pixeltracker

studio apartments in manhattan

studio apartments in manhattan

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 9/30/19 at 10:47pm

Is it possible to rent a studio apartment in manhattan for 1k or less a month? Looking to move into the city.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 9/30/19 at 11:02pm

In Manhattan? Not likely unless you’re wanting to live above 170th St.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#3studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 12:23am

Maybe - if you have a roommate in your studio apartment and you're splitting the rent in half.

Otherwise, not so much. My studio in East Harlem is $1600.

There are many apartment-hunting tools online - Apartments.com and StreetEasy.com are two popular ones. They'll show you pretty quickly the typical prices in different areas of the city. Updated On: 10/1/19 at 12:23 AM

UncleCharlie
#4studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 1:07am

Jordan Catalano said: "In Manhattan? Not likely unless you’re wanting to live above 170th St."

There aren't any there either. Many of the buildings above 170th are pre-war buildings (WW2) and were designed with 1 or 2 bedrooms primarily with families in mind as that area of the city expanded (and people got married and started families much sooner) but very few if any studio apartments. The ones there are probably go for $1500/mo. minimum.

Broadway Flash
#5studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 3:27am

I don't go above 90th street.  Trying to move closer to work, currently in Jersey. How much would a studio be in Hell's Kitchen or downtown?

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#6studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 4:40am

Above 170th st would be Washington Heights, where the average rent is $2500.

Perhaps doing research online and calling brokers would be more beneficial than asking on a Broadway message board. Manhattan is the most expensive borough in the most expensive city in America, and you will never find a studio anywhere for less than $1000 anywhere in it. My friend pays $3100 for his studio in the Financial District. Good luck.  

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#7studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 5:11am

Absolutely. Just Google "Places to get stabbed in NYC" and the listings will come right up! 

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#8studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 10:20am

Go to Brooklyn if you're looking to spend that amount, shouldn't have a problem past park slope really. Im desperate to move to NYC but price range is just absurd. Are there any spots in Harlem people think are realistic for below $1500 thats not terrible? Hard to get an idea on which areas to look into exactly, not really familiar with Harlem so thats why I ask. Don't want to totally derail from OP, though! 

Jordan Catalano
#9studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 10:31am

You might be able to get a studio in Hell’s Kitchen for around $1400 if you get lucky. A buddy of mine has a studio a couple blocks away from me in HK and he lays $2100 and it isn’t anything special.

ahhrealmonsters
#10studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 3:02pm

Broadway Flash said: "I don't go above 90th street. Trying to move closer to work, currently in Jersey. How much would a studio be in Hell's Kitchen or downtown?"

LOL You don't go above 90th Street? I've heard people not go above 125th, but 90th? Are we in 1970?

Anyway, a studio in Hell's Kitchen will set you back about $2k a month. More if you want an elevator and any amenities. The only area downtown that will be a little cheaper is Chinatown, but not much. Check out Streeteasy.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#11studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 4:19pm

Mike Barrett said: "Go to Brooklyn if you're looking to spend that amount, shouldn't have a problem past park slope really. Im desperate to move to NYC but price range is just absurd. Are there any spots in Harlem people think are realistic for below $1500 thats not terrible? Hard to get an idea on which areas to look into exactly, not really familiar with Harlem so thats why I ask. Don't want to totally derail from OP, though!"

You clearly don't live anywhere around the tri state area. The average rent in Brooklyn is $2940 and less than 7% of rent is below $1500 and 0% of rental are below $1000. Brooklyn is almost as expensive as Manhattan. The deep Bronx and deep Queens roughly 60 minutes from Manhattan where there are no subways for several miles? You may be able to get a room for a $1000. Prices aren't "absurb" for a city with everything and where everyone wants to be. 

Jordan Catalano
#12studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 4:26pm

If your budget is really only 1K a month and you’re set on living in Manhattan you’re going to need to find a place with at least 2-3 other people and most probably it will be above 125th St. Of course there’s always exceptions to that but you have to be realistic when searching. If you are just dead-set about living alone you’re going to need to look far out in Queens or Jersey City. Like others have said, Brooklyn rents have become as ridiculous as Manhattan but you might luck out if you look fat out there, too.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#13studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 6:30pm

Are there still SRO's available in Manhattan? That's single room occupancy apartments, basically a moderately sized room with a shared bathroom on the floor. I have known people in these places but even 15 years ago $1k was still pretty cheap and landlords fought hard to get the staus changed. I just moved to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn where a spacious 2 bedroom apartment is $2,500. Not too long of a commute on the R train to Manhattan. With a room mate you'd be living like a king!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#14studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 6:51pm

Pose2 said: "Mike Barrett said: "Go to Brooklyn if you're looking to spend that amount, shouldn't have a problem past park slope really. Im desperate to move to NYC but price range is just absurd. Are there any spots in Harlem people think are realistic for below $1500 thats not terrible? Hard to get an idea on which areas to look into exactly, not really familiar with Harlem so thats why I ask. Don't want to totally derail from OP, though!"

You clearly don't live anywhere around the tri state area. The average rent in Brooklyn is $2940 and less than 7% of rent is below $1500 and 0% of rental are below $1000. Brooklyn is almost as expensive as Manhattan. The deep Bronx and deep Queens roughly 60 minutes from Manhattan where there are no subways for several miles? You may be able to get a room for a $1000. Prices aren't "absurb" fora city with everything and where everyone wants to be.
"

Yes I don’t, as stated in my post. However I should have clarified, if he wants a roommate 1K should not be a problem in Brooklyn. I have looked myself 

Broadway Flash
veronicamae
#16studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 8:18pm

Mike Barrett said: "Go to Brooklyn if you're looking to spend that amount, shouldn't have a problem past park slope really. Im desperate to move to NYC but price range is just absurd. Are there any spots in Harlem people think are realistic for below $1500 thats not terrible? Hard to get an idea on which areas to look into exactly, not really familiar with Harlem so thats why I ask. Don't want to totally derail from OP, though!"

I'm in an East Harlem studio for $1600. I have no qualms about my area (the 106-110/1st-3rd neighborhood)

veronicamae
#17studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 8:23pm

Broadway Flash said: "https://www.apartments.com/250-w-90th-st-new-york-ny-unit-7b/s3wm916/

does this look legit to you guys?
"

lol if that's legit it's the find of the millennium.

525 sq ft, w/d IN-UNIT, gated outdoor space, furnished, pets allowed?!

You'll know it's fake if you contact them and they immediately state that they require a passport or deposit just to view the apartment. When that happens, you should immediately report the listing.

ahhrealmonsters
#18studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 8:27pm

Broadway Flash said: "https://www.apartments.com/250-w-90th-st-new-york-ny-unit-7b/s3wm916/

"

Not at all. A studio like that should run around $3000. I took a quick look on Streeteasy. Apt 6B, which is a 1 bedroom, rented at $3500 last year. There's a 0% chance that listing is legit.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#19studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 8:43pm

Here is the actual building, which is a condo building (all owned). When a one bedroom goes for $800,000 and a condo just sold for almost $3,000,000.......I'd say nah. 

Hire a broker. We can't help you. 

https://www.corcoran.com/nyc/Buildings/Display/3064

UncleCharlie
#20studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/1/19 at 9:37pm

ahhrealmonsters said: "Broadway Flash said: "https://www.apartments.com/250-w-90th-st-new-york-ny-unit-7b/s3wm916/

"

Not at all. A studio like that should run around $3000. I took a quick look on Streeteasy. Apt 6B, which is a 1 bedroom, rented at $3500 last year. There's a 0% chance that listing is legit.
"

It would also be very unusual with 6B being a one bedroom if the apartment directly above it 7B did not have the exact same floorplan and was not also a one bedroom, not a studio. Having different layouts on every floor would have made construction infinitely more difficult and costly and there would have really been no reason for them to do it. Doesn't make sense.

SouthernCakes
#21studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/2/19 at 4:30pm

Honestly just find a bedroom with roommates and figure it out once you’re here

ArtMan
#22studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/2/19 at 5:57pm

Geesh, those prices just for rental.  I'll take my 1500 sq foot condo, which I own, any day. Most important, no roomates.  Sure, where I live is boring, but  I went to one bar, when I was in NYC, Boxers, Chelsea.  There was maybe at the most, 15 people there, singing awful karaoke.

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#23studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:50pm

Forget about Manhattan and think New York City in general. Look into areas of Queens that have access to express subways. Six or eight stops and your at Rockefeller Center or 42nd Street.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#24studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/27/19 at 11:15pm

I dreamed of living in NYC in a studio apt. Have been living in Jersey City since I moved back here 8 years ago and am now glad I do. Quiet neighborhood. I get the city for work and going out and can come home to quietness. And much lower rent and lower cost of living. From my door to the city takes about 30 to 40 minutes. 

Just give the world Love.

Alex Kulak2
#25studio apartments in manhattan
Posted: 10/28/19 at 1:45pm

Where do most of the people working in the theatre in New York live? Do a fair amount of them live in Manhattan for conveniences sake, or do a lot commute from Jersey or something?