pixeltracker

Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals

Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals

Mike66
#1Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/30/19 at 11:09pm

Whizzer (and those who have seen them all):

I can get to NYC this summer, but wont be able to see all of this year's April opening musicals in the time I have. Can you put them in 'ranking order', top to bottom.

Here's the list I've got (in alpha order)

Beetlejuice, Hadestown, Oklahoma, Tootsie

THANKS

mike

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/30/19 at 11:41pm

Hadestown

Tootsie

Oklahoma

Beetlejuice

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#3Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/30/19 at 11:43pm

I say the same as bjh, except I would space them differently...

Hadestown

Tootsie

Oklahoma

Beetlejuice

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ThreeSentencesOnly
#4Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/31/19 at 12:00am

• HADESTOWN

• OKLAHOMA

• BE MORE CHILL

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#5Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/31/19 at 12:35am

ThreeSentencesOnly said: "

• HADESTOWN

• OKLAHOMA

• BE MORE CHILL
"

You just joined and based on all your posts, 90% of the people on these board already find you ridiculously obnoxious. Chill out dude

Updated On: 3/31/19 at 12:35 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#6Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/31/19 at 1:56am

ThreeSentencesOnly said: "• BE MORE CHILL"

Not sure how that is a show opening in April, which is what is being ranked?

VivianDarkbloom2 Profile Photo
VivianDarkbloom2
#7Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/31/19 at 1:57pm

Finally, we get an expert opinion. 

Another day, another dollar is the reality of my mentality. Otherwise, don't even bother.- TLC

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#8Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/31/19 at 2:15pm

getupngo said: "You just joined and based on all your posts, 90% of the people on these board already find you ridiculously obnoxious. Chill out dude"

Only 90%? You’re being too kind. 

WhizzerMarvin
#9Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/31/19 at 2:15pm

What we need is an expert opinion from an expert, whether he exists or not. Now, on the other hand, if one could consult Voltaire...

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ThreeSentencesOnly
#10Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/31/19 at 3:51pm

getupngo said: "ThreeSentencesOnly said: "

You just joined and based on all your posts,90% of the people on these board already find you ridiculously obnoxious. Chill out dude
"

• 'I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing 

• than a hundred people's ninth favorite thing

• thanks for your feedback, getupngo

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#11Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/31/19 at 4:13pm

"What we need is an expert opinion from an expert, whether he exists or not. Now, on the other hand, if one could consult Voltaire..."

Well, we've always considered you our own Countess Aurelia...

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#12Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/31/19 at 4:48pm

ThreeSentencesOnly said: "• 'I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing"

That seems very optimistic.

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#13Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 3/31/19 at 7:33pm

dmwnc1959 said: "getupngo said: "You just joined and based on all your posts, 90% of the people on these board already find you ridiculously obnoxious. Chill out dude"

Only90%? You’re being too kind.

"

LOL laugh

j.garcia
#14Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 12:35pm

The spacing on Beetlejuice may have to be amended because of the serious rewrites that are happening as we speak. But I do agree that it belongs on the bottom of the list. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#15Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 12:48pm

j.garcia said: "The spacing on Beetlejuice may have to be amended because of the serious rewrites that are happening as we speak. But I do agree that it belongs on the bottom of the list."

Well, they were redoing it after DC, and in a pre-Broadway workshop, too, and none of those seemed to move the needle all that much so far...

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#16Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 1:16pm

haterobics said: "j.garcia said: "The spacing on Beetlejuice may have to be amended because of the serious rewrites that are happening as we speak. But I do agree that it belongs on the bottom of the list."

Well, they were redoing it after DC, and in a pre-Broadway workshop, too, and none of those seemed to move the needle all that much so far...
"

Exactly

Hamilfan2
#17Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 1:52pm

Hadestown is the event this season.  The other shows will be gone in a year or so, Hadestown is going to blow up.  It will be the Dear Evan Hansen/Hamilton of this season.  See it now with the original cast while you can still get tickets and before they raise their prices.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#18Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 2:24pm

No love for The Prom, Whizzer? Just curious. Cant say Ive seen all the musicals this season, only that and Pretty Woman. But I must say, The Prom may be the most heartwarming thing Ive seen on stage. Ive never felt so genuinely happy after seeing a show!!! Had too much fun, was surprised not see it on your list. 

WhizzerMarvin
#19Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 2:32pm

Mike, the OP only asked for the four shows listed to be ranked.

Out of the 11 new musicals this season, I would place The Prom at #3.

JSquared2
#20Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 2:54pm

Hamilfan2 said: "Hadestown is the event this season. The other shows will be gone in a year or so, Hadestown is going to blow up. It will be the Dear Evan Hansen/Hamilton of this season. See it now with the original cast while you can still get tickets and before they raise their prices."

Yeah -- and I remember hearing those same words from the Great Comet stans.  I predict Hadestown will have a similar trajectory.  A small, yet fervent group of followers who see the show 3x a week -- but little interest from the average theatregoer and no interest from the tourist market.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#21Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 3:30pm

JSquared2 said: "Yeah -- and I remember hearing those same words from the Great Comet stans. I predict Hadestown will have a similar trajectory. A small, yet fervent group of followers who see the show 3x a week -- but little interest from the average theatregoer and no interest from the tourist market."

I disagree. Hadestown has an extremely accessible, mass-appeal score, and Comet did not. That will make a huge difference in word of mouth among your average theatregoer. Other than the Rachel Chavkin connection (and I guess Amber Grey), I'm not sure why these two shows keep ending up in the same sentence. They're so, so different to me.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#22Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 3:42pm

JudyDenmark said: "

I disagree. Hadestown has anextremelyaccessible, mass-appeal score, and Comet did not. That will make a huge difference in word of mouth among your average theatregoer.Other than the Rachel Chavkin connection (and I guess Amber Grey), I'm not sure why these two shows keep ending up in the same sentence. They're so, so different to me.
"

I second this. Comet was cool..but during a lot of it I had no idea what was going on. This show actually has a story thats pretty easy to follow and can cross-over between theatrical stans and just a casual theatre-goer like Hamilton does.  

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

bear88
#23Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 4:04pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "Mike, the OP only asked for the four shows listed to be ranked.

Out of the 11 new musicals this season, I would place The Prom at #3.
"

So your new musical ranking would be Hadestown, Tootsie, and The Prom - in that order? Where would the revivals fall?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#24Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 4:37pm

JSquared2 said: "I predict Hadestown will have a similar trajectory. A small, yet fervent group of followers who see the show 3x a week -- but little interest from the average theatregoer and no interest from the tourist market."

The stans are working on overdrive then, since I can't even book a single seat for the date I was coming to NYC.

Updated On: 4/1/19 at 04:37 PM

WhizzerMarvin
#25Dear Whizzer -- Ranking this Year's Upcoming Musicals
Posted: 4/1/19 at 4:40pm

Yes, I would rank them

1. Hadestown
2. Tootsie
3. The Prom

If I could make the rules, these are the only three shows I would nominate for Best Musical. I don’t think any of the others are worthy of nomination. If I kept ranking down:

4. The Cher Show
5. Ain’t Too Proud
6. Head Over Heels
7. Beetlejuice
8. Pretty Woman
9. Be More Chill
10. King Kong
11. Gettin’ the Band Back Together

I would insert Kiss Me, Kate in the HOH area and Oklahoma!, well that one kind of defies ranking. Though I had some pretty big issues with it, the craft and actors make it something everyone should see and decide for themselves.

If people are coming to NY for a trip and only have time for four musicals, I would suggest Hadestown, Tootsie, Prom and Oklahoma. If they can add in plays/swap out for plays, then What the Constitution Means to Me and would be top contenders; Choir Boy was my favorite show of the year though, play or musical, and Jeremy Pope gave EASILY my favorite performance. (I’m excited to see Ink, as I heard good things.)

Videos