Virginia Woolf Revival

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 1:00pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Wasn't A View From the Bridge co-produced by Lincoln Center Theater?"

LCT was a co-producer on View, Glass, and Mockingbird. But that doesn’t really mean anything, they were still commercial productions.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 1:02pm

Rudin has always had a mix of big lucrative productions (Hello Dolly, Book of Mormon, Mockingbird) and prestige productions. He is successful enough to be able to attract backing for both. Obviously he’d like everything to be a massive hit, but he knows that is impossible and is in a place where he can gamble on riskier properties.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/13/19 at 01:02 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 2:30pm

Like others have said, I guess I’ll go see it but I can’t muster up an ounce of excitement for yet another revival of this play when there are so many others that deserve to be seen again.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#28Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 3:06pm

For me, the great joy of seeing Metcalf as Nora and Hillary was both the surprise of her performance, but also the freshness of the writing. I can see her Martha in my head, and while I'm sure she'll be great, it's hard to be the "definitive" Martha. 

Izzard actually has the most to prove here. This is a departure for him as a stage performer, and he's following in the footsteps of TWO recent Tony winners, Tracy Letts and Bill Irwin. But I would imagine Rudin did a reading of the play with he and Metcalf (like Sutton Foster in Music Man).

VintageSnarker
#29Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 3:51pm

I might actually see a play ON Broadway again. This would be my first time seeing the play and I haven't even seen the movie so I'm game. 

UncleCharlie
#30Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 4:30pm

And the Lord said let there be a revival of Woolf every 7-8 years.

The last production was so good, Tracy Letts' performance so transcendent and iconic, just not seeing the need for this at all.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. The role feels so against type for Izzard and he is such a thoughtful and intelligent performer, seeing what he does with it especially with the memory of Letts still fresh in the minds of many is the only thing I can see making this even remotely interesting.

carnzee
#31Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 4:59pm

I've never seen it live, just the movie and Imelda's broadcast, and I've always regretted not seeing the last revival, so this is thrilling news to me.

I remember the rumor about Metcalf and Nathan Lane doing Salesman, and now I'm trying to see Lane as George. Talk about casting against type.

Campbell5
#32Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 6:01pm

I agree regarding The Goat but seeing Metcalf as Martha a deceptive woman hiding her feelings and secrets and treating her husband appallingly.  Count me in!  I last saw this in London with an amazing Diana Rigg.

Stephen75
#33Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 8:17pm

This is so exciting! 

Laurie is the gift that keeps on giving. I think this has potential to be really thrilling. You have Laurie, the only American actor in the show. And I do wonder if there is a queer element to the production Mantello is going for with the casting of Izzard and Tovey and the Wojnarowicz art. 

Broadway61004
#34Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 9:05pm

2004-2005 season: Revivals of Glengarry Glen Ross and Virginia Woolf.

2012-2013 season: Revivals of Glengarry Glen Ross and Virginia Woolf.

2019-2020 season: (Theoretically) Revivals of Glengarry Glen Ross and Virginia Woolf.

Funny how those two shows keep coming up together....

Joviedamian
#35Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 11:08pm

This sounds like it's a wish list role for Metcalf. I am exciting for it though even though it is too soon.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#36Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 11:11pm

I know we just had a revival, but I never get sick of this play. Metcalf is going to be absolutely incredible.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#37Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 11:13pm

I’m trying to figure out what makes people tick about Tracy Letts in the last revival. Don’t get me wrong, it was a damn good show, but I enjoyed them as an ensemble and wasn’t knocked out by any performance in particular.

The only notable thing I remember is Letts winning the Tony over the likes of Nathan Lane, Tom Hanks, and David Hyde Pierce

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#38Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 11:20pm

With the director and Mercalf, I’m excited, but why not an American cast? It’s not like those names are going to sell tickets more?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#39Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 11:28pm

This production has been workshopped. I have faith it will be spectacular.

Despite seeing the recent West End revival and the last Broadway revival in both Chicago and New York, I’m so dang excited for this.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#40Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/13/19 at 11:51pm

Also with Miriam Buether as the set designer, do you think we should expect another set with a purple carpet? Kidding. I do love her work and I'm hoping her and Mantello to go a different and unexpected route with the design.

bk
#41Virginia Woolf Revival
Posted: 4/14/19 at 12:39am

Imagine three American actors going to the UK to do a four-person British play with British characters.  What do you think the reaction would be?  So, the real question is how much did Mr. Rudin pay Equity to make this happen, because it really is ridiculous.