main reason being that everyone gets to enjoy the show and the party without worrying about reviews.

brdwybuff
#36Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 10:47pm

amygbrooks said: "Miles2Go2 said: "amygbrooks said: "I saw this tonight. It was my first time at a first preview, and I wasn't familiar with the text beforehand. I am not a theater expert by any means, so please take this with a grain of salt.

"

"

I agree! I have had snarky comments respond to posts and just downright nasty. I guess it’s easy to do when hiding behind a computer screen....

thank you for your insight!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#37Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/16/19 at 11:58pm

Burn This Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Dani0995
#38Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/17/19 at 10:55am

I saw this last night. It was very fun. Adam Driver was so good. So was Brandon Uranowitz

Updated On: 3/17/19 at 10:55 AM

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#39Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/17/19 at 10:56am

Any word on runtime?

jpiedrafite
#40Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/17/19 at 11:40am

Also saw this last night and enjoyed it. Started at about 807, was on the street by 1040 (and I was in the balcony). Stated 2:30, so I imagine it will get there during previews.

pacificnorthwest Profile Photo
pacificnorthwest
#41Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/17/19 at 1:52pm

re:  "... often feel like if I don't have complete encyclopedic knowledge of any and every show/actor that I'm going to mention, then I better not say anything because someone will call me out on some aspect I wasn't aware of, probably in a really bitchy way. I know that's probably silly, but it can be hard to take the plunge sometimes."

It's not silly. I rarely post after I see a show unless I'm chiming in on someone's post, usually agreeing with a point. While I think things have gotten better, perhaps a little kinder, on these boards, past ridicule (even shaming) generally steers me away from sharing much.

I greatly appreciate the boards'  breadth and depth of knowledge and experience. I've learned a lot. Occasionally I'm compelled to say something. But mostly, even after nearly 20 years now seeing many shows a season, my grasp of all things theater is barely measurable when compared to most anyone else's here.

Better to enjoy what I enjoy and stay mum for the most part.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#42Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/17/19 at 2:35pm

I have noted posters stating that this is a fun show and that Driver and Uranowitz are humorous. I was under the impression that this was primarily a drama from the promotion photos and especially from the description:

“When a mysterious death brings together two unlikely strangers, their explosive connection sparks a chemistry too fiery to ignore. Directed by Tony winner Michael Mayer (Spring Awakening, Hedwig and the Angry Inch), and co-starring Tony nominees David Furr and Brandon Uranowitz, BURN THIS is a smoldering story of love and raw attraction by one of the most vital playwrights of the modern era.”

I am fully aware that plays/musicals can be both dramatic and humorous and, in fact, one can feed the other (Hamilton, Falsettos, The Waverly Gallery, the most goes on...) with magnificent results.

Just curious as people seem to be highlighting the humor in the piece to praise. Wondering if the play is not designed to be dramatic or if the dramatic shadings just didn’t work for you as much as the humor did.

amygbrooks
#43Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/17/19 at 3:27pm

I was definitely surprised by how funny it was. It seemed like there were more comedic moments than dramatic/heavy ones, which I was not expecting at all based on the promo material.

Spoilers ahead...

For what it's worth I had a hard time buying into the idea that there is all this uncontrollable passion between Pale and Anna. They had a little fling, she was pretty clear all along that it was not serious, and yet it seems like the audience is supposed to believe they are in love. I did not feel like they were in love. Pale/Adam and Anna/Keri both SAID they'd never felt this way about anyone...but I don't think those feelings came across well. They kissed and were seemingly choreographed to keep getting physically closer (especially during their first encounter) but it didn't feel borne of any true magnetism, just...direction, I guess.

I really liked how the play dealt mostly in friendships (especially using Larry/Brandon Uranowitz) yet treated those relationships (rightfully) like family.

It also felt odd to me that there was so much talk of dancing as a profession/obsession, and there was a barre as part of the set, but we never saw anyone (especially Keri) dance. Not that I would have expected some amazingly professional performance, but just some little bits to show us that dancing was the central piece of her life. It was supposedly the whole reason why she wasn't married yet, and why she wasn't interested in Pale, etc. I would have an easier time buying that as her character's central motivation if she even just did some stretches at the barre.

There was a part of a scene where Burton, Anna's boyfriend, is telling Anna and Larry about a time when he was younger and he was walking through New York in the snow and met someone and had an unexpected homesexual experience. I found his anecdote very moving, and much of the audience gasped while he was telling it and got to the climax (haha sorry) of his story. It was like a glimpse of the real drama and suspense this play could contain.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#44Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/17/19 at 4:14pm

Thanks for the insight, all. If anyone took a photo of the merch booth, please post it. I did call the theater, and it's just a mobile lottery for now on TodayTix.  

Updated On: 3/18/19 at 04:14 PM

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#45Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/18/19 at 9:21pm

Intermission now. Adam and Keri are wonderful. More to come later. Adam might snag that Tony Award

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#46Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/18/19 at 9:40pm

Does this production have an in person rush? Anyone tried?

TonightsMarquee
#47Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/18/19 at 9:50pm

And for lotto winners, where were your seats? Thank you in advance!

Jarethan
#48Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/18/19 at 10:50pm

Miles2Go2 said: "I have noted posters stating that this is a fun show and that Driver and Uranowitz are humorous. I was under the impression that this was primarily a drama from the promotion photos and especially from the description:

“When a mysterious death brings together two unlikely strangers, their explosive connection sparks a chemistry too fiery to ignore. Directed by Tony winner Michael Mayer (Spring Awakening, Hedwig and the Angry Inch), and co-starring Tony nominees David Furr and Brandon Uranowitz, BURN THIS is a smoldering story of love and raw attraction by one of the most vital playwrights of the modern era.”

I am fully aware that plays/musicals can be both dramatic and humorous and, in fact, one can feed the other (Hamilton, Falsettos, The Waverly Gallery, the most goes on...) with magnificent results.

Just curious as people seem to be highlighting the humor in the piece to praise. Wondering if the play is not designed to be dramatic or if the dramatic shadings just didn’t work for you as much as the humor did.
"

I have not yet seen this revival, but I did see the original production.  I remember  laughing a lot  primarily because John Malkovich's was so (apparently intentionally) over the top that it brought a lot of laughter, especially when the character is first introduced.  He also had an over-the-top hair-do, that got as much attention in some of the reviews as his actual performance, which Driver apparently is not doing

I have to admit that I don't remember a lot, but that I loved Malkovich, who got some pretty bad reviews from some critics (there weren't as many in those days); he wasn't even nominated for a Tony because of the whole question of whether he was overacting or not.  Joan Allen, who I have always liked, won an undeserved Tony; I always assumed that it was a consolation for not winning the Tony the year before for The Heidi Chronicles (she lost to Pauline Collins, who was great in Shirley Valentine, a very good role in a one-person play.

I dont remember if it was a good play; I do remember that it was a very enjoyable evening in the theatre.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#49Burn This Previews
Posted: 3/19/19 at 7:05am

Glad to hear the esrly reviews for this are strong. Any recommendation on seating for people who have seen the show?