OUR Hamilton Reviews

schubox
#50OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 6:19pm

poisonivy2 said: "Jarethan said: "poisonivy2 said: "Well I saw it and compared it to the cast I saw in 2018:

https://humbledandoverwhelmed.blogspot.com/2020/07/hamilton-on-disney-plus-happy.html
"

I enjoyed your read, in particular two themes:

-- I was criticized wildly on this board when I said that my one issue with Hamilton was that I felt it wasover-choreographed (over-directed). Ifis a great musical, but I felt it could even be greater if the dancers were not in full motion most of the time. It was forme distracting.

-- I have seen many musicals many times; rarely have I felt so strongly that the original cast so far exceeded the subsequent casts I saw (3 additional times) that my view seemed almost pretentious ('I saw the original cast, did you?). I don't expect anyone ever to approach Daveed Diggs' performance, just the way I don't expect anyone ever to approach Nathan Lane as Max B. or Angela Lansbury as Mame or, to cite another non-leading role, Frances Ruffelle in Les Mis. But he is only one. The three subsequent times I saw it, no-one came close to Phillippa Soo, Renee Elise Goldsberry, LMM (this is probably me...he IS Hamilton to me), and Christopher Jackson. I have seen two other people who I felt were as good as Leslie Odom Jr., but I was never as bowled over by his performance as the other ones. It will be interesting to see if my opinion changes with the benefit of close-ups when I see the show tonight.

The original cast of Hamilton struck lightening in a way that very few shows that I have seen ever have, and just can't be duplicated. Of course, that doesn't make Hamilton any less great a musical; just makes subsequent performances competing with a very high initial bar.
"

WHen I was watching the film I was amazed at how great some of the non-leads were. Like Anthony Ramos as Philipor Jonathan Groff as King George. Like wow.

Just curious: did you see Javier Munoz as Hamilton? How did he compared to LMM?
"

I saw both, and while I liked Javier's performance, I feel like Lin just brings more emotion to it. Or at least the type of emotion that resonated with me

schubox
#51OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 6:20pm

Sutton Ross said: "poisonivy2 said: "Becayse it cannot be said enough:

Philipa Soo + Renee Elise Goldsberry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lexi Lawson/Mandy Gonzalez (the Eliza/Angelica I saw). Omg.
"

All day every day until the end of time. The original cast is the very best cast of Hamilton. Not up for debate.
"

Speaking to that, how does this affect the stage show when it opens back up. Who is going to be lining up to see the stage show now that this copy exists? I kind of burned myself out seeing it three times in the opening year, but could have seen myself revisiting it on a tour or something in a few years. But why would I spend hundreds of dollars on that when this definitive version exists?

Fosse76
#52OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 6:41pm

Carol Channing, or Change said: "I just finished watching, and I'll admit to having had high expectations, which isn't always the best idea, but in this case, those expectations were absolutely met and even surpassed. Usually, when I watch pro-shots of musicals, there's some point where I get the sense that the camera angle being shown is leaving something out that I wanted to see, but I never felt that way once during this one (Jonathan Groff's excessive spluttering is part of his charm).

It no doubt helps that the show's director also directed the filming, so it is arguably better "focused" than other filmed shows.

I remember when Cats was filmed and people argued about the different angles and close ups. I hadn't seen the show, and thought the recording was great. Then I saw the show, and understood more why they complained. 

The audio mixing seemed impeccable to me as well. Honestly, I think it'd be pretty difficult to dislike this recording of Hamilton, and I'm curious to see what my rather contrarian friends who claim they don't like Hamilton will say after watching this.

I thought the show was ok, and the film certainly didn't change my opinion. It's not the greatest thing ever written. It is certainly overhyped. A "shiny" recording doesn't distract me from the show's flaws. But that really neither here nor there.

Carol Channing, or Change Profile Photo
Carol Channing, or Change
#53OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 6:45pm

Fosse76 said: "I thought the show was ok, and the film certainly didn't change my opinion. It's not the greatest thing ever written. It is certainly overhyped. A "shiny" recording doesn't distract me from the show's flaws. But that really neither here nor there."

Yeah, that makes sense, and I understand that Hamilton isn't everyone's favorite show. I was more interested to see if they would nitpick little things about this recording itself just because they didn't like the show.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#54OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 6:48pm

Fosse76 said:
“Actually, there's a marketing requirement that Hamilton might not have met. However, it's vague enough for them to argue that they've met it. And there is some vague wording for exempting the theatrical release requirement due to COVID-19. They use the term "initially released" for the exemption. Moviesmay still have to have a theatrical run. It's not very clear. And may be the main reason it was submitted for a rating.”

No, movies released online will not require a theatrical run afterward. It’s not vague.

https://variety.com/2020/film/awards/new-oscar-rules-movies-not-in-theaters-1234591702/

Updated On: 7/3/20 at 06:48 PM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#55OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 7:02pm

Also, not for nothing, Disney has never won a Best Picture Oscar, so there’s no way in hell they won’t submit it if it’s eligible. In addition, the Oscars air on ABC, which is owned by Disney, and Hamilton would be an automatic ratings booster for the ceremony.

Updated On: 7/3/20 at 07:02 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#56OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 7:13pm

Speaking to that, how does this affect the stage show when it opens back up. Who is going to be lining up to see the stage show now that this copy exists? I kind of burned myself out seeing it three times in the opening year, but could have seen myself revisiting it on a tour or something in a few years. But why would I spend hundreds of dollars on that when this definitive version exists?

That's an amazing question, and I honestly don't know. I think this is a love letter to people who simply cannot afford to travel to NYC or afford theater tickets in general.  Which is the majority of the world, unfortunately. The fact that they can experience this for 7 bucks with the best cast that show has ever had fills me with incredible joy. It's the most perfect version of the show and I'm thrilled for people. Truly.

But, people will still want to see it live, despite some of the unfortunate stories that my friends in Cleveland, Buffalo, and San Antonio told me about regarding the touring casts. There will be a want to see this show for a very long time, some people think the show is the star, and that is all they need. 

MemorableUserName
#57OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 7:26pm

schubox said: "Speaking to that, how does this affect the stage show when it opens back up. Who is going to be lining up to see the stage show now that this copy exists? I kind of burned myself out seeing it three times in the opening year, but could have seen myself revisiting it on a tour or something in a few years. But why would I spend hundreds of dollars on that when this definitive version exists?"

It's inevitable that it will have some effect, and the makers clearly had that in mind when they delayed selling the film for so long after it was made. When reports first began circulating about it in 2018, potential buyers were being asked not to show it until 2020 or 2021, presumably to protect the stage show. But at the same time, film and theater are very different, and many people will still want to see something live. Why do people go to revivals of Grease or The Sound of Music or any property where a beloved movie already exists? Seeing something live in a theater still has a particular magic all its own (thankfully for all of us rooting for the industry to get back up again).

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#58OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 7:52pm

schubox said: "Speaking to that, how does this affect the stage show when it opens back up. Who is going to be lining up to see the stage show now that this copy exists? I kind of burned myself out seeing it three times in the opening year, but could have seen myself revisiting it on a tour or something in a few years. But why would I spend hundreds of dollars on that when this definitive version exists?"

The tour is scheduled the hit Pittsburgh in January 2021. IF it still comes, and already having seen the tour twice before, and now the movie twice today already, I’d still pay to see it LIVE. I’m a season ticket holder and would be disappointed of course if it didn’t come, but understand completely that we need to safeguard the cast and guests. 

SFFrontRow
#59OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 8:04pm

dramamama611 said: "I cried early on, unexpectedly, too. I think it might have to do with the gift so many have been given.

It was made with so much love and care.
(Sorry for my uncharacteristic sappiness.)

"

Go ahead and be sappy, I have been blubbering for weeks about our "new normal" (and part of it is the social change but also the fact that for the first time since 1986 I was unable to make my normal 15 day Spring end of theater season trip to NYC.

As for this Hamilton film/video, it is pretty much what I expected and really awesome. Renee Elise Goldsberry and Daveed Diggs are still my favorites and the rest of the cast and the production is as dazzling as when I saw this in November 2015.

Fred Astaire used to insist that his dance pieces be filmed from head to toe to give the viewer the full effect. The close ups and various camera angles in this production definitely enhance the nuances of the performances, like you are part of the ensemble. I saw this front row Mezzanine in Nov 2015 and my view was pretty good, but I feel these add something extra.

I do have other DVD's of filmed Broadway productions and this compares with some of my favorites (Into the Woods, Sunday in the Park with George, Company) and avoids the wooden feel of the ones I didn't like (and I won't be "catty" and name it/them LOL). It is a definite treat to see the individuals who originated their roles. I wish more productions would film the originators for public consumption (Hadestown being one specific recent show).

Lastly, not sure a film adaptation would have been as good, but the trailer for In the Heights looks pretty awesome so I could be wrong on that. And as far as Emmy vs Oscar recognition, don't really care as no other accolades could make this any better than it is right now.

Updated On: 7/3/20 at 08:04 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#60OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 9:42pm

If Hamilton wins any Oscars that means LMM gets his EGOT right?

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#61OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 9:51pm

When I first saw Hamilton on Broadway in 2015, it felt like a natural extension of having Barack Obama as our President.

When I saw it again (3x in Chicago, 2x in OKC), it felt like a revelatory reaction to the new administration.

And now watching it today, it feels like an embodiment of the current environment we live in with the re-emergence of BLM.

That’s the brilliance of Hamilton for me.

I got misty a few times, but totally sobbed (as usual) during Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story...

Having seen the OBC in 2015 (with exception of Groff (who was out to film the Looking finale movie so we got Andrew Rannells - not exactly chopped liver), it was nice to see them up close and personal like this as I saw the show from the last row of the rear mezzanine of the Richard Rodgers in 2015.

I remember pulling for LMM to win for Lead Actor at the Tony’s. Having seen it again today, I can fully appreciate why Odom Jr. won. That’s no disrespect to LMM who while not the most gifted singer, gives a nuanced, layered, emotional performance (the same one that reached me at the back of the RR in 2015). Other standouts among an all-Star cast for me: Renée Elise Goldsberry, Daveed Diggs, Phillipa Soo, Christopher Jackson, and Jonathan Groff.

FlyHigh523 Profile Photo
FlyHigh523
#62OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 9:53pm

Phillipa Soo, Daveed Diggs, and Leslie Odom Jr. give the performance of a LIFETIME in this. Wow, wow, wow.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#63OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 10:00pm

poisonivy2 said: "If Hamilton wins any Oscars that means LMM gets his EGOT right?"

Only if it wins Best Picture, or he wins Best Actor. 

Updated On: 7/3/20 at 10:00 PM

KingOfTheMine Profile Photo
KingOfTheMine
#64OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 10:04pm

Just finished, and I was really thrilled with this recording!  I saw the OBC in January 2016.  I haven't gone back in the years since because I felt like nothing else would quite compare to the magic of that cast telling that story.  I'm so glad that their performances have been preserved and that it was done so expertly.  I agree with other posters that the balance of close-ups and full stage shots was perfect.  It was great to be able to see nuances in the performances that not everyone can see in the theater.

schubox
#65OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 10:16pm

That pick up/close up they do of Odom’s face in Non Stop right after Hamilton asks him to write the federalist papers with him is the kind of stuff you can’t see from the audience, so good

bryan32
#66OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 10:24pm

I had a hard time get ting it to stop frezzing up.

KingOfTheMine Profile Photo
KingOfTheMine
#67OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 10:47pm

FlyHigh523 said: "Phillipa Soo, Daveed Diggs, and Leslie Odom Jr. give the performance of a LIFETIME in this. Wow, wow, wow. "

Agreed on all these, but also Renée Elise Goldsberry.  She totally earned that Tony.  So many standouts.  And I thought Anthony Ramos came across way better on film than he did in the theater.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#68OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 10:49pm

CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "If Hamilton wins any Oscars that means LMM gets his EGOT right?"

"

Couldn't it get nominations for Score and Song? And then LMM would win an EGOT if he won those.

MemorableUserName
#69OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 10:59pm

poisonivy2 said: "CT2NYC said: "poisonivy2 said: "If Hamilton wins any Oscars that means LMM gets his EGOT right?"

"

Couldn't it get nominations for Score and Song? And then LMM would win an EGOT if he won those.
"

No, the score and song have to be written specifically for the film to be eligible. The current rules are "an original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the motion picture," " [a]n original score is a substantial body of music that serves as original dramatic underscoring and is written specifically for the motion picture by the submitting composer(s)," and "the work must be recorded for use in the motion picture prior to any other usage, including public performance or exploitation through any media whatsoever."

Updated On: 7/3/20 at 10:59 PM

Fosse76
#70OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 11:02pm

CT2NYC said: "Fosse76 said:
“Actually, there's a marketing requirement that Hamilton might not have met. However, it's vague enough for them to argue that they've met it. And there is some vague wording for exempting the theatrical release requirement due to COVID-19. They use the term "initially released" for the exemption. Moviesmay still have to have a theatrical run. It's not very clear. And may be the main reason it was submitted for a rating.”

No, movies released online will not require a theatrical run afterward. It’s not vague.

https://variety.com/2020/film/awards/new-oscar-rules-movies-not-in-theaters-1234591702/
"

I didn't say it was vague, I said there was some vague wording, in the actual rules. They use the term "initial release." That obviously means that it can't first show up as a DVD or Blu-Ray,  But the Academy can come back and say that the initial release doesn't preclude a theatrical release. I doubt they would, but they could. Of course, they can simply change any rule.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#71OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 11:15pm

Fosse76 said: "CT2NYC said: "Fosse76 said:

"

I didn't say it was vague, I said there was some vague wording, in the actual rules. They use the term "initial release." That obviously means that it can't first show up as a DVD or Blu-Ray, But the Academy can come back and say that the initial release doesn't preclude a theatrical release. I doubt they would, but they could. Of course, they can simply change any rule.
"

You're just grasping at straws here. There is absolutely no reason why they would come back and say anything, or change the rule after the fact. Any wording that you might think is vague is clarified by Variety, a trade publication. I guess I just don't understand why you're arguing all the facts that are being presented, without presenting a shred of evidence to the contrary. "Because I don't think it should be eligible" isn't a good enough reason.

jimmycurry01
#72OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/3/20 at 11:45pm

I have not been a huge Hamilton fan, but I really enjoyed watching this. It was well filmed, though I still think Miss Saigon was a better film of a live production. The performances were all totheater and the production really is impressive. The set looks great, the lighting is really cool. I was generally very impressed. I am still glad I didn't drop $400 to see it live. I do think the show is a bit over-hyped, but it is still, clearly, good theatre. If this achieves all of the success that Disney is hoping it will, I hope studios give this model another go with other successful productions.

Jarethan
#73OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/4/20 at 12:01am

poisonivy2 said: "If Hamilton wins any Oscars that means LMM gets his EGOT right?

I would assume LMM would theoretically be eligible for Picture if he is producer (I seem to recall the he was listed as such in the credits) or Best Actor.  He would not be eligible for score, song, etc.  Movie musicals have been eligible for score or song only if they were written for the movie.

After seeing it, I am more than convinced (of course, I could be wrong) that this is not a movie.  It is more like the musicals that have been taped / filmed since the Carrie Underwood Sound of Music, all of which were nominated for Emmies.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#74OUR Hamilton Reviews
Posted: 7/4/20 at 12:14am

I didn’t love the editing or Lin’s performance, but everything else was great!