pixeltracker

Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?- Page 2

Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 1:32am

VotePeron, even if they miss a few weeks of performances to do the move, tourist money doesn't really ramp up til late June/July. Or, perhaps they vacate the Winter Garden earlier.

We also have to remember that with the move probably comes a reduction in the cast size, orchestra, and other stage personnel, in addition to the physical production changes and modifications to the direction/choreo. And then there's casting, both principal and in the reduced ensemble cast. Doubt the original principals would all make the leap to the new venue, especially if a pay cut (even a moderate one) is involved.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#26Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 6:37am

People suggesting another theater have to realize there's nothing else available at this point. The producers have to grab what's available and not have the show be dark for several months. I'd assume they'd look to re-open probably by July 6 if possible.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

SouthernCakes
#27Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 9:48am

There’d be no pay cuts for the actors. Still a production contract. Doesn’t matter the theater size.

I could see it fitting nicely into the Barrymore and all the fun front of house stuff they could do.

Zion24
#28Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 10:57am

i would imagine they can really use a more intimate space-- while this is good news for Beetlejuice, its not great for the rest of us. Would hate to lose the Barrymore to a tourist trap for the next year+

ellbellthomps
#29Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 11:00am

I am really struggling to see how Beetlejuice could possibly fit in here. I've been backstage, it would be VERY hard to maintain the same sets they have now. It's tiny in the wings. 

Ugh, it would be so much easier if MM just took over the Shubert or Barrymore. 

bowtie7
#30Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 11:08am

The biggest difference between the Winter Garden and the Barrymore is the stage depth--40' vs 28'. But the size of the Barrymore(39'wide) is probably close to the dimensions planned for the upcoming tour. The single biggest factor is probably the cost of loading in and re-tech for the show.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#31Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 11:43am

There's a part of me that wonders if a transfer, even if they have a theatre, might be an economic mistake: this is a show that thrives on audience engagement and social media. It might make better financial sense to move forward with the tour and with licensing instead.

Given that there's never been a show that thrived so symbiotically with social media as Beetlejuice, it's hard to say what the right or wrong move would be.

SouthernCakes
#32Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 11:46am

I think the idea to open it on Broadway at a scaled back rate is smart and if it’s not successful, close it and take the sets out on tour. There is clearly still a market for the show. And Timbers and Co. are smart. They’ll fine a way to make it an event.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#33Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 12:42pm

I can't help but think about what moving the show will mean for the cast and crew of this one. It's a tricky situation because if the show DOES move, you are looking at making the choice to stay with the show but be out of work while it moves having to fill the time in with temporary work if you can but also potentially being out of a paycheck that whole time OR even possibly missing out on other opportunities that come up but can't be taken because you are still tied to the production. 

I mean would they allow for the cast to have outs if they agree to move? Like say someone like Leslie agrees to move but in the time the show is making the move she gets offered something else. Shows move so rarely like this it's hard to tell what kind of transition this will be for the cast.

So then also if they end up with new actors in these roles post move, will the move even have been worth it? The fanbase is not only very connected to the show but connected to the actors in it. Will the fans still embrace the show if the actors don't make the move with it?

SouthernCakes
#34Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 12:50pm

Not sure you understand how it all works! They’d likely load into the Barrymore with the new set and whatnot while the show is still running at the Winter Garden. Take a week off to retech it in the new space and run through it a few times, and open it.

Someone said earlier Mamma Mia was only closed for a week.

It’s not going to take months for them to figure it out.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#35Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 12:54pm

Having a smaller house for a show that is already doing good business isn’t exactly a bad thing.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#36Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 1:09pm

SouthernCakes said: "Not sure you understand how it all works! They’d likely load into the Barrymore with the new set and whatnot while the show is still running at the Winter Garden. Take a week off to retech it in the new space and run through it a few times, and open it.

Someone said earlier Mamma Mia was only closed for a week.

It’s not going to take months for them to figure it out.
"

Depends on how much they are moving and how much rehearsal they need since some tech changes will likely be needed. Let's be real, if they really are looking to downscale to a set that will eventually tour, they need to cut out anything and everything that makes use of trapdoors in the stage floor. Mamma Mia (closed Oct 19, 2013 and reopened Nov 02, 2013) is only the most recent example. You also have Pimpernel's move as one too which Closed May 30, 1999 but didn't reopen until Sep 10, 1999. I don't count the Chicago move in this though being only 3 days because that set is so basic and easy to move.

BroadwayBeebe
#37Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 1:19pm

I wonder if the schedule of Timbers is a possible factor in how possible this is. If they want to reopen in a new space as soon as possible they are right in what I’m predicting will be a busy awards season where he will be occupied with Moulin Rouge.

I personally didn’t care for it, but I am rooting for it to move with the continued success it has found. And I can only imagine the press opportunity of having the cast, led by Brightman, in costume marching the legion of enthusiastic fans from one house to another after the final performance similar to how “It’s Only a Play” did on Moving Day a few seasons back.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#38Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 2:35pm

With new spacing/blocking, a new set and the show needing to be re-teched. Plus load-in and load-out, this is why I'm giving them a month to re-open. They'd be foolish to re-open during July 4 weekend, so this is why I think the following week of July 7 seems more of a target for them to re-open

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

SouthernCakes
#39Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 2:59pm

Pimpernel was an entire overhaul of the show. Hence the timeline.

A lot of this can be accomplished while the show is still running at the Winter Garden. I don’t think it’d be enough time where cast members would look elsewhere for work.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#40Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 3:14pm

If they did an in-costume parade between the two spaces... they'd better lean into the irony and have a brass band playing "76 Trombones."

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#41Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 4:18pm

darquegk said: "If they did an in-costume parade between the two spaces... they'd better lean into the irony and have a brass band playing "76 Trombones.""

Oh my god. Thank you for that much-needed laugh on this dreary Friday!

Updated On: 2/28/20 at 04:18 PM

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#42Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 4:41pm

The move is definitely happening and Beetlejuice producers have officially accepted the Barrymore (per insider friends), but still TBD on timing.

bowtie7
#43Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 6:02pm

Please correct me if this isn't correct--but as I understand it, if they move directly to a new theatre, the actor contracts would carry over to the new location. If the production wants to downsize the cast (like Beauty and Beast did) it would need to be closed for at least 6 weeks (and would also have to negotiate new contracts with the entire cast, though the minimum production code salary would still apply). Does anyone know how the musician minimum would be handled with a move?

Garquegk says:

"If they did an in-costume parade between the two spaces..."

I seems to remember the original 42nd Street doing this between the Majestic and St James--an old David Merrick publicity stunt

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/544935623657921902/

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#44Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/28/20 at 6:26pm

I would be surprised the producers would want to do business with the Shubert Organization considering they pushed them under a bus in the first place.

However the other 2 big theatre operators don’t seem to have theatre coming available any time soon and the Shuberts viirtually own all the small theatres.

Tommymac 2
#45Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 2/29/20 at 11:29pm

jonah3500 said: "This seems possible, but my main question is: would Beetlejuice be eligible for Tonys if its a slightly different production? Seems like a possibility, but I dont know what the customary thing is."

I’m down for a smaller theater, if they can pull it off. ... it would make sense if they were  to use the tour set. And yes. I highly doubt most of the cast will be transferring. 

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#46Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 3/1/20 at 1:27am

Phantom of London said: "I would be surprised the producers would want to do business with the Shubert Organization considering they pushed them under a bus in the first place.

However the other 2 big theatre operators don’t seem to have theatre coming available any time soon and the Shubertsviirtually own all the small theatres.
"

They weren't exactly pushed under a bus. They signed a lease that stated if they fell under a certain gross amount for two weeks that they could be kicked out. They agreed to those terms. They fell under the amount and the theater owner enforced the terms both parties agreed to in advance. And the theater owner gave them plenty of notice. 

Zion24
#47Beetlejuice to the Barrymore?
Posted: 3/1/20 at 1:42am

Phantom of London said: "I would be surprised the producers would want to do business with the Shubert Organization considering they pushed them under a bus in the first place.

However the other 2 big theatre operators don’t seem to have theatre coming available any time soon and the Shubertsviirtually own all the small theatres.
"

still wild to me how many people seem to not understand how basic contracts/business works. there was no bus. there was no malice.