pixeltracker

Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020- Page 2

Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#25Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 9:35am

Brave Sir Robin2 said: "The lack of Kalukango and Stanley is a bummer...."

really dumbfounding neither got nominated.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 9:44am

The Play category is bizarre and omits some of the biggest successes and award-garnering productions in favor of things like... Seared.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#27Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 10:35am

I feel like I don't see how anyone wins besides Adrienne Warren. Agree it might've been different had the season concluded, but now I don't see another obvious choice.

Falsettolands
#28Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 11:01am

I'm constantly puzzled by the widespread award snub of The Thin Place.

Obviously it could very well be that I'm in the minority, and I fully respect anyone who didn't find the play to be as notable or captivating, but I thought it was just one of the most thrilling plays this season next to The Sound Inside- also snubbed.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#29Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 12:27pm

I agree with almost everything that people have said about the nominations so far, including comments from Kad (about the play category), raddersons (about Medea), Falsettolands (about Thin Place), and also about the lack of a clear winner. 

@matt1982 - As noted in my original post, and also at the bottom of the nominations page, Mary-Louise Parker has won before, and is therefore ineligible. 

Regarding Kulakango and Stanley:

As I might have said earlier, I missed Kulakango in the role, so I can't comment on her omission. But I did see Stanley, and while I think she's very talented, I'm not at all surprised that she was left out. I personally think Lauren Patten gave the only good acting performance in that show, except maybe the guy who played the dad, but that wasn't much of a role. I thought Paulus' one-note, cartoonish direction, and Diablo Cody's utterly inept book, pretty much screwed over all of the other actors out of a good performance. I don't doubt that Stanley was capable of delivering a tour-de-force performance as a Diana Goodman-type character, but this, for me, was not it. 

Updated On: 5/1/20 at 12:27 PM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#30Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 12:36pm

Strange list. My money is on Danny Burstein. 

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#31Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 1:06pm

Interesting nomination for only Britney Mack from Six.

My top 3 to win are:
-Christian Borle
-Adrianne Warren
-Larry Owens

broadway213
#32Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 1:16pm

shocked by a lot of the snubs here. 

My heart gives it to Danny Burstein- but sadly Burstein is not in the type of role this award usually goes to. I am thinking they may give it to Deidre O'Connell who is a theater staple AND gave a phenomenal performance this season. 

Updated On: 5/1/20 at 01:16 PM

Wayman_Wong
#33Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 1:31pm

I stand corrected about Mary-Louise Parker. I missed seeing her name initially at the very end of the press release.

And in my opinion, Aaron Tveit should've been nominated for ''Moulin Rouge!'' Each time I've seen it, he's sung and acted his heart out. And for the record, he's a past Drama League nominee for ''Catch Me If You Can,'' so he has been recognized before.

Updated On: 5/1/20 at 01:31 PM

Ledaero Profile Photo
Ledaero
#34Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 2:12pm

This is a very odd list. Agree with many above, but a weird surprise that hasn’t been talked about is Brenock O’ Connor getting nominated for SING STREET and Gus Halper getting left out. I’m actually pretty excited that he got nominated, he really killed the performance and added so much charm to the show, but his nomination feels very out-of-the-blue, especially with Gus Halper not in the ring also.

From the list, I’m hoping Jake Gyllenhaal takes it for A LIFE. Emotionally devastating performance that he just nailed. I often think back to a moment in the play when I saw it when he was talking about his dad and all he did was touch the piano key before he recoiled into utter pain and grief. He’s also done so much for the NYC theatre scene in the past 5ish years with the amount of work he’s decided to do on stage rather than in film, and he’s consistently excellent. So fingers crossed for that.

tytonius
#35Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 2:16pm

Danny Burstein was superb!!!

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#36Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/1/20 at 4:57pm

I could see Pryce, Burstein, Warren, or Gyllenhaal taking it, in that order.

A Potter Line
#37Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 5/4/20 at 5:03am

Should be Adrianne Warren this year. I saw her in previews and she was spectacular. It was like Tina herself was right up there on stage. *chills*

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#38Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 9:47am

Winners announced:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Danny-Burstein-MOULIN-ROUGE-THE-INHERITANCE-and-More-Win-2020-Drama-League-Awards-20200618

And the winner is: Danny Burstein

I've said many times before on this board that I think Danny Burstein is talented, but his performances rarely ever move me in any way. I find him pretty boring, as a performer, personally (My favorite performance of his so far was actually Herr Schultz in Cabaret). That said, he's been a big presence in the theatre community for many years now, and he's undoubtedly a beloved performer - almost universally (I'm one of the few dissenters). So in this unusual year, with such a bizarre list of nominees, and no obvious winner, I think he's a decent choice. It's also some good news for Burstein in what I'm sure is an extremely difficult time for him. I do think I would have preferred Adrienne Warren over him, but she has a long career ahead of her, and will likely have many more chances.

Having said that, Moulin rouge winning best musical really irritates me. It was up against Girl From the North Country, Sing Street, Octet, Soft Power, Strange Loop, AND Secret Life of Bees - any one of which was exponentially more deserving than Moulin Rouge, IMO. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#39Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 9:51am

I love Danny, but I cannot believe this is the role he wins a Drama League Aware for. This was definitely a "career" award.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#40Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 11:09am

Also, it's worth noting that this is the first time since 2003 that someone has won for a supporting role (Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray was the last one) 

EDIT: and actually I just remembered that Fierstein was considered Leading at the Tonys. But that was a weird call on their part, right? It's been a while since I've seen any version of the show, but isn't Edna really more of a supporting role, by usual standards? 

Updated On: 6/18/20 at 11:09 AM

SouthernCakes
#41Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 12:05pm

Him singing “chandelier” was pretty cringe worthy but he’s a great performer so congrats!!

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#42Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 1:03pm

The Drama League is a bit different than the other awards-granting organizations, because the general public can be part of the Drama League.  You just have to pay a membership fee.  So you can get weird winners for Distinguished Performance, like Lin-Manuel Miranda for Hamilton.  Miranda is an extremely gifted songwriter, but he did not even give one of the three best performances in Hamilton, let alone the entire season.  (IMO, all three Tony winners for Hamilton gave better performances than Miranda did.)

I think Moulin Rouge and Danny Burstein had an advantage here, because Moulin Rouge has been running a long time, and probably a lot more people saw Moulin Rouge than any of the other nominated musicals, especially with the spring "catch-up" opportunity being unavailable this year.  That being said, Burstein gave an award-worthy performance, and I'm very happy he won.  It was going to be him, Christian Borle, or Adrienne Warren, and any of the three would have been worthy.

I found it interesting that someone said Burstein gives "boring" performances.  I can see why someone would say that, because he's not that charismatic in general (he's probably the most charismatic I've ever seen him in Moulin Rouge).  But I think that his "everyman" demeanor is part of what makes him a great actor.  He's very natural in his performances.  I would say the same thing about Norbert Leo Butz.  They are not flashy, and their singing voices don't draw attention.  But they are very believable as actors. 

I'm a little surprised A Soldier's Play won over Betrayal, though. 

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#43Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 1:33pm

mikem said: "I found it interesting that someone said Burstein gives "boring" performances. I can see why someone would say that, because he's not that charismatic in general (he's probably the most charismatic I've ever seen him in Moulin Rouge). But I think that his "everyman" demeanor is part of what makes him a great actor. He's very natural in his performances. I would say the same thing about Norbert Leo Butz. They are not flashy, and their singing voices don't draw attention. But they are very believable as actors."

That's a perfectly fair point, which is why I'm not scratching my head wondering "Why do people like Burstein??" He is undoubtedly talented. But for me, it's a deadly combination of (a) predictability, (b) just not being quite good enough to get away with predictability. IMO, Norbert Leo Butz has stretched himself in his career way more than Burstein has, and I also find him more charismatic, with a more commanding stage presence. Then there are people like, say, Mark Rylance, for example. Rylance has a very particular style of acting that could definitely be described as "predictable" once you've seen enough of his work. And yet, I consider him to be the greatest living stage actor, because what he lacks in variety, he makes up for in sheer genius. Burstein, for me, doesn't have that kind of genius. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#44Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 1:57pm

I find it disheartening that people are criticizing instead of celebrating. Mr. Burstein deserves this award and I couldn't be happier for him!!

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#45Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 2:05pm

HenryTDobson said: "I find it disheartening that people are criticizing instead of celebrating. Mr. Burstein deserves this award and I couldn't be happier for him!!"

Why? Burtstein is an artist, he won an award for his art, and I’m explaining my critiques of his art as a reaction to the award. That’s one of the main purposes of this message board, not just celebration. 

I acknowledged that Burstein has made valuable contributions to the theatre community, and I acknowledged that it must be nice for him to receive this recognition while he deals with troubling times in his personal life. 

Jarethan
#46Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 2:26pm

JBroadway said: "Also, it's worth noting that this is the first time since 2003 that someone has won for a supporting role (Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray was the last one)

EDIT: and actually I just remembered that Fierstein was considered Leading at the Tonys. But that was a weird call on their part, right? It's been a while since I've seen any version of the show, but isn't Ednareally more of a supporting role, by usual standards?
"

Absolutely.  I assume that Harvey was recognized for his contribution to Hairspray overall, unless it was a rotten year overall.

Colin852
#47Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 2:35pm

Congrats to everyone at Moulin Rouge...well-deserved!

Jarethan
#48Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 2:46pm

I have to admit that I never thought a supporting performance would win this, but his was the best performance in the show and he certainly has a lot of excellent performances in his portfolio, so i am seeing this as a career winning award; and I don't have a problem with that.

Re the NL Butz comparisons, I find it really interesting.  IMO Burstein is more consistent; I have loved many NLB performances, and have disliked some in cases where I felt that he was overacting.  (I will admit that he won a Tony award (in a mediocre category) for one of them).

Wayman_Wong
#49Drama League's Distinguished performance Award 2020
Posted: 6/18/20 at 2:53pm

''Congrats to everyone at Moulin Rouge...well-deserved!''

Couldn't agree more. I realize it's a minority opinion on this board, but I love ''Moulin Rouge!'' Glad to see it recognized as the artistic knockout and box office hit it deserves to be. Each time I've seen it, the incredible cast, led by Aaron Tveit & Karen Olivo, and eye-popping production blow me away.

As for Danny Burstein, congrats to him. It is rare for a supporting performance to take this award, but he deserves it. And if it weren't for coronavirus crashing this season, I have no doubt he would've gotten a 7th Tony nomination by now and finally won. (Oddly, the Drama Desk didn't even nominate him!)

On the other hand, I don't consider Edna a supporting role in ''Hairspray.'' Harvey Fierstein won the Tony and shared the Drama Desk for Best Actor in a Musical. And the Outer Critics nominated him in that same category.

Updated On: 6/18/20 at 02:53 PM