pixeltracker

Is Diana going to Netflix?- Page 3

Is Diana going to Netflix?

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#50Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 7:46am

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

sparksatmidnight
#51Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 8:35am

I mean, I can see it being pulled off if you test the whole cast, quarantine them all in an hotel, test them again after two weeks and then film. Even doing all of this it will probably still be one of the cheapest productions Netflix ever paid for (not accounting for rights and whatnot - which shouldn't be that expensive either given that this is not some huge hit)

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#52Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 8:58am

COVID logistics aside, this weirdly all makes sense. Frank Marshall is the lead producer and he has a relationship with Netflix; Netflix is desperate for content; they have The Crown and obviously data must show that there's an appetite for British fare + musicals.

And, for a production that had a SLIM chance of ever recouping, they probably got north of $1mil from Netflix + expenses. So they're still far off from recoupment, but it's a tiny win for investors.

If this works out, it will be interesting to see if Netflix and other streamers jump on this idea.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#53Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 8:59am

Damn, looks like the OP was right again. It's from a valid Twitter account!

I was really looking forward to this one, so I'm glad we can see it. I hope they do the same Company and Mrs. Doubtfire.

sparksatmidnight
#54Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 9:05am

Eat your heart out, Beetlejuice

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#55Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 9:15am

This is still nothing more than a rumor, and it appears Baz may just be piggybacking on the "source" which isn't one. I am not holding my breath (not to mention that there are a lot of hurdles that are not likely to be jumped in short order) but we shall see.

sparksatmidnight
#56Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 9:17am

More details to come rather sooner than later (like, really soon)

ddenoff2 Profile Photo
ddenoff2
#57Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 9:30am

will know much more after a 9:30 conference call and will share what am able to share

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#58Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 9:43am

thanks ddenoff2

TheaterGeek
#59Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:05am

https://variety.com/2020/legit/news/diana-musical-netflix-broadway-1234732793/ This a legitimate enough news source for you guys? Diana going to Netflix

MollyJeanneMusic
#60Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:05am

Well, it's officially news on Playbill and Broadway.com, so I think it's more than a rumor at this point...

Playbill article

Broadway.com article

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#61Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:06am

BWW is confirming it. I still don’t understand how it’s happening. Equity is allowing 20 people to sing and dance together on stage again?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Confirmed-DIANA-Will-Premiere-on-Netflix-Next-Year-Ahead-of-Broadway-Opening-20200812

troynow
#62Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:09am

SO... am I still posting gossip?
2/2... Jokes aside, I am very confused how this possible...

troynow
#63Diana going to Netflix

Thank you!

JohnyBroadway
#64Diana going to Netflix

In the article released by Broadway.com it says that they've worked closely with Actors Equity and it is believed that the cast will quarentine together. (ala NBA, Big Brother.)

sparksatmidnight
#65Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:16am

NYTimes reporting that even the HVAC system will be changed to allow for a more safe environment:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/theater/diana-musical-netflix.html?searchResultPosition=2

Guess it's never opening on Broadway, then lol

RW3
#66Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:16am

Roe Hartrampf posting an IG story post about someone subletting his apartment next month definitely makes more sense now...

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#67Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:19am

Obviously news sources have it by now but the show confirmed everything on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDyr-VzjRoS/?igshid=1hv8g787u7ax0

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#68Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:19am

JohnyBroadway said: "In the article released by Broadway.com it says that they've worked closely with Actors Equity and it is believed that the cast will quarentine together. (ala NBA, Big Brother.)"

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/199788/diana-musical-to-hit-netflix-before-broadway-return-marking-musical-first-for-streaming-giant/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#69Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:25am

I remain skeptical. A few quick questions? What about the other unions? governmental authorities? 

The track record of the lead producers does not especially suggest that everything has been thought through so put me in the I'll Believe It When I See It camp.

Kimbo
#70Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:32am

You have to wonder, with many speculating that in actuality Broadway won’t be back till much later in 2021, which other current shows are exploring this (and I’m sure many are). I would think some shows that might feel like no-brainers, like Plaza Suite and Mean Girls, are unlikely to be an ideal fit for filming without an audience, simply because comedies would seem to need the ingredient of laughter.

But after the success of Hamilton, which seems in no way likely to slow the success of the stage show, and if an unproven show like Diana can get a deal like this, then I’d be surprised if other less comedic offerings such as the Tony winner Hadestown, the well-reviewed Bob Dylan-infused Girl from the North Country, and maybe even Jagged Little Pill - all of which benefit from an audience but which I could see translating well to a filmed taping even in the absence of crowds - and none of which seem on the surface like obvious candidates for an eventual major-motion-picture adaptation - weren’t exploring similar ideas at this point.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#71Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:46am

Insane that this is happening, but at least something is coming out of this shutdown. I’ll be crossing my fingers for Hadestown to follow suit.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#72Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:56am

I really loved this show. As I said back in March (which was what like 10 years ago?), it’s a total throwback to the british rock musicals of the 80s which I wasn’t expecting and made me so dang happy.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#73Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 10:57am

HogansHero said: "I remain skeptical. A few quick questions? What about the other unions? governmental authorities?

The track record of the lead producers does not especially suggest that everything has been thought through so put me in the I'll Believe It When I See It camp.
"

Media production is currently able to resume in NY- I don’t really see anything in the reopening requirements that would prevent this.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#74Diana going to Netflix
Posted: 8/12/20 at 11:17am

Kad said: "Media production is currently able to resume in NY- I don’t really see anything in the reopening requirements that would prevent this."

I think this perfectly highlights the problem. There are, as I am sure you know, lengthy rules. Can a musical comply in an old Broadway house? My superficial knowledge suggests there will be major problems.