pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 3:06pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 3/31/2019 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: KING LEAR (7.2%), OKLAHOMA! (2.7%), MEAN GIRLS (2.2%), PRETTY WOMAN: THE MUSICAL (1.4%), KINKY BOOTS (0.8%), THE FERRYMAN (0.7%), GARY: A SEQUEL TO TITUS ANDRONICUS (0.4%), HILLARY AND CLINTON (0.4%), FROZEN (0.2%), HAMILTON (0.2%), ALADDIN (0.1%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance was: WHAT THE CONSTITUTION MEANS TO ME (-12.2%), BEAUTIFUL (-9.6%), CHICAGO (-6.5%), THE CHER SHOW (-4%), THE BAND'S VISIT (-2.8%), BURN THIS (-2.4%), ANASTASIA (-2.3%), HADESTOWN (-2.1%), KING KONG (-2%), AIN'T TOO PROUD (-1.8%), BE MORE CHILL (-1.7%), KISS ME, KATE (-1.6%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-1.1%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-0.9%), THE PROM (-0.5%), NETWORK (-0.4%), MY FAIR LADY (-0.4%), TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (-0.1%), WAITRESS (-0.1%), COME FROM AWAY (-0.1%), WICKED (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 3:37pm

I wonder how long King Kong is gonna survive with only making 50% of it's gross potential. Broadway is HUGE..I can only imagine how empty it probably looks during a show. 

Pretty Woman, Cher, Prom arent looking too hot either. I'm assuming they'er waiting until the Tonys to see it that helps

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 3:52pm

Beetlejuice did better than I thought. 100% seats sold and average ticket price of $122 (91% gross potential.) Wow! I hope they can keep it up. 

Jish
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 3:57pm

Wick3 said: "Beetlejuice did better than I thought. 100% seats sold and average ticket price of $122 (91% gross potential.) Wow! I hope they can keep it up."

One thing to note on this and Tootsie (and a few other shows recently) is that their first week on the list just encompasses two weekend performances which tend to sell the best...

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 4:01pm

Jish said: "Wick3 said: "Beetlejuice did better than I thought. 100% seats sold and average ticket price of $122 (91% gross potential.) Wow! I hope they can keep it up."

One thing to note on this and Tootsie (and a few other shows recently) is that their first week on the list just encompasses two weekend performances which tend to sell the best...
"

Very true. A month ago I watched CHICAGO on a Saturday night and it was sold out (standing room only) yet when I saw the grosses for that week the attendance was 68% or something like that. I agree with you. I'm sure some are comps as well so thats why I was surprised to see the high avg paid price.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 5:15pm

I was at the Cher Show last Weds. Between the orchestra and mezzanine the theatre was half empty. I hope the change of seasons helps it’s attendance.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 5:30pm

It's the same situation with The Cher Show. They sell out on the weekends, but play to only 50-60% capacity on weeknights. Hopefully with Spring break coming, they'll see a boost.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jarethan
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 5:51pm

The thing that amazes me is just how many shows are playing to capacity.  According to my calculations, 28% of all shows played to capacity, another 27% played to at least 98% of capacity.  I recognize that a good number of the shows have discounts, etc.  But that has been the case forever, when discounted shows grossed enough to sustain slightly longer runs, not to sell out.  

If I contrast this to the days when I started attending the theatre, there were times when not a single show sold out week after week, there were times when maybe 3 did, e.g., Dolly, Fiddler and Funny Girl, but the rest were, I remember being amazed (and I am excluding Christmas week from this generalization) when 4 or  5 shows did that well.  (Plus, Christmas week followed the week beforeChristmas, which was deadly for most shows).

Given the absurdity of ticket prices (which are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE -- even adjusted for inflation -- than they were in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s), this amazes me happily.  

I assume the reasons for this are:  ease of purchasing tickets, due to automation (once upon a time, you had two options: go to the box office or write to the theatre, enclosing a check); Times Square Renaissance; TV ads; Sunday matinees (vs.Monday nights across the board); and Tourism..  Does anyone think there are other reasons?

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 6:21pm

Jarethan said: "The thing that amazes me is just how many shows are playing to capacity. According to my calculations, 28% of all shows played to capacity, another 27% played to at least 98% of capacity. I recognize that a good number of the shows have discounts, etc. But that has been the case forever, when discounted shows grossed enough to sustain slightly longer runs, not to sell out.

If I contrast this to the days when I started attending the theatre, there were times when not a single show sold out week after week, there were times when maybe 3 did, e.g., Dolly, Fiddler and Funny Girl, but the rest were, I remember being amazed (and I am excluding Christmas week from this generalization) when 4 or 5 shows did that well. (Plus, Christmas week followed the week beforeChristmas, which was deadly for most shows).

Given the absurdity of ticket prices (which are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE -- evenadjusted for inflation --than they were in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s), this amazes me happily.

I assume the reasons for this are: ease of purchasing tickets, due to automation (once upon a time, you had two options: go to the box office or write tothe theatre, enclosing a check); Times Square Renaissance; TV ads; Sunday matinees (vs.Monday nights across the board); andTourism.. Does anyone think there are other reasons?
"

I truly never thought about how people from out of town purchased tickets prior to online abilities.  Was your only option if you were out of town was to write to the theater?   Could you call?  

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 6:27pm

Decided to research the history of selling tickets, found this gem about the first "discount ticket broker"

https://www.nytix.com/articles/joe-leblang-the-original-discount-broadway-ticket-service

Jarethan
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 6:31pm

You couldn't call the theatre.  If you ever got through (which you actually could do), they told you to send a note asking for the performance / date / seating area you wanted, a check, and a self-addressed envelope which they used to mail your tickets.  Not kidding.  I imagine you still got your tickets if you didn't, but who wanted to take a chance.

Ticket Brokers were also more prominent in those days, so you presumably could contact one, but that was just going to jack up the prices a lot more (as a percentage) than the on-line service charges we have today.  Of course, if you were a businessman entertaining clients, that was the way to go.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 7:04pm

When my family visited NYC back in the early 90s, my parents used the hotel concierge to get tickets to The Secret Garden and Joseph and the Amazing Tecnicolor Dreamcoat. My father told me tickets were slightly higher (like 10-15% higher) compared to face value prices but not like the crazy prices scalpers post on stubhub nowadays. Also, back then there were no premium priced seats. Orchestra level (including center orchestra) back in the 90s was $65... so by using the hotel concierge, they'd price it at $75-$80.

I think one of the main reasons is safety. Times Sq has changed so much since the early 90s. 

goodlead
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 7:19pm

What amazes me is how long some of these shows go.  Hasn't everyone who wants to see Phantom or Chicago seen it?  Are there that many repeat customers?

Similarly, in days gone by when a movie of a still-running play came out, the play shuttered.  Immediately.  Now we've had the movie versions of Phantom, Rent, Les  Miz, Chicago, etc., and they haven't dampened attendance at the legit version; they've boosted it.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 7:39pm

Phantom has reached the level where it is a NYC institution. When I have friends visiting NYC for the first time, they all recognize Phantom and Lion King and it's a good show to say it was your first bway show.

Whenever I've gone to see Phantom, Lion King, Wicked, or CHICAGO (having lived in NYC for over 10 years, I've seen each of them a number of times), I'd say over half are NYC tourists who are seeing their first Broadway show. Also, a good number are student groups too. It's something that's recognized around the world that when they go home and show photos, their friends back home would be familiar with those shows.

Jarethan
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/1/19 at 7:40pm

Phantom has settled into such a pattern that I fully expect it to be alive in a decade.  Re Chicago, last year was its highest grossing ever (of course, its breakeven must go up every years no idea if it is making $$, but assume it at least broke even.  This years grosses to date are down by almost 10% from last year, which can't good news.  Wonder if this is just temporary or the beginning of the end.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/2/19 at 8:52am

I assume they will keep King Kong around until The Music Man wants the Broadway in 2020.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/2/19 at 9:47am

Vespertine1228 said: "I assume they will keep King Kong around until The Music Man wants the Broadway in 2020."

You’re buggin’

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

bowtie7
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/2/19 at 9:57am

Jarethan said: "You couldn't call the theatre. If you ever got through (which you actually could do), they told you to send a note asking for the performance / date / seating area you wanted, a check, and a self-addressed envelope which they used to mail your tickets. Not kidding. I imagine you still got your tickets if you didn't, but who wanted to take a chance.

I feel so old--for my first visit to Broadway, I remember sending a letter to the box office with the date and time, a check and a return envelope--and then waiting to see where my seats would be when they came in the mail weeks later. (but I don't think I paid any fees--those were the days)

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/2/19 at 10:31am

Vespertine1228 said: "I assume they will keep King Kong around until The Music Man wants the Broadway in 2020."

Or west side story

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jarethan
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/2/19 at 10:56am

The way they are wasting money leads me to believe they have a magic lantern.  Who knows, they may run it until Kinky Boots is revived.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/2/19 at 11:24am

If WEST SIDE needs a large musical house, the Broadway or Winter Garden are the only two options. The Broadway may be available first, though the Winter Garden is probably more desirable.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/2/19 at 11:30am

goodlead said: "What amazes me is how long some of these shows go. Hasn't everyone who wants to see Phantom or Chicago seen it? Are there that many repeat customers?
"

I work literally right across the street from Phantom and the only people I see lining up for shoes each night are really big school groups. Like 100's of teenagers. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?
Updated On: 4/2/19 at 11:30 AM

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/2/19 at 11:30am

SomethingPeculiar said: "If WEST SIDE needs a large musical house, the Broadway or Winter Garden are the only two options. The Broadway may be available first, though the Winter Garden is probably more desirable."

I believe WSS is heavily rumored for the Winter Garden. Of course, that depends on Beetlejuice. With tickets going on sale for groups this June, Id assume we'll know a theatre by then. Im still guessing the Shubert with Mockingbird closing around June 2020. 

JSquared2
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/2/19 at 11:40am

Mike Barrett said: "I believe WSS is heavily rumored for the Winter Garden. Of course, that depends on Beetlejuice. With tickets going on sale for groups this June, Id assume we'll know a theatre by then. Im still guessing the Shubert with Mockingbird closing around June 2020."

The Shubert's next tenant will be THE MUSIC MAN.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/31/19
Posted: 4/2/19 at 12:17pm

It's not uncommon for group sales to begin before the theatre announcement –– Mockingbird did that, too. But the general on-sale for Music Man wouldn't be able to occur without a theatre announcement.