Hadestown prices

schubox
#25Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 12:33pm

RippedMan said: "I bought my ticket last minute - along with the entire rear Mezz for about $100 after fees on StubHub. Was the perfect view."

Same for me. I've seen it three times and the third time I jumped on StubHub about an hour before curtain and grabbed a ticket in the last row of the Mezz for about $100. I think it's Row H, if you look some scalper has a majority of that row for a lot of dates. I checked about 10 minutes before curtain that night and they were down to like $50. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#26Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 12:55pm

Seems like all the good deals are on stubhub last minute. Has anyone ever found a good price on Ticketmaster verified resale last minute?

kmissa
#27Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 1:08pm

inception said: "Was looking at what they are now charging for Hadestown tickets & kind of shocked. Mezzanine from $300 to $400.
I bought for December a couple days before the Tonys in June. At that time I had tried for one of the matinees on either the 24th or 27th ( it is one of the few shows with a Friday mat that week) but they were holding those dates back from sale. Reading trip reports got me thinking, "oh maybe I should see it twice while I'm there," so yesterday I looked to see what was available. The cheapest seats are now far back sides of mezz at $199.
I also bought Moulin Rouge, Tina, & Tootsie tickets at the same time in June. I haven't looked at what MR is going for now. And I really, really don't want to look at the average price of Tootsie tickets now! ;p
"

I’m not defending the pricing, but I think resellers buying whole rows and Ticketmaster using dynamic pricing helps keep them inflated. I’ve tracked stubhub this entire summer and there were entire rows left empty if ppl didn’t buy the tickets. They are def way too high, but if people are buying them then they will continue to be high until demand dies down. 

JSquared2
#28Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 1:11pm

Wick3 said: "Seems like all the good deals are on stubhub last minute. Has anyone ever found a good price on Ticketmaster verified resale last minute?"

I'm pretty sure that Ticketmaster Verified Resale doesn't let you list tickets at lower than face value -- so no "good" deals to be had really.

Joe Mayo
#29Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 1:15pm

schubox said: "RippedMan said: "I bought my ticket last minute - along with the entire rear Mezz for about $100 after fees on StubHub. Was the perfect view."

Same for me. I've seen it three times and the third time I jumped on StubHub about an hour before curtain and grabbed a ticket in the last row of the Mezz for about $100. I think it's Row H, if you look some scalper has a majority of that row for a lot of dates. I checked about 10 minutes before curtain that night and they were down to like $50.
"

Agreed, if you one is flexible on dates and willing to hang around the theater district, many of the shows drop to well below rack rate.

I think I saw Ain't Too Proud back in June in the mid orchestra for about $22/ticket.

Both the box office and the secondary market serve there purposes and for those that live in the area, the lotteries are always available, which just takes persistence. I've seen every show with the exception of Moulin Rouge and DEH through the lottery and almost all have given excellent seats. 

There are plenty of outlets to see broadway shows at affordable prices. Hadestown is capitalizing (and rightfully so) on the post Tony bump. We should all want these shows to be profitable as it drives more investment into future creative works.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#30Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 1:23pm

JSquared2 said: "Wick3 said: "Seems like all the good deals are on stubhub last minute. Has anyone ever found a good price on Ticketmaster verified resale last minute?"

I'm pretty sure that Ticketmaster Verified Resale doesn't let you list tickets at lower than face value -- so no "good" deals to be had really.

"

Thank you. I did not know that. If they have a limit on the lowest $$$ then perhaps a reasonable cap (like no more than 20%) may make sense. I do believe in supply/demand and a ticket/seat is only worth whatever price another person is willing to pay for it. 

Updated On: 10/1/19 at 01:23 PM

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#31Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 4:22pm

Hey there. Pulled some info I think you might find useful. Basically the U.S. runs on a capitalist system, where thepricesof goods, services and labor aredeterminedby supply and demand (i.e. if a lot of people want to buy a certain product, including theater tickets,itspricewill go up). You can read more here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism Hope this helps!"

Best.Response.Ever. 

Can't afford a luxury item? You can't go! Boo hoo! Welcome to REAL LIFE. 

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#32Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 4:28pm

Frankly I think these people are immoral and I wouldn't go to see it on principle...

They are interested in making money, people are willing to pay said money to see this incredible show, and I'm pretty sure they will survive without you.

UncleCharlie
#33Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 4:30pm

Pose2 said: "Hey there. Pulled some info I think you might find useful. Basically the U.S. runs on a capitalist system, where thepricesof goods, services and labor aredeterminedby supply and demand (i.e. if a lot of people want to buy a certain product, including theater tickets,itspricewill go up). You can read more here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CapitalismHope this helps!"

Best.Response.Ever.

Can't afford a luxury item?Youcan't go! Boo hoo! Welcome to REAL LIFE.
"

See the source image

Pashacar
#34Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 7:13pm

In my opinion you can all can the patronizing capitalist rants, but did just want to note that there are two sides to the Ticketmaster dynamic pricing algorithm, as we’ve seen recently at Harry Potter. When demand is lower than predicted, prices can go down pretty substantially — for example, I recently noticed that a few late-October Hadestown performances have some front-mezz seats for $99, which is generally at or below what they’d be for a non-hit show. There aren’t always deals to be had, but with some flexibility, you don’t have to pay $300.

UncleCharlie
#35Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 8:56pm

Pashacar said: "In my opinion you can all can the patronizing capitalist rants.""

We can, but not everybody Can Can Can because those seats are so damn expensive too. Damn you capitalists.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#36Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 8:59pm

Hadestown prices

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#37Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 9:15pm

givesmevoice said: "the biggest issue is the verified resale option through Ticketmaster. I like that it IS an option (so that you don't wind up at a total loss if you can't use a ticket), but I don't like that there is no ceiling on how much you can resell your ticket for."

There is a ceiling. It is whatever people are willing to pay... Whenever people are saying "Someone is selling Hadestown tickets for $2500!", they aren't. If they were selling at that price, they wouldn't be there.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#38Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/1/19 at 9:18pm

JSquared2 said: "I'm pretty sure that Ticketmaster Verified Resale doesn't let you list tickets at lower than face value -- so no "good" deals to be had really."

I think that is set per show, and not a specific Ticketmaster policy. They just don't want it to seem like a show isn't selling. When a show uses that policy, they will all be on StubHub instead.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#39Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 1:39am

When I started this, I wasn't trying to say it was either good or bad. I was just shocked at prices even in the mezzanine. Also for the dates I was looking at, another crazy thing is one row was listed as "premium seats" & the price was $399, & then the next row was listed as "standard seats" & priced at $400.

If anything upsets me, it is that they held everything back from sale for the matinees that week, making it look like those shows were sold out. The only other shows with Friday matinees that week are Lightening Thief, Waitress, Christmas Carol, & Chicago & I'm not super interested in those. Super 1st world problem.

Anyways, glad to read that for others there are opportunities to snag well priced seats. The Playbill site says they do have some sort of online lottery/rush, & although that's not something I would use, I'm glad that is in place for students & young people who can't afford regular prices.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 1:59am

Pashacar said: "In my opinion you can all can the patronizing capitalist rants, but did just want to note that there are two sides to the Ticketmaster dynamic pricing algorithm, as we’ve seen recently at Harry Potter. When demand is lower than predicted, prices can go down pretty substantially — for example, I recently noticed that a few late-October Hadestownperformances have some front-mezz seats for $99, which is generally at or below what they’d be for a non-hit show. There aren’t always deals to be had, but with some flexibility, you don’t have to pay $300."

Yes. I bet no one complains here when the system works in their favour, such as the majority of instances where we can buy tickets that won’t even pay for the wages or the actors they are seeing on the stage. And then we also complain when a show is closing. We can’t have it all. But thankfully, thanks to capitalism it usually works in the favour of consumers due to soft demand. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/2/19 at 01:59 AM

GaryinLA
#41Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 5:41am

I got a single seat in Orch row P just off the aisle for $109 on Ticketmaster. I purchased it about 3 weeks in advance for this past Saturday's matinee. 

Evreything about the show was outstanding. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#42Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 8:47am

Pose2 said: "Hey there. Pulled some info I think you might find useful. Basically the U.S. runs on a capitalist system, where thepricesof goods, services and labor aredeterminedby supply and demand (i.e. if a lot of people want to buy a certain product, including theater tickets,itspricewill go up). You can read more here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CapitalismHope this helps!"

Best.Response.Ever.

Can't afford a luxury item?Youcan't go! Boo hoo! Welcome to REAL LIFE.
"

lol agreed! I do believe watching a Broadway show is a form of luxury. There are plenty of other shows in NYC that are much cheaper than a Broadway show to get one's theatre fix. 

Pashacar
#43Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 10:16am

qolbinau said: "Yes. I bet no one complains here when the system works in their favour, such as the majority of instances where wecan buy tickets that won’t even pay for the wages or the actors they are seeing on the stage. And then we also complain when a show is closing. We can’t have it all. But thankfully, thanks to capitalism it usually works in the favour of consumers due to soft demand."

If you want to keep evangelizing about capitalism, go ahead. I'm not sure what you think you are accomplishing. But there is lots more at work in this industry than pure free-market economics, including uber-rich producers willing to take a loss on many of their investments.

Updated On: 10/2/19 at 10:16 AM

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#44Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 1:58pm

Can't afford a luxury item? Youcan't go! Boo hoo! Welcome to REAL LIFE."

I think the underlying frustration here may be the feeling that the theater overall -- like many other things in this country -- is becoming increasingly out of reach, available to the "haves" but not the "have nots."  And unlike an $80,000 car or a piece of jewelry, I'd assume most people here would agree that many artistic endeavors provide *actual value* to both individuals and society as a whole.  Beyond the Wikipedia definition of what a buyer and seller will pay.

So yeah, ha ha, you can't afford a "luxury item."  I guess maybe that's what theater is now, and I should just deal with it.  And I know there is a valid distinction to be made between The Hottest Show on Broadway and Perfectly Good Regular Theater.  But I'd point you to the prices everywhere, from the theaters hosting national touring productions to regional theaters.

I get that money is required to keep all this going, and I'm happy to pay it.  But in case you hadn't noticed, much of the money keeping capital-T Theater alive is NOT the result of unfettered capitalism.  Hadestown may have existed either way, but the vast majority of theaters continue to function in large part because of grants, tax money, and private benefactors.

But....maybe I'm the one who's out of touch and/or value theater too highly, and people should just see a sh***ty high school production of Grease and be satisfied.

Joe Mayo
#45Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 2:56pm

dwwst12 said: "Can't afford a luxury item? Youcan't go! Boo hoo! Welcome to REAL LIFE."

I think the underlying frustration here may be the feeling that the theater overall -- like many other things in this country -- is becoming increasingly out of reach, available to the "haves" but not the "have nots." And unlike an $80,000 car or a piece of jewelry, I'd assume most people here would agree that many artistic endeavors provide *actual value* to both individuals and society as a whole. Beyond the Wikipedia definition of what a buyer and seller will pay.

So yeah, ha ha, you can't afford a "luxury item." I guess maybe that's what theater is now, and I should just deal with it. And I know there is a valid distinction to be made between The Hottest Show on Broadway and Perfectly Good Regular Theater. But I'd point you to the prices everywhere, from the theaters hosting national touring productions to regional theaters.

I get that money is required to keep all this going, and I'm happy to pay it. But in case you hadn't noticed, much of the money keeping capital-T Theater alive is NOT the result of unfettered capitalism. Hadestown may have existed either way, but the vast majority of theaters continue to function in large part because of grants, tax money, and private benefactors.

But....maybe I'm the one who's out of touch and/or value theater too highly, and people should just see a sh***ty high school production of Grease and be satisfied.
"

There are so many ways to obtain discounted theater tickets (secondary market, rush, lottery, TKTS, TDF). Flexibility and patience will allow the majority of people to experience it. On the secondary market, everything but TKAM could be had for as low as $55 + fees for orchestra level tickets.

If you are patient and play the lotteries, that drives the price down further. Moulin Rouge and DEH are the only online lotteries I haven't won in the past 6 months. I see shows here in NYC decidedely cheaper than when I lived in the midwest and probably on average have paid just under $40/ticket.

If you are someone who feels they have to plan ahead, or must see a certain show when they come to NY, you may have to pay a premium for the assurance of getting the ticket and the seating location that you want. But I find theater to be decidedly cheaper than going to a rock concert or a sporting event both of which offer roughly the same length of entertainment.

If one has to think about dropping $100 for anything the reality is you shouldnt be doing it as that money would be better used elsewhere. But if thats within a persons means, there are plenty of ways to obtain tickets at affordable prices.

UncleCharlie
#46Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 2:59pm

dwwst12 said: "Can't afford a luxury item? Youcan't go! Boo hoo! Welcome to REAL LIFE."

I think the underlying frustration here may be the feeling that the theater overall -- like many other things in this country -- is becoming increasingly out of reach, available to the "haves" but not the "have nots." And unlike an $80,000 car or a piece of jewelry, I'd assume most people here would agree that many artistic endeavors provide *actual value* to both individuals and society as a whole. Beyond the Wikipedia definition of what a buyer and seller will pay.

So yeah, ha ha, you can't afford a "luxury item." I guess maybe that's what theater is now, and I should just deal with it. And I know there is a valid distinction to be made between The Hottest Show on Broadway and Perfectly Good Regular Theater. But I'd point you to the prices everywhere, from the theaters hosting national touring productions to regional theaters.

I get that money is required to keep all this going, and I'm happy to pay it. But in case you hadn't noticed, much of the money keeping capital-T Theater alive is NOT the result of unfettered capitalism. Hadestown may have existed either way, but the vast majority of theaters continue to function in large part because of grants, tax money, and private benefactors.

"

Oh please. This "theater has become out of reach" argument is just so bloody tiresome. The luxury item is NOT anything more sophisticated than a high school production. The luxury item IS the hottest and most decorated Broadway hit of the season. There are easy rush and tottery tickets available to many Broadway shows, half price tockets at TKTS, TDF, $10 previews at Roundabout. And that's Broadway. Great Off-Broadway shows are available at steep discounts too. But yeah, if you have to see the hottest hit of the season in the first 6-12 months of it's run, you'll pay for the privilege. Or you can buy a cheap ticket to see 25 other Broadway shows. Your argument is like saying because people can't afford to buy a Jaguar, cars are out of reach to the common folk and they should just be happy riding a bicycle to work.

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#47Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 3:24pm

Again, I don't disagree with you about the "Hottest Ticket" issue.  But agree to disagree on how affordable theater is around the country to the average American, and how much it's not even on their radar as a result.

Would you say $160 is a lot for a family of four to see Peter Pan?  How many American families are going to shell out for that?  I use this as an example because here in Pittsburgh, we recently had the good fortune to have Jenn Colella star in Peter Pan in the CLO Summer Series.  It's obviously a family-oriented show, and that's how it was marketed.  It was performed at the lovely but cavernous Benedum Center, where 90% of the tours perform.  Tickets in the orchestra -- for basically a 90 minute kids show -- were $70-$90.  My kids are 3 and 6, and the youngest could theoretically still have a meltdown during the show, so I'm not dropping $300 for the four of us to sit close.  The $40 seats we bought were so far away that, if placed in a Broadway theater, would be approximately In The Apartment Building Two Doors Down.

Not-so-shockingly, there were a crap ton of empty seats, and we were able to move down to where we could *kinda* see Jenn's facial features.

I get that maybe this is just what things cost, and that's life, and people just won't see things like this very often.  But it's a shame. 

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#48Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 3:29pm

And I mostly agree with you, Joe Mayo.  Granted, you need what amounts to an advanced degree in Broadway Planning, which most of us here have....so it is doable, but most people are beyond clueless.  I've helped many friends -- even some who live in NYC -- who have no idea about any of this, even after Googling. It's not exactly written about a lot, compared to most other things in the marketplace.

gibsons2
#49Hadestown prices
Posted: 10/2/19 at 3:37pm

TodayTix has quite a few mid week days in October - November with $99 seats in mezzanine and $109 in rear orchestra.