Betrayal Previews

ArtMan
#25Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 9:39am

That crowd is a lot bigger than I thought it would be.  Marvel fans.  While some of you have D8 if anyone has D7 can you report back.?  I'm not calling Telecharge and get my ticket exchanged.  I will wait until day of the show if I need to do anything.  I don't see this doing 100% capacity so there should be available seats for the HM to move to, even if it's further back.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#26Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 9:56am

Reading all these reports, I just looking at a random date in October, and I didn't realize at D2-4 are $240, D6 is $159, and D8-10 are $25 - I didn't realize this crazy pricing was going on. I guess if it's too good to be true, it probably is?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#27Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 10:05am

Not surprised with that crowd, Marvel movies are the biggest films out there right now and he's been in 3 very big ones in the last year and a half or so. Plus his new tv series next year. Not shocked by that crowd. Main question is how many actually saw the show.... 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#28Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 10:28am

I would like to get back to reports of the production itself (although I prefer no spoilers - I want to know very little going in). But imma say this first - I called Telecharge just now and went through the same process I did Tuesday, this time to switch back to my right mezzanine A26 PV seat. I told him about that orchestra seat being PV even though it’s not sold as such. He didn’t seem to have much to say about it (not really his call) and just processed it as a regular exchange. I have found everyone I’ve talked to at Telecharge to be cordial and very professional, him included.

And based on that stage door pic, I probably won’t stay to stage door for this one. Plus I’m seeing the Wednesday matinee and they don’t always stage door after matinees on two show days.

Okay back to reviews/reports.

Rainah
#29Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 12:26pm

angoradebs said: "When it comes to side orch, further back is better because the angle is less extreme, so you can see more of the stage. Is their view $144 better? Who knows? But I myself wouldn't over $100 for a 90 minute play no matter what, so for me 50% at $36 will beat out 85% at $169. But I think theatres should be more upfront about what you are buying. It is definitely a problem that they are not marking these seats as partial view. I'm only partially joking when I say: can't they just have someone whose job it is to sit in every seat as a person walks around the stage, and figure out if the view is obstructed?"

I mean, even in small local theatre when I direct we do this. Position people at various places in the theatre who call out when they can't see, so I can make small adjustments. Rachel Chavkin is particularly good at this imo

ArtMan
#30Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 2:38pm

cjmclaughlin10 said: "Can we PLEASE get back to discussing the actual performances. Maybe we can create a Betrayal Seating Thread...."

Uhm, I can't speak for the rest of the posters who are concerned about an obstructed view.  I can say, that I definitely am.  You know, I didn't post anything negatively when you bit**** about your Hadestown SRO ticket.  Why do you think it is okay for you to express an opinion/concern, but others can't?    Just curious.

Relevance81491
#31Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 3:09pm

the concerns of those who purchased those $25 seats are indeed valid.  All the more reason to start a seating thread so all that information is consolidated. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#32Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 4:04pm

And then some fool will will complain about clogging the forum with another thread related specific to Betrayal seating. But if it bothers you so much (and it clearly does) why not just start the thread you so much think should exist?

Updated On: 8/15/19 at 04:04 PM

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#33Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 4:56pm

Can a separate thread be created for seating discussion? This should be for reviews and we now have two pages of people discussing the $25 seats and only one review.

hollebolle
#34Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 5:03pm

I don’t have a problem with the seating discussion here, especially since there has been literally one preview performance.

But also, anyone who feels strongly that there should be a separate thread can just create one, rather than asking no one in particular in this thread to do so.

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#35Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 5:08pm

Seating discussion thread open:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1118599

You're welcome.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#36Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 5:22pm

Thank you Carmen.  Children, you can stop having your little tantrums.

BACK to the discussion about the actual show please. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#37Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/15/19 at 5:27pm

Pose2 said: "Thank you Carmen. Children, you can stop having your little tantrums.

BACK to the discussion about the actual show please.
"

i just imagined you saying that in Elektra’s voice  lol

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#38Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 12:04am

Saw the play tonight and liked it but didn't love it. Felt slow in places which I understand was intentional but ehhh. The acting was great from all three, so maybe I'm just not a fan of the piece. Based on the audience's response, they seemed to really love it.

NievesG Profile Photo
NievesG
#39Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 10:08am

I actually really enjoyed this. I understand where the ehh comes in for DramaTeach: the plot can be construed as rather pedestrian but I think this is where Pinter's use of dramatic irony really makes it work.

It started off a little tight but as soon as Hiddleston spoke, the show really started to propel itself. It was fun watching all three actors work off of each other's tension.

I really admired the use of the turntable staging here, it felt appropriate. There was a moment in particular where Emma and Jeremy pass Robert and their daughter and Ashton delivers a line at the moment that had me holding my breath. Also, I guess I'm visually spoiled with Broadway these days but the sparse staging was an interesting choice, neither positive or negative for me. 90 minutes, two chairs (sometimes three), a table, and a whole lot of drama.

As was mentioned in a review in Variety from the West End run: "the third party is always present." Perhaps that is the truest thing of infidelity and its fragility. Anyway, I think I'll be seeing this again before it closes.

(edit - spelling, always)

Updated On: 8/16/19 at 10:08 AM

TheaterGeek
#40Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 10:32am

For anyone wondering about the stage door, last night they barricaded off people who were there before the show got out (quite a few people were from the night before who didn't even get a shot that night because of the massive crowd). They then sectioned off the entire length of the sidewalk from the exit to the theater all the way to the end of the doors. Only ticket holders were allowed in that area. All 3 signed. Charlie and Tom signed for a ton of people and took a few selfies, although security said you could only take pics of them while they are signing. If you aren't in the front row of the barricade, pics aren't even an option. Zawe didn't sign nearly as much. The guards kept telling everyone to be calm, which although there was excitement for the actors, the fans were well behaved, no pushing and helping each other get stuff signed. Security also mentioned they will only sign stuff show related. Sorry this is just a stage door review, but I know people will find this helpful and at least they are reserving the barricades for people who actually saw the show that evening.

Sarah2
#41Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 11:44am

I've never done stage door but am a huge fan of Hiddleston.  Wondering if you could give some direction.  I am sitting in the very front row, Center Section, if facing the stage I am seated to the right of that center section on the isle.  I'd like to know what direction to head to get the best chance at stage door at plays end.  Thank for any assistance.

TheaterGeek
#42Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 1:12pm

There is only one set of exit doors which is how you also enter. It is sandwiched between two other theaters so the only way in or out is through the front entrance. I would get out as quickly as possible in order to get a spot.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#43Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 1:35pm

Who are the standbys? Nothing is on the website or anywhere else.

Also, did they seriously negotiate to have the British dude who played the Italian waiter in the London production transfer with the show? He came all the way across the Atlantic to say five lines?

Equity used to be much more strict about non-American actors doing Broadway shows. Do they just not care anymore? It's starting to seem like nowadays, to do a straight play on Broadway, you need to be either British or a well-known film actor - preferably both. Annoying.

NievesG Profile Photo
NievesG
#44Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 1:57pm

I think there was an insert that said the waiter was also the u/s for Jeremy? I will check when I get home, unless someone beats me to it.

The Distinctive Baritone
#45Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 2:08pm

That would make more sense...the waiter and understudies should have gone to American actors though IMO.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#46Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 2:31pm

* Or have gone to Yale or Julliard. 

NievesG Profile Photo
NievesG
#47Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 3:25pm

Ok, so, yes the waiter is Eddie Arnold (British), billed as the u/s for Jerry and Robert.

Per the insert --
Dylan S. Wallach (Carnegie Mellon alum) is the u/s for Waiter, Jerry, and Robert
&
Jesmille Darbouze (also a Carnegie Mellon alum) is the u/s for Emma.

Updated On: 8/16/19 at 03:25 PM

The Distinctive Baritone
#48Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/16/19 at 7:20pm

RippedMan said: "* Or have gone to Yale or Julliard."

It's actually kind of amazing how many actors go to Juilliard and still can't even get themselves arrested afterwards. It's definitely not a career-maker anymore.

If the waiter is the first understudy for both men, I guess that makes more sense. When I did the show, the waiter understudied Robert, and I was an external understudy for both Jerry and the waiter. Having one person understudy both men seems like a lot to ask, but the play is only like 85 minutes long.

Damiensta
#49Betrayal Previews
Posted: 8/17/19 at 1:44am

Saw this tonite. Count me in the love love column. I was afraid before hand Bc previous experience with Pinther was that dreadful “Old Times” from Roundabout.

the empty set, the acting , direction were exceptional. The 90 min flew by. 

The orchestra was full tonite. Wouldn’t be surprised that once reviews come in that it will be hard tix to get. 

Also all three actors were equal footing. No one was better than the other.i even enjoyed the small part of waiter.

I know there is separate seating thread , but I will like to point out that even though I was in center orchestra. The action takes center stage. In first act the right side might miss actor standing in the back. But besides that I don’t think even with partial view you miss much. I’m wondering if the reblock after first preview .