Give Santino Fontana the Tony.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#1Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/6/19 at 10:54pm

I usually dont post stuff like this, but WOW. Santino man, you were incredible. So seamless, it almost seem unimpressive and natural, THAT is how strong he was. I admit I have not seen every nominated actor, but I really hope Santino pulls it out!!!

also PS, James Corden was there tonight. Met him, and he was quite kind. A lot of people went up to him and he gave everyone the time of day when he didnt need to. Impressed.

Overall, need a fun night out? Go see Tootsie.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/6/19 at 11:02pm

Eh. I think he’s fine. Having seen some GREAT performances, I think this is good in a weak category. I wish it was a more powerhouse role vocally, but I hated all the falsetto.

rg7759
#3Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/6/19 at 11:10pm

DO NOT give him the Tony.

Mike Barrett
#4Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/6/19 at 11:19pm

Well, we can agree to disagree lol. It’s not a powerhouse role
I admit, but man, he was so good. Such seamless transition

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#5Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/6/19 at 11:23pm

I thought his acting as Michael Dorsey was not natural, at all. During most of the line readings that were taken directly from the screenplay, I kept thinking about how much better Dustin Hoffman was. Santino's delivery was straight out of a sitcom.

Broadwaybri2
#6Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/6/19 at 11:33pm

I disagree. Give brooks the tony. I really don’t understand the tootsie love, I hardly laughed. Thought music was forgettable.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 12:01am

I don’t think it’s a slam dunk but he will win. Brooks is sooo good

Zion24
#8Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 12:12am

Well, he GONNA get the Tony so no worries there. Whether he deserves it..... he certainly wasn't bad, and he carries the show in a demanding role, but some of the accolades are over the top. If anything, I give him credit for allowing the impeccable supporting cast a chance to (out)shine.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#9Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 12:33am

Mike Barrett said: "Well, we can agree to disagree lol. It’s not a powerhouse role
I admit, but man, he was so good. Such seamless transition
"

How can "Tootsie" not be a powerhouse role in TOOTSIE?

Talk about "damning with faint phrase"!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#10Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 1:07am

He nails the Dorothy character, but the book is so weak. His Michael is passable at best.

He'd get no Tony love on a stronger season.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#11Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 1:44am

I think it's a strong season for musicals, but regardless, he blows everyone else out of the water. The Tony is his, as it should be.  

Updated On: 6/7/19 at 01:44 AM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#12Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 2:38am

I think Damon Daunno should win for his incredible reinvention of Curly. His musicality is gorgeous, but his natural, realistic acting was sublime and deeply refreshing.

I liked Santino, but Daunno is my favorite performance in that category.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#13Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 2:38am

Give him the Tony and then give him a big kiss on the cheek from me!

bear88
#14Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 3:21am

GeorgeandDot said: "I think Damon Daunno should win for his incredible reinvention of Curly. His musicality is gorgeous, but his natural, realistic acting was sublime and deeply refreshing.

"

I didn't see Beetlejuice so I can't comment on Alex Brightman's performance. But I saw the other four and enjoyed them all. (It's what makes awards so silly at a certain point; the actors are asked to do different things.)

That said, Daunno stood out, for me. His Curley is a performance I will remember. For all his bravado, his character comes across as being far less sure of himself than I was expecting. His chemistry with Rebecca Naomi Jones' Laurey is palpable, and his musicianship is first-rate.

But Fontana did a fine job with the material he was given. To the extent his delivery was out of a sitcom, that's because Robert Horn's book is basically a sitcom (a well-written one, by and large).

rg7759
#15Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 8:04am

Damon has forever captured my heart. But realistically I hope it's essentially a 3 way Damon, Brooks or Derrick

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#16Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 8:13am

GeorgeandDot said: "I think Damon Daunno should win for his incredible reinvention of Curly. His musicality is gorgeous, but his natural, realistic acting was sublime and deeply refreshing.

"

Agreed. And while we're on the topic, still not sure how Patrick Vaill was overlooked. He would've been my choice in that category.

MyLife
#17Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 8:54am

Put me in the Damon camp too.

Santino was passable but largely forgettable in a title role, which does not a Tony winner make.

Brooks was the one thing I despised about the Prom. I found his performance to be exactly how I have seen him play every other role he's ever done - overly hammy and cringe-worthy.

Alex also played himself, with different colored wigs. In fact, he was too over the top and performs the role with this growl that makes it difficult to understand what he was saying.I give him for with the amount of energy he puts into the role and for his comedic timing.

Haven't seen Ain't Too Proud so can't comment on Derrick.

But Damon just blew me away. I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about him outside this board. His Curly is honest yet mysterious, vulnerable yet bold. I loved everything about him.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#18Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 8:54am

Mike Barrett said: "I admit I have not seen every nominated actor, but ..."

That sort of derails the praise, no? He is better than whatever nominees you have seen?

Mike Barrett
#19Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 9:19am

haterobics said: "Mike Barrett said: "I admit I have not seen every nominated actor, but ..."

That sort of derails the praise, no? He is better than whatever nominees you have seen?
"

In terms of predicting, sure. But I can’t praise a performance I saw just because I haven’t seen the others? I still saw Santino, and it was one of the strongest performances I have ever seen, personally. So no praise is taken away because I haven’t seen the other performances, no. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#20Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 9:29am

Mike Barrett said: "haterobics said: "Mike Barrett said: "I admit I have not seen every nominated actor, but ..."

"

In terms of predicting, sure. But I can’t praise a performance I saw just because I haven’t seen the others? I still saw Santino, and it was one of the strongest performances I have ever seen, personally. So no praise is taken away because I haven’t seen the other performances, no.
"

You open yourself up to this kind of criticism by creating a new thread for your opinion, which could just as easily have gone into a number of other existing threads. 

Mike Barrett
#21Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 9:37am

CT2NYC said: "Mike Barrett said: "haterobics said: "Mike Barrett said: "I admit I have not seen every nominated actor, but ..."

"

"

You open yourself up to this kind of criticism by creating a new thread for your opinion, which could just as easily have gone into a number of other existing threads.
"

I thought adding in that the host of the Tony’s this Sunday was there was worth another thread, but apparently not.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#22Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 9:42am

Really?  I'm sure he's been showing up at LOTS of the nominated shows this week - the hosts usually do.  That's how my kids met NPH, at Shrek.  That would have been even LESS of a reason to start a new thread.

You are allowed your opinion, certainly, but it's the opinion of most people going in.  (I haven't seen the show yet, so don't have an opinion on this particular award.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mike Barrett
#23Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 9:48am

Believe me, with the snark on this board, I won’t bother starting any thread ever again!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#24Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 11:32am

Mike Barrett said: "I can’t praise a performance I saw just because I haven’t seen the others? I still saw Santino, and it was one of the strongest performances I have ever seen, personally. So no praise is taken away because I haven’t seen the other performances, no."

Well, you are giving him the Tony, not just praising his performance. So that would seem to require seeing all nominees, one would think.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#25Give Santino Fontana the Tony.
Posted: 6/7/19 at 11:35am

Mike Barrett said: "Believe me, with the snark on this board, I won’t bother starting any thread ever again!"

That is the thought process anyone should have when starting a new thread here. Should I even bother? That's the level of reticence we need! Give Santino Fontana the Tony.