pixeltracker

Slave Play coming to Broadway in September?- Page 9

Slave Play coming to Broadway in September?

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#200Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 12:34pm

The Golden Theater has 804 seats. If they had a single performance where not a single white person attended, it can still be a FULLY diverse audience.

There are a huge range of people and experiences where white is not the default.

Updated On: 9/17/19 at 12:34 PM

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#201Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 12:44pm

Having a minority race that has been constantly mistreated in America, to the point their justice system works against them, their police work against them, and hell, their current president works against them. <<edited by BWW staff>> Nothing like white people getting all worked up over minorities having something for themselves. <<edited by BWW staff>>  Holy hell. Having this be a one race only night, for a race that is not represented enough, does not go to the theatre enough, and is not represented in starring roles enough, is frankly diversity. If you have an issue with this, again, I simply don't know what to tell you. Its 1 out of 8 performances this week, during previews. <<edited by BWW staff>>  

Updated On: 9/17/19 at 12:44 PM

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#202Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 1:03pm

NievesG said: "joevitus said: "haterobics said: "uncageg said: "What is the event?"

slaveplaybroadway.com/blackout
"

Nothing speaks to diversity like excluding all otherracial groups!
"

The page literally says "come join us" and there are several seats for sale to the public, as far as I can tell. What's your point now?
"

That performance isn't on sale to the general public - it isn't listed on the show's website. You have to have that private link to purchase tickets.

MemorableUserName
#203Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 3:07pm

52889j said: "MemorableUserName said: "Has Mr. Harris given his thoughts on the woman who was evidently masturbating to Tom Hiddleston's performance in Betrayal? Surely he would argue she was just "living" and engaging with the play?

https://pagesix.com/2019/09/16/did-a-woman-orgasm-during-tom-hiddlestons-broadway-show/
"

Indeed he did!https://twitter.com/jeremyoharris/status/1173702268312576001?s=21
"

Thanks. Good to know where he draws the line on living and engaging with the play (though he's willing to be convinced otherwise?).

Updated On: 9/17/19 at 03:07 PM

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#204Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 3:13pm

The page literally says "come join us" and there are several seats for sale to the public, as far as I can tell. What's your point now?"

It LITERALLY also says "The 804 seats of Broadway's Golden Theatre will be occupied by an audience of black identified artists, writers, and students".  Honor "our history". This is obviously something that can't be enforced but if they turn people away or don't honor people's tickets who are not black, then it's illegal. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#205Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 3:16pm

Pose2 said: "The page literally says "come join us" and there are several seats for sale to the public, as far as I can tell. What's your point now?"

It LITERALLY also says "The 804 seats of Broadway's Golden Theatre will be occupied by an audience of black identified artists, writers, and students". Honor "our history". This is obviously something that can't be enforced but if they turn people away or don't honor people's tickets who are not black, then it's illegal.
"

But turning people away from restaurants, hotels, bus seats, train cars, and elevators if you were black was legal in many places not too long ago. So I don't see the problem with this. 

JSquared2
#206Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 3:28pm

poisonivy2 said: "It LITERALLY also says "The 804 seats of Broadway's Golden Theatre will be occupied by an audience of black identified artists, writers, and students". Honor "our history". This is obviously something that can't be enforced but if they turn people away or don't honor people's tickets who are not black, then it's illegal."

But turning people away from restaurants, hotels, bus seats, train cars, and elevators if you were black was legal in many places not too long ago. So I don't see the problem with this.
"

So your solution is to solve racism and discrimination with MORE racism and discrimination?

kmissa
#207Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 3:34pm

This thread is a total mess, lol. Black woman mentions being rightfully offended by this show and was told to gtfo. Now playwright is implying criticism of phones during show is racist?! Was blackout night being advertised before? Maybe it’s just last min way to sell tickets.

Mike Barrett
#208Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 3:34pm

This is 1 performance celebrating black artists, what on earth is the problem with you people? Is that really such an awful thing?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#209Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 3:37pm

JSquared2 said: "poisonivy2 said: "It LITERALLY also says "The 804 seats of Broadway's Golden Theatre will be occupied by an audience of black identified artists, writers, and students". Honor "our history". This is obviously something that can't be enforced but if they turn people away or don't honor people's tickets who are not black, then it's illegal."

"

So your solution is to solveracism and discriminationwith MORE racism and discrimination?
"

There's no racism and discrimination. This is a special show, sort of like Actor's Fund, and it's one night only. And there's no hard and fast rule that you can't buy tickets unless you are black. FYI many companies have special performances for certain groups. NYCB does student performances where schools around NYC are taken to watch performances. The Met Opera often opens up dress rehearsals to schools for field trips. It's just being marketed a certain way. It's not like "go to the back of the bus" which was actual legal discrimination. This is just one performance that is being marketed towards black writers. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#210Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 3:48pm

This one-night "BLACKOUT" special event is a wonderful idea.  A play dealing with BLACK issues, written by a BLACK man and performed for a BLACK-identified audience for ONE night.  I think it will be very empowering, especially for the students.  Broadway at its best.  Good on you, Mr Harris!  

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 9/17/19 at 03:48 PM

Mike Barrett
#211Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 3:57pm

Highland Guy said: "This one-night "BLACKOUT" special event is a wonderful idea. A play dealing with BLACK issues, written by a BLACK man and performed for a BLACK-identified audience for ONE night. I think it will be very empowering, especially for the students. Broadway at its best. Good on you, Mr Harris!"

I couldn’t agree more!!! This is so wonderful!! 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#212Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 4:06pm

Highland Guy said: "This one-night "BLACKOUT" special event is a wonderful idea. A play dealing with BLACK issues, written by a BLACK man and performed for a BLACK-identified audience for ONE night. I think it will be very empowering, especially for the students. Broadway at its best. Good on you, Mr Harris!"

Seems like the biggest issue is getting people to buy tickets... or, more likely, to know about the event.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#213Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 4:21pm

Updated On: 9/17/19 at 04:21 PM

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#214Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 4:27pm

I think anyone who is a member of a minority knows that around those who "other" you, you change the way you behave. Having a play on Broadway, a primarily white space, host a night where black audiences (the intended audience of the play) can put that aside sounds like a breath of fresh air.

smidge
#215Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 4:36pm

Does anyone know if this performance was always scheduled? I assumed it was an added performance for the promotion. Mr. Harris provided a link to the promotion on social media a couple of days ago. I don’t know if there were any email notifications though.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#216Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 4:41pm

smidge said: "Does anyone know if this performance was always scheduled? I assumed it was an added performance for the promotion. Mr. Harris provided a link to the promotion on social media a couple of days ago. I don’t know if there were any email notifications though."

It's not on the official website's show calendar, so it looks like it was recently added.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#217Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 4:44pm

Mike Barrett said: "Highland Guy said: "This one-night "BLACKOUT" special event is a wonderful idea. A play dealing with BLACK issues, written by a BLACK man and performed for a BLACK-identified audience for ONE night. I think it will be very empowering, especially for the students. Broadway at its best. Good on you, Mr Harris!"

"

There was no need for all black-only audience with Raison in the Sun, A Soldier's Play, The Wiz, Purlie Victorious, Hadestown. There is never a need to keep any group out your theater, if your show's any good. But if you need buzz to help a second rate show survive, then an air of exclusivity and the word-of-mouth it brings may be necessary. How strange to hear people praising segregation as "Broadway at its best." 

Updated On: 9/17/19 at 04:44 PM

kmissa
#218Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 5:07pm

I don't think black ppl were the intended audience. This seems like a ploy to sell tickets. The same way he gave free tickets to the dress. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#219Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 5:08pm

joevitus said: "Mike Barrett said: "Highland Guy said: "This one-night "BLACKOUT" special event is a wonderful idea. A play dealing with BLACK issues, written by a BLACK man and performed for a BLACK-identified audience for ONE night. I think it will be very empowering, especially for the students. Broadway at its best. Good on you, Mr Harris!"

"

There wasno need for allblack-only audiencewith Raison in the Sun, A Soldier's Play, The Wiz, Purlie Victorious, Hadestown. There is never aneed to keep any group out your theater,if your show's any good. Butif you need buzz to helpa second rate show survive, thenan air of exclusivity and the word-of-mouth it brings may be necessary. How strange to hear people praising segregation as "Broadway at its best."
"

This is not segregation. Segregation is being told to go to the back of the bus. You can buy a ticket right now on telecharge. It’s just (gasp!) a promotional code. Now if you’re not comfortable with an audience that might be more diverse than the average Broadway audience then that’s your problem.

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#220Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 5:11pm

“black audiences (the intended audience of the play)“

Wait, do plays have “intended audiences” now? Did I miss that memo? Is Fiddler only for Jews? The Inheritance only for gays?

JSquared2
#221Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 5:23pm

poisonivy2 said: This is not segregation. Segregation is being told to go to the back of the bus. You can buy a ticket right now on telecharge. It’s just (gasp!) a promotional code. Now if you’re not comfortable with an audience that might be more diverse than the average Broadway audience then that’s your problem."

You might want to look up the definition of the word "diverse".  I do not think it means what you think it means.

Mike Barrett
#222Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 5:28pm

joevitus said: "Mike Barrett said: "Highland Guy said: "This one-night "BLACKOUT" special event is a wonderful idea. A play dealing with BLACK issues, written by a BLACK man and performed for a BLACK-identified audience for ONE night. I think it will be very empowering, especially for the students. Broadway at its best. Good on you, Mr Harris!"

"

There wasno need for allblack-only audiencewith Raison in the Sun, A Soldier's Play, The Wiz, Purlie Victorious, Hadestown. There is never aneed to keep any group out your theater,if your show's any good. Butif you need buzz to helpa second rate show survive, thenan air of exclusivity and the word-of-mouth it brings may be necessary. How strange to hear people praising segregation as "Broadway at its best."
"

Oh please. This is 1 show, out of 8 this week, for a run from September to January. Get off your high horse, they’re trying to celebrate and promote black artists. Tell me, what’s your problem with that?

Segregation? Jesus Christ. You can buy a  ticket yourself. Segregation is having a separate bathroom that is not as well kept as the white bathroom, or going to the back of the bus, or having to drink different and not as clean water, not be able to vote, or have to worry about people like you who continue to suppress their freedom, and treat them differently or not as equal. It’s one freaking night. Go tomorrow if you want. But this is in no way Segregation. That’s a new low for this board, and for you. 

Impossible2
#223Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 5:33pm

This thread is a MESS!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#224Slave Play coming to Broadway in September!
Posted: 9/17/19 at 5:36pm

This is no different than any other event that is specifically targeted to a specific demographic group. No one is being prevented from attending even if they aren’t the targeted audience- that would be discrimination. The producers are clearly trying to make the production targeted and accessible to an audience group that has been historically poorly served by Broadway.

Everyone needs to chill the **** out or at the very least see the play that they’re playing straight into the hype trap for.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."